Originally Posted by LuSiD7
Ok guys, some questions from me too.
I have already installed WP7 on my phone on a 16gb SD card.
I recently bought a Sandisk 32gb card for the needs of partitioning for a dual boot of WP and Android (and because i needed a faster card).
The question follows:
Will I be able to restore my Windows installation on the 32gb card (meaning apps, photos, sms, settings etc.). I have already backed it up with WPBackup. Or will I probably have to set up my Windows installation as new? And even if it is so, what will happen if I re-insert my 16gb card in the phone? Will it maintain my existing WP installation as it is now or will it lose it all (since it will reformat the other card to use). Maybe Windows won't "like" this? Can you swap two SD cards with the same NAND Windows installation?
Will the two card method keep it all if done correctly
I hope my questions are clear. Thank you in advance for any answers. And keep up the good work. You make our HD2's truly legendary!
This is to narrate my experience while partitioning my card for dual booting (WP 7.8 from NAND & Android from SD/Magldr).
I read many threads and ultimately followed the single card partitioning from here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...57&postcount=1
What happened finally is – I had two partitions in 32 GB class 4 Sandisk card. The first partition “Fat32-Primary” (14+Gb) of slightly less than the second partition of “Other-Logical”(almost 15Gb). There was no free / blank/ unformatted space left in the card. The WP 7.8 booted well and so did Android. But after booting into Android the card was not mounted. So I was not able to download anything in Android and was always refused with dialogues like “No SD card” blah blah blah. So I reverted to two card solution – using a 16 gb for my wp 7.8 and then replacing it with the 32 gb card before Magldr booting to Android. But I got bored and tried to solve the issue by searching here and there. I was helped by this (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...33&postcount=2
) post. Thanked the poster Jerome.Ramos (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=2585223
) & ChitownWingMan (http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=567392
) who linked me to this post. The only real difference lies in point no 24 which says both the partitions should be “Primary” in contrary to me using Windows partition as “Logical”. I was lethargic to try again as resetting WP meant again installing everything in WP from scratch which is a tedious and boring job. So I tried to repartition my 32 GB card used till now for “Android” without resetting WP 7.8 and I was successful. What I did is very simple in “EASEUS Partition manager” and described as under serially.
1. Put my HD2 off from WP 7.8. Took out my WP sd card (16Gb) “as it is” and my Android SD card 32 Gb) and connected both simultaneously in my Laptop.
2. Deleted all partitions in 32 Gb card keeping 16 gb card as it is
3. Copied 200mb partition from 16 Gb card and copied in 32 Gb card.
4. Copied the Windows partition of 14.84 Gb from 16 gb card to 32 gb card. It was copied as “primary-Other”.
5. Both the partitions were side by side leaving a big gap of 15+ gb empty in the end of the card.
6. Clicked “Apply”. System took a long long time to complete the process. Almost 3.5 hours. The final card was a :
200mb “Fat16-Primary” First partition
14.84 Gb “Other-Primary” Second Partition
15 Gb unallocated space left as third sector.
7. Put the 32 gb of step 6 in HD2 and booted WP 7.8 and it successfully booted with all my apps and settings undisturbed.
8. Now the problem was to make another partition of “Fat32 – primary” at the beginning of the card shifting “Other-Primary “ partition to second place.
9. I again put 32 gb card in Laptop and copied second “Other-Primary” partition of 14.84 gb in the unallocated portion and clicked “Apply”
10. It took a long time to (1.50 hour) complete. At this stage there were four sectors in the card.
First partition – 200mb – Fat 16/Primary
Second partition – 14.84gb Other-Primary
Third partition – 14.84 gb Other / primary (Copy of second partition)
Fourth sector – Unallocated remaining partition in the last of 500mb (approx) which could not be utilised.
11. Deleted second partition of 14.84 gb of Other / primary and clicked apply.
12. Fitted to HD2 and successfully booted with everything intact.
13. Took out card. Resized 200 mb first partition to around 14.70 Gb (lesser than WP partition of 14.84 gb). Formatted in Fat 32 and clicked apply. Now the final shape of the card was as under:
First partition of 14.70Gb Fat32-Primary for Androd.
Second unused sector of around 300 mb which I was forced to keep in order to keep Android partition less than WP.
Third partition – 14.84 gb Other / primary (Copy of second partition made in step 10)
Fourth sector – Unallocated remaining partition in the last unutilized of remaing 500mb (approx)
The third and fourth partitions were same as that in step 10 and were untouched.
14. Copied Android ROM files in FAT (First partition) by Win Explorer. Finally put the card in HD2 and WP 7.8 booted with all my goodies. Powered off and again booted to Android through Magldr “Services” menu and Android booted with properly mounted SD cards.
I don’t know if I am able to put my explanations in an easy way. Nevertheless the process is very simple and is a not a problem if started with confidence. There may be similar posts here and there but I just narrated my experience.
Lastly don’t blame me for any losses of your device / cards you might make while trying this and I am no dev and I won’t be able to help you in any complicated problems. I am only an avid fan of XDA and its ever-supporting members and trying to put my experience if it is of help to anybody.
Thanks to all. Happy HD2ing………