XDA Comet flashing via USB

Search This thread

pepelu456

Nov 15, 2007
As I couldn't find a MiniSD (less than 2Gbytes, impossible where I live) I worked on re-flashing my Comet back to the German ROM using USB.

1. Downloaded the Comet ROM + Extended Rom files that Scorpio had placed in rapidshare

2. Executed the DSUU for Atom Life (WWE 20070914) and cut the 12 header bytes from both "FLASH.dio" and "ExRom.img" and pasted those 12 bytes in the German Comet AL1.dio and ExRom.img, and renamed AL1.dio to FLASH.dio

3. Placed the patched German files in the DSUU temp directory, replacing the original WWE files (c:\windows\temp)

4. Instructed DSUU to proceed as normal

5. The deviced cold-booted after finishing and worked.

So, flashing vía USB can be achieved by means of re-using the 12 bytes of both headers (it might be needed depending on the original ROM, to either edit Pass.32 or to hold down the "arrow key" of the PC at the initial stages of DSUU to skip the CID check).

Of course, this has not cured my "Radio ROM" problem, as my XDA Comet still has the WWE Atom Life Radio Rom, which does not work on Comet devices.

I will now work in finding a way (shall it exist) to dump the Radio Rom (I have already got itsutils and executed pdocread a couple of times).

Best regards

scorpio16v

Oct 3, 2006
www.youtube.com
Hi
Maybe you can dump the radiorom with haret.
Unfortunetly I have not the knowledge to help you in these job.
You flashed the complete update with replaced files ?
Or did you flash OS and ExtROM only ?

pepelu456

Nov 15, 2007
I flashed the complete upgrade.

I did so because I had already flashed the complete WWE Atom Life upgrade, so in my case it made no difference, to put all these extra files back into the device, as they were already there!!!

But if we manage to find out which files affect the GSM/Radio part (and we also find out how to dump radio roms), it might be that we end up with a clear process to update Comet/Life with different ROMs using USB.

P.D.
I did my best into getting a 512 Mbytes MiniSD, but MediaMarkt, Saturn and smaller shops did not have anything so small. They were basically focusing on SD or MicroSD. I think MiniSD may end up as a dead technology.

scorpio16v

Oct 3, 2006
www.youtube.com
P.D.
I did my best into getting a 512 Mbytes MiniSD, but MediaMarkt, Saturn and smaller shops did not have anything so small. They were basically focusing on SD or MicroSD. I think MiniSD may end up as a dead technology.

You can try a bigger card. If it will be recognized, you can flash with this one.
I don't think, that the device will be damaged.
But I haven't test it.

PS:
I played with pdocread and the following command dumps a part, contained the bootloader.
As I said I don't know how to use pdocread to dump a specified part, but maybe this is a small hint, how you can use this tool.
pdocread.exe -n 0 0x00000000 0xFFFFFFFF -b 0x100000 File_out.bin

I belive, if you can dump the bootloader, you can also dump the radiorom.:)
I hope you have success to lokate the Radiorom.
If I can help to dump the radio, PM me.

I'm not sure, but if you choose in BL:
(5) Burn MOT/BL via UART
and insert a MiniSD, it appered the messages "couldn't find parti.mbn , amsshd.mbn and amss.mbn.
amss.mbn must be the RadioROM.

Last edited:

pepelu456

Nov 15, 2007
Your pdocread command works in my mixed WWE-GER device too and dumps te bootloader.

Trying to access binary partition 1 delivers the following error:

"Invalid controler"

Trying to access binary partition 2 delivers the following:

-- Once again the same dump of the bootloader.

--------------------
I also think that it should be possible to dump the Radio ROM, as DSUU is able to report the "date" of the Radio ROM file, whereas WM6 is unable to communicate with the Radio Stack.

Of course, the obvious (not necessarily true) reasoning is that WM6 is trying to use standard API calls that are failing whereas DSUU is accesing the ROM files before going into bootloader mode (when the user decides to execute the upgrade)

HARET fails to dump anything over 4Kbytes with a "short write to disk detected" (it will sometimes not write a single byte down)

Both behaviours may be caused by lack of adaptation to this specific hardware platform.

Regards

P.D.
I really find it unbelievable that the Atom Life has had so little hacking, taking into account that it has been sold by O2 Asia for quite a while, but even looking at Chinese forums (no, I can't speak chinese), they don't seem to be any more advanced than we are.

vosathanh

Dec 27, 2007
As I couldn't find a MiniSD (less than 2Gbytes, impossible where I live) I worked on re-flashing my Comet back to the German ROM using USB.

1. Downloaded the Comet ROM + Extended Rom files that Scorpio had placed in rapidshare

Pls help, where you can have that comet ROM and Extended Rom.

Thank you.

kosomkeda

May 14, 2008

2. Executed the DSUU for Atom Life (WWE 20070914) and cut the 12 header bytes from both "FLASH.dio" and "ExRom.img" and pasted those 12 bytes in the German Comet AL1.dio and ExRom.img, and renamed AL1.dio to FLASH.dio

3. Placed the patched German files in the DSUU temp directory, replacing the original WWE files (c:\windows\temp)

4. Instructed DSUU to proceed as normal

5. The deviced cold-booted after finishing and worked.

So, flashing vía USB can be achieved by means of re-using the 12 bytes of both headers (it might be needed depending on the original ROM, to either edit Pass.32 or to hold down the "arrow key" of the PC at the initial stages of DSUU to skip the CID check).

Of course, this has not cured my "Radio ROM" problem, as my XDA Comet still has the WWE Atom Life Radio Rom, which does not work on Comet devices.

I will now work in finding a way (shall it exist) to dump the Radio Rom (I have already got itsutils and executed pdocread a couple of times).

Best regards
hi,
u said that we can flash via usb i have atom life purchased from middle east it have wm5 pre-installed , i entered www.seeo2.com and saw that there is an upgrade to wm6 so i downloaded the file an started the update process when detecting device it says ID ERROR, is threr a solution for this problem , and something else i flashed the wm6 rom via SD i took from temp folder in windows and removed the 12 headers , it flashed nice :), but i want from the usb so that i can flash the radio files , ext rom , boot loader ...etc.

thnx :)

ion_plugged

Aug 26, 2008
hi i need hel.. plese :(

i have a o2 comet and mi radio is gone after rom update mwg... plese scorpio could u help me with the original o2 comet files to restore gsm module, i'll be forever in your dept... i sherched everywhere even on ur blog, rapidshare, google, tryed everi original atom life rom, bu evrithig works with other rosms exept radio gsm, plese help me with the files :(... i try upgrading rom becouse batery life was lousy. plese help...

vladlp

Jan 30, 2006
the same problem:(

i have a o2 comet and mi radio is gone after rom update mwg...
I have exactly the same problem. Even already try to receive update from service centre... answer was: "we need you device to test and... for repair app cost 100eur and more:("
If some one can help us... please help!!!