FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,178 Vote(s)
59.17%
Yes, kind of.

471 Vote(s)
23.66%
No, needs improvement.

342 Vote(s)
17.18%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,544 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,769

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th May 2013, 07:57 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 0

Donate to Me
More
Bricked? twice...
just got back to 4.1.1
want to put in hyperdrive ROM
requires 4.1.2?
can i take the OTA and keep root?
is there another way if it matters.....like i said Twice this week....
6th May 2013, 08:15 AM |#112  
Flag columbia
Thanks Meter: 4,740

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordKT

just got back to 4.1.1
want to put in hyperdrive ROM
requires 4.1.2?
can i take the OTA and keep root?
is there another way if it matters.....like i said Twice this week....

Just flash the Rom bud, you don't have to do any updating, the Rom will update you to the version of android that it runs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flastnoles11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flastnoles11 Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 09:19 AM |#113  

Donate to Me
More
Up and running, can not push all thank buttons, thanks developers here on XDA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app
Bruce Wayne
6th May 2013, 09:22 AM |#114  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordKT

Up and running, can not push all thank buttons, thanks developers here on XDA.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

You're welcome.
Feel free to drop by if you have a question again.

A Hero Can Be Anyone.
6th May 2013, 03:00 PM |#115  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 401

More
Is there any way to develop a Rom without using kitchen...... As kitchen has proven unhelpful..... I am using Samsung Galaxy S advance..

Also is it possible to create a rom using OFFICIAL JB rom provided by Samsung? (it is in md5 format)

A guide would be helpful

Sorry for the noobish question......and thanks in advance
6th May 2013, 03:20 PM |#116  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Maras Dantia
Thanks Meter: 9,187

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlygamz

Is there any way to develop a Rom without using kitchen...... As kitchen has proven unhelpful..... I am using Samsung Galaxy S advance..

Also is it possible to create a rom using OFFICIAL JB rom provided by Samsung? (it is in md5 format)

A guide would be helpful

Sorry for the noobish question......and thanks in advance

Yes it's possible without kitchen. The easiest way to develop a Rom is to look for a stock deodexed version of the official for a base. You'll want an apk tool, I prefer to use team rejectz quick fix. There are a ton of guides on how to create a Rom, a quick search will turn up a few. Just pick the one that's easiest to follow for you:beer:

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul
The Following User Says Thank You to Stryke_the_Orc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stryke_the_Orc Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 03:26 PM |#117  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 401

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryke_the_Orc

Yes it's possible without kitchen. The easiest way to develop a Rom is to look for a stock deodexed version of the official for a base. You'll want an apk tool, I prefer to use team rejectz quick fix. There are a ton of guides on how to create a Rom, a quick search will turn up a few. Just pick the one that's easiest to follow for you:beer:

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

So any stock deodexed rom can be used as a base?

What about when I wanna port a rom? For eg. i wanna port a rom from SGS2 which has the similar resolution as SGSA but different chip.... SGSA has novathor......whereas SGS2 has exynos....

So which OS is good for building a rom without kitchend? is that what they call building from source? Can you provide me a link to the team rejectz quick fix?

LAST QUESTION: What is an AOSP rom and Can a STOCK DEODEXED ROM BE USED AS A BASE ROM WHEN CREATING A ROM AND PORTING A ROM?

Thanx in advance bro.....I know it is a lot of questions.....
6th May 2013, 03:42 PM |#118  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Info 2 HELP... How to delete failed OTA update files??? (Software update problems)...
Hi,

Hope this is the right section and that someone can help. (I have tried searching but no joy!)

I have a Samsung Galaxy ACE (GT-S5830i) which I have rooted but I am still on the stock rom/gingerbread 2.3.6

Today my phone said an update is available, so I connected to WiFi and downloaded the 30.14mb update, the update fails to install and I have now found out from searching that you cannot do a software update OTA once you are rooted, D'oh!!

So I now want to know how do I get rid of the 30mb update that I downloaded from my internal storage?! Can I simply delete it from the appropriate file, if so what is the folder/file called? or is it not as simple that?

If this 30mb update that didn't work cannot be simply deleted using my file manager app, then should I unroot my phone, and then try and update OTA again? and then root my phone once more? Would that work?!

Thanks for your help, this has really annoyed me and in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered to do the software update if I had known rooted phones cant update!!! And its also very frustrating that my internal storage has now got 30mb less space than before because I downloaded this update. I really hope its just a case of finding it and deleting it!

Thanks again,
James
Bruce Wayne
6th May 2013, 03:43 PM |#119  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlygamz

So any stock deodexed rom can be used as a base?

What about when I wanna port a rom? For eg. i wanna port a rom from SGS2 which has the similar resolution as SGSA but different chip.... SGSA has novathor......whereas SGS2 has exynos....

So which OS is good for building a rom without kitchend? is that what they call building from source? Can you provide me a link to the team rejectz quick fix?

LAST QUESTION: What is an AOSP rom and Can a STOCK DEODEXED ROM BE USED AS A BASE ROM WHEN CREATING A ROM AND PORTING A ROM?

Thanx in advance bro.....I know it is a lot of questions.....

AOSP roms or CM roms are to be compiled from sources. When you make a normal rom, you juat theme a deodexed version of stock rom.

To port a rom based on CM/AOSP from other device to yours, you will need to take a precompiled CM/AOSP for your device as a base. You can theme on any os, but to compile you'll have to use either linux or iOS.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
Bruce Wayne
6th May 2013, 03:50 PM |#120  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrjames

Hi,

Hope this is the right section and that someone can help. (I have tried searching but no joy!)

I have a Samsung Galaxy ACE (GT-S5830i) which I have rooted but I am still on the stock rom/gingerbread 2.3.6

Today my phone said an update is available, so I connected to WiFi and downloaded the 30.14mb update, the update fails to install and I have now found out from searching that you cannot do a software update OTA once you are rooted, D'oh!!

So I now want to know how do I get rid of the 30mb update that I downloaded from my internal storage?! Can I simply delete it from the appropriate file, if so what is the folder/file called? or is it not as simple that?

If this 30mb update that didn't work cannot be simply deleted using my file manager app, then should I unroot my phone, and then try and update OTA again? and then root my phone once more? Would that work?!

Thanks for your help, this has really annoyed me and in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered to do the software update if I had known rooted phones cant update!!! And its also very frustrating that my internal storage has now got 30mb less space than before because I downloaded this update. I really hope its just a case of finding it and deleting it!

Thanks again,
James

Hi,
I don't know why the ota update has not worked for you as I never had any problems updating with a rooted phone. It will not work if you have installed a custom recovery. As of now, I don't know where the update is stored and it can be deleted or not, you can flash a stock rom from odin, update the firmware to latest available and then root it again.

6th May 2013, 04:04 PM |#121  
Flag columbia
Thanks Meter: 4,740

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne

Hi,
I don't know why the ota update has not worked for you as I never had any problems updating with a rooted phone. It will not work if you have installed a custom recovery. As of now, I don't know where the update is stored and it can be deleted or not, you can flash a stock rom from odin, update the firmware to latest available and then root it again.

The update is held in /cache, wiping cache in recovery will delete it or you can manually delete it using a root explorer.. to stop the update message until your Rom dev updates your Rom you can modify your build.prop to reflect the new update... so for my phone, we just got am update to md4 from mb1, so I would look for every instance of mb1 in the build.prop and change it to md4... hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to flastnoles11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flastnoles11 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)