Removed my M8 lens cover yielding great results!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

domotang

Apr 2, 2008
I wasn't very happy with the photos from the M8. As a photographer I knew this poor performance wasn't the product of a low resolution sensor, but instead a non-photo grade plastic HTC chose to place over the camera. Causes fringing, a drop in a f stop, and diffraction.
I decided to remove the crappy plastic lens cover from my M8. The results paid off and my photos no longer exhibit those nasty anomalies. And photographic test show a 1.7 f stop gain.
I removed the lens in one piece so I can replace at a later time.
I don't suggest this to everyone. But it is a good solution for those sensitive to the issues above.
a4agu3u4.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

brockyneo

Jan 17, 2010
In The Matrix
I wasn't very happy with the photos from the M8. As a photographer I knew this poor performance wasn't the product of a low resolution sensor, but instead a non-photo grade plastic HTC chose to place over the camera. Causes fringing, a drop in a f stop, and diffraction.
I decided to remove the crappy plastic lens cover from my M8. The results paid off and my photos no longer exhibit those nasty anomalies. And photographic test show a 1.7 f stop gain.
I don't suggest this to everyone. But it is a good solution for those sensitive to the issues above.
a4agu3u4.jpg

Wow :eek: you got some balls to do that to the m8 lol trouble you will have tho is dust and crap getting into the optics and the internels :crying:

But well done like the fact that it can make the pics a bit nicer shame someone couldn't make glass ones so we can just replace the plastic one ;)

Reactions: domotang

domotang

Apr 2, 2008
Wow :eek: you got some balls to do that to the m8 lol trouble you will have tho is dust and crap getting into the optics and the internels :crying:

But well done like the fact that it can make the pics a bit nicer shame someone couldn't make glass ones so we can just replace the plastic one ;)

Perhaps I can order a cut of ultrathin photographic glass from Hoya or B&W. What htc stuck on there really is crap. No coatings and easily scratched.

domotang

Apr 2, 2008

BTW - The optics are still sealed on this camera. The real camera lens can be cleaned like any other camera lens (although very tiny)

Reactions: dondavis007

Shebee

Mar 9, 2008
a4agu3u4.jpg

Test pics?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
It's not something I would do as my lens cover seems fine. Neither do I think it has anything to do with the plastic used but more the coating on the plastic. Others have had great success removing this coating. Incidentally didn't I see posted somewhere a glass cover for the lens? Maybe you could replace it with that.
How did u manage to remove it?

Last edited:

iggdawg

May 8, 2011
Boston, MA
www.iggdawg.com
It's not something I would do as my lens cover seems fine. Neither do I think it has anything to do with the plastic used but more the coating on the plastic. Others have had great success removing this coating. Incidentally didn't I see posted somewhere a glass cover for the lens? Maybe you could replace it with that.

Exactly, the lens cover is almost certainly glass, it just has an anti-glare coating that scratches fairly easily. The way DIY-ers usually remove this coating from the glass underneath is a moist paper towel and a very tiny amount of toothpaste. a few minutes of rubbing and it'll come right off. Had to do this with my One X+.

domotang

Apr 2, 2008

At least you are one of the few who acknowledge the lens cover is plastic. It's not of the same grade that was on the M7. No anti-reflective coating causing a huge 1.7 stop loss in light.
Getting with B&W for a custom cut glass with proper coatings

domotang

Apr 2, 2008
Unfortunately my M8 is always soft on the right side of the frame. Crappy HTC QC.
Here's two photos. The first with lens cover removed. High contrast w blown highlights. Still blurry on right side however.
The second high contrast photo demonstrates light bleed caused by diffraction. Contrast is lacking in comparison to the first.
vugemeze.jpg

rary8edu.jpg

domotang

Apr 2, 2008
Sorry. Wasn't aware Tapatalk compressed and reduced posted photos. I will post a link to the originals as soon as possible.

iggdawg

May 8, 2011
Boston, MA
www.iggdawg.com
I'm an engineer. But think what you want. Or do you want to compare notes on photography?

I'm sorry, I'm no engineer. All I have is a lowly degree in physics. I've seen plenty of pictures of the lens cover cracked. it's glass. or a very strange plastic that cracks in a way plastic doesn't but glass does. You sound more interested in your opinion than any other information out there though.

I could tell you why you're getting the blurriness on the right side, but you don't sound interested in comparing notes on photography.

domotang

Apr 2, 2008
It's not glass. Need proof?
Exactly, the lens cover is almost certainly glass, it just has an anti-glare coating that scratches fairly easily. The way DIY-ers usually remove this coating from the glass underneath is a moist paper towel and a very tiny amount of toothpaste. a few minutes of rubbing and it'll come right off. Had to do this with my One X+.

domotang

Apr 2, 2008
Sure?

I mean sharing your experience in the first place instead of being all "I'm an engineer" would have been pretty great.

I thought your initial post accusing me of either trolling or crazy was tacky. I don't have time for either. So my post was aimed at anybody wanting to perhaps solve an issue (if they even think it's an issue).

I'll do this. I have two M8s. My gold one has a cracked cover. I'll remove it and then melt with standard lighter. But first I'm going to post side by side shots between an M8 with lens cover and without lens cover. I'll also offer to polish the lens cover.. Then try to scratch it again. Just wanting to help you guys out.

Reactions: dondavis007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How about we post respectfully like adults. Posting like children will get this thread locked.
    The following is a photo from my wife's M8 WITH the lens cover(freshly cleaned) ;
    7aty7era.jpg

And this is my M8 without the lens cover;
    vu2a6a4e.jpg

do you have the original ?

lol ok

Texas State Parks bought these from me. Both shot with the M8.
    ru4a7evu.jpg

namyna2u.jpg

Some of you seem to be interested of the potential of the M8 as a photographic tool (and not just a snap shooter). The following were taken with with the M7 or M8. Enjoy!
    a9uzy6y9.jpg

ta4u2uty.jpg

uqu8uvub.jpg

ybubaqeh.jpg

4yqunuqy.jpg

na7e2y9u.jpg

azehepur.jpg

A few examples of shots easily accomplished by the M7 and M8
    uty8a7ar.jpg

u4ezyty8.jpg

anava8ah.jpg