Default Fast Dormancy Setting ATT GS2

Search This thread

mrdead72

Oct 4, 2011
i enabled mine and my H+ speeds increased to 6megs ive never hit that im on a att sg2 with straight talk using shostock gb

Shammyh

Aug 18, 2007
Boston, MA
i enabled mine and my H+ speeds increased to 6megs ive never hit that im on a att sg2 with straight talk using shostock gb

I too have noticed that changing the setting and rebooting appears to have an effect on data speeds. But it always seemed kinda unpredictable to me. Sometimes I'd notice an average 1-2 mbit boost, but other times it would crawl at basically bog-standard UMTS speeds.

Also, at least where I live you, have to run speedtests at like 3-4 am to get even mildly consistent results.

erad1

Dec 3, 2010
MiamiBeach
OnePlus 6
Since this was really never answered, I too am wondering if fast dormancy should be enabled or disabled. When asking in regards to shishir's rom if fast dormancy was enabled he said, "Yes it is! And it's supported as long as you're on AT&T." However, LiLRom's 1.3.1 changelog states "Fixed Fast Dormancy build.prop since AT&T doesn't use this."

Now I've googled and haven't found any concrete answers as to whether AT&T even supports FD...
Did a little research and located this interesting bit of info from an AT&T document pertaining to "network ready" emerging device guidelines...(things AT&T requires for any device specifically built to run on their network)

Fast Dormancy is a concept that applies to 3G technology that AT&T employs
which, if incorrectly designed, could generate increased signaling traffic on the
network and add latency to the user.
Fast Dormancy allows a device to quickly move from active state to an idle state.
While there may be battery saving benefits, a well designed fast dormancy
algorithm should consider applications that are active, display status and user
action before initiating fast dormancy.
Fast Dormancy should only be used for PDP Context serving non-real-time
background applications for which activity is not real time user interactive,
closely spaced. Such applications include e-mail, visual voicemail, etc
. Additional
information is provided in the AT&T requirements document, 13340.

...what I gather from this is that; yes, it seems they do support FD.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It's better to resurrect an old thread that already discusses this topic than it is to create a whole new one. XDA rule #1: "search before posting". If a thread already exists that deals with what you want, DO NOT create a new one.

And to the recent poster:

I'm not sure anyone has done "scientific" testing to see whether or not "fast dormancy" helps. Based on the available generic GSM literature on the matter, it would seem like a good idea. Faster data call spin-ups, and less battery use. However, AT&T notoriously doesn't follow the GSM spec fully, and often times picks and chooses what to deploy on their network.

I suppose the best way to test is to run a whole bunch of speed tests with and without FD turned on. And to live a week with it on, then a week with it off, and compare average battery life. And if you can get another 15-20 people to do the same, then we do some statistical analysis on the results, you might actually find out whether to enable it or not.

Short of that, the rest is heresay and wildly subjective opinions. Any given individual's usage patterns may vary so wildly, that without looking on aggregate (and with correct analysis), it's almost impossible to tell whether or not specific "insert-preference-here" actually has a positive effect or not. It is worth mentioning that fast dormancy does appear to be disabled by default on AT&T based ROMs for the GS2. Of course, such a setting might have been over-looked, or possibly even disabled despite potentially helping performance/battery on our phones. Who knows. Unless you have a friend who works as a network engineer at AT&T, we might ultimately never get an answer on this... :-/
    Yup, seems disabled by default. I believe AT&T's network doesn't support FD.
    My option is to enable. So I am assuming that it's disabled.

I have the international version which defaults to "enabled." I was curious what the AT&T network engineers set their version at as I am on AT&T's.

This works on the international version and hopefully it does on AT&Ts
    1: Dial *#9900#

You will have the option on the screen to enable/disable the setting.

There is much debate on the international forum on the impact of this setting to data speeds/battery life on different carriers.

Thanks in advance!
    My option is to enable. So I am assuming that it's disabled.

the same here
    from what I understand that the Apple's IOS 4.2 has built in FD that prolong the life of the battery on AT&T's network.

Engaget Article on IOS 4.2 and FD

To avoid this, AT&T researchers (again in collaboration with the University of Michigan colleagues) are proposing Tail Optimization Protocol (TOP), which implements fast dormancy using a simple interface that coordinates among currently running apps before demoting the device.

http://www.research.att.com/article...1_03/201102_Energy_efficient?fbid=gN0JMJ3DvMk

But as to WHICH type of fast dormancy the phone support is beyond my knowledge