FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Discussion] Direct access to e-MMC to fix bricked KF (HD 8.9 version)

49 posts
Thanks Meter: 85

By kurohyou, Member on 23rd December 2013, 03:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd June 2014, 07:54 PM |#71  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moor Terces

Is that the mother board for the 7 in Kindle? When set up in the first scenario is your computer recognizing the chip?

I have Fire HD 7''. I just replyed for the post of "simpy123". The computer didn't recognize the chip neither the first nor the second time.
22nd June 2014, 11:48 PM |#72  
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 638

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery_

I have Fire HD 7''. I just replyed for the post of "simpy123". The computer didn't recognize the chip neither the first nor the second time.

just to verify everything an dsuch does the computer recognize the fact a sdcard reader was even hooked up? i could see windows not recognizing a kindles emmc considering its odd partition layout and the fact the partitions are mostly ext4. Just wanted to verify you are in linux when you say that the computer isnt recognizing it.
23rd June 2014, 06:36 PM |#73  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

just to verify everything an dsuch does the computer recognize the fact a sdcard reader was even hooked up? i could see windows not recognizing a kindles emmc considering its odd partition layout and the fact the partitions are mostly ext4. Just wanted to verify you are in linux when you say that the computer isnt recognizing it.

I tried both in windows (Win32DiskImager) and in linux. The computer recognizes card reader but it doesn't recognize the card in it. The card reader is external and it is connected through usb port. I suspect that there are problems with the card supply.
24th June 2014, 05:20 PM |#74  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valery_

I tried both in windows (Win32DiskImager) and in linux. The computer recognizes card reader but it doesn't recognize the card in it. The card reader is external and it is connected through usb port. I suspect that there are problems with the card supply.

Did you open Gparted to see if it recognizes the partitions? If not double check all of your connections as I'm sure you've done a few times. Also make sure you have the proper pin jumped so the card reader thinks there is a card in it. I know that was an issue for a few folks.

Sent from my Amazon Jem using Tapatalk
14th August 2014, 05:37 AM |#75  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Someone want to try reviving my motherboard?
OK, so like a doofus I loaded the wrong ROMs and bricked my KFHD 8.9. I have pulled the motherboard out of the device but I am a software guy and never learned to solder. Is there anyone out there willing to do the recovery for me? I will make it worth your time!

--David
7th April 2015, 10:39 AM |#76  

More
I may repair it for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by dathay

OK, so like a doofus I loaded the wrong ROMs and bricked my KFHD 8.9. I have pulled the motherboard out of the device but I am a software guy and never learned to solder. Is there anyone out there willing to do the recovery for me? I will make it worth your time!

--David

Do you still have an unbricked KFHD? I have the same issue and I was collecting all the information to unbrick it, and I once I do successfully unbrick mine I will be able to do the same to your and test it before I close my kindle... so let me know asap.

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Hi guys,

First of all thank you very much for all the details you shared with us about how to unbrick this tablet, I was trying this out myself but it was taking me a huge amount of time before I read this thread and I feel now confident about the chances of reviving this tablet after a month of desperation as I don't like to give up on broken stuff...

I have some questions maybe before I start, my tablet was bricked after flashing via TWRP the FFF and since it shows no sign of life, I did open it and I am familiar with the components right now after studying it, and the pics share here helped me to know that it is very possible to fix it, my main question is to know if I can write the FFF again or another bootloader to replace it via linux command directly to the partition, (please can you be specific about it's naming or location to avoid confusion and further questions) so I don't have to redo all from scratch (rooting and installing CM12, gapps, xposed, etc that I've done before hard bricking it)??? and I know that if I redo the soldering more than once I will destroy it probably, I wil buy a new soldering iron and flux and some other tools to be able to do this, if you can provide advices about the tools to buy i will be grateful and if there is a solution that make it avoidable to solder stuff to the mobo I will try to get them (I know that it is possible to connect via some pins like the buttons on tablet are working and maybe putting up a tool to do this easily for repairing many tablet will be a good project since Amazon warranty is crap and there is many like me who are left behind and have no choice than putting it in trash bin or selling for parts on ebay.
24th April 2015, 05:15 PM |#77  

More
it seems like nobody is interested by this tablet anymore
25th April 2015, 02:21 AM |#78  

More
Go to post 35 in this thread and you will see my write up for how to do this. I was as detailed as I could possibly be and linked to all the raw files you need. I am typing this on the same Kindle I brought back to life. By far the hardest part is the soldering. The first time I did it it didn't work and had to resolder everything. I left a leader on the vcc it was so hard just in case haha. If you are carefully not to heat up the board or chips by lingering with your soldering iron you should be OK. Mine survived me doing it twice so it is resilient. One tip is to presolder the tip of the wires and use the iron just to heat the wire. Also got a tiny tip iron that helped and rigged up some clips to help out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moor Terces For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Moor Terces Ad-Free
13th June 2015, 03:34 PM |#79  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
[QUOTE=kurohyou;48742493]Hello my brothers from the KF HD 8.9" forum! I come from over yonder at the KF2 forum with some useful information. Several months ago, I started this thread about "hacking" a KF2 in order to restore it from hardbrick. Well, thanks to a generous donation from @v0id7, I've finished the first steps of the process for 8.9" devices ! Unfortunately, as I do not have a spare 8.9" sitting around, all I can do is provide the pinout for continuing the process (although, v0id7 has mentioned to me that he is going to test it out on his device).

I have most of the process for the KF2 outlined over on this guide (minus the software part for now), but if you don't want to read that or the other post, here's a short rundown: You solder to a few points on the motherboard, allowing you to bypass the KF's processor and directly access the information on the eMMC. This allows you to reflash whatever it was that you flashed in the first place to kill said KF.

Once I have word from v0id7 that this does indeed work on the 8.9" (which I can't foresee it not working), I'll probably set up a guide specifically for the 8.9", as well.

I'm also in the process of prototyping something that would allow access without soldering. Hopefully I'll have the prototype done in the next few days here.

Let me know if you have any questions/comments/concerns.

...and now that I've blathered on for a while, here's the pinout:

Are there any alternative Pinouts on the top? I´ve got a board here, but the preowner broke three of the pads. DAT 1, DAT 3, DAT 0....

Greets Painker
12th January 2016, 03:10 PM |#80  
Flag Glasgow
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Attempt at unbricking HD8.9
Firstly, thank you kurohyou for the original post & Moor Terces (#31) for the excellent step-by-step guide.

I won’t go into the process of how I managed to brick the Mother -in-laws HD8.9, but suffice it to say I ended up having to try this process after a VERY stupid mistake! Like many people in the Kindle forums I was one of the “well I’ve never bricked anything before” group! The kindle was completely dead (incorrect bootloader) & wouldn’t respond to anything.

Prior to bricking the kindle I took a backup of the boot0block, stock-boot, stock-recovery & stock-system files.

I stripped the motherboard out & connected it as per the instructions using a USB card reader. Using Ubuntu I ran gparted. At first I was constantly getting read /write errors, but I think I tracked that down an incorrect Vcc connection on the very small resistor on the top of the board (I found the other pads fine to solder onto, but that last Vcc was a pig!). Finally I got the card reader accessing the motherboard correctly. The first laptop I tried was still giving lots of read / write errors, but a second laptop (running the same live copy of Ubuntu) read the partitions fine.

I managed to copy both the bootloader (I am already running as root):
Code: dd if=kfhd8-u-boot-prod-8.1.4.bin of=/dev/sdc2 bs=1

and the recovery:
Code: dd if=recovery.img of=/dev/sdc9

but when I came to the boot on partition 10
Code: dd if=boot.img of=/dev/mmblk0p10

it kept giving an error saying that there was no space left on the device.

Looking at gparted (screenshot attached), it says that partition 10 is 8.00MiB. My saved boot.img (v8.5.1) is 8,192KB & the version downloaded fm XDA (v8.1.4) is the same size. Neither will dd across.

I was hoping from previous posts that it might be enough to enter fastboot with just the first two files, but no joy. After re-assembly the kindle is still completely dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-01-11 15_12_47.png
Views:	58
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	3607648  
14th January 2016, 06:58 PM |#81  

More
Hello Chameleon,

I feel your pain. I too would have never imagined that I could make a mistake like that haha. I had a bunch of windows open including an original Kindle root and accidently used it instead of the 8.9 HD version ugh. Also that VCC was definitely the hardest connection. I even left a taped off lead just in case.

As for the Boot.img, I looked around and you are right all of the boot.img files are too big for this type of recovery. I'm certain I got this from the first aid kit and it appears it was different than the files I've seen in the links in the other threads. To help you out why not try the one that I used. It is 4,285kb so should definitely fit. Let me know if it works for you!
Attached Files
File Type: img boot.img - [Click for QR Code] (4.18 MB, 140 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
emmc, hard-bricked, kindle fire 8.9, repair, soldering

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)