[Q] Possible Low Memory Problems?

Search This thread

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
So I'm currently running a clean EC07 ROM, downloaded from the dev section of our forum. I originally was using Miunia and loved it, up until the FCing became just ridiculous and my home screen would act weird. So, about 2 weeks ago, I flashed the clean EC07 in the hopes of solving these issues.

A few FCs still occur, but not as often as when I had Miunia, so I'm willing to overlook that. My main concern now is the home screen issue. Basically, whenever I back out of an app that I've been using for a while (like 5 minutes or longer), my home screen will appear completely blank, and I have to wait almost 5 seconds for everything to reappear on my home screens. I only have 3 home screens, and mostly app shortcuts, along with a weather widget, flashlight, and screen filter.

I understand that this probably looks foolish, considering how short the wait time appears to be. But I don't understand why my phone does it. My phone started doing this after Miunia; I have no idea if the cause stems from that or some other issue. Either way, I was hoping someone could help me figure out why and how to solve it.

I thought it might have something to do with RAM, since our phone only has like 338 MB. My phone usually sits with about 80-90 MB of free RAM on average. Not sure if this is normal, but that's how it is consistently. If you guys need more info to help me out, please ask! I'll give you any info you need.

Thanks!

samuelhadams

Dec 14, 2010
So I'm currently running a clean EC07 ROM, downloaded from the dev section of our forum. I originally was using Miunia and loved it, up until the FCing became just ridiculous and my home screen would act weird. So, about 2 weeks ago, I flashed the clean EC07 in the hopes of solving these issues.

A few FCs still occur, but not as often as when I had Miunia, so I'm willing to overlook that. My main concern now is the home screen issue. Basically, whenever I back out of an app that I've been using for a while (like 5 minutes or longer), my home screen will appear completely blank, and I have to wait almost 5 seconds for everything to reappear on my home screens. I only have 3 home screens, and mostly app shortcuts, along with a weather widget, flashlight, and screen filter.

I understand that this probably looks foolish, considering how short the wait time appears to be. But I don't understand why my phone does it. My phone started doing this after Miunia; I have no idea if the cause stems from that or some other issue. Either way, I was hoping someone could help me figure out why and how to solve it.

I thought it might have something to do with RAM, since our phone only has like 338 MB. My phone usually sits with about 80-90 MB of free RAM on average. Not sure if this is normal, but that's how it is consistently. If you guys need more info to help me out, please ask! I'll give you any info you need.

Thanks!

Try wiping dalvik cache to help stop the force closes.

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
OK. let me ask you this. Is there any reason you seem to be hellbent on 07, as opposed to moving to 09? I used to have that same issue with anything but go launcher, on 07. I'm on 09, now, running tw and the only time it has to reload (what is happening is it's being cleared out of cache to make room for other apps) is when I play draw something.

My solution to you, would be to back up your apps, any texts you want, and make sure your contacts are synced with google, then revert to dl17 stock, ota the ec09 update, then move to one of the ec09 prerooted roms, be it ciscogees (you'd have to debloat that one yourself) or one of Pat's, which are debloated already, and his debellaire has Trailblazers mods incorporated, already.

Reactions: ciscogee

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Lol. I'm not hellbent on staying on EC07. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of DL17 to EC09 to rooted EC09. Seemed too cumbersome a process. I also don't know the difference between EC07 and EC09 so I didn't see any advantages in going through that process.

Which specific ROM are you currently running? It sounds like you have minimal problems and that's exactly what I want.

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
Lol. I'm not hellbent on staying on EC07. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of DL17 to EC09 to rooted EC09. Seemed too cumbersome a process. I also don't know the difference between EC07 and EC09 so I didn't see any advantages in going through that process.

Which specific ROM are you currently running? It sounds like you have minimal problems and that's exactly what I want.
First, the process sounds a lot more cumbersome than it is. The whole thing (once I had the files) took me about 30 minutes, including the ota. Second, 07 was a good rom, for a leak. But, it was still a leak, with all the bugs associated with it. A lot of those bugs, including your memory issues, were fixed with 09. I'd recommend the ota route. But, if you can't/don't want to go that way, there are options. Abby has a full package, and trailblazer extracted the update files. I'm on my own rom. But it is pretty much identical to ciscogee's rom. They were made with the same method (hence the reason I never posted mine). If you want it, I'll crate a post linking it. If not, go with one of the three I mentioned. And, if you want help doing this, I'll be glad to work with you.

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Okay. You've convinced me. So my first step is to flash stock DL17 from the forum, do the OTA, then flash a prerooted EC09? I don't care about my apps, I can just redownload and install them. Most of that data's in the cloud anyways. Contacts are fine with Verizon's Wireless Assistant. Pictures are on my SD card. But how can I save my texts? Is there a specific app you recommend?

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
Okay. You've convinced me. So my first step is to flash stock DL17 from the forum, do the OTA, then flash a prerooted EC09? I don't care about my apps, I can just redownload and install them. Most of that data's in the cloud anyways. Contacts are fine with Verizon's Wireless Assistant. Pictures are on my SD card. But how can I save my texts? Is there a specific app you recommend?

Sms backup. Search that on market, or play, or whatever the hell they wanna cal it. That is what I use (blue icon). Run it, and you'll be good. If you dont want the hassle of downloading all your apps again, the app manager section of rom toolbox, or titanium backup are both good. Choose "app + data" on the options, and you won't have to reenter account data, or redo preferences.

Reactions: DJMaj07

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I followed the instructions from another thread you recently commented on and went through the whole process. You're right, it was painless and quick. My phone is amazing again. No FCs, no blank screens! Thanks so much man!

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
I followed the instructions from another thread you recently commented on and went through the whole process. You're right, it was painless and quick. My phone is amazing again. No FCs, no blank screens! Thanks so much man!

Outstanding. Did you ota, or flash abbys full package (the rom I posted in that thread is actually abby's)?

DJMaj07

Dec 25, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Outstanding. Did you ota, or flash abbys full package (the rom I posted in that thread is actually abby's)?

I wanted to minimize the odds of having problems, so I went back to stock DL17, let it do the OTA update, used SuperOneClick to root, flashed a deodexed EC09 (section 3, whatever ROM was linked) and finally used Titanium Backup to debloat.

It was a very clear guide. No room for error. Well written!

Reactions: Txwolf1980

Txwolf1980

Aug 13, 2011
Huntsville Tx
I wanted to minimize the odds of having problems, so I went back to stock DL17, let it do the OTA update, used SuperOneClick to root, flashed a deodexed EC09 (section 3, whatever ROM was linked) and finally used Titanium Backup to debloat.

I believe the deodexed I referenced was the one I made. So, it should work good. If you have any problems with it, let me know, and I will personally deal with it, to the best of my ability. Or get the answers that you need.

Reactions: DJMaj07

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK. let me ask you this. Is there any reason you seem to be hellbent on 07, as opposed to moving to 09? I used to have that same issue with anything but go launcher, on 07. I'm on 09, now, running tw and the only time it has to reload (what is happening is it's being cleared out of cache to make room for other apps) is when I play draw something.

My solution to you, would be to back up your apps, any texts you want, and make sure your contacts are synced with google, then revert to dl17 stock, ota the ec09 update, then move to one of the ec09 prerooted roms, be it ciscogees (you'd have to debloat that one yourself) or one of Pat's, which are debloated already, and his debellaire has Trailblazers mods incorporated, already.

Sms backup. Search that on market, or play, or whatever the hell they wanna cal it. That is what I use (blue icon). Run it, and you'll be good. If you dont want the hassle of downloading all your apps again, the app manager section of rom toolbox, or titanium backup are both good. Choose "app + data" on the options, and you won't have to reenter account data, or redo preferences.

I believe the deodexed I referenced was the one I made. So, it should work good. If you have any problems with it, let me know, and I will personally deal with it, to the best of my ability. Or get the answers that you need.