17th September 2015, 05:04 AM |#4181  
Recognized Contributor
/
Thanks Meter: 3,207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_zuckerberg

Alright so I found out 2 things.
First off, applied the hosts sources, deleted adaway, rebooted the phone, the hosts file size didn't change, even after 10 minutes of use.
I also applied the hosts sources one at a time so I could get the youtube history to work with the hosts sources active, and the filesize was the same during that time as it was once the history stopped working again.
So basically I can apply the hosts one by one, and the youtube history will work, and then stop working in 2-5 minutes without any change to the hosts file.

Also the unrelated issue was the "mahakala" hosts source, if you've heard of that issue before.
Basically a hosts source that is too big for adaway, causing the app to get stuck on "parsing and applying" phase.
I don't know a lot about the technicalities of all this ad blocking stuff but I don't think that issue is related to this one.

The mahakala MOAAB monster has been discussed many times in this thread. It's not suitable for use on our mobile devices (with or without dAway), not only because of its large size, but mostly because its contents are largely irrelevant at best. There is simply no good reason to use it.

As long as your symptoms remained whether AdAway is running or not, it's clear that your issue has nothing to do with AdAway. The delay before you perceive the history as no longer working may be simply the time it takes for the YouTube app to check if it has access to your online user data. Apparently, whitelisting "s.youtube.com" (or rather NOT blacklisting it) is all that's needed, whether you use AdAway or not.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_zuckerberg

Lol if only you had come here before we went through all this.
I ain't even mad tho, youtube history is good to go ))))
thanks a lot partner

Actually, YOU should have spotted the problem before going through all of this. After all, I don't use YouTube but you do. All I did was look at the source file...
17th September 2015, 05:36 AM |#4182  
Flag Underwater, no Sh!t
Thanks Meter: 1,053

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

Many of us like AdAway because it's extremely clean, simple, and efficient (uses NO additional resources) and gives you, the user, full control over what to block and what to allow.

AdAway by itself as an app doesn't use much resources- but the hosts file method sort of does, if I understand correctly?

Whenever an app requests some link/dns or whatever it is called, it is matched with the list in hosts file? I noticed that when using large file (yeha, I tried the moaab in some previous incarnation) it actually slowed the device so much that the lag became worst than the benefit of not having aa1pds. Plus, the space it occupied in system partition was also becoming a pain. So to me, not understanding how it works under the hood, is was an indication that hosts11 filqpe uses resources to some extent and it is better not to exaggerate.

Maybe modern devices are fast enough and one doesn't feel this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jaibar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jaibar Ad-Free
17th September 2015, 06:12 AM |#4183  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,663

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibar

AdAway by itself as an app doesn't use much resources- but the hosts file method sort of does, if I understand correctly?

Whenever an app requests some link/dns or whatever it is called, it is matched with the list in hosts file? I noticed that when using large file (yeha, I tried the moaab in some previous incarnation) it actually slowed the device so much that the lag became worst than the benefit of not having aa1pds. Plus, the space it occupied in system partition was also becoming a pain. So to me, not understanding how it works under the hood, is was an indication that hosts11 filqpe uses resources to some extent and it is better not to exaggerate.

Maybe modern devices are fast enough and one doesn't feel this?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To this point, at one time I counted the lines in each of the different host sources and, If I remember correctly, the total for all of them was over 200,000. I don't see how the system would not be using more resources of r/w access, memory and processing in order to match that list to web access requests. That I think I noticed a slowdown might have been a reverse placebo but I still whittled down my sources to just adaway which is the smallest and fairly effective for my use.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
17th September 2015, 04:04 PM |#4184  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEpic

That is correct. I am running their latest version 1.8.5 on a lgg3. Also, I can download each version of the apk but cannot install it. It says "app not installed." If you are correct and adaway is built in...where exactly would I go within the ROM to delete it!?

That confirms it, you have an incompatible version included in your ROM. I no longer have a copy of that ROM handy, but use your root-enabled file manager to locate and delete "adaway.apk", probably in /system/app, then reboot. If you have Titanium Backup (everyone should), simply delete the app. If you're unsure of what you're doing, make a full backup first. Once that builtin version is gone, you'll be able to install and update AdAway at will from the OP. Whoever is responsible for your ROM should probably reconsider their approach of including a version of AdAway (especially as sysapp) that can't be readily updated by the user.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
17th September 2015, 10:29 PM |#4185  
Thanks Meter: 29

More
Thanks! I'm pretty sure that someone will need this post in the future but i don't know if i should be glad or scared because i woke today and randomly guess what was in my app drawer!?!? You guessed it.. Adaway! So I'm back to feeling like a boss over my phone again but thanks for all your help! Gotta love this community!
17th September 2015, 11:06 PM |#4186  
Recognized Contributor
/

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEpic

Thanks! I'm pretty sure that someone will need this post in the future but i don't know if i should be glad or scared because i woke today and randomly guess what was in my app drawer!?!? You guessed it.. Adaway! So I'm back to feeling like a boss over my phone again but thanks for all your help! Gotta love this community!

I'm not overly familiar with your ROM but it's possible that it forcibly reinstalls its own AdAway version if you didn't thoroughly get rid of it all. Ideally whoever committed that ROM should be able to help you delete it completely. If you have the AdAway from the OP here, its "About" screen should say "Compiled by mrRobinson: Sep 08 2015". If that's what you see, you're OK... until you upgrade your ROM...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike B. For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mike B. Ad-Free
18th September 2015, 01:17 AM |#4187  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,663

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.

I'm not overly familiar with your ROM but it's possible that it forcibly reinstalls its own AdAway version if you didn't thoroughly get rid of it all. Ideally whoever committed that ROM should be able to help you delete it completely. If you have the AdAway from the OP here, its "About" screen should say "Compiled by mrRobinson: Sep 08 2015". If that's what you see, you're OK... until you upgrade your ROM...

Testify this /\/\/\. I once saw Adaway baked into a Validus (GZR) ROM based on CM.
The Following User Says Thank You to IronTechmonkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IronTechmonkey Ad-Free
19th September 2015, 01:06 PM |#4188  
Thanks Meter: 970

Donate to Me
More
I have a request.
Could you make in app a whitelist so I can deblock urls?
Every time I update my hosts file, I have to manually remove some websites that are blocked (like adfly and chathu).

If you could make a whitelist you can put the websites there and it automatically removes those websites from the host file after an update.
19th September 2015, 01:15 PM |#4189  
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 16,112

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSUsername

I have a request.
Every time I update my hosts file, I have to manually remove some websites that are blocked (like adfly and chathu).

If you could make a whitelist you can put the websites there and it automatically removes those websites from the host file after an update.

There already is a whitelist - just turn it on in preferences
19th September 2015, 01:40 PM |#4190  
Thanks Meter: 12,324

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSUsername

I have a request.

Can't tell if trolling for a joke or being serious.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrRobinson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrRobinson Ad-Free
19th September 2015, 10:22 PM |#4191  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Does anyone know if using the right filter lists would account for Disconnect Mobile's functions? Disconnect uses quite a bit of RAM, so I'd like to remove it, but it seems useful. Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)