Noob desciption of case types

Search This thread

SykesAT

Jul 14, 2010
Could someone give be a brief run down of the case types and attributes. Things like how thick they are, grip levels, impact protection, etc. I've seen tons of jell cases but not sure how jell compares to silicone or tpu and others.

LatinSilEighty

Mar 2, 2009
ok theres Silicone cases which are really grippy often flimsy and fit phones kind of loose, they offer really good protection but get stuck in your pocket and attract a **** load of lint, and also because they dont fit tight they let a lot of lint and dirt in between the case and phone

theres hard plastic cases. they come with the grippy matte(rubbery) like material that a lot of like HTC phone use on their back covers, and they also come painted with all sorts of designs and in solid colors and also come in clear, and transparent colors(like smoke and all the colors of the rainbow), these protect your phone very well but the downfall is dirt and sharp edges.

most of these cases are a bit of a ***** to get on and off and most people leave them on for a long long time only to find out that dirt and lint got in between the case and phone and left horrible rub marks all over the phone, not to mention that while flexing and moving the case tends to scratch the contact points on the phone also.

then theres my favorite Gel/Jelly/Crystal/TPU all of which are the same they are a hard rubberish case that in most cases are easy to remove and put on and fit the phone like a glove (not leaving a lot of room for dust and dirt to get in) not meaning that dirt doesn't get in but its minimal when compared to the other two types of cases. they protect your phone just as well as any other case, have moderate grip (not too grippy like the Silicone and not too little grip like the hard cases) i compare the feel to kind of like the invisible shield "kind of grip" they come in solid colors and in clear tints

Ive bought all of these cases before on multiple phones (G1, Mytouch, Nexus, HD 2) and I have given all of these a chance and no matter how many times i buy a hard case or a silicone case i always end up with a Gel/TPU case, they fit great add the least amount of bulk out of the three and have saved all of my phones from concrete and tile drops multiple times (almost **** my pants when i did it with my Nexus and HD2 though :eek:)

with all these cases your going to have to remove the case every once in a while to get the dust out that gets in between the case and phone (unless you like scratches on your phone) thats the common downside to all of these cases but in return you have the security that you wont crack or damage your phone and it will last you :D

SykesAT

Jul 14, 2010
Great write up, thanks.

So is there little difference between the Gel/Jelly/Crystal/TPU? Reason I ask is that I have the t-mo jell case right now and find it makes the phone too big. I am willing to lose some protection to get something a little thinner and did not know if one of the other materials would be a better fit.

dmtaub

Aug 30, 2008
I actually found that the T-Mo case is one of the better ones out there. It it not your normal flimsy rubber gel like I had with my HD2, but fits very snuggly and actually adds a little bit of weight to the phone, which makes it feel a little more solid. (once again, coming from an HD2 that was metal).

There are a couple of other threads about the cases, but most of them say the T-mo case is one of the better ones right now. Because the phones are new, there is not too much in the way accessories at this time.

kboater

Jan 31, 2010
I actually found that the T-Mo case is one of the better ones out there. It it not your normal flimsy rubber gel like I had with my HD2, but fits very snuggly and actually adds a little bit of weight to the phone, which makes it feel a little more solid. (once again, coming from an HD2 that was metal).

There are a couple of other threads about the cases, but most of them say the T-mo case is one of the better ones right now. Because the phones are new, there is not too much in the way accessories at this time.
that sounds kind of what i am looking for. so do they just have this one at t mobile stores? or are there several that i need to try to see which is which? the one you are describing, its not flimsly like those silicone gels?

also, what screen protector do you reccommend? I know there are other threads, but it sounds like you have tried many.

not trying to thread jack

LatinSilEighty

Mar 2, 2009
i played with the one my tmo store had when i purchased my phone and it seems way more sturdy and better quality than most (I hated the one that came with my HD2 that ***** was flimsy as hell) my only gripe with that case is the fat lip around the edge of the screen, other than that i like it, but TPU cases IMO add the least amount of thickness heres some pics to clear up names between the different type of cases

Heres a Silicone (like the one at the T-Mo store) T-mo's is way better in quality though

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-SILICONE-...ewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item43a077b6a9

heres the TPU/Gel/Jelly/Crystal/Hard Rubberish stuff :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-TPU-Case-Fi...AU_MobilePhoneAccessories&hash=item3caf486870

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-Silicone-Gel-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item84b70ce076

I think Im about to take a plunge for a Galaxy S version since its been somewhat verified that it fits the Vibrant

Last edited:

LatinSilEighty

Mar 2, 2009
Last edited:

kboater

Jan 31, 2010
Damn thread jackers... I kid.

Just an FYI and I know lots of popel love the t-mo case. Some pics to show how it increases the size of the phone. You can see a vibrant t-mo case, naked and G1.

that looks really nice and protective. does look like it adds some size though. I think im going to check it out as I really want something right now and dont want to wait form something to ship from hong kong off ebay.

i know, off topic, but what screen protector are you using in the pics? do you like it? I know in the other thread people recommned the somthing freak, but I dont love the idea of putting water all over my new phone. Most say the protectors from tmobile store are dull and dull down your screen...

SykesAT

Jul 14, 2010
that looks really nice and protective. does look like it adds some size though. I think im going to check it out as I really want something right now and dont want to wait form something to ship from hong kong off ebay.

i know, off topic, but what screen protector are you using in the pics? do you like it? I know in the other thread people recommned the somthing freak, but I dont love the idea of putting water all over my new phone. Most say the protectors from tmobile store are dull and dull down your screen...

I still have the ones that came on the phone... Still trying to determine what to buy... given myself till the end of the week to decide.

On my G1 I use bodyguardz. I really liked it but two years have passed so I wanted to see if there was anything else that people liked. I would be happy to get bodyguardz again.

LatinSilEighty

Mar 2, 2009
YOU DONT KNOW ****!!!!!!! lol j/k ok lets just call it TPU and Silicone to keep it simple

just ordered my TPU case with 3 screen protectors (you know since i have 3 screens) and three wipe cloths (in case i forget my hanky?) as you can see in the description its a "Silicone" TPU case, it must be a hybrid case? lol j/k Ebay descriptions misinform everyone

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280537757969&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

when i "Google'd" Gel case and Jelly case and clicked on "images" a whole **** load of TPU cases came up BTW :eek:

Last edited:

SykesAT

Jul 14, 2010
^^^ that's what got me kind of confused cause eBayers can list their products as multiple materials and only when you get in and read the fine print does it clarify what it is exactly. I was about to buy the exact one you bought but the buy it now price jumped to $43 as I was going though the checkout process...

thanks for everyone's help with this. Last night I bought a cheapy (link) to hold me over till there are more options.

Last edited:

kboater

Jan 31, 2010
finally went to the t moble store and got their case. its the same as the one a few posts back that has pictures. I do like it, but wish it fit just a little more snug. im coming from a mytouch that had a snap on hard shell, so im used to them fitting tight. this will do for now. thanks for the info :)

now, guess ill order the clearfreaks screen protector from ebay... not thrilled, but dont see to many other "good" options at this point

inksid

Jun 21, 2012
is it true that the silicon type of cases doesnt allow the heat to dissipate and heats up the device ?