[From Vibrant forum] Gingerbread Keyboard (+ More) for SGS - Haptic Feedback Working

Search This thread

bts0uth

Nov 28, 2007
Lexington, KY
Saw this in the Vibrant forum and noticed no one has mentioned it over here so I thought i'd post it. I take no credit as I had no part in any of this, just sharing these guys work with more people!

Orignal thread in the Vibrant section is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=845162

Ok, BIG change starting with 2.x. I am now running a froyo (jk6) build so I will be doing more work with froyo based keyboards instead of the eclair based ones. I will not have any way to test the eclair builds any longer so if someone wants to take them over, send me a message and I will give you the sources (including build scripts).

With 2.x I have started to use the gingerbread keyboard that has been floating around. 1.x builds will continue to be eclair based.

NOTE: Currently the 2.x builds WILL replace your stock keyboard. In order for the auto-complete, I had to revert to using the stock package name. You cannot have more then one of these keyboards installed at a time. I will change this as soon as I find a solution.

I'm absolutely not responsible for anything that happens to your phone from installing this.

Change Log
v2.1
  • Haptic Feedback works
  • fixed popup punctuation outputing the wrong character
  • fixed a ui issue with wp7

v2.1
  • added smileys to normal mode next to the return key
  • added domains to the "/" popup in web mode and added them to the "@" popup in email mode
  • fixed the settings button again (have to remember to check-in the code :p)
  • moved the "," to the default spot in the punctuation popup.

v2.0 (froyo +)
  • first gingerbread based build for froyo based on Fabolous v2 with auto-correct fix.
  • it is basically stock with some tweaks.
  • added smiley images to popup
  • changes "orange" to the samsungish blue.
  • changed the punctuation popup to contain more items
  • added the "shift" char to the numbers (!@#$%^&*())
  • tweaked the "blue" glow
  • auto-complete now working
  • suggestion colors are now touchwiz like colors
  • fixed issue with bringing up settings from the keyboard button
  • fixed the popup for "P" so they all fit.
  • added additional hint key info for top row.
For Eclair (2.1) based builds, see my second post (post #3)

Stock Blue

Stock Green by creator2456 - #post
Stock_Green_3.png
Stock_Green_2.png
Stock_Green_1.png

Stock Orange by the3dman - #post
attachment.php

Blackout Orange by creator2456 - #post
Blackout_Orange_3.png
Blackout_Orange_2.png
Blackout_Orange_1.png

WP7

Blackout - based off the original blackout from creator2456

Blackout Green by creator2456 - #post
Blackout_Green_2-1.png
Blackout_Green_1-1.png

To install the 2.x versions, install package with CWM.

Note: This are English Only. The other languages have been removed. This gets the size WAY smaller, plus I don't speak anything else so I couldn't edit them if I wanted to.

thanks to creator2456, s0niqu3 and Fabolous

So, installing one of these WILL replace your stock android keyboard. For working haptic feedback make sure its version 2.1 or higher (the attached files in the first post are all v2.1+). Flash it in ClockWork Mod recovery and everything will work!
I have downloaded and flashed all three of the keyboards and they work. But you can only have one installed at a time! They WILL overwrite each other.

Attached Files are at the bottom of the first post here

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
Guess I'll be a guinea pig later and test if you can simply do this with Root Explorer or ADB cause I have a stock JI6 install with the 3e kernel.

bts0uth

Nov 28, 2007
Lexington, KY
I don't see the link to download the blackout green version

The haptic feedback bug was just fixed yesterday I believe so they are still updating some of them.
As of this post only three versions have been updated and they are all attached in the first post of their thread.

-Sent from my Captivate running Assonance v4.3 with Xcaliburhand's reoriented kernel

chrisliphart

Apr 7, 2010
Atlanta, GA
BEWARE (P8)

This killed haptic feedback system-wide on Perception 8 for me! I might work for other ROMs (everyone post their ROM with their feedback reports!), but if you're on Perception, this'll likely kill your haptics.

bts0uth

Nov 28, 2007
Lexington, KY
Im on assonance 4.3 and I still have my haptic feedback everywhere.

-Sent from my Captivate running Assonance v4.3 with Xcaliburhand's reoriented kernel

Dave the Knave

Apr 18, 2008
Baltimore
Guess I'll be a guinea pig later and test if you can simply do this with Root Explorer or ADB cause I have a stock JI6 install with the 3e kernel.

Ok so it worked for me. I used ADB and backed up my original keyboard (busybox mv LatinIME.apk LatinIME.apk.old) then pushed the replacement in there after renaming it to LatinIME.apk, pushed the libjni_latineime.so into the lib folder, rebooted and presto! Works perfectly. I grabbed the WP7 one.

Sent from my Captivate

Edit: And again, as with any keyboard mods I have install, I have gotten random shutdowns. This is most likely an isolated incident, but anyone who suffers from these may want to take heed.

Last edited:

ggonzalez7777

Jul 28, 2010
Im running the wp7 version (since I got blue on my wallpaper) and it works perfect!!! I also tried the stock one and the orange black out and they fine as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

thelastjedi

Apr 19, 2009
Raleigh
installing blackout using sideload wonder machine

Guys,
I'm not rooted (work phone :( ). Can I install the blackout version using sideload wonder machine ?
I used to have this keyboard working when I was on JH7 (installed through sideload machine). On KB1, sideloader fails to install it. I extracted the .apk from the zip and pushed that. Am i doing something wrong here ?
Please help guys. I really loved this keyboard.

liveify

Jan 24, 2011
I installed this and when i try and correct words that i have already entered it doesn't replace the word it doesn't replace it, it inserts the correct word into the middle of the word i am trying to replace.

Example. "tjr" i click it and select "the" and it turns into "tjther"

Any ideas?

mrgoodwords

Aug 25, 2010
Oakland CA
Guys,
I'm not rooted (work phone :( ). Can I install the blackout version using sideload wonder machine ?
I used to have this keyboard working when I was on JH7 (installed through sideload machine). On KB1, sideloader fails to install it. I extracted the .apk from the zip and pushed that. Am i doing something wrong here ?
Please help guys. I really loved this keyboard.

I was able to flash this but it force closes. If anyone finds a fix please post to this thread.

mrgoodwords

Aug 25, 2010
Oakland CA
I have not been able to find another keyboard to work with kb1. Instead I have decided To purchase a keyboard from the market. After looking over a couple of them and reading reviews, I have decided to choose swiftkey as my keyboard. I So far it is as good or better than the gingerbread keyboard and only cost $1. 99. I definitely recommend checking it out

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Saw this in the Vibrant forum and noticed no one has mentioned it over here so I thought i'd post it. I take no credit as I had no part in any of this, just sharing these guys work with more people!

Orignal thread in the Vibrant section is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=845162

Ok, BIG change starting with 2.x. I am now running a froyo (jk6) build so I will be doing more work with froyo based keyboards instead of the eclair based ones. I will not have any way to test the eclair builds any longer so if someone wants to take them over, send me a message and I will give you the sources (including build scripts).

With 2.x I have started to use the gingerbread keyboard that has been floating around. 1.x builds will continue to be eclair based.

NOTE: Currently the 2.x builds WILL replace your stock keyboard. In order for the auto-complete, I had to revert to using the stock package name. You cannot have more then one of these keyboards installed at a time. I will change this as soon as I find a solution.

I'm absolutely not responsible for anything that happens to your phone from installing this.

Change Log
    v2.1
    • Haptic Feedback works
    • fixed popup punctuation outputing the wrong character
    • fixed a ui issue with wp7

v2.1
    • added smileys to normal mode next to the return key
    • added domains to the "/" popup in web mode and added them to the "@" popup in email mode
    • fixed the settings button again (have to remember to check-in the code :p)
    • moved the "," to the default spot in the punctuation popup.

v2.0 (froyo +)
    • first gingerbread based build for froyo based on Fabolous v2 with auto-correct fix.
    • it is basically stock with some tweaks.
    • added smiley images to popup
    • changes "orange" to the samsungish blue.
    • changed the punctuation popup to contain more items
    • added the "shift" char to the numbers (!@#$%^&*())
    • tweaked the "blue" glow
    • auto-complete now working
    • suggestion colors are now touchwiz like colors
    • fixed issue with bringing up settings from the keyboard button
    • fixed the popup for "P" so they all fit.
    • added additional hint key info for top row.
    For Eclair (2.1) based builds, see my second post (post #3)

Stock Blue

Stock Green by creator2456 - #post
    Stock_Green_3.png
    Stock_Green_2.png
    Stock_Green_1.png

Stock Orange by the3dman - #post
    attachment.php

Blackout Orange by creator2456 - #post
    Blackout_Orange_3.png
    Blackout_Orange_2.png
    Blackout_Orange_1.png

WP7

Blackout - based off the original blackout from creator2456

Blackout Green by creator2456 - #post
    Blackout_Green_2-1.png
    Blackout_Green_1-1.png

To install the 2.x versions, install package with CWM.

Note: This are English Only. The other languages have been removed. This gets the size WAY smaller, plus I don't speak anything else so I couldn't edit them if I wanted to.

thanks to creator2456, s0niqu3 and Fabolous

So, installing one of these WILL replace your stock android keyboard. For working haptic feedback make sure its version 2.1 or higher (the attached files in the first post are all v2.1+). Flash it in ClockWork Mod recovery and everything will work!
    I have downloaded and flashed all three of the keyboards and they work. But you can only have one installed at a time! They WILL overwrite each other.

Attached Files are at the bottom of the first post here