UMI Touch (Real Reviews/User Tests, Discussion) 5.5" FHD, Frontfingerprint Scanner

Search This thread

s7yler

Oct 22, 2009
www.youtube.com
UMI Touch (Real Reviews/User Tests, Discussion) 5.5" FHD, Frontfingerprint Scanner

Hi guys, here's a thread for real user videos/tests/unboxings and discussion.
I suggest we keep alll kind of official UMI commerical, deals out of this thread. So no UMI created pictures or videos. Only real material from users!
Because there is a big difference from what is real and what is pure commercial. Not always these two things stick together....

Real Unboxing & First look at the UMI Touch

Quick Review / Extra tests

10 Pros & Cons about the UMI Touch, is it worth it?

More real UMI reviews/tests/unboxings/handson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpiO0HjeOjI (Chinamobilemag)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdlcqfNfz4s (Redskull)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVA-NXcIXc0 (mayiandjay)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OT86neHCqM (TechMagnet)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhx34Mk1fI (Italian Language / Massimo G / megthebest)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32ZLIYQfAfY (Geek Love)

Camera samples:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bukdfcua10eok/UMI_Touch_Camera_Samples

TWRP 3.0.2 by jemmini
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66369781&postcount=68

Stagefright vulnerability:
No, tested at 17/4 2016 with v3.03-20160409

AnTuTu 6.0.1 score:

Androbench Storage benchmark:
SEQ Read: 211 MB/s (that is fast)

Multitouch points:
5 points supported

Youtube app:
Can play videos in 1080p FHD

Sensors:
Gyroscope sensor: No reaction in sensorbox
Orientation sensor: No reaction in sensorbox
Accelerometer sensor: Yes, will work in games when you tilt the device

OTA Update released:
v3.03-20160409 (fixes the camera a bit, optimizes the fingerprint scanner, changes 21MP to 13MP in the settings).

Similar design?
Many say that the UMI Touch look like the Meizu M3 note or Meizu MX5. What do you think?

Other ROMS?
UMI have posted some pictures of the UMI Touch running Windows phone 10, but so far only pictures.
So until we see a real rom this is still unconfirmed.

How is the gaming performance?:
I would say in the middle, average. Not super but also not totally bad.

Video recording test by Massimo G (this with the old/first firmware!)

Official specifications:
- 5.5" 2.5D LCD screen, FHD 1920*1080 pixels
- MiraVision support
- MTK6753 1.3 GHz octa core
- Metall Unibody / CNC metal
- Touch buttons with backlight
- Smart wake & gestures
- Front fingerprint scanner
- Front LED flash
- Supports Touch ID (wake & unlock with 1 touch)
- 3GB of RAM + 16GB Rom
- 13MP Sony IMX main camera + 5MP front camera
- 4000mAh battery
- Android 6.0 system / OS
- Multilanguage & comes with Play Store
- Network: GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA 900/2100 MHz, FDD-LTE B3/B7/B20
- Supports 2G & 3G & 4G LTE network

DSC02940.JPG

Last edited:

PetaX8

Feb 18, 2016
Hi, did you get the device??? did you manage to root and flash new rom on this phone?

car.cuevas

Oct 6, 2015
UPDATED:

Hi everybody,

Well It's been already a week with this device, so I think I have already some experience with it, so I can give some feedback:

Despite that the HW in this phone seems to be quite acceptable, there are some problems with the SW, which makes the user experience not as good as it should be. But I have to say that the telephone is perfectly usable for everyday use (at least for my use), the most common problems, are the one which are written here after:

1- The battery is named as 4000mAh, but I have to say that the battery is bad managed and it's not showing the expected life for this capacity. Yesterday the issue a new FOTA update V3.03-20160423, in which they promise to fix this. At the moment it shows some improvement, but I cannot say since I did not have time to really test it.

UPDATED: Well after some testing, it seems that it behaves even worse than before, unfortunately, check post 14:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66721589&postcount=14

2- The screen; well this is one of the bigger problems, they are appearing (to majority of users) some white stains in the screen; in the official web page they mentioned that it was caused by some defects in the screen manufacturing process and UMI said that screens were glued incorrectly but they also stated that they corrected this problem in the following batches of the UMI Touch and offered to be helping in the process for getting a replacement. But in my opinion, there are not completely transparent here, in the official forum they were constantly deleting the posts where this problem was mentioned; and for me it is very interesting that everybody who has this problem, they have the white spots in exactly the same place on the screen (burnt screen because of bad IC dissipation ? )

Anyway here under you have an example of the white dots:

10x53ja.png

3- The touch sensitivity is not good, sometimes for writing texts and so can be a bit annoying, but definitely they have to tune this too.

4- Attention there is NO Notification LED anyway there is some discussion about using the soft buttons as notification leds, let's see if UMI hears the users....

5- The WIFI, at the moment for me the wifi is quite unstable, the signal strength is quite poor if we compare with other devices, as for example Redmi2; I guess this is something they should continue improving by software.

21khx.jpg

2hp7u4y.jpg

6- The accessories included (the adapter and cable) are the worst quality ever, the cable it broke after the second time I plugged (literally ) , and the adapter I was afraid to use since it was reported for many Forum users that it started to smoke and stink until they stop working. At least one person in the Forum complained that after the incident something happen with his/her mobile. So better don't use the included adapter & cable!, better safe than sorry.

7- The camera should be good quality, but it showed some lag when capturing pictures, for example if capturing with HDR and there is some subject which was moving there will be "ghosts" in the picture. It suppose to be fixed from the yesterday's FOTA, but I did not try it yet.

8- There were some people also mentioning that the GPS was not accurate and so, from my experience from the last weekend, I have to say that it wasn't that bad, actually Google Maps was the only one not so accurate, I was using HERE and WAZE and no problem.

Conclusion: It seems to be good hardware phone, but they are a few problemsuntil they polish a bit more the software I would not recommend it to buy, it seems that they are in a good way for fixing the problems (they release quite often the FOTAs) but still I would give more time to see how UMI behaves..

I hope it is useful at least for anybody :) :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Gerrit507

Jul 24, 2015
Germany
Hi everybody,

Well It's already a week with this device, so I think I have already some experience with it, so I can give some feedback:

Despite that the HW in this phone seems to be quite acceptable, there are some problems with the SW, which makes the user experience not as good as it should be. But I have to say that the telephone is perfectly usable for everyday use (at least for my use), but there are a few problems which I am going to mention here:

1- The battery is named as 4000mAh, but I have to say that the battery is bad managed and it's not showing the expected life for this capacity. Yesterday the issue a new FOTA update V3.03-20160423, in which they promise to fix this. At the moment it shows some improvement, but I cannot say since I did not have time to really test it.

2- The screen; well this is one of the bigger problems, they are appearing (to majority of users) some white stains in the screen; in the official web page they are mentioned that it was caused by some defective in the manufacturing process of the screens and UMI stated that screens were glued incorrectly and also they stated that they corrected this problem in the following batches of the UMI Touch and offered to be helping in the process for getting a replacement. But in my opinion, there are not completely transparent here, in the official forum they were constantly deleting the posts where this problem was mentioned; and for me it is interesting than everybody who has this problem, it is in exactly the same place on the screen (burnt screen because of bad IC dissipation ? )

10x53ja.png

3- The touch sensitivity is not good, sometimes for writing texts and so can be a bit annoying, but definitely they have to tune this too.

4- Attention there is NO Notification LED anyway there is some discussion about using the soft buttons as notification leds, let's see if UMI hears the users....

5- The WIFI, at the moment for me the wifi is quite unstable, the signal strength is quite poor if we compare with other devices, as for example Redmi2; I guess this is something they should continue improving by software.

21khx.jpg

2hp7u4y.jpg

6- The accessories included (the adapter and cable) are the worst quality ever, the cable it broke after the second time I plugged (literally ) , and the adapter I was afraid to use since it was reported for many Forum users that it started to smoke and stink until they stop working. At least one person in the Forum complained that after the incident something happen with his/her mobile. So better don't use the included adapter & cable!, better safe than sorry.

7- The camera should be good quality, but it showed some lag when capturing pictures, for example if capturing with HDR and there is some subject which was moving there will be "ghosts" in the picture. It suppose to be fixed from the yesterday's FOTA, but I did not try it yet.

8- There were some people also mentioning that the GPS was not accurate and so, from my experience from the last weekend, I have to say that it wasn't that bad, actually Google Maps was the only one not so accurate, I was using HERE and WAZE and no problem.

Conclusion: It seems to be good hardware phone, but they are a few problemsuntil they polish a bit more the software I would not recommend it to buy, it seems that they are in a good way for fixing the problems (they release quite often the FOTAs) but still I would give more time to see how UMI behaves..

Cheers
1- With the new OTA update. I get about 2days of battery lifetime on regular usage. 4000 mah seems realistic to me.
2- I don't have any clouding, at least until now.
3- Agree.
4- Would be really nice. On the Elephone P8000, the menu led is also used as notification led. UMI make it happen...
7- I did not test HDR yet but I think the camera is quite ok. Not as good as in the Letv X600, even if it's the same sensor but better than the Elephone P8000, which sometimes was horrible to make photos with.

s7yler

Oct 22, 2009
www.youtube.com
I have also checked mine for clouding but have none. Even if I set lowest or highest brightness, there are no white spots like the one I have seen from other users. Seems to be a bad batch out. But mine is a pretty early version, or I'm just lucky.

Gerrit507

Jul 24, 2015
Germany
God help me, no.
S7yler tested it in his video and it gave him around 3600mAh, the 300mAh tolerance theory is BS imo.

Well, every battery is different... It doesn't mean yours is also 3600mah. And no the theory is not BS, it's just true or do you think theres a machine which is spitting out perfect batteries with exactly 4000 mah ?

Last edited:

car.cuevas

Oct 6, 2015
Well, every battery is different... It doesn't mean yours is also 3600mah. And no the theory is not BS, it's just true or do you think theres a machine which is spitting out perfect batteries with exactly 4000 mah ?

Well actually I did not test now the real capacity of the battery, but what I can say that the battery drain when the telephone is idle still there and even worse than before :S

xfymb8.png

luciousl

Apr 18, 2016
Is this a serious question? Of course yes, or do you think batteries are made of pasta? The machine takes same components and puts them together.
Said that, different values are possible, but not as much as you say, 100mAh tolerance would be acceptable but not more than that.
300mAh tolerance would be fine in a 10000mAh battery or more, but we're talking about 4000mAh and 300mAh is almost the 10%.
Even agreeing with the 300mAh tolerance, this battery is 400mAh less than declared!

rene.kuhs

Aug 25, 2014
Anyone tried Xposed on this phone? The framework installs fine and even shows as active in the Installer but modules simply don't work, even when activated properly.

For example, GravityBox [MM] simply waits a few seconds for a response from the framework and then closes because no response was received. No other modules that I've tried work either.

Had read on the UMI forum that other people have had the same problem also.

Anyone manage to get it working? Even if we could just get GravityBox to work, I'd be over the moon with the phone.

Last edited:

Jason Richardson

Apr 26, 2016
UPDATED:

Hi everybody,

Well It's been already a week with this device, so I think I have already some experience with it, so I can give some feedback:

Despite that the HW in this phone seems to be quite acceptable, there are some problems with the SW, which makes the user experience not as good as it should be. But I have to say that the telephone is perfectly usable for everyday use (at least for my use), the most common problems, are the one which are written here after:

UPDATED: Well after some testing, it seems that it behaves even worse than before, unfortunately, check post 14:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=66721589&postcount=14

2- The screen; well this is one of the bigger problems, they are appearing (to majority of users) some white stains in the screen; in the official web page they mentioned that it was caused by some defects in the screen manufacturing process and UMI said that screens were glued incorrectly but they also stated that they corrected this problem in the following batches of the UMI Touch and offered to be helping in the process for getting a replacement. But in my opinion, there are not completely transparent here, in the official forum they were constantly deleting the posts where this problem was mentioned; and for me it is very interesting that everybody who has this problem, they have the white spots in exactly the same place on the screen (burnt screen because of bad IC dissipation ? )

10x53ja.png

21khx.jpg

2hp7u4y.jpg

Cheers

Yes, there are some problems need to be improved by software, UMi still spending much time developing the ROMs for its new devices. They have release four FOTA, since they released the UMI Touch.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Is this a serious question? Of course yes, or do you think batteries are made of pasta? The machine takes same components and puts them together.
Said that, different values are possible, but not as much as you say, 100mAh tolerance would be acceptable but not more than that.
300mAh tolerance would be fine in a 10000mAh battery or more, but we're talking about 4000mAh and 300mAh is almost the 10%.
Even agreeing with the 300mAh tolerance, this battery is 400mAh less than declared!
I can use my phone at least two days, I think that's enough for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If the test says 3600mAh it can't get to 4000mAh even with software updates.

Have you tested it yourself? 3600mah seems pretty low. Keep in mind that smartphone batteries always have a tolerance of about 300 mah.
    With the new FOTA the UMI touch is great. I have it running for 40h now and have 50% left. The touch screen is much more responsive and also the fingerprint sensor is much better. The only thing left for now is the notfication led.
    Screenshot_20160519_181505.png
    Very tempted to buy this phone, but I am a little bit worried after the reviews I have seen.
    Can anyone who has this phone please confirm:

1) Is there really a screen lag on the phone?
    2) Is the fingerprint reading really bad?
    3) Does it really take very slow to charge? Has anyone tried a Quick Charge 2.0 output or MTK Pumpexpress?
    4) Is the battery not as expected for a 4,000 mAh battery (maybe faked capacity)?

Thank you very much

Hi,

Your questions:

1- no screen lag at least I didn't have
    2- for me it was working about 60-70% of times
    3- really sloooooooow
    4- Don't know if fake battery but I can say that in one day was dead.

Extras:

5- heavy as a hell
    6- wifi signal weak
    7- GPS completely unusable
    8- Nearly for sure you will have white spots on the screen

About thinking in buying, I would buy something else for example redmi note 2 for the same price is faster and better... At the end I sold mine after month and a half, so tired about wifi, gos and battery (the white spots didn't bother me much)

Good luck

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk