Post Reply Email Thread
17th September 2015, 12:36 AM |#4171  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEpic

Hello fellow community. For the first time literally in the years I have been using this, I can't seem to get any of the apks to install. I am currently running the newest version of the tipsy rom and I really do not want to give it up. I have done extensive research but to no avail. What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance.

The only suggestion is for you to provide enough details so that others can attempt to help you. Are you saying that you can't install the current AdAway found by following the link in the OP? If so, what specific error do you receive on which device and which with ROOTED Android version?

EDIT: After some snooping, I found something called tipsy-osprey-5.1.1, a ROM for the Moto G. Based on a hunch that this might be what you are referring to, I downloaded it and lo and behold, it contains an "adaway.apk" system app of undisclosed origin. Unless that app was originally downloaded from the @mrRobinson builds discussed here (unlikely), it has an incompatible signature and would prevent you from installing any of the updates from the OP. The ROM in question seems to be rooted and therefore it should be easy for you to completely uninstall/delete (not just disable) that builtin "adaway.apk" and simply download and install the current one from the OP. Whenever there is an AdAway update, you'll be able to quickly download and install it without any error messages and without having to change anything. Did I guess right?
17th September 2015, 12:57 AM |#4172  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
That is correct. I am running their latest version 1.8.5 on a lgg3. Also, I can download each version of the apk but cannot install it. It says "app not installed." If you are correct and adaway is built in...where exactly would I go within the ROM to delete it!?
17th September 2015, 02:17 AM |#4173  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

Thanks for the update. One good guess is that "something" along the way had added unwarranted URLs to your default hosts file or somehow hijacked the DNS cache, but what matters is that your problem was not caused by AdAway and has now disappeared. In general, try not to obsess over "ad blocking', as many headaches stem from trying to block too much with too many products. Many of us like AdAway because it's extremely clean, simple, and efficient (uses NO additional resources) and gives you, the user, full control over what to block and what to allow.

Yeah so my youtube history stopped working again like 5 minutes after I posted.
I did the same trick of applying the hosts sources one at a time, and it worked for 5 minutes again.
I'm pretty confused as to what's going on.

If you and I are both running adaway as our sole adblockers, with just the 4 default hosts sources applied, are our hosts files supposed to look the same?
If so could you post it so I can find if there's something out of place with mine?

Also just as a sidenote I'm not really obsessed about adblocking, but I couldn't get adaway to work because of an unrelated issue before so I just downloaded another ad blocker.
17th September 2015, 02:40 AM |#4174  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_zuckerberg

I did the same trick of applying the hosts sources one at a time, and it worked for 5 minutes again.

If you and I are both running adaway as our sole adblockers, with just the 4 default hosts sources applied, are our hosts files supposed to look the same?
If so could you post it so I can find if there's something out of place with mine?

Also just as a sidenote I'm not really obsessed about adblocking, but I couldn't get adaway to work because of an unrelated issue before so I just downloaded another ad blocker.

Ok, le'ts try a different approach. Verify (again) that you do NOT have a forgotten proxy in your APN or any "ad blocker" running. Launch AdAway and let it update using your default source files and any black and white lists you have. Once that's done, make a copy of your hosts file (which should contain lots of entries), then uninstall AdAway. Reboot. Now look at your hosts file and verify that it still has all the same entries as the copy you made (same size file, no need to count lines). Are you still seeing lots of ads? Even after 5-10 minutes? If your ads reappear and/or your hosts file magically loses most of its entries, this has clearly nothing to do with AdAway since it's not even running.

In most cases, this type of mystery can be traced to a user oversight (forgotten proxy?), a ROM limitation (S-ON, for example), a conflict with some "adblocker" (many act as invisible proxies), etc. You mention an "unrelated issue" and maybe you should revisit whatever that issue was.

You wouldn't like my hosts file. I only use 2 of the default AdAway source files with about a dozen blacklist entries. Many of the commonly blocked servers are places my phone would never access in a million years (games, "adult" sites, sports, social media, etc.) and I see no reason to waste hosts entries for those...
17th September 2015, 03:17 AM |#4175  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:

I have this issue as well. Through testing, it looks like the host source http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt is the one causing the issue. I went ahead and whitelisted anything that pertained to Youtube from that source, and it looks like my history is working.
The Following User Says Thank You to Feeshie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Feeshie Ad-Free
17th September 2015, 03:28 AM |#4176  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeshie

I have this issue as well. Through testing, it looks like the host source http://hosts-file.net/ad_servers.txt is the one causing the issue. I went ahead and whitelisted anything that pertained to Youtube from that source, and it looks like my history is working.

The only server in the youtube.com domain that list includes is "s.youtube.com". Is that the one that conflicts with your history settings?
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
17th September 2015, 03:34 AM |#4177  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:

The only server in the youtube.com domain that list includes is "s.youtube.com". Is that the one that conflicts with your history settings?

Yep, once that was whitelisted my history began working.
The Following User Says Thank You to Feeshie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Feeshie Ad-Free
17th September 2015, 04:11 AM |#4178  

More
Quote:

Ok, le'ts try a different approach. Verify (again) that you do NOT have a forgotten proxy in your APN or any "ad blocker" running. Launch AdAway and let it update using your default source files and any black and white lists you have. Once that's done, make a copy of your hosts file (which should contain lots of entries), then uninstall AdAway. Reboot. Now look at your hosts file and verify that it still has all the same entries as the copy you made (same size file, no need to count lines). Are you still seeing lots of ads? Even after 5-10 minutes? If your ads reappear and/or your hosts file magically loses most of its entries, this has clearly nothing to do with AdAway since it's not even running.

In most cases, this type of mystery can be traced to a user oversight (forgotten proxy?), a ROM limitation (S-ON, for example), a conflict with some "adblocker" (many act as invisible proxies), etc. You mention an "unrelated issue" and maybe you should revisit whatever that issue was.

You wouldn't like my hosts file. I only use 2 of the default AdAway source files with about a dozen blacklist entries. Many of the commonly blocked servers are places my phone would never access in a million years (games, "adult" sites, sports, social media, etc.) and I see no reason to waste hosts entries for those...

Alright so I found out 2 things.
First off, applied the hosts sources, deleted adaway, rebooted the phone, the hosts file size didn't change, even after 10 minutes of use.
I also applied the hosts sources one at a time so I could get the youtube history to work with the hosts sources active, and the filesize was the same during that time as it was once the history stopped working again.
So basically I can apply the hosts one by one, and the youtube history will work, and then stop working in 2-5 minutes without any change to the hosts file.

Also the unrelated issue was the "mahakala" hosts source, if you've heard of that issue before.
Basically a hosts source that is too big for adaway, causing the app to get stuck on "parsing and applying" phase.
I don't know a lot about the technicalities of all this ad blocking stuff but I don't think that issue is related to this one.
17th September 2015, 04:16 AM |#4179  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feeshie

Quote:

Lol if only you had come here before we went through all this.
I ain't even mad tho, youtube history is good to go ))))
thanks a lot partner
17th September 2015, 04:16 AM |#4180  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you so much for this!!!!!

Sent from my G2HPZ using Tapatalk
17th September 2015, 05:04 AM |#4181  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:

Alright so I found out 2 things.
First off, applied the hosts sources, deleted adaway, rebooted the phone, the hosts file size didn't change, even after 10 minutes of use.
I also applied the hosts sources one at a time so I could get the youtube history to work with the hosts sources active, and the filesize was the same during that time as it was once the history stopped working again.
So basically I can apply the hosts one by one, and the youtube history will work, and then stop working in 2-5 minutes without any change to the hosts file.

Also the unrelated issue was the "mahakala" hosts source, if you've heard of that issue before.
Basically a hosts source that is too big for adaway, causing the app to get stuck on "parsing and applying" phase.
I don't know a lot about the technicalities of all this ad blocking stuff but I don't think that issue is related to this one.

The mahakala MOAAB monster has been discussed many times in this thread. It's not suitable for use on our mobile devices (with or without dAway), not only because of its large size, but mostly because its contents are largely irrelevant at best. There is simply no good reason to use it.

As long as your symptoms remained whether AdAway is running or not, it's clear that your issue has nothing to do with AdAway. The delay before you perceive the history as no longer working may be simply the time it takes for the YouTube app to check if it has access to your online user data. Apparently, whitelisting "s.youtube.com" (or rather NOT blacklisting it) is all that's needed, whether you use AdAway or not.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote:

Lol if only you had come here before we went through all this.
I ain't even mad tho, youtube history is good to go ))))
thanks a lot partner

Actually, YOU should have spotted the problem before going through all of this. After all, I don't use YouTube but you do. All I did was look at the source file...
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)