Ubuntu Touch 13.10 Saucy on the HP Touchpad DUAL BOOT ANDROID

Search This thread

Carpetman

Apr 30, 2010
Short answer - nothing.

It provides a different GUI, and different user experience, but is quite limited in scope. Not sure that this was ever completely finished anyway.

A great effort by the OP, but imho not useful for a daily driver...tho I wait to hear otherwise :)

Peace

Sent from my Desire S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for your reply.

jshafer817

Jul 11, 2010
NRH, TX.
www.onsitedentalsystems.com
Notes...
11 to 10.2
SDCARD
change fstab.tenderloin
change storage.xml
change init.tenderloin.rc to be like 10.2
add initrc to boardconfig

Wifi
patch WPA-supp and libhardware legacy
init.tenderloin.rc from 10.2 wpa_supplicant /data/ something

BLueTooth
brought back libbt and removed it from hardware folder

VIDC:
MEDIA does not use caf

10.2 to 10.1
SDCARD
remove fstab.tenderloin
change storage.xml
change init.tenderloin.rc to be like 10.1
add initrc to boardconfig
add vold.fstab
replace recovery.tenderloin.rc

Patches!
cherrypick.sh, then add 3 patches that was used in 11.0 bluetooth and libhardware and wpa_supplicant_8.

Kernel!
change entropysel to longentropyself
add revert patch
https://android.googlesource.com/kernel/msm/+/3ff9b8e96aed47e5896751568fb4f187c4e9294c^!/

BoardConfig!
#FSTAB2
Change Fence to false!

Added 3 patches related to libhybris, copied libhybris to /external/libhybris.. and added Product_copy files to /build/target/product/core.mk like Ubuntu Touch...

TESTING

EVERYTHING WORKS SO FAR. Even youtube. (in CyanogenMod) tonight I run test_glesv2 to see if this was all worth doing. If not, I will watch commits on the tenderloin kernel and retest.

Last edited:
The links are dead. :/

Deleted

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 AM ----------

Ok, I have an HP Touch that already dual boots CM10.2. It is sitting around collecting dust as I have Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 with KK 4.4.2 on it. However, I want to try Ubuntu Touch BEFORE I sell my HP Touch. These threads are not very clear to me. What is the current status of your ROM on the HP Touch? Is there a new simplified installation guide that starts with the current builds Saucy? I am hesitant to start with installations written in Feb 2013. Any help would be appreciated BEFORE I sell this nice piece of technology.

makakiel

Nov 6, 2007
Paris
hy guy now the firs ubuntuphone has been launched by canonical can we have a "how to" to install it from scratch ?
I Mean raspberry pi2 can run ubuntu core ubuntu phone running a unbuntu core + Snappy + Mir + Unity8

kyzerdroid

Feb 6, 2013
hello whats the low down here? is there still any progress being made on ubuntu touch for the HP touchpad? i am still using my trusty tp running a very stable cm11. however it would be awesome to get a good working ubuntu touch out here for the TP:)

or does any other cool developments being made for the TP?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ubuntu Touch 13.10 SAUCY Rom Triple Boot WebOS, Android, Ubuntu Touch (Or Quad if you need to)
    09-27-2013 is the RootFS Date with apt-get dist-upgrade to 9-29-2013

Download Links Updated 09-29-2013 5:44 am central time
    http://gdurl.com/d6Qn cm-10.1-20130929-UNOFFICIAL-tenderloin.zip (Install First Kernel\Ramdisk\System Partition)
    http://gdurl.com/EnW8 saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip (Install Last Ubuntu Touch RootFS\Data Partition)

PARTITION CREATOR AND UNINSTALLER (From ACMEInstaller3 and ACMEUninstaller) Thanks Green!
    http://www.gdriveurl.com/?idl=813809797536&out=2 UbuntuTouch_Partition_Creator
    http://www.gdriveurl.com/?idl=613809797926&out=2 UbuntuTouch_UbuntuDesktop_Partition_Creator
    http://www.gdriveurl.com/?idl=513809798298&out=2 UbuntuTouch_Uninstaller
    http://www.gdriveurl.com/?idl=413809798725&out=2 UbuntuTouch_UbuntuDesktop_Uninstaller

filename.png

HOW TO INSTALL!
    You will need a little over 2 GB of space on your sdcard to devote to the new LVM Partiitons! This assumes you HAVE installed CyanogenMod (Android), ClockworkMod Recovery, MoBoot and still have WebOS. WebOS is a prerequisite for Audio. ALSO, you need novaterm. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Accessing_Linux_Using_Novaterm AND it's good to have adb as well.

NOTE! If you have Ubuntu 11.04 - 13.XX Desktop Version
    The Ubuntu Desktop LVM needs to be Uninstalled and Recreated. I have provided uImage files and Novacom to do this, or you can change the /etc/fstab file to have the correct device mapper paritition number.

Dealing with a small boot partition! It cannot hold all the uImages for WebOS, Android, Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Touch, andClockworkMod at the same time. What I usually do is move the Ubuntu Touch kernel off of /boot to /sdcard (/media/internal in webos) before installing Ubuntu Touch, then move ClockworkMod to the /sdcard after installing Ubuntu Touch, and of course move the Ubuntu Desktop uImage file back to the /boot partition for Quad-Booting. You should only do this, if you know what you are doing, as having ClockworkMod on boot is handy. Know what you are doing or don't do it. (Which is why I should probably stay away from rom building!, haha) https://github.com/jshafer817/Ubunt...mportant files after compiling/data/etc/fstab

*IF YOU HAVE ALREADY INSTALLED THE ROM THAT WAS NOT DUAL-BOOT CAPABLE, YOU SHOULD REINSTALL ANDROID FIRST SINCE WE WIPED IT OUT

*Since we are dual-booting, we need to create 3 LVM Partitions that will use 2 GB of space from the sdcard*
    1. Copy the RootFS.zip and the cm-10.zip file to the sdcard
    2. Reboot into WebOS Recovery
    3. novacom boot mem:// < UbuntuTouch_Partition_Creator
    OR
    novacom boot mem:// < UbuntuTouch_UbuntuDesktop_Partition_Creator (Requires 6.2 GB of Space, for Ubuntu Desktop 11.XX - 13.XX)
    4. Reboot into ClockWorkMod to install the cm-10-*.zip FIRST and the RootFS zip LAST
    5. Reboot and chose uImage.UbuntuTouch

Wait 3 minutes, while the touchpad boots. At some point adb will start to run. Eventually you should see a Unity Session..

If you didn't see a session!
    a) reboot!
    b) Eventually the backlight on the screen will shut off.. Touch the screen or hit the power button or home button some builds to turn the screen on. Still no session? Can you run android-chroot when you get into adb? When you login to adb it should say root@phablet and not BusyBox? You can also run /system/bin/logcat. Hold down the power button for 2 or 3 seconds and Ubuntu Touch will shutdown.

TO FORMAT UBUNTU TOUCH LVM PARTITIONS (in case your wondering create-partition.sh does this.. but what if you want to format after you install to do a reinstall??
    novaterm into webos!
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/store/ut-data
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ut-system
    mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/ut-cache

TO REMOVE UBUNTU TOUCH LVM's AND KERNEL
    novacom boot mem:// < UbuntuTouch_Uninstall

TO REMOVE UBUNTU TOUCH AND UBUNTU DESKTOP LVM's AND KERNEL
    novacom boot mem:// < UbuntuTouch_UbuntuDesktop_Uninstall

Having problems installing WebOS Applications????

https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate WebOS UpdateManager Certificate Fix
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42317438
    There is an update to WebOS.. If you wipe your device after July 23rd 2013.. Then you must do this.

Ubuntu Touch Notes!

NOTE! If you have Ubuntu 11.04-13.10 NON-TOUCH installed, you will need to:
    novacom boot mem:// < UbuntuTouch_UbuntuDesktop_Uninstall

*Built from Milaq's CM 10.1 Source WITHOUT JCSullins Bluetooth fixes

*Bluetooth and Sound come from the Ubuntu 11.04-13.10 Non touch. Mainly the upstart and executables. WebOS does get mounted for sound to get initialized. udev and pulse were patched.

*First Ubuntu Touch device running Saucy (Flipped Image) but with LVM Partitions. For this to work I had to compile lvm and e2label statically and use them in the ramdisk for Ubuntu.

How Saucy Works!?
    Kernel is loaded with an Ubuntu Touch Ramdisk (Like normal Linux). Then the data partition is mounted as root, the system partition is mounted as /system. The LXC containter loads android based off of /system, then Ubuntu Touch Session loads. This is not a chroot like quantal.

What works:
    *Camera
    *Wifi
    *Bluetooth
    *Sound
    *Accelerometer

Bugs and Beta\Alpha Stuff:
    1. PulseAudio\GStreamer\Music App is not tied to the Media Service, so the music does not play with the screen turned off. GStreamer keeps playing, but you cannot hear sound unless powerd has turned the screen on and.. ??? Not worth changing until Ubuntu Touch becomes more.. finalized. Sometimes the music does not come back on after a long sleep?
    Workarounds:
    sudo service powerd stop (with the backlight turned on)

2. Bluetooth only works in terminal
    a) this is because Bluetooth Settings has not been written to Ubuntu Touch

3. Camera App only works one time. Needs to be mirrored.. Again. Long story!

4. Brightness or Backlight settings???
    as root!
    echo "0-255" > /sys/class/leds/lcd-backlight/brightness

to set the screen brightness. 0-255 is a range of values you should use.
    0 will turn off the backlight
    255 is full birghtness
    and of course.. service powerd stop while the screen is on will stop powerd from turning off the backlight if idle.

5. Touchscreen finger liftoff does not always get detected at boot correctly. Need to talk to ubunu-devel about that.? CM-TEAM?? Hmm.. Reboot and try again!

6. Browser cannot download files. Browser cannot play videos because the latest gstreamer "has not landed yet"..

7. 720P H.264 is choppy? 480p plays fine.. Waiting for more updates.

APPARMOR NOTE: Since 2.6.35 Kernel does not have apparmor, we are using /usr/bin/aa-strip with crontab to run every minute. So if you install a click app and cannot run it, wait a minute! sed -i "s/aa-exec.*-- //g" /home/phablet/.local/share/applications/*.desktop

OPEN-SSH NOTES:
    Recently they did something to openssh. Do this to install.
    apt-get install --reinstall openssh-server
    service ssh start (every boot?)
    If powerd turns off the backlight, it suspends your ssh session. There is some code in the wifi modules that I believe is causing it. Work on that later.. or disable powerd and turn the lights off to save battery power or backlight by reading brightness notes above.

MTP-SERVER NOTE
    mtp-server has been disabled.. want to enable it? As root!
    cd /etc/init
    mv ../mtp* .
    cd /usr/share/upstart/sessions
    mv ../mpt* .
    reboot

When you do, don't expect adb to work... In Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop, you see the /home/phablet get Mounted on the filesystem via mtp.. I haven't messed with the Windows Driver.. I messed with the google one and changed the pid and vid, and.. no device was found when I ran adb.. so.. perhaps mtp shuts down adb on the touchpad.. I think that was in the upstart file though.. mtp-server-bootup.conf, etc.

MORE USEFUL NOTES

How to copy files with novaterm?
    cat filename | novaterm put file:///put/full/destination/path/filename (push example) tested
    novaterm get file:///full/destination/path/filename (pull example) untested
    novaterm get file:///full/destination/path/filename > filename (pull example) untested

How do I compile uimage-extract to extract a kernel.img and ramdisk.img from a uImage file (boot.img)?
    git clone https://github.com/jcsullins/moboot
    cd moboot/tools
    gcc -o uimage-extract uimage-extract.c -lz

How do I extract the kernel image and initramfs from a uImage file?
    ./uimage-extract uImage.filename (from inside moboot tools folder)

How to unpack and repack gzip ramdisk images?
    mkdir newramdisk
    cd newramdisk
    gunzip -c ../your-ramdisk-file | cpio -i
    make changes, next command is to pack a new ramdisk.img
    find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newramdisk.img

How to unpack and repack lzma ramdisk images? (I used lzma)
    mkdir newramdisk
    cd newramdisk
    lzma -dc ../newramdisk.img | cpio -i
    make changes, next command is to pack a new ramdisk.img
    find . | cpio -o -H newc | lzma > ../your-ramdisk-file

How to create a moboot compatible kernel?
    mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x40208000 -e 0x40208000 -n "Kernel" -d kernel.img uImage
    mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C none -a 0x60000000 -e 0x60000000 -n "Image" -d ramdisk.img uRamdisk
    mkimage -A arm -O linux -T multi -a 0x40208000 -e 0x40208000 -C none -n "multi image" -d uImage:uRamdisk uImage.CyanogenMod.new

How to connect to an open-wifi network without Unity as root?
    adb shell
    sudo su
    service network-manager stop
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "essid-you-want-to-connect-to"
    ifconfig wlan0 192.168.X.X netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.X.X
    sed -i '$ a nameserver 8.8.8.8' /etc/resolv.conf
    you should be on the net.

How can I create my own saucy-preinstalled-touch-arm.tar.gz to go into the .zip? (from a runnng device)
    adb shell
    cd /data/ubuntu
    sudo tar --preserve-permissions -zcvf /sdcard/saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz *
    exit
    adb pull /sdcard/saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz .
    now put that file in the .zip.

How do I untar the saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz file?

place saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz in the folder you want to be in, and go to that folder in terminal
    mkdir rootfs
    cd rootfs
    sudo tar --preserve-permissions -zxvf ../saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.tar.gz
    sudo make your changes as root, be mindful of permissions.

How do I swap my kernels to quad-boot? (With webOS)
    a)Before you install Ubuntu Touch, move a kernel from /boot to /media/internal
    novaterm
    mount -o remount,rw /boot
    mv /boot/uImage.Ubuntu13 /media/internal (or uImage.Ubuntu)
    b) After you install Ubuntu Touch, move it back, but remove ClockworkMod (know what you are doing are don't do this)
    novaterm
    mv /boot/uImage.ClockworkMod /media/internal
    mv /media/internal/uImage.Ubuntu13 /boot
    sync
    mount -o remount,ro /boot

How can I run webOS Doctor after all this and just start all over factory clean?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1564938 3rd post but I would skip the creation of /dev/store/cm-* partitions. Be sure to delete cm-data, cm-system, cm-cache, ut-data, ut-system, ut-cache, and ubuntu-store if you have it. Delete them all! Then recreate the lvm. If you need to recreate Android partitions do that with AcmeInstaller ie the usual way to install Android. You must start with WebOS 3.0.0 and then you can do 3.0.5. Be sure to say thanks on that post.

Thanks to:
    Ogra (ubuntu-touch, huge thanks!), castrwilliam (ubuntu desktop rom), CalcProgrammer (ubuntu desktop rom), crimsonredmk (archlinux rom), Flemmard (cm team "resizing the boot partition would be stupid", yep), Mystikal57 (sound fixes in desktop that really helped get it going), JCSullins (moboot, cm team, all sorts of stuff), Dorregray (camera fixes I need to reimplement), w-flo (ubuntu-touch), drmarble (ubuntu-touch, cyanogenmod-touchpad, big thanks to him).. and others from the #ubuntu-touch irc channel and Ubuntu 11.04-13.10 threads, cyanogenmod team, etc... "I stand on the shoulders of giants"

Look at the old Ubuntu Touch thread I started around page 17 for more in depth notes on what I did.
    OR
    https://github.com/jshafer817/UbuntuTouch

I am NOT a developer!!!!
    Well, udev is working very well.. Boots up a lot faster.. Pulse now needs to be recompiled to support ACCEPT instead of ACCEPT4. Doing that now. THEN.. sound will play.. without a process taking up all the cpu power.

Also... recompiled for /sys/class/backlight.. perhaps.. that will give us brightness control inside of Unity.
    I am giving ubuntu touch a shot.. Started it today. Could take awhile.

Waiting for another project so I might as well use this time.
    Got the 09-21-2013 Image to stay in Unity8 with LightDM... as UT did this.. more like standard ubuntu.

Network-Manager problems... and /run permissions... at the moment...

What else.. recompiled ts_srv to be in debug mode. I played with these settings and it seemed to help, but that was on an older image, 1 out of 10 did not respond to a swipe but instead a double tap. Has to do with Delta_Max, but could be UT... Hasn't happened yet on this newer image..

Big bug though.. network manager won't allow phablet to make changes..

Oh yeah..
    service stop network-manager
    iwconfig wlan0 essid "tadaow"
    ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.99 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1
    edit /etc/resolv.conf and add nameserver 8.8.8.8
    apt-get update
    upgrade....
    accountsservice camera-app gir1.2-gudev-1.0 libaccountsservice0 liblxc0
    libpam-systemd libsystemd-daemon-dev libsystemd-daemon0 libsystemd-id128-0
    libsystemd-id128-dev libsystemd-journal-dev libsystemd-journal0
    libsystemd-login-dev libsystemd-login0 libudev-dev libudev1 lxc lxc-dbg
    lxc-dev mediaplayer-app pulseaudio python-systemd python3-lxc
    systemd-services ubuntu-clock-app ubuntu-rssreader-app ubuntu-touch-session
    ubuntu-weather-app udev unity-scope-click

Yes... See what happens. I will end up downgrading lxc.

Probably time to recompile systemd and pulse with our patches.

EDIT: Volume Control Buttons are working.
    Added accept4 to the kernel. No longer have to recompile udev or pulse.

But.. we have a gstreamer codec issue... Working on this. This is good though. Video.. sort of plays now.