I'm on AT&T go phone, can I purchase the one x full retail witouth problems?

Search This thread

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
I know what you think, go phone sucks, not enough data blah blah blah. But AT&T recently upgraded their gophone data plan to 1GB from 500 mb. Honestly 1GB for me is more than enough cause I use wifi at home, wifi at work, I live in the Washington dc area and there's wifi everywhere so I barely even use my data. Do you think I'll be able to buy the one XL ( off contract of course) or will AT&T give me a hard time cause I'm a gophone customer? I'm just worry about the fact that it's LTE.

mosesman86

Jan 14, 2011
You might get some pushback from the rep or manager, but there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it. You will just have to change your APN, as the only one that works with prepaid is "wap.cingular"

Sent from my Lumia 900 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Reactions: barondebxl

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
You might get some pushback from the rep or manager, but there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it. You will just have to change your APN, as the only one that works with prepaid is "wap.cingular"

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll buy it from amazon mobile that way I won't have to deal with the store reps and managers.

kevina90

Jul 14, 2010
maryland
I don't know.... they might auto switch you. I would try to ask customer service

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll buy it from amazon mobile that way I won't have to deal with the store reps and managers.

Typically, Amazon mobile or other 3rd party retailers, will charge more for non-contract phone than AT&T because they can't get any payback from AT&T.

Your biggest problem will be microSIM activation. You may have to buy a microSIM cutter to trim your current go phone SIM yourself. AT&T won't be thrilled to activate One X for a Go phone plan.

There is also a chance that AT&T will stop your data service once it detects that you are using a 4G smartphone (it has the IMEI number on database) on a Go Phone plan. Yes, it happened to others before.

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Typically, Amazon mobile or other 3rd party retailers, will charge more for non-contract phone than AT&T because they can't get any payback from AT&T.

Your biggest problem will be microSIM activation. You may have to buy a microSIM cutter to trim your current go phone SIM yourself. AT&T won't be thrilled to activate One X for a Go phone plan.

There is also a chance that AT&T will stop your data service once it detects that you are using a 4G smartphone (it has the IMEI number on database) on a Go Phone plan. Yes, it happened to others before.

Thanks for the advice. I already have a micro sim cutter so I'm good on that end. I'm using a galaxy nexus on my go phone for about 3 weeks and no problem at all. It isn't 4G though so I don't know.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for the advice. I already have a micro sim cutter so I'm good on that end. I'm using a galaxy nexus on my go phone for about 3 weeks and no problem at all. It isn't 4G though so I don't know.

The difference here is that AT&T has no idea what Galaxy Nexus is because it doesn't have the IMEI number on file because it is not an AT&T branded phone. It does have all IMEI# of AT&T branded phones on file.

john1028

Mar 1, 2011
It's a lot easier to do something like that with T-mobile's monthly 4g pre-paid plans. All you need to do is order a sim online from them. They don't care what you use with their plan.

mosesman86

Jan 14, 2011
Your phone won't get hspa+ or lte on prepaid service. In fact, you won't get any data until you change your apn to wap.cingular, which is a 3G apn. If you need a microsim, just go to the at&t store and tell them you don't have your phone but you want to activate a prepaid plan. Be sure to specify that you need a microsim and they will just put a dummy IMEI consisting of all 1111111.

Reactions: mikeymop

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Your phone won't get hspa+ or lte on prepaid service. In fact, you won't get any data until you change your apn to wap.cingular, which is a 3G apn. If you need a microsim, just go to the at&t store and tell them you don't have your phone but you want to activate a prepaid plan. Be sure to specify that you need a microsim and they will just put a dummy IMEI consisting of all 1111111.

I have hspa+ speeds on my nexus with my go phone plan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dark lord me

Apr 16, 2011
Surrey
If you do not care about LTE why not import an international version and not have to worry? Also you might be able to buy one from Rogers in Canada it is the same device but AT&T shouldn't have the IMEI number

randomnameftw

Feb 2, 2012
If you do not care about LTE why not import an international version and not have to worry? Also you might be able to buy one from Rogers in Canada it is the same device but AT&T shouldn't have the IMEI number

I've actually thought about buying one from rogers. Like the fact it doesn't have a
carrier logo, but I don't know of any shops that sells them to ship in the states.

david_ag

Feb 10, 2009
Miami, FL
Correct me if I'm wrong, but unlocking bootloader on newer HTC phones is done via HTC Dev, and that voids your warranty automatically ( as in they have your IMEI and know you rooted with them)?

If so, then don't worry about having warranty for bricking the device, you lost it when bootlader was unlocked.

foxbat121

Apr 27, 2006
If so, then don't worry about having warranty for bricking the device, you lost it when bootlader was unlocked.

When your phone is bricked, e.g. can't boot up, there is no way AT&T can tell which version or unlocked boot loader you are using. At least not for the clerks at warranty center. If your bootloader is still functioning. Chances are you can still manage to load another ROM on to it.

Besides, there could be other hardware defacts that you may need to exchange. A warranty is always welcome.

Last edited:

barondebxl

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA

Because I rather have the snapdragon S4 processor than the tegra 3. Also the international versions as a crapload of issues right now.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I am talking about at&t one x.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

Thanks. How are the data speeds? I heard they piggyback off of AT&T.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

I get about 5,000kbps on hspa+ but that's once in a while. Real everyday is about 3,000kbps hspa+

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app