Stolen N7 2013. Sad day...

Search This thread

AjunNg

Sep 24, 2012
So today, I got home. Poof. N7 2013 gone.
Everything else was there! My more valuable PC was still sitting there on the desk!
Kitchen door wide open. No signs of a break in. I do have the bad habit of leaving it unlocked...
Anyway, after checking everything else... surprisingly only the N7 was missing... Only and only the N7 gone.
Quite the subtle thief...

I live with a couple other housemates, and after asking if they had borrowed it, I realised we had an outsider. I doubt it was them any of my housemates, we are good friends from childhood.

Anyway, what am I able to do in order to track it?
In my haste, I did log onto Android Device Manager through Chrome, and pressed the remote Wipe button. I did not want the thief to have access to all my apps, including bank details and other payment apps like PayPal. Other apps like games, I couldn't care less.
I changed all my passwords which I could possibly think of which had apps installed in my N7.

Then it sort of dawned on me... If I remote wiped it... Did I just give the thief a free pass to a new device? Did I just save him the bother of factory resetting the device?
Which meant, I am no longer able to even track it?

Sounds like a genius idea, whoever designed that function... Why would anyone in their right mind decide to remote wipe a device had it not been stolen... Unless you're sitting on the toilet, and did not want the bother of physically tapping the screen...

So... I guess I did the thief a favour...

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Because I would still like to track this mofo, and pass it to the police.

Jhall8

Sep 4, 2012
Did you also use the lock function in Android Device Manager? I'm sorry that your tablet was stolen. Have you opened ADM after you wiped the device to check whether it can see your tablet?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

AjunNg

Sep 24, 2012
Did you also use the lock function in Android Device Manager? I'm sorry that your tablet was stolen. Have you opened ADM after you wiped the device to check whether it can see your tablet?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
Yeah I opened ADM and there has been no contact with it since I discovered the loss. I pushed the lock key before I chose wipe.

swisstourist

Aug 10, 2012
Maybe you should pass the message around you that your tablet has been stolen and you want the head of the guy.
Offer 50 bucks to the one who will give some info. This is what the USA did while looking for Osama.

You Know these guys can not keep their mouth shut.
Seem a teen who entered in your house. Big guys would have taken all... Not just a small tablet.