VomerGuides [M8]: Bootldr Unlock, S-OFF, SuperCID, Firmware Upgrade & Custom Recovery

Search This thread

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
VomerGuides [M8]: Bootldr Unlock, S-OFF, SuperCID, Firmware Upgrade & Custom Recovery

Welcome to VomerGuides: [M8 Edition]

Introduction:

Following this guide will allow you to:

- Unlock Bootloader
- Install Custom Recovery
- Root your device
- Achieve S-OFF
- Change your CID to SuperCID (allowing you to bypass regional ROM restrictions)
- Upgrade to the latest firmware (without loosing any data on your SD card)

This guide is based on the UL model of the M8 - you may follow the same steps for other editions but will need to find your respective firmware elsewhere.

Donations:

I do not believe that I should be charging for information sharing. However, having the physical hardware helps me improve this content and support you better as I do require hardware to test/work on for all my content and it's not always possible for me to find someone to borrow devices from.

If you would like to support my work donate to me via:

Thank you :)

Disclaimer & Copyrights:

I test everything before I share these guides - thus I know they work as intended. However, please proceed at your own risk as I do not take any liability for your devices.

Please do not copy contents of this guide without explicit permission from me. I like to maintain a set standard and quality of the information I share.

Please refrain from posting mirrors as I like to track downloads - I primarily use AndroidFileHost and they mirror files on multiple servers automatically.

READING & FOLLOWING EACH STEP IS KEY TO SUCCESS.

Let's get started!

SECTION 0: SYSTEM PREP:

Let's setup ADB and fastboot

Windows:

- Automated: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979 (follow the steps in the software)

- Manual Method:

Download this file and extract the folder called "adb" to your C: drive. Your path should look like this:

Code:
C:\adb\

You will need to open a command prompt window using this method:

Code:
- Go to the C:\adb\ folder 
- hold down SHIFT key and RIGHT-CLICK 
- select "Open command window here".

Mac & Linux:

Install ADB & fastboot using: this file

1. Extract the downloaded zip to your desktop
2. Open Terminal and type in:

Code:
su
cd Desktop/Android/ (note: Android is the directory extracted from zip file)

3. Now type

Code:
./ADB-Install-Mac.sh

Note: By using the method above, your adb and fastboot files are stored at this location on your Mac: /usr/bin/

Let's setup HTC Drivers:

Install HTC Sync Manager to get the HTC One M8 drivers installed, which you will need for this process

SECTION 1: UNLOCK BOOTLOADER, CUSTOM RECOVERY & ROOT

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK:

Make sure you check off all of the following before moving on to the first step.

- Make sure your phone is at least 60% charged.
- Register for an account at HTCdev.
- Enable USB debugging in your phone's Developer options.
- Un-check "Fast boot" on your phone by going to Settings -> Battery Manager.
- Install ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Make sure to back up all of your app data using either ADB or HTC Sync, because you will be wiping your phone.
- Install the HTC One M8 drivers on your computer (if you have HTC Sync installed, then you already have them).

Enter Fastboot (bootloader) Mode

Place your device into fastboot mode by plugging in your HTC One to your computer,
then powering it down by holding both the Power and Volume Down buttons until you see the screen below.

SOvgbSZ.jpg

Locate Your Identifier Token

Once the screen above appears, open up a terminal (command prompt) on your computer. To get the right Unlock Code for your HTC One, you first need to get your device's specific Identifier Token, so type the following into your terminal window, followed by the Enter key.

Code:
fastboot oem get_identifier_token

Copy the Token

Now copy the code you get, but do not include the first (bootloader) portions.

ldrBUyw.jpg

HTCdev

Go to HTCdev and log in to your account.

- Select Unlock Bootloader and then Get Started.
- From the drop-down menu, select HTC One (M8), then click on Begin Unlock Bootloader.
- Agree to the terms and conditions and click Proceed to Unlock.
- On the next page, scroll all the way down and click on Proceed to Step 5.
- Paste the identifier token you copied earlier into its corresponding box near the bottom (called My Device Identifier Token) and click Submit.
- The Unlock Code will be emailed to you, so once you receive the email, download the attachment and place it on your Desktop.

- Initiate the Unlock Code - in the terminal/command prompt, type the following:

Code:
fastboot flash unlocktoken Desktop/Unlock_code.bin

Note: Change [I]Desktop/Unlock_code.bin[/I] to the location of your code.

- Your phone will now prompt you to unlock your bootloader, using the Volume Up button, select Yes and confirm your unlock with the Power button.
- Your phone will reboot and your bootloader will be unlocked!
- After the reboot, you will need to set up your device again as if it were new.
- After getting set up, make sure to re-enable USB debugging and plug it back into your computer.

CUSTOM RECOVERY

Get latest TWRP: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m8

With your phone plugged into your PC, type in:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Once in bootloader mode, type:

Code:
Mac/Linux: fastboot flash recovery /Users/vomer/Desktop/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.img
Windows: fastboot flash recovery C:\adb\openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.img

Then:
Code:
fastboot reboot

You are now the the latest version of TWRP.

ROOT

- Download SuperSU to your device
- Reboot into recovery mode:
Code:
via fastboot: With your phone plugged in, type in: adb reboot recovery
or
manually: Switch off the device first and then press the Volume Down + Power buttons - once on the bootloader screen use the volume keys to scroll to "Recovery Mode" and press the power button to make the selection

- In recovery, tap on Install and then select the SuperSU zip file.
- When done, select the Reboot system option to boot the device into Android OS.

You can confirm this by using apps like Root checker on the Play Store

SECTION 2: S-OFF & SUPER CID

There are a few basics you need to get out of the way before you can start this process:

- Uninstall HTC Sync.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone
- Turn off all security settings from Settings -> Security.
- Disable Fast boot mode from Settings -> Power/Battery Manager.

Now for the good part!

- Download firewater (note: firewater no longer works. You may try sunshine - but the results are spotty)
- Save the downloaded file to your ADB folder (C:/adb/ or the Desktop if you are on Mac/Linux)
- Plug in your device to your computer.
- Hold Shift and right-click on any empty space in the adb folder and click on Open command prompt window here
- Enter the following in the command prompt window:

Code:
adb reboot
Code:
adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
Code:
adb shell
Code:
su
Code:
chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
Code:
/data/local/tmp/firewater

- Type in Yes when prompted and hit enter.

- When it is done and says you have S-Off, type the following:

Code:
exit
Code:
exit
Code:
adb reboot bootloader

- The phone should now be S-OFF
- Stay at this bootloader screen - let's get you SuperCID:

- Copy/Paste the command below or make sure there a eight 1's:

Code:
fastboot oem writecid 11111111

- Reboot phone into bootloader mode (by typing: adb reboot bootloader) and verify CID#. It should look similar to this:

mRSyhTnl.jpg

SECTION 3: FIRMWARE UPGRADE

Latest firmware's can be found in the post below.

Download the firmware zip file you would like to flash & rename it to firmware.zip

Plug in phone to PC and type this in terminal/command prompt:

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Start by checking current system details. Type:

Code:
fastboot getvar all

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000 [COLOR="red"]< This is your bootloader version[/COLOR]
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G [COLOR="red"]< This is your radio version[/COLOR]
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.54.401.5 < This is your firmware version
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111 [COLOR="Red"]< This is your CID[/COLOR]

Now type:

Code:
fastboot reboot-bootloader

After that, type:

Code:
fastboot oem rebootRUU 

Note: if this command freezes,  just disconnect the USB cable and hold the power and volume down buttons until the device reboots. 
Then, repeat the steps above again.

Next, type:

Code:
fastboot flash zip /Users/vomer/Desktop/firmware.zip

Windows users: your command will look something like this: fastboot flash zip C:\adb\firmware.zip

Next, repeat the step above a second time.

Last Step:

Code:
fastboot reboot

Then I went back to the bootloader mode (after the phone reboots successfully):

Code:
adb reboot bootloader

Checked if the update worked:

Code:
fastboot getvar all

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G [COLOR="red"]< Looks New![/COLOR]
(bootloader) version-main: 1.54.401.10 [COLOR="red"]< Looks New![/COLOR]

CONCLUSION:

Please note my comments on donations/help at the beginning of this guide - it help's me keep the quality up to par for all of us.

Please feel free to provide any feedback!

Thanks for using VomerGuides :)

Last edited:

Sojourner353

Apr 8, 2007
Sydney
I am assisting vomer with the Custom Firmware creation and uploads as he does not have an M8 for testing purposes.

All my files have been tested on my device prior to uploading however please proceed at your own risk as I do not take any liability for your devices, also confirm md5's match prior to flashing, enjoy!

As with vomer if you would like to support my work please use the Donation Button in my Signature, thank you.

Firmware Downloads (Device & SD card will not be wiped using these files):

4.x.x Base Without Red Text

- 1.54.401.5 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 1.54.401.10 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 2.12.401.3 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 2.22.401.4 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 2.22.401.5 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 3.28.1540.5 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 3.28.401.6 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 3.28.401.7 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 3.28.401.9 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

5.x.x Base Without Red Text

- 4.16.1540.8 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 4.16.401.9 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

- 4.16.401.10 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

4.x.x Base With Red Text

5.x.x Base With Red Text

Last edited:

DLG187

Dec 19, 2013
Toronto
I've already gone through to S-off on my own, but your guide will be what I share with people who ask how.

Nice work!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

iweksler

Apr 29, 2006
"Latest firmware's can be found in the post below.

Download the firmware zip file you would like to flash & rename it to firmware.zip..."

Where is the latest firmware? I have htc one m8 verizon (bl unlocked, rooted, s-off, supercid).

Last edited:

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
"Latest firmware's can be found in the post below.

Download the firmware zip file you would like to flash & rename it to firmware.zip..."

Where is the latest firmware? I have htc one m8 verizon (bl unlocked, rooted, s-off, supercid).

It will be posted soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

StuMcBill

Feb 13, 2010
Fantastic guide!

One recommendation though, when you are running adb and fastboot on Mac or Linux, it should be ./adb and ./fastboot.

Cheers
Stewart

nuts77

Dec 15, 2011
Great guide. I already went through unlock & S-off but I used your guide for M7 last year, I think a lot of M8 users will be glad to find this thread :)

vickysud

Aug 13, 2008
Hyderabad
My M8 is a Developer Edition ( 1.54.1540.9 ).
HBOOT - 3.16.0.0000
cid: BS_US001

I'm getting this error when i try to S-OFF

"whelp this sucks, firewater can not work on your device no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix.DO NOT COME TOIRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!! if we were able tpo fix this issue, it will be announced bye bye... sorry it didnt work out."

Last edited:

Sojourner353

Apr 8, 2007
Sydney
My M8 is a Developer Edition ( 1.54.1540.9 ).
HBOOT - 3.16.0.0000
cid: BS_US001

I'm getting this error when i try to S-OFF

"whelp this sucks, firewater can not work on your device no amount of reflashing, retrying, or ruuing will fix.DO NOT COME TOIRC ASKING FOR UPDATES OR ETAS!!! if we were able tpo fix this issue, it will be announced bye bye... sorry it didnt work out."
Use SunShine to gain S-Off on your device, see here for instructions and downloads.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Reactions: max.android

blacksb5

Jun 30, 2014
Sorry if my question would sound quite awkward to many people, but I am VERY new to rooting and all these.

I got a Verizon HTC m8, and I do not live in the U.S., so since I have to be on the Verizon network to get updates for my phone, for me that's not a choice. Which brings me here, right here! To root my device to be able to update it. But I have a couple of questions, and I like them to be answered. And since I am too new with this, any forum I read, I kind of got confused with all of it. SO, i would just like to get simple answers please.

1: Will this process help me update my phone and using the stock HTC RUU? Without losing HTC sense and all of that?
2: Will I be able to uninstall the annoying apps from Verizon?
3: Will this anyhow affect my phone to perform worse?

I don't care about warranty though, I am not in the U.S anyway. And won't be going there for a long time I guess.

Thanks for caring!

Toxicology

Aug 30, 2011
Heidelberg
OnePlus 8 Pro
Hey @vomer, nice to have you here in M8 threads. Perfect guide like it was already with m7. Can we expect also your list of customized fws? I always preferred using your fws on my m7!! I know you don't have M8... But maybe you will be able to extend this thread with fws checked by yourself! Thx again for the great guide!!!

Sent from my M8

vomer

Nov 21, 2008
Hey @vomer, nice to have you here in M8 threads. Perfect guide like it was already with m7. Can we expect also your list of customized fws? I always preferred using your fws on my m7!! I know you don't have M8... But maybe you will be able to extend this thread with fws checked by yourself! Thx again for the great guide!!!

Sent from my M8

Yup post 3 will have ones tested by me. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5

Reactions: Toxicology

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Welcome to VomerGuides: [M8 Edition]

Introduction:

Following this guide will allow you to:

- Unlock Bootloader
    - Install Custom Recovery
    - Root your device
    - Achieve S-OFF
    - Change your CID to SuperCID (allowing you to bypass regional ROM restrictions)
    - Upgrade to the latest firmware (without loosing any data on your SD card)

This guide is based on the UL model of the M8 - you may follow the same steps for other editions but will need to find your respective firmware elsewhere.

Donations:

I do not believe that I should be charging for information sharing. However, having the physical hardware helps me improve this content and support you better as I do require hardware to test/work on for all my content and it's not always possible for me to find someone to borrow devices from.

If you would like to support my work donate to me via:

Thank you :)

Disclaimer & Copyrights:

I test everything before I share these guides - thus I know they work as intended. However, please proceed at your own risk as I do not take any liability for your devices.

Please do not copy contents of this guide without explicit permission from me. I like to maintain a set standard and quality of the information I share.

Please refrain from posting mirrors as I like to track downloads - I primarily use AndroidFileHost and they mirror files on multiple servers automatically.

READING & FOLLOWING EACH STEP IS KEY TO SUCCESS.

Let's get started!

SECTION 0: SYSTEM PREP:

Let's setup ADB and fastboot

Windows:

- Automated: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588979 (follow the steps in the software)

- Manual Method:

Download this file and extract the folder called "adb" to your C: drive. Your path should look like this:

Code:
    C:\adb\

You will need to open a command prompt window using this method:

Code:
    - Go to the C:\adb\ folder 
    - hold down SHIFT key and RIGHT-CLICK 
    - select "Open command window here".

Mac & Linux:

Install ADB & fastboot using: this file

1. Extract the downloaded zip to your desktop
    2. Open Terminal and type in:

Code:
    su
    cd Desktop/Android/ (note: Android is the directory extracted from zip file)

3. Now type

Code:
    ./ADB-Install-Mac.sh

Note: By using the method above, your adb and fastboot files are stored at this location on your Mac: /usr/bin/

Let's setup HTC Drivers:

Install HTC Sync Manager to get the HTC One M8 drivers installed, which you will need for this process

SECTION 1: UNLOCK BOOTLOADER, CUSTOM RECOVERY & ROOT

BOOTLOADER UNLOCK:

Make sure you check off all of the following before moving on to the first step.

- Make sure your phone is at least 60% charged.
    - Register for an account at HTCdev.
    - Enable USB debugging in your phone's Developer options.
    - Un-check "Fast boot" on your phone by going to Settings -> Battery Manager.
    - Install ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
    - Make sure to back up all of your app data using either ADB or HTC Sync, because you will be wiping your phone.
    - Install the HTC One M8 drivers on your computer (if you have HTC Sync installed, then you already have them).

Enter Fastboot (bootloader) Mode

Place your device into fastboot mode by plugging in your HTC One to your computer,
    then powering it down by holding both the Power and Volume Down buttons until you see the screen below.

SOvgbSZ.jpg

Locate Your Identifier Token

Once the screen above appears, open up a terminal (command prompt) on your computer. To get the right Unlock Code for your HTC One, you first need to get your device's specific Identifier Token, so type the following into your terminal window, followed by the Enter key.

Code:
    fastboot oem get_identifier_token

Copy the Token

Now copy the code you get, but do not include the first (bootloader) portions.

ldrBUyw.jpg

HTCdev

Go to HTCdev and log in to your account.

- Select Unlock Bootloader and then Get Started.
    - From the drop-down menu, select HTC One (M8), then click on Begin Unlock Bootloader.
    - Agree to the terms and conditions and click Proceed to Unlock.
    - On the next page, scroll all the way down and click on Proceed to Step 5.
    - Paste the identifier token you copied earlier into its corresponding box near the bottom (called My Device Identifier Token) and click Submit.
    - The Unlock Code will be emailed to you, so once you receive the email, download the attachment and place it on your Desktop.

- Initiate the Unlock Code - in the terminal/command prompt, type the following:

Code:
    fastboot flash unlocktoken Desktop/Unlock_code.bin

Note: Change [I]Desktop/Unlock_code.bin[/I] to the location of your code.

- Your phone will now prompt you to unlock your bootloader, using the Volume Up button, select Yes and confirm your unlock with the Power button.
    - Your phone will reboot and your bootloader will be unlocked!
    - After the reboot, you will need to set up your device again as if it were new.
    - After getting set up, make sure to re-enable USB debugging and plug it back into your computer.

CUSTOM RECOVERY

Get latest TWRP: http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m8

With your phone plugged into your PC, type in:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Once in bootloader mode, type:

Code:
    Mac/Linux: fastboot flash recovery /Users/vomer/Desktop/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.img
    Windows: fastboot flash recovery C:\adb\openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.img

Then:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

You are now the the latest version of TWRP.

ROOT

- Download SuperSU to your device
    - Reboot into recovery mode:
    Code:
    via fastboot: With your phone plugged in, type in: adb reboot recovery
    or
    manually: Switch off the device first and then press the Volume Down + Power buttons - once on the bootloader screen use the volume keys to scroll to "Recovery Mode" and press the power button to make the selection

- In recovery, tap on Install and then select the SuperSU zip file.
    - When done, select the Reboot system option to boot the device into Android OS.

You can confirm this by using apps like Root checker on the Play Store

SECTION 2: S-OFF & SUPER CID

There are a few basics you need to get out of the way before you can start this process:

- Uninstall HTC Sync.
    - Enable USB debugging on your phone
    - Turn off all security settings from Settings -> Security.
    - Disable Fast boot mode from Settings -> Power/Battery Manager.

Now for the good part!

- Download firewater (note: firewater no longer works. You may try sunshine - but the results are spotty)
    - Save the downloaded file to your ADB folder (C:/adb/ or the Desktop if you are on Mac/Linux)
    - Plug in your device to your computer.
    - Hold Shift and right-click on any empty space in the adb folder and click on Open command prompt window here
    - Enter the following in the command prompt window:

Code:
    adb reboot
    Code:
    adb wait-for-device push firewater /data/local/tmp
    Code:
    adb shell
    Code:
    su
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/firewater
    Code:
    /data/local/tmp/firewater

- Type in Yes when prompted and hit enter.

- When it is done and says you have S-Off, type the following:

Code:
    exit
    Code:
    exit
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

- The phone should now be S-OFF
    - Stay at this bootloader screen - let's get you SuperCID:

- Copy/Paste the command below or make sure there a eight 1's:

Code:
    fastboot oem writecid 11111111

- Reboot phone into bootloader mode (by typing: adb reboot bootloader) and verify CID#. It should look similar to this:

mRSyhTnl.jpg

SECTION 3: FIRMWARE UPGRADE

Latest firmware's can be found in the post below.

Download the firmware zip file you would like to flash & rename it to firmware.zip

Plug in phone to PC and type this in terminal/command prompt:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Start by checking current system details. Type:

Code:
    fastboot getvar all

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000 [COLOR="red"]< This is your bootloader version[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.2133156.UA13G [COLOR="red"]< This is your radio version[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) version-cpld: None
    (bootloader) version-microp: None
    (bootloader) version-main: 1.54.401.5 < This is your firmware version
    (bootloader) cidnum: 11111111 [COLOR="Red"]< This is your CID[/COLOR]

Now type:

Code:
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

After that, type:

Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU 

Note: if this command freezes,  just disconnect the USB cable and hold the power and volume down buttons until the device reboots. 
    Then, repeat the steps above again.

Next, type:

Code:
    fastboot flash zip /Users/vomer/Desktop/firmware.zip

Windows users: your command will look something like this: fastboot flash zip C:\adb\firmware.zip

Next, repeat the step above a second time.

Last Step:

Code:
    fastboot reboot

Then I went back to the bootloader mode (after the phone reboots successfully):

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

Checked if the update worked:

Code:
    fastboot getvar all

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G [COLOR="red"]< Looks New![/COLOR]
    (bootloader) version-main: 1.54.401.10 [COLOR="red"]< Looks New![/COLOR]

CONCLUSION:

Please note my comments on donations/help at the beginning of this guide - it help's me keep the quality up to par for all of us.

Please feel free to provide any feedback!

Thanks for using VomerGuides :)
    I am assisting vomer with the Custom Firmware creation and uploads as he does not have an M8 for testing purposes.

All my files have been tested on my device prior to uploading however please proceed at your own risk as I do not take any liability for your devices, also confirm md5's match prior to flashing, enjoy!

As with vomer if you would like to support my work please use the Donation Button in my Signature, thank you.

Firmware Downloads (Device & SD card will not be wiped using these files):

4.x.x Base Without Red Text

- 3.28.401.7 (Rename to firmware.zip after downloading)

5.x.x Base Without Red Text

4.x.x Base With Red Text

5.x.x Base With Red Text

reserved if needed
    Sure will, thanks for the heads up, will upload it later today once I'm home from work.

Edit: Post #3 now contains the new 4.16.401.10 for those interested, also starting with base 5.x.x I will now be packing the firmwares so all of you only need to flash the latest even if you have missed a few previous ones, the latest version will always contain all the latest firmware files to maintain a full set, thanks.

Sent from my HTC One M8x using Tapatalk.
    Hi all, I have just uploaded the new 2.22.401.4 firmware files in Post #3, enjoy.