Official Windows-on-Tab discussion/speculation thread

Search This thread

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
This thread is not the focal point for all discussions relating to running Win7, Win8 or WinAnything on the Tab 10.1.

It has been formed by merging some of the largest and oldest Windows-on-Tab threads into one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Italulu

Alex DK

Apr 10, 2010
Windows 7 or Windows 8 on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1?

Hello

Is it possible to install Windows 7 or Windows 8 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1?

Thank you in advance.

jhughesy

Mar 16, 2010
Windows 7 doesn't work on the processor inside the tab. Windows 8 will but that version hasn't been released. Only the intel version has.

Would love Windows 8 on my tab.

Watch this space, I guess...

jesdaking

Dec 18, 2008
S galaxy 10.1 and win 8 possible?

I have heard that windows 8 is gonna support the intel chip in the samsung galaxy tablet 10.1. will it be possible to install this OS on this tablet someday..

Jesper.

jesdaking

Dec 18, 2008
Hmm sorry but i am not sure if its intel! .. but the main thing is will it be possible to install windows 8. it would be fantastic.. i think its a ARM-based chipset but heard that it shuld be similar to the Tegra 2..

Last edited:

jesdaking

Dec 18, 2008
Errr... nVidia is most certainly NOT Intel!

No back to the thread - why on earth would you want to put Windows, aka bloatware, on an Android Tab?

And i ask why not??

Why the hell do someone want to put android on a iphone! and some one did!
I think it would be cool.. but i dont think you are not a windows fan.. lol!

stoney73

Apr 28, 2010
nottingham
And i ask why not??

Why the hell do someone want to put android on a iphone! and some one did!
I think it would be cool.. but i dont think you are not a windows fan.. lol!

I wouldnt want windows 8 on my tablet...but I can see why some people might be interested.

nvidia is not intel though. they may licence some technologies from each other, but they aren't one and the same. If they were. then why would intel be bothering with the medfield chips?

steve664npc

Sep 12, 2010
Nvidia is Intel....

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

No back to the thread - why on earth would you want to put Windows, aka bloatware, on an Android Tab?

But you haven't answered the question? I asked why on earth would you want to put Windows 8 on an android tablet?

It seems silly to me that's all - but that's just my opinion

xTONEx

Jul 10, 2010
If dual boot was possible why would u not want to put win 8 or any other OS on it? I thought that was the point of being "open" why do so many touchpad users want android???

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont

But you haven't answered the question? I asked why on earth would you want to put Windows 8 on an android tablet?

Actually windows8 might surprise you. it is not bloatware as in previous windows

Nvidia uses arm architecture intel uses x86. Windows 8 is being designed to support lean hardware like ARM based SoC. It will supports 2 modes - traditional windows called desktop mode and touch based called metro. Its tile based metro UI is more elegant than android and shoul work with both x86 and arm devices. X86 will habe an edge as it will work woth traditional windows as well as Metro while arm can only work with metro assuming they fix all the headaches related to arm

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smithsonian

jesdaking

Dec 18, 2008

Why should i answer that question.. The only thing you are saying is that windows 8 is silly.. ????? And the Answer is that i dont think so.. lol. I just like to try everything to have a oppionon. Im not a FANBOY! that just try one thing only.

and you are calling it android tablet why? its a samsung galaxy tablet 10.1 and i like to call it windows tablet soon. hehe

Last edited:
Reactions: j0hnZ

joseamirandavelez

Jan 17, 2010
Isabela, PR
OnePlus 10 Pro
Why should i answer that question.. The only thing you are saying is that windows 8 is silly.. ????? And the Answer is that i dont think so.. lol. I just like to try everything to have a oppionon. Im not a FANBOY! that just try one thing only.

and you are calling it android tablet why? its a samsung galaxy tablet 10.1 and i like to call it windows tablet soon. hehe

Me too! This is a Samsung tab that runs Android. Not an Android tab made by Samsung! If dual boot is possible I want it!

Sent from my SGT10.1 using XDA Premium

wewewi999

Jul 26, 2010
Quebec City
Well sorry to blow out your dreams but Windows 8 ARM wont isnt coming 'til 2013 and it WONT be available as OEM or retail disc in any way.

It will be embedded into the slabs, just like Android.
But since it is NOT open source, you just will NOT be able to add it afterwords.

THERE WILL BE NO WINDOWS ON THE GTAB 10.1. EVER.

Dual-Booting a Windows 8 ARM tablet with Android might be possible, but not the opposite.
That being said; just wait to see the price of the Windows-based slabs; itll be a good 200$ over the comparable Android-based slab.

Last edited:

slack04

May 4, 2010
Well sorry to blow out your dreams but Windows 8 ARM wont isnt coming 'til 2013 and it WONT be available as OEM or retail disc in any way.

But since it is NOT open source, you just will NOT be able to add it afterwords.

Dual-Booting a Windows 8 ARM tablet with Android might be possible, but not the opposite.
That being said; just wait to see the price of the Windows-based slabs; itll be a good 200$ over the comparable Android-based slab.

Unfortunately, I agree with everything here, except the word "ever." I think there will be folks rocking the GT10 when Win8 gets leaked and built, but by then this will be a "legacy device." I'm really looking forward to having a windows 8 tablet, but it won't be the galaxy tab 10.1

animatechnica

Dec 12, 2010
Freakmont
yep microsoft UEFI Secure Boot technology might make it near impossible to dual boot win 8 and android ON devices built for windows8 - but i have faith in the dev community to port Win 8 onto android first devices- not that i would use it anyway

jesdaking

Dec 18, 2008
Crap totally foregot about microsoft UEFI Secure Boot technology!
but when the windows 8 tablet are out..
i just buy a windows tablet ;-). And sell my lovely SG tab 1.10. but ICS is gonna be great to!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I won't lie, the Samsung hardware has passed in terms of Hardware Acceleration and Mango and iOS are completely Hardware Accelerated OS's it could be possible as we meet the desired specs to run it. Also it would be nice to get a taste of which OS performs better.
    Let's hope someone gets it loaded

Sent from my GT-P7500 using xda premium

Let's not. ;)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium HD app
    This thread is not the focal point for all discussions relating to running Win7, Win8 or WinAnything on the Tab 10.1.

It has been formed by merging some of the largest and oldest Windows-on-Tab threads into one.
    Nvidia is Intel....

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App
    (sigh) do you really believe that Microsoft would release Windows 10 for the ARM type cpu? Even the devices running Windows 8 RT won't ever receive Windows 10! So in short, it will never happen, period.
    years later and microsoft released windows 10 ARM32/ARM64