Diamon2 T5388++ NEW GPS reception fix

Search This thread

lamoun

May 25, 2010
EDIT: DISREGARD THIS. GO TO POST #3 and #4

Hello guys,

this is my first post so if I'm posting in the wrong section please bear with me.

I recently bought a T5388++ HTC diamond 2 clone. Everything was fine except that I couldn't get a GPS fix. (In the Start -> Settings -> System -> GPS Settings [Satellite State] I only had *red* satellites)

I used the "aluminum foil in the back side" fix, which worked well and I could get a fix.

Being an uneasy person I open the back cover of the cell phone to take a look (beware the headphone cables).

Now here is the good part.

On the left side (near the sd card and where the stylus ends) is probably the GPS antenna.
In the inside, on the board's side, there are two metallic "pins" which (when the cover is closed) touch the back of the antenna. What I did was to add some foil on the back side of the antenna so the contact with the pins would be more tight.

This worked like a charm and the signal is very good. I can even get a decent fix (3-4 *blue* satellites) from inside the house.

Sorry for the lack of pics, if anyone tries it, post a couple pictures and I can show you what I did exactly.

EDIT: DISREGARD THIS. GO TO POST #3 and #4

Last edited:

lamoun

May 25, 2010
Pics!!!!

Here are some pics.

First unscrew the four screws, one at each corner of the phone.

Then slice the phone with the help of small flat screwdriver or some other tool. (there are some appropriate notches for that purpose)

**Beware of falling parts**

In the forth and fifth pic you can see where I install the alu foil.

Now you can close the phone and enjoy your newly found GPS! :cool:

[I also tried some solder, but the results where almost the same]

Attachments

• unscfrew.JPG
    unscfrew.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 401
  • open.JPG
    open.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 379
  • Beware.JPG
    Beware.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 397
  • sliced.JPG
    sliced.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 460
  • foil_antenna.JPG
    foil_antenna.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 510
  • solder.JPG
    solder.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 480

cybermaus

Dec 6, 2008
Earth
www.campingtiveden.se
Congrats.

However, I can assure you that is not the GPS antenna. Based on the antenna size and shape (its a small inverted F antenna, see the black sticker that is attached to in on top of the stylus case) I am assuming it is either the Bluetooth or WiFi antenna.

The GPS antenna is a bit higher, it is the small pink 'cube' thingy on top of the phone, connected by the micro coax connector.

I had reported before the micro coax is loose in some devices, and I suspect you 'accidentally' fitted it better while opening and closing the phone.

But congrats on your successful operation anyway, being able to open and close the phone and still have a working one is already good, and often, just doing that and ensuring all connectors are clean and properly fit solves a all sorts of problems.

lamoun

May 25, 2010
Yeap you are right!

I have read you saying this about loose connectors, so when i first opened the phone I refitted the micro coax.

In my defense I tried to see if this was the antenna. I disconnected it and opened the GPS. Seeing many satellites on the screen (red ones) I concluded that this was not the GPS antenna. (I thought maybe WiFi since I've seen this type of connector on my laptop's wifi)

But having read your post now, I tried a new experiment and found out that the "red" satellites appear, due to the A-GPS (with neither "my" GPS and THE GPS antenna).

Damn...
So could someone change the title to "OLD GPS reception fix" :p

Last edited:

magicwolf

Feb 27, 2010
I had the same problem with GPS. I have risked and have changed orientation GPS of the antenna - GPS perfectly works. BUT now the speaker in which I hear the interlocutor doesn't work for me. At other person after the assembly has broken touch the panel. Therefore it is better not to recommend to open phone.

MicAlter

Oct 5, 2007
Gelsenkirchen
I had the same problem with GPS. I have risked and have changed orientation GPS of the antenna - GPS perfectly works. BUT now the speaker in which I hear the interlocutor doesn't work for me. At other person after the assembly has broken touch the panel. Therefore it is better not to recommend to open phone.

You changed the orientation of the antenna. In which way?

When I opened the phone to see if the connector is set right one cable to the speaker was dispatched (very bad soldering). I had to remove the old cable and solder another one because it was not only loose it was broken, too...grrrr...that's very bad.

But I was lucky and did't burned my phone :rolleyes:

So, I also recommend to be VERY careful when opening the phone.

BTW: It is much simplier to open the T5388++ than my ASUS P535.

serak_hd2

Oct 12, 2010
Congrats.

However, I can assure you that is not the GPS antenna. Based on the antenna size and shape (its a small inverted F antenna, see the black sticker that is attached to in on top of the stylus case) I am assuming it is either the Bluetooth or WiFi antenna.

Can you please identify Wifi antenna? Look in attachment:
"C" is GPS antenna.
What is "A" "B" "D" ?
"D" - I see little piece of aluminum foil, but nothing else. Under this foil is place for stylus only and above foil is contact + Vibration Motor.

Attachments

• x2.JPG
    x2.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2008
Santiago
Somewhere I reed a tip not to hold the hand on the bottom of this phone during the phone call in order not to shield located there GSM antenna, so it means B is probably GSM. Are you sure C is BT and not GPS?

serak_hd2

Oct 12, 2010
You're right. "C" is 100% GPS antenna. My mistake. (I've changed it now in original post.)

Last edited:

cybermaus

Dec 6, 2008
Earth
www.campingtiveden.se
Well, my guess is B (at the bottom) is GSM, based on the fact it is larger (lower frequency) and seems to have two (one for the 850/900 MHz and one for 1800/1900Mhz), which leaves A and D for Blue and WiFi.

PS: Or GSM has two because it has 2 radio's? I wonder if they would share antenna or not, since it is a dual-sim dual standby, I guess the could share)

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2008
Santiago
serak_hd2 WiFi probl.

If you have opened your phone already you can easily discover which one is wifi and BT. Just put a peace of paper on one contact (blocking connection), reassemble (screws are not necessary) and try connect to BT devise (compare to previous performance(distance)) if it is gone (or big performance difference), you blocked BT if not, it was WiFi. After you know which is Wifi, just try to ensure good mechanical contact from antenna till the board (bending contactors little higher or putting allufoil (aluminum can oxidize quickly, so it is not the best solution)). Try not to touch the board, some of the components can be sensible to static discharges. If you have not opened it yet, try to consider ones more the possibility to change it by your seller for new one.

nicolopez77

Jan 18, 2011
The GPS antenna is a bit higher, it is the small pink 'cube' thingy on top of the phone, connected by the micro coax connector.

I had reported before the micro coax is loose in some devices, and I suspect you 'accidentally' fitted it better while opening and closing the phone.

I also had this problem, the connector was loose, now I have very good signal. No aluminium foil needed. Your post saved me!

My recommendation to other people trying to solve this problem: be VERY careful when you open your phone.