HTC One M8 Bug-Find List

Search This thread

talla1

Aug 13, 2014
Device SOMETIMES rotates to all 4 direction even though auto rotate is disabled

Hey guys...I haven't seen a thread started for this yet and since I've been toying around with my M8 all day I figured I'd share 2 bugs I seem to have found and if you guys have found any feel free to contribute. Any edits I make will be for resolutions and updates to the bugs found. So far what I've found:

- I seem to have difficulty deleting files off of the external SD card. I have my pictures saving by default to it and I noticed if I delete one it disappears then pops back up. This happens through ES File Explorer.
--Issue lies with Kit Kat version not the phone itself

- When I manually set my brightness and then open up the camera it auto increases the brightness (which I don't think is a bug) the bug however, when you exit the camera app the brightness remains the same and doesn't revert back to your manual setting.
--If you exit the camera and then shut the screen, when you turn the screen on again you have your manually set brightness back.

- the buttons like to reappear over the top in immersive mode, they appear on the side if rotation is disabled

- the task switcher has options at the top, task manager and close all that get covered by the notification bar at the top

- blinkfeed looks odd with the 4 menu buttons still appearing

- Possible static on other end when using speakerphone

- Cannot take pictures of front and back of a check with the Bank of America app check deposit feature

- Snapchat filters will cause the screen to flicker.

- When authorising Sense's access to Facebook the Facebook app will take you to your newsfeed, meaning you cant authroise until you get to the homescreen. It's somewhat confusing, if you already have a HTC phone you won't see this issue.

Hi,

I got my m8 a few weeks ago, and in the past few days I noticed an annoying bug. Sometimes, without any notice, the device will start to rotate into all 4 directions. Even the home page rotates and that app doesn't even support landscape! It even allows me to hold the phone completely up side down. I do not use auto rotate at all, it is disabled at all times, and when that issue happens, I can verify that the auto rotate is disabled. When it happens, it affects the home screen and all running apps. Even apps that I told to be only portrait are rotating to all 4 directions.

I have a video of this bug happening, but I haven't posted it yet anywhere.

I tried talking to htc support chat service, but they just told me to clear the cache. Unsurprisingly, it didn't solve the problem. They insist that some app does this and it's not a phone bug.

I did some Android dev back at the time and I'm definately not an expert, but as I see it, there's no way an app can override the auto rotation setting of the phone without changing it, and there's no way an app can make the home page be in landscape but when I just do regular auto rotate (when the problem does not occur) and it doesn't rotate to landscape. Sounds like a definite phone ROM issue to me.

I currently have version 1.54.707.7 installed and I'm nervous about upgrading to 2.22.707.3. I'm afraid that they created more bugs than resolved, like it happened to me with my previous phone, Samsung S3.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Tal

UPDATE:

I switched to latest ARHD rom that can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2694917

and it's awesome. All problems were solved, and I retained my sense UI look and feel.

Note that I updated to latest OTA before installing ARHD. Apparently it's something you need to do in order to update the firmware to latest.

Last edited:

coolawy

Oct 23, 2011
Częstochowa
I have the T-Mobile version, running stock, and never get sounds or notifications In the top bar when I get text messages. Have to open messenger app to see if I have any or not.
Didn't you use sms backup app to transfer your messages to the phone? I did it and I also didn't get notifications. To fix this you have to change default sms app to standard one under settings>more>default sms app
I hope it will help

Oct 23, 2010
I've found that there's a small population of M8's that after some time, lost stereo capability. When a headset jack is plugged in it will only play out of one side. I've tested this with the same pair of headphones between my computer and my M8, and also tested it between my car's head unit and my M8. Everything validates this hardware issue. Anybody else experience this?

letmein713

Jul 29, 2013
Boston
I've found that there's a small population of M8's that after some time, lost stereo capability. When a headset jack is plugged in it will only play out of one side. I've tested this with the same pair of headphones between my computer and my M8, and also tested it between my car's head unit and my M8. Everything validates this hardware issue. Anybody else experience this?

Furthermore, there is a gps problem. M8 used to detected correctly my current location(a district) but it shows me a city. The current htc clock and weather widget show my city instead of a district. Google map is displaying a correct location.

boe323

Jun 22, 2012
Burton on Trent
Furthermore, there is a gps problem. M8 used to detected correctly my current location(a district) but it shows me a city. The current htc clock and weather widget show my city instead of a district. Google map is displaying a correct location.
I have noticed a gps issue since the so called gps performance update, it takes a lot longer to lock on now, even with modded gps.conf

decmk

Jul 5, 2008
Same here, problem with GPS
Fix time from 10 sec to 40+ on the same spot.

Also clock widget is showing whether from place which is 400 km away from my location.
Clear data has no effect.

HTC ONE M8

Last edited:

RishiChhikkara

Dec 30, 2012
New Delhi
there seems to be some problem while using the equaliser apps in M8, I have downloaded almost every equaliser app , but nothing seems to work, it works for the current song, but with next song, it's goes back to normal, not even music player apps are doing right, even their equaliser doesn't work

DerkWehler

Dec 24, 2010
HTC M8 Verizon Texting App Cut/Paste bug

I've had an M8 for a few months now from Verizon.

Generally very happy with except for two things. I wasn't really sure where to post this; I do not frequent this site, but I wanted to put it some where it *might* be useful, and help to get fixed someday...

The first issue, and not the one I am really writing about, which has happened since day one, is that when I tap on a number to call someone (doesn't seem to matter much where I tap from, but usually Contacts)... about 70% of the time it just stalls. You think (for the first several times anyway) that you must not have made contact, but you did. It just stalls about 10-20 seconds and then finally comes up and starts to make the call.

This is highly annoying, but had been the only complaint I'd had until recently.

Typing this now set off the light bulb in my head -I had not connected prior- that there was very recently an auto-software update from Verizon. And it seems that's approximately when this started:

I use Verizon messaging app, and much of the time now if I have typed/spoken some text, and I "Highlight all" then tap "cut", it does not cut. If I "paste" it is not there. Pretty sure "copy" not working either. Only seems to be on Verizon messaging app, so really should be reporting this to them, but god knows how to get to the info to the right people at Verizon.

Restarted the phone last night (for other reasons) and when I tried it this morning, it didn't work. But then I shut down and powered back on and cut/copy/paste was working again.

Just wanted to post FWIW.

(Possibly) Relevant phone info:

Andorid: 4.4.3
Software number: 2.21.605.2
HTC SKD API level: 6.25
PRI: 2.64_002
PRL: 15342
ERI: 5
Kernal 3.4.0-g620712e
Baseband version: 1.09.20.0702
Build number: 2.21.605.2 CL362279 release-keys

I don't know what several of those latter ones are, but figured TMI better than TLI.

talla1

Aug 13, 2014
Enabling hot spot disables mobile data??

Hi,

I'm using ARHD 10.2 on my international HTC M8 and I simply LOVE THEM (the phone and the ROM). It's perfect other than the weird issue I'm having in the last couple of weeks.

When I enable mobile hot spot, the 3g data is being disabled! I can connect devices to the phone, but they can't surf the web, and the phone can't surf also while the mobile hot spot is on!

I'm not sure if it's ROM related, network related, or app related, but I was hoping that someone would know.. I haven't found any information on this issue anywhere on XDA or the web.

Thanks in advance,

Tal

Itcouldbeyou

May 14, 2010
(This is a friends phone)
When I call someone (or get called) , I can't hear the other end. When I activate the Loudspeaker, its the other way around and the called one can't hear me but I can hear him.
With a wired or bluetooth headset it works both ways.
I tried resetting the Dialer App without success. I since upgraded to 5.0 but nothing changed.
Everything worked in the beginning. Then I think it only worked on the loudspeaker and now it doesn't work at all (only with a headset).
Any ideas besides resetting the entire phone?

eoinnn1

May 5, 2015
can't disable lock screen

For quite a while now I have had this problem while trying to disable lock screen, would someone possibly know how to fix this? Thanks, photo attached!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-05-23-06-41.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-05-23-06-41.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 311

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have the Sprint M8.

The camera (and the google camera) both die when started or turned to portrait mode. Always. HTC confirmed that this is a bug in M8 and maybe M7, and is caused by giving password managers (e.g., Last Pass) permission under Accessibility. If you turn this off, the cameras do not crash. They do work in landscape mode. However, filling in passwords is more important to me than the camera--I have real cameras. This is a bug HTC must fix. Of course their e-mail support said to reset the phone... But the chat person gave me the correct answer.

Second, I had 4G LTE reception on my old EVO 4G LTE phone. But only 3G on my M8. I think the M8 has all the bands of the old phone, so I would really like someone to explain this to me. It is a big step backwards.

I was also unable to restore the backup of my old phone that I have made to the SD card using MyBackup Pro. Only the HTC backup program really works now.

I spent hours creating my desktop (I have lots of apps). But I hit something, and Sprint started downloading crapware (eBay and others) and wiped out my desktops! I had to redo this again

Finally, has anyone figured out a good place to store the little sd-card slot key?

I have better LTE reception with the M8 than my EVO 4G LTE. I'm even connecting to Spark at home which was not possible before. It has not been officially rolled out in Orlando but I'm starting to pick up the signal in various parts of town.

Using TB I was able to restore all my backups. I created update zips of my apps with data and flashed them through recovery and I also used TB to restore my sms/mms xml backup. For some reason the sms/mms update zip did not work, I think TWRP may have crashed before finishing the list of zips to flash but I did not go back to test that.

As far as your desktop it's still there. Look for the Sprint ID app in your drawer and select the HTC profile. It creates a backup before loading you up with all the Sprint @%&$/&.
    Sometimes the app drawer gets dark. uploadfromtaptalk1397906204291.jpguploadfromtaptalk1397906220819.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk
    Boomsound is greyed out when connected to BT as htc stated it can be turned on and off. Spotted by @Patrics83 & I have the same problem anybody else have it too.

Sent from space
    A bit off topic but I think it's amazing that there are only five pages and minimal bugs after a month of this phone being released. It really shows how good HTC work to make the phone amazing.

Boomsound not being sent over Bluetooth is a bit of a bummer, but it's also a waste of time. Most Bluetooth devices (for example, my car) have beat in equalisers anyway, and this is all that Boomsound is. HTC just need to get the information regarding it a little bit better on their website.

One thing that really does annoy me, and I think it's an issue with Google more than HTC, is that when you first get the handset and you tie it to a Google Account it's never been associated with before, you will notice that certain apps that have updates don't show in the Play Store. For example my HTC Blinkfeed and Service Packs had an update, but they weren't appearing in the updates section or installed apps section. Same for Amazon MP3.

This tends to fix itself after 24 hours or so, but nonetheless it's a bug that I've been able to document with other phones too. What an annoyance.
    I have this too. I wish i could turn it off as there always seems to be a loud hiss with bluetooth calls.

The problem is that we can't decide if we want BoomSound or not via Bluetooth.
    And the default sound profile basically sucks,
    and are responsible for the "loud hiss" as you call it.

I have been in contact with HTC about this issue. And after several emails between me and HTC they finally gave me this answer:

"It’s unfortunately a misprint on the website, it only works with wired headsets."

[emoji35]

With other words HTC m7 is the phone you want if you are planning to use a Bluetooth headset...

I'm more then happy with the m8 overall but the Bluetooth audio quality is really bad.

If you want HTC ti fix this problem then simply bug them about it until they do something about it.
    A flagship device from HTC year 2014 shouldn't have flaws like this.
    Luckily this seems to be only software related [emoji2]

My research: I have tried with two Plantronics headsets, BackBeat and Legend.
    I also compared them with my old m7.
    The tests have been performed on the initial software version and the current one 1.54.401.5

Sent from my HTC One (m8)