FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Discussion] Direct access to e-MMC to fix bricked KF (HD 8.9 version)

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By kurohyou, Member on 23rd December 2013, 03:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
25th May 2014, 01:59 PM |#61  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

OK I'm burning this app with fire for deleting a very lengthy tutorial I just wrote and somehow deleted by bumping spacebar... Lemme edit this post from my laptop where I don't have to worry about apps that screw me over.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

You will understand why i am really po'd right now after i finish retyping this message again and see how long of a message i typed that got erased in an instant

Ok so what i'm going to tell you to do involves your own kindle that your got back up and running, you need to dump the emmc from it which in itself is not completly possible unless its hooked up to your pc via a sdcard reader to the motherboard like before, but in this instance you don't really need to because if i remember correctly i can still fix it if the dump is complete enough. This would be easier if otg was working because you could dump to a flash drive but thats still not working just yet so no worries. What you will need to do is boot into twrp and go to mount and uncheck everything except data, then it connect to a pc and run these commands:

Code:
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0 of=/sdcard/emmc.img
adb pull /sdcard/emmc.img .
adb shell rm /sdcard/emmc.img
This will take quite awhile to dump and pull as it is going to be a huge file, i recommend clearing as much space off the kindle before you do this as you can(atleast 2gb). Now let me explain why this is not the best idea to do normally, first off this is going to result in an incomplete dump as we are going to be attempting to dump the entire emmc (which is like what, 14 gb it think?) and dumping it to the same storage device that already has space used on it, so theres no way it could fit, so it will just error out at some point, but by the time it errors out it should have finished the important partitions, the biggest partition is the last partition if i remember correctly, which is /data. The other reason this would be a bad idea is because we are trying to clone a entire drive/partition and when doing that you would want all drives/partitions to be unmounted, but since we have to store it on the emmc we have to leave /data mounted in order to store the file. It isnt a good idea to generate an image of a partition while the data is being accessed and modified, but in this case twrp is barebones compared to android so not too much in data should be in use and the data partition is going to be incomplete/corrupt anyways when we get this working.

Now once that has finished pulling and you deleted the file on the device itself so you won't have literally no space left on the device, try running this with the other kindle hooked up via the sdcard reader and all of its partition unmounted:
Code:
sudo dd if=emmc.img of=/dev/sdb
i believe this is the correct command, it might need a bs=1 added to it but i'm not positive, i don't deal with flashing kindles emmc's personally, i just can take educated guesses at the command paramters because of linux experience. Now when it is complete i recommend ejecting the kindles sdcard reader and plugging it back in and seeing if gparted will show you the correct partition layout, at which point i'm guessing it will either say the last partition on the list is either unknown, unallocated space, or might even say ext4 but it will more than likely be corrupt. The best news about this is that if you already have twrp + second bootloader on your kindle, then when you turn this kindle on it should be able to boot into twrp and you will more than likely have to if the /data partition is corrupted. Once in there i'm not sure if a internal storage wipe will fix the problem or not, you might have to manually run a command via adb shell that reformated the partition but i'm not positive. So when you get it as far as the partition showing back up please post back and i can provide more instructions.

^^Now you see why i was so po'd since i origanally typed all this on a touchscreen...

thanks for your time
so long, so many words
sorry
my English seems good enough
i don't know the first step, next and so on
i am a little stupid.....
i am trying my best to understand your every words..
25th May 2014, 06:11 PM |#62  
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 638

Donate to Me
More
Run the first set of commands on your own kindle while it is in twrp from your computer. Then hookup the hard bricked kindle and run that other command. Tell me if it can boot into twrp after that.

25th May 2014, 08:14 PM |#63  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:

Run the first set of commands on your own kindle while it is in twrp from your computer. Then hookup the hard bricked kindle and run that other command. Tell me if it can boot into twrp after that.

Unfortunately, because of the way recovery had to be jammed into the existing bootloader you cannot mount with TWRP. Do you think this would work from him in ADB?

Sent from my Amazon Jem using Tapatalk
25th May 2014, 09:46 PM |#64  
Flag New Braunfels, TX

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moor Terces

Unfortunately, because of the way recovery had to be jammed into the existing bootloader you cannot mount with TWRP. Do you think this would work from him in ADB?

i am completely lost, mounting and unmounting works just fine in twrp, otherwise we couldnt flash roms. Hence why he should boot recovery unmount the unessassary partitions if they are mounted and run those commands over adb.
26th May 2014, 01:19 AM |#65  

More
I know, it's totally weird. You can't use the mount feature on the Kindle 8.9. It has to do with the way the bootloader is hacked and is also why using the wrong TWRP install process hard bricks so easy. The only way to talk to it is through fastboot or the OS.

Basically TWRP is installed in a split second gap within the existing bootloader. That is why when you boot up you still see the orange logo before the blue takes over. In the earlier versions the bootloader is completely replaced. It totally drove me nuts for awhile after coming from a first gen, and part of the reason I tried to start over and bricked my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
26th May 2014, 02:16 AM |#66  
Flag New Braunfels, TX

Donate to Me
More
That's kinda how it works. Twrp replaces the stock recovery partition, and the bootloader is left untouched, if we so much as touch the bootloader it will break its signature and hard brick. What we did was add a 2nd bootloader in front of the kernel in the bootimg and when the bootloader boots up and tries to execute the kernel it instead executes the second bootloader, from their either the offset kernel will get loaded or it will boot the recovery partition.

I agree the kf1's were nicer in that aspect, made it much easier to flash custom ROMs without worry of hard bricks.

26th May 2014, 04:28 AM |#67  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:

sorry
may I ask a stupid question´╝č

with WIN OS or linux OS when run the command´╝č
26th May 2014, 06:54 AM |#68  
Flag New Braunfels, TX

Donate to Me
More
Be easier to run them all from Linux since then very last command is a Linux command.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Free mobile app
22nd June 2014, 11:16 AM |#69  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpy123

Hi all, I have been reading this post with great interest having bricked my KF 8.9, but when opening the KF up the mainboard looks nothing like the one post here. Please see the attached picture; can anything be done with this one.

Hi.
I have pinout eMMC.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2775022
But I have some problems with connection. Connecting VCCQ and VCC with the cardreader the voltage on the output drops to 0V. While connecting VCC (eMMC) with the card reader and VCCQ through voltage regulator 1,8V the voltage doesn't drop but the computer can't detect eMMC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fire_pin_emmc_sdcard_.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	2811413  
22nd June 2014, 05:21 PM |#70  

More
Is that the mother board for the 7 in Kindle? When set up in the first scenario is your computer recognizing the chip?

22nd June 2014, 07:54 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moor Terces

Is that the mother board for the 7 in Kindle? When set up in the first scenario is your computer recognizing the chip?

I have Fire HD 7''. I just replyed for the post of "simpy123". The computer didn't recognize the chip neither the first nor the second time.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
emmc, hard-bricked, kindle fire 8.9, repair, soldering

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)