[Q] Question about Re-Flashing the Note i717 by SAMSUNG

Search This thread

lpvasam

Oct 4, 2014
I bought this new i717 unlocked phone from ebay and sellers promised it is unlocked and it works with T Mobile and other GSM Networks. Got the New phone (has ATT sign on it) tried T Mobile SIM - Didn't work . ATT SIM Worked. Googled about why it does not work - read some forums like these( not blaming) and they mentioned need to root and change the ROM blah blah... so jumped on it thinking i can solve it piece of cake. BUT
I think i might of messed up by changing the unsupported boot now my phone doesn't turn ON.. tried various hard resets, soft resets.... googled but no help.. basically phone is hard bricked. No light, nothing - DEAD Phone..

So i sent the phone to Samsung they said phone bricked and some hardware failed (OMG) charged me 70 bucks since phone was out of warranty ( thanks to seller and myself for not checking before buying) and said they will compete reflash the phone and update the software

SO Lesson Learned in proper way :)

Guys Please be careful when you mess with ROM..

So my question is if they do reflash the phone - will it be still unlocked? ( i don't think the seller (to start with) have unlocked via att might have used some rooting methods). and can i be able to use it to ATT

if someone now what do reflashing the phone does ? and another thing i didn't get how do updating a ROM created a hardware issue. i was not able to argue with samsung guys... but if you guys know anything please shed some light

Thank you

PS: im new to XDA Dev forums

Last edited:

dzee206

Oct 5, 2011
Seattle
I bought this new i717 unlocked phone from ebay and sellers promised it is unlocked and it works with T Mobile and other GSM Networks. Got the New phone (has ATT sign on it) tried T Mobile SIM - Didn't work . ATT SIM Worked. Googled about why it does not work - read some forums like these( not blaming) and they mentioned need to root and change the ROM blah blah... so jumped on it thinking i can solve it piece of cake. BUT
I think i might of messed up by changing the unsupported boot now my phone doesn't turn ON.. tried various hard resets, soft resets.... googled but no help.. basically phone is hard bricked. No light, nothing - DEAD Phone..

So i sent the phone to Samsung they said phone bricked and some hardware failed (OMG) charged me 70 bucks since phone was out of warranty ( thanks to seller and myself for not checking before buying) and said they will compete reflash the phone and update the software

SO Lesson Learned in proper way :)

Guys Please be careful when you mess with ROM..

So my question is if they do reflash the phone - will it be still unlocked? ( i don't think the seller (to start with) have unlocked via att might have used some rooting methods). and can i be able to use it to ATT

if someone now what do reflashing the phone does ? and another thing i didn't get how do updating a ROM created a hardware issue. i was not able to argue with samsung guys... but if you guys know anything please shed some light

Thank you

PS: im new to XDA Dev forums

Good chance it wont be carrier unlocked after they're through with it. No big deal really as you can go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124544 and unlock the device yourself. Trust me it works, mines is unlocked and using a T-mobile sim and never had an issue. As for the hardware issue are you sure you flashed the right rom for the device?

lpvasam

Oct 4, 2014
Good chance it wont be carrier unlocked after they're through with it. No big deal really as you can go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2124544 and unlock the device yourself. Trust me it works, mines is unlocked and using a T-mobile sim and never had an issue. As for the hardware issue are you sure you flashed the right rom for the device?

i hav att unlock code given by att ( got it this morning). once i have the phone returned from samsung i will try to unlock with att if not i will follow the unlock form you sent. thank you. i believe i flashed some kitkat supported ROM.

captemo

Jan 13, 2012
Kentucky
i believe i flashed some kitkat supported ROM.

Your gonna need to do better than that buddy, or your going to be sending your phone in A LOT.
Kit Kat based is not the answer. He is looking for, "did you flash the rom for your specific device?"
You need to be sure you are flashing device specific files. If you have i717, those are the files you need. Not trying to beat you up, it is pretty important you know this stuff though.
Hope it works out for ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i believe i flashed some kitkat supported ROM.

Your gonna need to do better than that buddy, or your going to be sending your phone in A LOT.
    Kit Kat based is not the answer. He is looking for, "did you flash the rom for your specific device?"
    You need to be sure you are flashing device specific files. If you have i717, those are the files you need. Not trying to beat you up, it is pretty important you know this stuff though.
    Hope it works out for ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using XDA Free mobile app