[Guide] Revert back to Original Stock Rom With Kies

Search This thread

darcinator2

Feb 26, 2014
Last message

Hi to all. This is a very simple guide to revert back to the Stock rom that came with your phone.
Odin is not needed, also no special skills needed. All you need is a PC with Samsung Kies installed.
Kies is best to be updated to latest version. latest one is 08-01-2013

So, let's start. If you were rooted and the custom binary counter has increased, please use TriangleAway prior to this guide.

1-) Open up Kies with phone disconnected, but keep it powered up cause you will need it for the serial number.

2-)Navigate here (tools) (picture 1) and select the 3d option (software upgarade and preparation). you will get this Enter GT-N7100 press confirm.

3-) enter your phones serial number(picture 3) wich you can find either under the battery or by navigating to yout phone Settings- About device- Status- Serial
Number. Press confirm. after pressing confirm you will be presented with a dialog which lets you know that the device will be wiped. Press Confirm again.
4-) you will now be presented with the version (picture4, it is for my phone. you will have maybe other) that is the latest for your phone and your serial number. press confirm and wait for the first download (picture5). wait till it finishes.

5-)in the next screen (picture 6) read and select Agree. put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down+ home button+ power on. do not release the buttons till the phone is in the screen that tells about warning. press volume up.
connect phone to PC and press down at Start Update button.
this will take a while to download cause the update is about 1GB.
wait till it finishes and phone boot up.
Set up as usual.

Hope it helps.

I can get all the way to the end but the last screen never pops up. kies is greyed out like there is a window up but nothing pops up prompting me to connect my phone or anything. Any suggestions? GS4 SHG-I337

jca1981

Jun 19, 2009
im on a phone without knox. if i update through KIES will i get KNOX installed?

Last edited:

elemary

Jan 10, 2013
UAE
I'm now on android 4.3 ( custom rooted rom ) ... and even after using triangle away .. it gives binary counter 1
do you think after following your steps I will go to stock official rom 4.3 and with counter 0 ??
Thanks in advance

zygzoo

Jan 5, 2012
Bucharest
I m on stock 4.3 With KnoX tripped...
With this kies method can i downgrade to 4.1.2?

no, this will install latest firmware available, wich is android 4.3

yes

Can this method work with custom recovery too? Im rooted, 4.3 ml3, philz recovery and stock rom

can work, but will install 4.3 with knox

I'm now on android 4.3 ( custom rooted rom ) ... and even after using triangle away .. it gives binary counter 1
do you think after following your steps I will go to stock official rom 4.3 and with counter 0 ??
Thanks in advance

no
try use triangle away, after that reboot directly in download mode and flash firmware with odin.

Jan 17, 2013
Noob question

Guys. I've bought my Note2 from a friend. He installed official 4.3 firmware of an other country via Odin, because he was tired of waiting for the update. Now my country received this update. Can i install this update with this method. Will Knox trip if i do?

Or if i install this update via Odin, will Knox trip?

MishXT

Jan 15, 2011
Bradford
Guys. I've bought my Note2 from a friend. He installed official 4.3 firmware of an other country via Odin, because he was tired of waiting for the update. Now my country received this update. Can i install this update with this method. Will Knox trip if i do?

Or if i install this update via Odin, will Knox trip?

If you flash official firmware or shouldn't trip knox

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

ibrunoaraujo

Jul 11, 2012
Hi,

It seems Kies can define the original firmware based on model and serial number.

This means this method could be used to install a firmware from one country in a device of a different country (if kies does not check the real serial when the device is connected).

In other words:

1. Suppose you have a device ABCD with s/n 123456 from country ZZZ
2. You want to upgrade using a firmware from country YYY
3. You get a s/n 98765 from a device ABCD purchased in country YYY
4. You type data ABCD and 98765 in Kies and connect your device (s/n 123456) to get firmware from country YYY

If Kies does not detect s/n mismatch (the s/n typed is not equal to the s/n of the connected device), this method could work.

Anybody have tried this trick ? Any ideas ?

Good luck !!

Hello!

This procedure works yes. Tested and everything went right!

I'm from Brazil, my smartphone came with firmware Africa (s/n Africa), caught a serial Note 2 my friend with firmware Brazil (s/n Brazil) and the procedure performed usually by Kies.

I am now an official rom Brazil in a smartphone Africa.

Sorry for my bad english.

JaYWaLkEr16

Nov 11, 2013
Hello,
Just want to let you know that this worked for me when I unrooted my N7105 before. I used triangle away and followed this step.
Now, I rooted it and would like to unroot it again. I can see that the KNOX WARRANTY somehow has already been void.

Can I still use the same procedure 1. Reset Flash Counter via Triangle Away and 2. Follow this "KIES" procedure? Or will it be different because of the KNOX WARRANTY scenario? Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

scarycrow86

Jul 18, 2014
s/n number

Hi to all. This is a very simple guide to revert back to the Stock rom that came with your phone.
Odin is not needed, also no special skills needed. All you need is a PC with Samsung Kies installed.

So, let's start. If you were rooted and the custom binary counter has increased, please use TriangleAway prior to this guide.

1-) Open up Kies with phone disconnected, but keep it powered up cause you will need it for the serial number.

2-)Navigate here (tools) (picture 1) and select the 3d option (software upgarade and preparation). you will get this Enter GT-N7100 press confirm.

3-) enter your phones serial number(picture 3) wich you can find either under the battery or by navigating to yout phone Settings- About device- Status- Serial
Number. Press confirm. after pressing confirm you will be presented with a dialog which lets you know that the device will be wiped. Press Confirm again.
4-) you will now be presented with the version (picture4, it is for my phone. you will have maybe other) that is the latest for your phone and your serial number. press confirm and wait for the first download (picture5). wait till it finishes.

5-)in the next screen (picture 6) read and select Agree. put your phone in download mode by pressing volume down+ home button+ power on. do not release the buttons till the phone is in the screen that tells about warning. press volume up.
Set up as usual.

Hope it helps.

ok I've been trying to do this for a few hours now I have a sprint s3 4g phone and I've tried the imei number and it says it's not valid i've tried both meid numbers and it says their not valid in the settings under hex it has 0x but behind the battery it does not why is that ? i've tried it both ways I tried spacing the numbers like they are behind the battery i'm getting nowhere can you help me with this ? I see no place that it says s/n number I'm stumped

yudoot

Aug 29, 2014
few am-bees not gee-bees

Yeah it does not solve that problem
It seems no one has the solution

****download kies for your device you need samsung drivers for pc to connect in download mode
Or you download samsung drivers according to your device baseband.
Baseband can be found in settings-about--
And very important if you are on jellybean android4.2.2 then unlock developers mode by clicking 7times in setting-more-about device-build no (beat it7)
First back up the efs folder where ever it is located in system root you will need it afterward to recover if modem is lost.
If you have cwm recovery installed better back whole rom.
2-search your stock firmware according to your baseband version and coutry region from samsung-update.org
It will be few mb file in zip format ie. Stock_rec.zip
3-use triangle away before you revert to stock firmware.
4-open odin
5-every file must be present on desktop
6-extract the stock firmware what you downloaded from samsung-update.org site on desktop
7-it will be something like stock_rec.tar.md5
8-select pda mode check the box click on pda in odin
9-browse the stock_rec.tar.md5 and give it in pda
10-dont forget to check ticks on autoreboot and f.reset
12-switch off phone
13-vol dwn+power+home or whatever is ur comb for download mode.
14-you are on download mode
15-press vol up and hit on start in odin
16-when odin shows pass message
17-unplug.
18-reboot or start.
19-check....settings-device-status-??? Custom is for custom rom what dont allow ota updates.
20-check you can download from google play
21'check you can update your chrome or hangout or roadmaps
22-if you can than ota is enabled you successfully revert back to original stock rom.
23-welcome to stock market.
24-if imei number in device is missing restore efs backup..it will be back in status after restore and a reboot.
25-stock recovery will not loose the root more you will do over the air update system root will malfunction.
26-cwm or any recovery present will be replaced by default stock recovery.

Last edited:

georg3003

Jul 6, 2013
Kies and Knox

Hi,

I am now on 412. And I want to Know if I can use Kies to upgrade to a Special exact ROM I wish? One without Knox ....

Thanks

George

NVM5282

Nov 19, 2013
Where troubles exists

Set up as usual.

Hope it helps.
i have kitkat 4.4.2 if i used this will i be back to 4.1.2? i want to Downgrade to JB 4.3 actully , how can i do it?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Set up as usual.

Hope it helps.
    I m on stock 4.3 With KnoX tripped...
    With this kies method can i downgrade to 4.1.2?

no, this will install latest firmware available, wich is android 4.3

yes

Can this method work with custom recovery too? Im rooted, 4.3 ml3, philz recovery and stock rom

can work, but will install 4.3 with knox

Thanks in advance

no
    try use triangle away, after that reboot directly in download mode and flash firmware with odin.
    note more than 5min once it finish downloading and start flashing, otherwise
    you may got bootloop. In that case
    Reboot to recovery (vol up+home +power)
    and wipe cache and data (factory reset)
    PS:This will erase all your data.
    It will work coming from any rom. Just backup, backup, backup your personal data. It will wipe internal sd.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
    Wow, thanks!
    I hust have a question about this, for example, if i ever want to rollback to carrier stock ROM, i should follow the steps above? If we do this, are we going to enable OTA carrier updates as long as we don't root the phone, right?

Thanks!

you are correct. in both questions:laugh: