[ROM RETIRED] TNT LITE - alternate 1.1-based GTAB firmware

Search This thread

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Roebeet,

Finally switched to tnt lite this morning.... but I don't see the calendar app (need it to sync with outlook on exchange at work). The email and contacts apps are there (just what I was looking for). Does anyone have the 2.2 calendar app files or can I just use any generic 2.2 apks?
Thanks!

EDIT: Contacts do not sync... it allows you to check this setting but it does not sync.
Edit: I imported a 2.2 calendar apk and calendar provider apk and it runs and it syncs! Now I am going to try and import a different contact ap and provider ap

Edit: New contact app working and syncing!

Thanks Roebeet for all your work here... and the others.. you rock!

I'll make a note of this for v2 - I must have missed this apk when I made the last build. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm going to spend some time on this today and build out 1.03 with all the fixes thus far. It's going to be a modular format so that way v2.00 will be failry easy to deploy, next week.

Last edited:

thedudevt

Nov 19, 2010
Request

Can I put in a request?

I'm working on getting cifsmanager working, and it looks like cifs is not rolled into the kernel. Cifs/symbol support would be great for streaming video over LAN.

Can you add the cifs.ko for this kernel (possibly from the tegra2 sdk) to system.libs.modules?

Once there, cifsmanager can load it as required.

Streaming video from my NAS to rockplayer seems like it would be a killer app for a tablet like this, particularly with a front-end like the XBMC remote.

Thanks,

TheDude

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Can I put in a request?

I'm working on getting cifsmanager working, and it looks like cifs is not rolled into the kernel. Cifs/symbol support would be great for streaming video over LAN.

Can you add the cifs.ko for this kernel (possibly from the tegra2 sdk) to system.libs.modules?

Once there, cifsmanager can load it as required.

Streaming video from my NAS to rockplayer seems like it would be a killer app for a tablet like this, particularly with a front-end like the XBMC remote.

Thanks,

TheDude

If you could find a cifs.ko that worked, I would definitely add it. I think it has to be compiled for each specific kernel and so far the few I've tested have not worked.

I would love to get this on the GTab as we could mount SMB files shares, off WiFi.

thedudevt

Nov 19, 2010
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8687172&postcount=164

This looks like a promising method. You can hack the KO file to match the kernel using a hex editor, I'm assuming you need a source file from a similar kernel, so I was thinking of starting with the SDK, and the zPad rom. Maybe do some digging on the zPad forums. I found the thread while I was away from my PC, so I haven't combed through the SDK and given it a try just yet.

You'll be the first to know if I get something to work.

TheDude

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8687172&postcount=164

This looks like a promising method. You can hack the KO file to match the kernel using a hex editor, I'm assuming you need a source file from a similar kernel, so I was thinking of starting with the SDK, and the zPad rom. Maybe do some digging on the zPad forums. I found the thread while I was away from my PC, so I haven't combed through the SDK and given it a try just yet.

You'll be the first to know if I get something to work.

TheDude

Thanks for link! I'll play around with this, as well...

btw, 1.03 is being released. Been playing around with it for a few hours, with no issues found.

Mediumpimpin

Nov 22, 2010
Thank you for helping to make my gtab not as useless as i thought. I just upgraded from 1.02-1.03 and one of the workarounds for a complete market nolongr works for me. I went into settings and clicked on apps then to market and the clear cashe button is nolonger highlighted, only the force stop. I was wondering if you had another workaround for a full market? Great work btw.

Last edited:

TheTruth

Aug 21, 2007
Nice work on the rom... cannot access the settings menu for tnt, but Toshiba settings work ok... was able to get into tnt settings but broke after switching between launchers. Rebooted and repeated, happened again. ... thought flash was baked in as well, but I guess it is not... looking forward to the new kernel from VS!

Btw the opengl update seems to have sped everything up in general... noticed a huge difference on Roth's latest clean zpad 11-06

I should point out I am talking about getting into tnt settings via hitting menu then settings... I can get in just fine via apps menu

Sent from my UPC300-2.2 using Tapatalk

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
Thank you for helping to make my gtab not as useless as i thought. I just upgraded from 1.02-1.03 and one of the workarounds for a complete market nolongr works for me. I went into settings and clicked on apps then to market and the clear cashe button is nolonger highlighted, only the force stop. I was wondering if you had another workaround for a full market? Great work btw.

Use Titanium Backup as a workaround. I listed this in the Market post in the apps section. I have never gotten the "standard" way to work in TnT Lite.

EDIT: the post I made on this -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=845175

Btw, for cwm users -- I just made a 1.03a that pulls out recovery. Due to the modular setup, doing a restore with the .img files will no longer work. In 2.00+, I'm no longer going to add recovery as a rule.

Last edited:

Spaztik

Jul 8, 2007
Nice work roebeet. I just picked up a gtablet today and have been flashing all the different builds (yours I've had the best luck with). 1.03 is definitely feeling much snappier. Oh, and I used the cwm build with no issues.

akodoreign

Jun 17, 2010
In your next build, I don't know if it is possible but can you include WPA2 enterprise support :). If not possible, I completely understand.

That would be the iceing on the cake (University I work for has a portal wifi and WPA, the portal based wifi is horrible :( )

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
In your next build, I don't know if it is possible but can you include WPA2 enterprise support :). If not possible, I completely understand.

That would be the iceing on the cake (University I work for has a portal wifi and WPA, the portal based wifi is horrible :( )

Unfortunately that's something that needs to be in stock. We'd need to play around with the kernel and WiFi modules to do this ourselves and that probably requires source code.

I'm actually not a developer - I'm a nuts and bolts sysadmin. I take things and rip them apart and try to get them to work a little better. I wish I had some coding skills! :)

akodoreign

Jun 17, 2010
Unfortunately that's something that needs to be in stock. We'd need to play around with the kernel and WiFi modules to do this ourselves and that probably requires source code.

I'm actually not a developer - I'm a nuts and bolts sysadmin. I take things and rip them apart and try to get them to work a little better. I wish I had some coding skills! :)

its ok, he he. none of the apps on market place seem to be able to help me either. wifi advanced lets me go in and edit the connection to plug in authentication etc but it will not connect.

Still though, I will deal and call up and bug viewsonic :) thanks :D

roebeet

Jul 15, 2010
Pennsylvania
so I switched over to this from CMB3 and now no wifi, any ideas?

I ported over the zPad WiFi drivers as my understanding was that the zPad drivers were generally better. I guess not in your case, sorry about that! WiFi issues are very hard to track, as it's probably a router issue. I have two routers and I have seen this myself - one would work fine, the other would not, depending on the mod / firmware.

v2.00 (this week) will have the VS drivers again - that's assuming they've improved them.

rothnic

Aug 18, 2010
I ported over the zPad WiFi drivers as my understanding was that the zPad drivers were generally better. I guess not in your case, sorry about that! WiFi issues are very hard to track, as it's probably a router issue. I have two routers and I have seen this myself - one would work fine, the other would not, depending on the mod / firmware.

v2.00 (this week) will have the VS drivers again - that's assuming they've improved them.

CM uses zPad wifi drivers. So most likely a different issue, or just general wifi errors like some people get.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky

jacindc

Jun 14, 2007
I've sideloaded a fair number of apps (including Gmail, Maps, and the not-working-right Market). Should I uninstall these before using TnTLite? Or will wiping the user data after install be good enough?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS MOD HAS BEEN RETIRED. This is a 1.1-based modded ROM. I am no longer developing 1.1-based solutions but I am leaving this post up for current users, or for anyone who still wishes to use it.

==================================

What this is

TNT Lite is an alternate 1.1 based ROM for the GTab, based on the stock ROM that Viewsonic supplies. This will flash system, bootloader and your kernel, so be aware of this. Clockworkmod is NOT recommended for use with TNT Lite flashing (as it does not update the bootloader as required by the vendor), but it is an option if you feel you must use it (ie. if you are stuck in a boot loop and need to wipe your user data). It is a "mostly stock" ROM.

TnT Lite makes the following changes to the stock firmware:

- Rooted and has SuperUser app preinstalled.
    - Google Marketplace has been added. It might be crippled by default, but it's fixable with this hack: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=845175. Also added erraskey's mahimahi modification.
    - Removes the TnT homescreen and replaces it with a stock Google launcher
    - Removes the over-the-air (OTA) updater
    - Removes most of the TnT stock apps and replaces them with standard Android replacements (the only exception being the web browser which cannot be changed yet, and the music application).
    - Development and Spare Parts apps have been added.
    - Busybox pre-installed. Thanks to bekit for his work on cm6.1!
    - Adds VEGA IFile Manager, replacing Estrongs.
    - Adds back the /system/xbin folder, which VS removed for some reason. Internal binaries like “sqlite3" now work.
    - Adds a full YouTube app.
    - Flash is pre-installed.
    - Adds extra UI animations (thanks to Rothnic for those enhancements!).
    - Includes a TnT Lite version number in the "About Tablet" area.
    - Adds an Adam keyboard and Sniffer app (thanks to gojimi for that!). Also adds a Gingerbread-based keyboard.
    - G-Sensor hack and Calibration hacks (see the archives for nods on that).

Recommended Pre-requisites

1. Setup and learn how to use nvflash. This is your backout in case something bad happens, so I would highly recommend you understand how to use this, in advance. Link details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=861950. nvflash is specific to Tegra 2 devices only.

2. Setup and learn how to use adb. This is a standard Android tool that will give you a remote shell into the device. This is helpful to push and pull files, and do general troubleshooting. For example, you can do a data wipe within adb if your device boot loops by typing "adb remount" and then "Adb shell wipe data" and then reboot. A VERY helpful tool for anyone modding their device.

Information on adb and how to install it / use it can found in several area in XDA, or on other Android sites. It's part of the Google Android SDK.

3. Have your device on a stock ROM baseline, or a previous version of TNT Lite 4.x or below. For example, build 3588 is the lastest 1.1-based stock ROM, as of this writing. Details on how to return to a stock ROM are here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9247367#post9247367. An earlier version of TNT Lite (4.x or earlier) is also an acceptable baseline. TNT Lite 5.x is a higher risk -- please see the TwoTapsX post for details on that.

Other 1.1-based ROMs should also work, but the lowest risk imo is 3588 stock or an older TNT Lite version. This is how I generally test my mods.

Installation for legacy 1.0.1 or 1.1 stock/mod users

a)Instructions for those with standard recovery:

- Extract the RAR to the root of your internal memory. So, for example, if your device is mounted on your Windows F drive, you need to extract the RAR so that you have an F:\update.zip file and an F:\recovery folder. Then, unmount the drive cleanly.
    - Power off the device, then begin the flash process by holding the power switch and volume up switch for several seconds. You should see a recovery screen and it will take 1-2 minutes to complete.
    - After the update is complete, the system will reboot.
    - Optional, but recommended. Do a data wipe / factory reset once the device is rebooted. Settings -- Security -- Factory Data Reset.

Note: these instructions are for the internal memory. If you have no access to that (ie stuck in a boot loop), you can add the files to a microSD card and that will work. However, you need to make one edit to the \recovery\command file, which is a text file. Edit it in notepad and change "SDCARD" to "SDCARD2" and resave it. But, make sure that Windows doesn't add a .TXT extension - it HAS to be called "command".

b)Instructions for those with clockworkmod .8:

- Extract the RAR and place the update.zip file anywhere in /sdcard (do NOT just copy the original RAR, that won't work! You have to open up the RAR and copy the update.zip inside. You don't need the /recovery folder for cwm). I would recommend putting the file on the root of /sdcard, since it will be easier to upgrade that way.
    - Reboot into recovery. Do a backup first, as that's always a good idea. :)
    - Then, choose "apply sdcard:update.zip", assuming you added the update.zip to the root of /sdcard, and run it.
    - Reboot.
    - Optional, but recommended. Do a data wipe / factory reset once the device is rebooted. For cwm users, you would do that within the cwm tool itself.

Note #1: The first reboot might sit for a long time (as of 4.4.0, it's a Honeycomb animation) - just wait and it should finish within 3 minutes or so. If if does not or you see the device looping, you might need a user data wipe.

Note #2: "Status 7" errors. I had this happen to me once, and an SD re-partition corrected it. I believe it's some kind of partition corruption that eventually manifests itself.

Backout

- Setup and install the 3588 stock ROM. Stock ROM is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=842000

-------------------------

Downloads

Firmware based off TnT build 1.1-3588 bootloader and 3991 system:

Main Release - TNT Lite 4.4.0 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?m0tqip489zteizd
    Alternate Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C1EHGC9X
    md5sum: bbb6969ea299a6fc2ce0f6a0bc6aae78
    (updated 3/30/2011)

There is no supplement, at this time.
    The supplement is layered over the base build - these are just file copies, like a "hotfix". Run the main release first, reboot, then setup and install the supplement.

Changelog:

- (4.4.0) Added clemsyn's v7 kernel, to fix the sleep issue. Also "unfixed" the Camera to correct the mirroring issue.
    - (4.3.2) Fixed issue with Flash 10.1 reversion by adding the 10.2 apk into the installation script.
    - (4.3.1) Fixed the home and search buttons breaking after wiping the user data
    - (4.3.0) Based off 3991 system.img (legacy kernel and bootloader, however), camera fixed, new Market, recovery command line toggle added, 3588 bootloader added
    - (4.2.5) New Market (stars?), new Gmail. Also patched for this vulnerability -- http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=977154
    - (4.2.4) build.prop changes to fix recent Market issues (this came from several posts in XDA)
    - (4.2.3) Driver update that improves Nenamark scores (40 fps or higher)
    - (4.2.2) Added Google Maps 5.1 and the Maps flip fix (thanks jwischka, atakapa and Butch1326!)
    - (4.2.1) Add Adam keyboard, Sniffer app (thanks gojimi!). Adds updated Nvidia drivers that correct tearing in the Settings app (thanks proengin!)
    - (4.2.0) TnT 3588 base. Added Gingerbread keyboard option, Framerate / refresh increase to 60 (thanks to Dexter_nlb and gojimi!), added mahimahi build.prop update for additional Market apps, 2.2.11 Market also added.
    ------------------------

New for TNT Lite 4.3.0+ : GTAB 3588 Recovery Pack

This is a set of scripts to change between standard recovery and clockworkmod recovery, without having to reboot. All you need is adb or a Terminal Emulator package.

I don't use clockworkmod for flashing ROM's anymore, due to its inability to flash the bootloader (something that may be required, in the future). But I still use it for nandroid backups and data wipes, so this is how I can easily switch between the two.

a) To flash recovery to 3588 stock recovery, using your GTablet

- Download the app "Android Terminal Emulator", by Jack Palevich.
    - Run the app, toggle the soft keyboard and change the font settings, if desired (default is very small)
    - Type "su" (Superuser should allow su access.
    - Type "fixrecovery.sh". This should run the flash_image tool and complete in 5-10 seconds

Reboot into recovery to test. 3588 stock has no options, so assuming you have no update.zip in the root of your /sdcard, it should just error out with an "!" error (that's what we want to see).

b) To flash recovery to legacy clockworkmod .8 bekit version recovery, using your GTablet

- Follow steps 1 to 3, above
    - Type "cwmrecovery.sh". This should run the flash_image tool and complete in 5-10 seconds.

Reboot into recovery to test. You should see the clockworkmod .8 bekit screen, which means the flash was successful.

c) To flash either recovery with adb

Just use an "adb shell" and then run the shell script needed.

Issues / Caveats

More than a few users have reported a reboot looping issue either during, or shortly after, upgrading to this firmware. I would go on the assumption that this could happen to you, so I would be prepared for that and try some of the possible fixes that users have reported, below.

Pre-req: Have a microSD card ready of use. This will be the only way to re-flash or install clockworkmod, if you get stuck in a reboot loop. If you don't have a microSD card, then you're only fix would be to use nvflash to fully erase the system (see the steps in the nvflash link in this post). With that in mind, I would try these steps, in this order (you'd try the next step if the first step did not fix the issue)....

- Try to reflash first, using the microSD.
    - Try to reflash to TnT stock - again using the microSD.
    - Install clockworkmod recovery (see below) using the microSD, which will give you extra capabilities. Then, run clockworkmod recovery and wipe your user data.
    - Re-run clockworkmod recovery and re-partition your SD card. Suggested setup (as of Jan 2011) is 2048 and swap of 0. (this last step will wipe the /sdcard data, so keep that in mind).

Second, check out this excellent post from dcom222 if you are still stuck and need some guidance: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9439414&postcount=7

You can also check out this link for some tips (thanks to smakcc for the link!): http://droidpirate.com/category/ablets/viewsonic-gtablet/

Lastly, check out this thread for acore FCs: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=9454175#post9454175 (thanks, digger44!)

- Sleep mode (clicking on the power button) doesn't seem to work. There is no known fix, other than adding a customized kernel. Another suggestion is to leave the device to "never sleep", at least for now. EDIT: Should be fixed with 4.4.0.

- When clicking on the "Notifications" button in Settings (the one that's greyed out) the device semi-locks. To unlock, just click on the "!" button i the uppper right side on the device, on the status bar.

------------------------

Other Items of Note

- Clockworkmod bekit v.8 only update.zip (for technical users only -- ONLY use with TnT Lite 1.x to 4.x, or other 1.1-based legacy mods) : http://www.mediafire.com/?dvleg4oatkfxm7w
    This is a replacement for standard recovery. It adds the ability to backup and restore system images, for example.

- Pershoot's customized kernel for TnT / VEGAn builds: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=903505

- Clemsyn's customized kernel for TnT / VEGAn builds: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=895825

- GTAB 3588 Recovery Pack, and other recovery images: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1005080

- TNT Lite archives area, including TNT Lite 5.x information: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9302497&postcount=5

-------------------------------------------

TNT Lite 4 screenshot:

teMvF.png

Version Archives:

TnT Lite version 4.3.0 Link:[/B] http://www.mediafire.com/?n7lfebvrlsuzcr7
    md5sum: 4f186f0814959fd35b6af59d8382e6ee
    (updated 3/23/2011)
    TnT Lite version 4.2.0 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?n66bk29kokyo9s6
    md5sum: ff9c051c606697d0f57d454e9c1ca5a5
    Updated on 01/24/2011

TNT Lite supplement version 4.3.2 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?krb5n36ck7lac3o
    md5sum: 6c05947ea198ce189f3a4e94c334a263
    (updated 3/26/2011)
    TNT Lite supplement version 4.3.1 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?hcn5hoo1h75n30k
    md5sum: d69af663f7514bae20ff6bbbd1a97e90
    (updated 3/24/2011)
    TnT Lite supplement version 4.2.5 Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?24s05ytwih555h5
    md5sum: e17582873aaf47a9c9270b794530e073
    Updated on 03/02/2011
    The supplement is layered over the base build - these are just file copies, like a "hotfix".
    Nook is just a e-book reader. But they got Honeycomb first...

Well, since you've posted this to the TNTL thread, I will respond.

The Nook has a preview HC SDK by a very smart guy who really did work wonders, and I give him credit for that. I know gojimi was trying to take it apart yesterday, as did I. I even tried for several hours to use different combinations to get it to boot on my GTAB, with no success.

Imo, we're better off waiting for something more substantial, like a Xoom dump. That should give us the libraries needed to at least boot up HC on the GTAB.

I'm sorry to see that you feel this strongly about not having a preview of Honeycomb on your GTAB, that you felt a thumbs down was needed.
    I was never able to find it in the market but found it available for download by googling tv.com.apk. I have it but don't know the legality of sharing it.

R
    You have to do the full market fix (not the quick fix) to get tv.com and several other apps. I cut and pasted this from elsewhere and take no credit for anything other than my ability to cut, paste and follow instructions!

2) Browse in Root Explorer to /system. Then click on Mount R/W.

3) Long click on build.prop and click on Open In Text Editor.

4) Scroll down to the line ro.build.fingerprint=....
    You are going to replace that with the following text:

ro.build.fingerprint=google/passion/passion/mahimahi:2.2/FRF91/43546:user/release-keys

5) Now you are going to click on Save and Exit. And then remount the /system directory as R/O.

6) Now you are going to re-do the original Market Fix. I used the simple version illustrated here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l-ny...eature=related First, make sure Market is running, and browse around in it for a few seconds. If you don't do this, there may be no cache to clear and for some reason the market fix may not work. Then, go to Settings->Applications->Manage Applications->Running and scroll down to Market. Then hit Clear Cache, followed by Force Stop **DO NOT CLEAR DATA FOR MARKET, JUST CACHE**. Then go back, scroll down to Google Services Framework, hit Clear Data, then Force Stop.

7) Now try starting Market again and you get the famous Market Error. Now shut down the G Tablet, then turned it back on. Wait for Wifi to connect to your network before doing anything! I forgot to do that on the first try, so I rebooted again, waited for wifi to connect this time.

8) Now restart Market again. It seems to have sourced the fingerprint from build.prop somewhere in steps 6-7. Searches for previously missing apps now show up. Voila! A truly full market!
    Nook is just a e-book reader. But they got Honeycomb first...

I really don't like your post title.. And you top it off with a thumbs down??
    When did they become your developing guys? If you really want it why don't you build it?
    Geez.. I am really happy with what I have been given by the people that choose to use there OWN time to put together things that the rest of us benefit from.
    Complaining about developers like they are just sitting around goofing off and not working hard enough for you is just ridiculous...

Be happy for what you have. These folks have lives too....
    G-Tab Dock update (and other accessories)

I hadn't seen anything on people talking about the dock recently, so I thought I'd post my observations. I am running TNTL4.2.3 with CWM.8.

I bought my Malata DS-A002 dock from merrimobiles for $45 incl shipping.

Took about 3 weeks. They were not real responsive, and I was worried after 10 days of hearing nothing, not even a shipping notification, but it arrived in good shape, in what looked like original Chinese packing with a airmail box around it.

It takes the same power cord as what you get with the G-TAB - it does not come with another power cord. However, it's regular 12VDC and you can find the barrel connector (probably the "yellow" one) at radio shack and build yourself a nice wall and car secondary charger.

The one USB port works good for keyboard. I checked, and it does support a hub, and I keep a USB keyboard plugged in all the time - my G-tab has no problem ever recognizing it or using it. Nice that the keyboard home (home), esc (back), F1 (menu), F4 (call log?), arrow keys all work in lieu of tablet hard or soft buttons, and often typing letter/number characters automatically invokes search. There seems to be more than the standard 500mA coming out, so it will probably power a rotational portable drive, besides just USB sticks. However, the USB drives don't automount like putting a stick into the g-tab edge USB port - you might have to issue some device commands.

Ethernet works fine. If you don't already have it plugged in, you might have to ifconfig eth0 up. You might have to ifconfig 192.168.x.x netmask 255.255.255.0 if it doesn't pick up your dhcp. You might have to manually add your gateway with route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev eth0. I've heard that some people see dorked up DNS but my Verizon FIOS router as gateway provides "pass-through" DNS so I didn't have to add a second one. I have not seen any conflicts with wireless being on or off, I seem to be able to run both, or either, independent of order, and I didn't edit dhcpconf.whatever other than to add a few comments for later just in case, and to test the mount r/w in that folder with Root Explorer. I use "Terminal Emulator" (don't forget to su) for the console commands when necessary.

Only thing I have not yet tried is HMDI - only cable I have is a mini-HDMI for my Droid X, which works great to watch ESPN3 football games on the Vizio plasma when the local cable provider isn't airing the game you want to see. Am getting a cable off Amazon, but I'm curious if you have to use RealHDMI or other assist software like on the Droid X, or if it's automatic and if it replicates ones screen to the HDMI out when docked. On the X, due to chip limitations, your phone screen goes blank when you enable the HDMI out - makes it hard to "guess" at the touchscreen to navigate.

---------------------------------------
    edit: added 2/20/2011
    I got an HDMI cable and tested it on a Vizio 50" plasma. It works fine, generally outputs in 1080i but you're still driving from the native 1024x600 pixel display, so don't expect typical 1080i when watching Youtube or other videos. Sound did come through, and in fact, plugging in HDMI to the dock did not silence the G-tablet speakers, interestingly. Also, on the G-Tab dock, I was *not* able to drive a DVI digital 15-inch monitor from the dock with my HDMI cable and an HDMI to DVI adapter, nor was I able to get any kind of analog video out (VGA on the DVI analog pins), like I *am* able to do with my Droid X HDMI output.

The dock *MUST* be powered by the AC/DC cable for *ANY* of the outputs (ethernet, USB, HDMI) to work. The tablet will not power the dock, and these do not appear to be pass-throughs on the connector - these appear to be separate devices or at least active drivers. I don't know how a passive cable would ever work, for those of you who are looking to just make/buy a cable equivalent of the dock. Disconnecting power from the dock causes the ethernet adapter to lose its configuration (IP/netmask). My USB keyboard quit working if plugged into the dock and power is removed from the dock. HDMI also cut out when power removed.

-------------------

The dock holds the tablet at a nice viewing angle, although you'd think at first it's a little "too" upright. Great turning it into a more-than-netbook touchscreen PC.

Other accessories you might be interested in:
    - I did get that carbon fiber sticker for the back of the g-tab, partly to cover up the stupidly large Viewsonic logo and partly because it was starting to get scratched up - I use it in the Honda Element with velcro on a stick mount just aft of the gearshift as a 10" GPS navigator. Thread is on here, just search, seller is Formula One.
    - CoPilot is the absolute best no-network navigation software I have found, get it when it's on sale. MapDroyd/NavDroyd with free maps is a close second. EarthNC is great for nautical and topo navigation - I could never get Navionics (bought the East Coast) to work on the g-tab - not even a FC, just closes invisibly after downloading maps.
    - I use GPS Status and BlueGPS to get positioning from a little Bluetooth external GPS receiver I keep on my dash - they're about $30 on eBay, and they power off when not in use, recharged via USB once a week. There's another BlueGPS-like app you can run on your Android phone that sends the phone's GPS position over bluetooth to your tablet. It's like Bluetooth GPS tethering, and you can even tether Wifi internet from the phone (I use Barnacle) at the same time - just keep your phone plugged into your car charger, because it will get sucked dry otherwise.
    - I also got a neoprene case - it's not quite large enough to fully hold the G-tab which is longer than the iPad, but it's good enough. Best part is the way it folds and latches into a Origamo stand, the brand name is Incase, and it's sold at Best Buy in the iPad section. Great for the coffee shop or bar:
    go to the incase web site and search for "origami"
    Get one now, or maybe hope they make one for the G-tab size. Only mod I had to do is widen the lower shelf with a bit of plastic and black Gorilla (duck) tape, since the G-tab's lower edge is rounded and doesn't quite "catch"
    - A bluetooth or USB keyboard is great. I bought the $10 generic (says "Gear Head") from Office Depot. I have this one coming:
    search amazon for "Portable Bluetooth Wireless Universal Keyboard (Silver) for Viewsonic G-Tablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2"
    and also check out the stand:
    Amazon "Arkon Portable Fold-Up Stand for Apple iPad, Galaxy Tab, BlackBerry Play Book"
    Enough for now...

Many thanks again to Roebeet for the excellent work on TNTL, making my G-tab more than just a couch pad. I've been with this and his work since November, and very happy to have gotten this far. I do feel bad that these things are sitting gathering dust at my Office Depot because most folks are too scared to buy them. I just wish I could talk them down some off the $379 list.

Skip Gadgetman K3FOR