View HoneyComb/ICS Development

Search This thread

huntman21014

Oct 23, 2010
United States
Unless you are telling me that the factory over the air update that I denied today because I heard it will soft brick if your S-off will not work on a stock view with gingerbread. Which I wouldn't understand because I thought that was the whole point.

It will but you wont be able to go back to gingerbread and you lose root if you flash it now, if you wait until we get an S-Off hBoot you can then flash HC and get root and go back to gingerbread if you want to. If you accept the update now you are pretty much stuck with no root on HoneyComb from the way the hboot process is looking.

So no you won't brick just by updating but you will be stuck without root and no way of getting gingerbread back if you accept the update now on a stock view.

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
How far along is everyone with it? I dled the OTA zip and I was going to try to create a flashable zip. What's the business with the bootloader? Do we need it to run HC?

ElAguila

Mar 12, 2007
San Antonio
Yes the bootloader is needed. The bootloader tells the tablet where android is and to go and load android and boot up the tablet. This update has its own bootloader and will not work with the old bootloader. The new bootloader is locked(known as S-On). This means no changes can be made to the bootloader or to Honeycomb. In order to get root you have to be able to make changes to the bootloader. If you try to run this with the old bootloader it will not work. If you install the ota update and replace your old bootloader with the new one that comes with this update, you will no longer have root. This means that you will not be able to install cwm or custom roms and worse, you will NOT be able to go back to the old bootloader. We are waiting for globatron or somebody else to give us a way to unlock the new bootloader first.

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Yes the bootloader is needed. The bootloader tells the tablet where android is and to go and load android and boot up the tablet. This update has its own bootloader and will not work with the old bootloader. The new bootloader is locked(known as S-On). This means no changes can be made to the bootloader or to Honeycomb. In order to get root you have to be able to make changes to the bootloader. If you try to run this with the old bootloader it will not work. If you install the ota update and replace your old bootloader with the new one that comes with this update, you will no longer have root. This means that you will not be able to install cwm or custom roms and worse, you will NOT be able to go back to the old bootloader. We are waiting for globatron or somebody else to give us a way to unlock the new bootloader first.

There was no need to explain s-on and s-off :) I'm very much aware of it and how it works. But this is the first time I actually heard that to get an update the bootloader had to be updated as well. usually you can do an update without a bootloader update so that's where I'm a bit confused. Maybe because it's a GB to HC update? When I had the evo 3d I had it s-offed with revolutionary and then they pushed that OTA with the new hboot. I was able to keep my s-off bootloader but install the ota and it kept s-off intact and then flash the new hboot which also kept s-off intact. So it's just a bit different than what I'm use to.

oldpueblo

Jan 25, 2009
So I guess I'm kind of confused. The second link from Newkid is already rooted per his post, but don't use it because you'll lock your hboot and never be able to get root again? I'm not very smrt and am probably missing somethingobvious, so you'll have to excuse me.

EDIT: Nevermind went back and saw the very obvious NOT FLASHABLE. :p

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Gotcha. I can see where that would be confusing. I wasn't sure so I went ahead with the long winded explanation.

:) yes, one of the first things I remember when i started working that my manager told me.. "always assume your users dont know anything" hehe

hey ElAguila,
off topic. you were able to flash the OC kernel in cwm? I cant get it to flash. I've downloaded it about 10 times now so I know it's not a bad dl. I keep getting that same eror the other guy in the OC thread was having. Also I'm getting an error when I try to flash the zimage like he said to do.

rkb6581

Dec 11, 2010
This might be a dumb question, but I'm trying to put this whole thing together. Once the hc zip is ready, and thank you to all the amazing devs working on it, we will have to flash the new boot loader, and then root it? So basically we will run the update and then run a boot loader unlock to get s-off, am I understanding this properly? Or will the new boot loader simply install, but be unlocked already when it flashes? Also, if one boot loader is for hc and on is for gb, wouldn't it be necessary to go back to gb one if we want to flash back to gb in order for it to boot properly? Because if this is the case, I thought you said once we update to the new boot loader there is no going back. Where am I getting the disconnect?

Thank in advance.

Sent from my PG41200 using xda premium

kaijura

Jan 1, 2011
I'm not a dev on this, but my understanding is that if it's possible, we don't have to get a new bootloader but realistically it's probably going to happen.
If it comes to it, then we may have to switch between bootloaders to "downgrade" to the GB ver, same as how the flyer instructions are given.

However if it is ever possible a ported ver of a HC rom is made for the view we wouldn't have to update the bootloader in order to run it.
I've got a ported version of ICS on my other HTC device and never had to upgrade the bootloader. I'm free to switch between gingerbread and ICS via CWM on nandroid backups. At least, that's how it works for me so far.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd always like to know the correct info.

Last edited:

DigitalMD

Mar 16, 2010
Washington DC
I'm not a dev on this, but my understanding is that if it's possible, we don't have to get a new bootloader but realistically it's probably going to happen.
If it comes to it, then we may have to switch between bootloaders to "downgrade" to the GB ver, same as how the flyer instructions are given.

However if it is ever possible a ported ver of a HC rom is made for the view we wouldn't have to update the bootloader in order to run it.
I've got a ported version of ICS on my other HTC device and never had to upgrade the bootloader. I'm free to switch between gingerbread and ICS via CWM on nandroid backups. At least, that's how it works for me so far.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'd always like to know the correct info.

You will need a new boot for a fully functional HC ROM. The partition sizes are different and the boot loader must match that among other changes. The some demo versions of HC or ICS don't have a new boot is they are hacked up demo version that don't fully function and that's part of the reason they don't fully function to put it simply.

Reactions: kaijura
Aug 19, 2009
Cleveland
:) yes, one of the first things I remember when i started working that my manager told me.. "always assume your users dont know anything" hehe

hey ElAguila,
off topic. you were able to flash the OC kernel in cwm? I cant get it to flash. I've downloaded it about 10 times now so I know it's not a bad dl. I keep getting that same eror the other guy in the OC thread was having. Also I'm getting an error when I try to flash the zimage like he said to do.

I finally got the oc kernal to flash, but only after I had flashed a customer rom. I could not get it to flash with the stock rom. Once I flashed the custom rom, it was all set. Thats how i fixed the problem

GODZSON

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 2, 2007
Boynton Beach
HC and Hardkeys Info

Reviewing the thread for hardkeys fix a member posted info of an update from Dell Streak HC that gave the device back its hardkeys ability.Maybe there's something in the effect of the update files that we can look into once Bootloader if up to get ours working.

I have no idea if this info is at all meaningful or not but the Dell 7" Streak got a Dell approved update to HC 3.2 and they managed to keep the hardware capacitive buttons working. And they are handy, in that I agree. It'd be great if the Flyer/View had them working.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

LeeDroid

Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2007
Newton Aycliffe
www.leedroid.co.uk
Reviewing the thread for hardkeys fix a member posted info of an update from Dell Streak HC that gave the device back its hardkeys ability.Maybe there's something in the effect of the update files that we can look into once Bootloader if up to get ours working.

Do you have a link to a mod thread or a ROM where said hack has been implemented, should not be too much of a challenge ;)

Sent from my LeeDrOiD loaded s-off HTC EVO 3D

GODZSON

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 2, 2007
Boynton Beach
Do you have a link to a mod thread or a ROM where said hack has been implemented, should not be too much of a challenge ;)

Sent from my LeeDrOiD loaded s-off HTC EVO 3D

Will look into it and edit this reply with info :)

My 1st find: Zip made to disable & enable captive buttons (review differ) Link
We're on the right track, Props to The Manii for the development.

Here you go Lee, we can begin here :)

Last edited:

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com

I know The Manii and also the main dev for the Dell streak 5/7. I will reach out to them. The Manii is always on irc

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I finally got the oc kernal to flash, but only after I had flashed a customer rom. I could not get it to flash with the stock rom. Once I flashed the custom rom, it was all set. Thats how i fixed the problem

Thanks! I also figured it out not long after you posted this. haha It doesnt seem to flash on the stock rom/kernel. ok sorry to get off topic :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This thread has been created to assist everyone with our Evo View and for those with the mindset, skills, mod experience to assist us. Please lets keep it clean and let's get some development going that is highly needed.

Thanks Globatron for the S-Off on View ~>HoneyComb

EVO View OTA.zip (Link2DL) **DO NOT FLASH-For Development**
    Thanks to NewKidd Here is Evo View OTA Deodexed.zip (Not Flashable)

Spec changes in HoneyComb
    ◦Physical Hard keys replaced with on screen Soft keys
    ◦New Google search, available on every page
    ◦System Bar: Quick access to notifications, status, and soft navigation buttons available at the bottom of the screen
    ◦Notifications menu moved to the bottom right corner of the screen, on the System Bar.
    ◦The Action Bar–which can be accessed by touching the Plus Sign icon at the top right of the screen–is the key to contextual, changing menus that are controlled by each application.
    ◦Enhanced security including Sprint Data Link and 3LM

Fixes include:
    ◦Google video chat
    ◦Bluetooth capable in Airplane mode

Assistance with:
    Verify CIQ is not in update-12/26 No CIQ verified
    Modding back to Hard keys ~>Link here to info Thx Themanii-12/26 LeeDroid HK Mod 100%

Thank you all, if you have other ideas please post and lets make it happen
    Yea it's exactly as I thought

2.3.4's express-keypad.kl
    Code:
    [COLOR="Red"][B]key 102   HOME              WAKE_DROPPED
    key 139   MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
    key 158   BACK              WAKE_DROPPED[/B][/COLOR]
    key 217   SEARCH            WAKE_DROPPED
    key 97	  FUNC_1	    WAKE_DROPPED

key 116   POWER             WAKE_DROPPED
    key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
    key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE

3.2.1's express-keypad.kl
    Code:
    key 217   SEARCH            WAKE_DROPPED
    key 97	  FUNC_1	    WAKE_DROPPED

key 116   POWER             WAKE_DROPPED
    key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
    key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE

Using the old kl file should work fine to reenable the buttons (incindentally it's also the same buttons as on the s7.

I cant say how you'd actually install it though, as you need either root or the ability to flash zips.

I dont know how mounting works for the flyer/view so I dont believe it would be a wise choice for me to attempt to blindly make a flashable zip for it.

The buttons are controlled by whatever keylayout is used on the flyer/view

on the s7 the keyfile is ATA2538_capkey.kl

and

Code:
    key 102   HOME              
    key 158   BACK              
    key 139   MENU

With key 102/158/139 being their respective buttons on the s7, you need to find whatever kl is used on the flyer/view and edit their 3 lines.

You can likely grab the right key numbers off <whatever was before HC>, I wouldnt imagine they changed the codes during the update

At least on the S7 there are multiple kl's that arnt used as dell didnt bother removing the redundant ones, I havnt used any other devices to compare.

You either need root or a custom rec to install it though, and it sounds like this is the biggest hurdle ATM for the flyer. 3.0+ to my knowledge contains no known exploits at all and if you cant get S-OFF i'm guessing that's the issue at hand. (I havnt ever used a HTC device so I'm just guessing)

Edit: I've downloaded the zip in the OP and it seems that the right kl is express-keypad.kl.

I need the previous 2.3.4 rom's express-keypad.kl to continue though, when someone can provide that to me I can likely figure out the rest
    thanks all guys to development our evo view ,i want to know how long our evo view can flash the unofficial android 4.0 rom?

....The #1 rule on this forum is Dont ask for ETA'S"

When It comes it comes

There are pweople working on it but there really isnt any way we can do anything until ICS drops from HTC

---------- Post added at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Instead of screwing with ICS, how about we figure out a way to enable broad stylus support on GB?

I've used ICS and GB on my SGS2 and honestly, there isn't a whole lot of difference. Anyone who thinks that ICS on their View will somehow double its speed or make it levitate will be sorely disappointed. It's better, but IMHO, not a lot.

HC is just damned slow, even overclocked. I'd go back to GB but need the pen support.

did u read the title of this thread?

View HoneyComb/ICS Development

This thread did not ask for opinions on if people THINK GB, HC, or ICS is faster, it is for DEVELOPMENT.

So create your own thread on here for "development of "broader support for the stylus. And start developing for it and hope people join in.
    Ok, So I was digging looking around the web for a device that's closest to the view in terms of HW that will offically be getting ICS. It's seems like the HTC Evo Design 4g is pretty much exactly the same HW wise (same cpu, I think same amount of ram, wimax radios etc..) I think that once it's released it's our best shot to port something from since it doesnt look like HTC is going to give us ICS.

Thats exactly what cayniarb told me actually so once we get a dump of the designs ICS build we should as the last devs for the view, work together to get a working build running for our users.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA