One week with the AT&T HTC One X

Search This thread

therulebookman

Dec 28, 2007
Well, I saw a Rogers user posting his comments after a week of use so I figured I'd post some opinion as well, especially since I disagree with several of his opinions.

First, I've noticed the wi-fi issue as well. As with some other posters my router is not known to be super reliable, so that could have some impact. Also, it seems that some folks are having success switching to G instead of N and that may also help as I believe I am on G at work and I haven't had any issue with wi-fi at work. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update.

I first reported some disappointment with the warm hue of the screen, and either it is growing on me or it is burning in a little bit and the tans, greens, and oranges are starting to look better. The screen as a whole looks fantastic. Several people have remarked how it looks like a sticker on the phone or like the image is sitting on top of the glass. The resolution is fantastic and everything looks crisp vibrant. Reds, blues, and yellows look fine too. White seems pretty white to me. When comparing a white screen on the HOX to an AMOLED screen the HOX looks white and the AMOLED looks blue.

Battery life is about what I was expecting and seems to be on-par with the international version. I've not had any trouble making it from 8AM to 11PM even with pretty heavy usage. It's not as good as my Captivate on AOKP which could make it ~30 hrs under my normal usage which is relatively light. Because the HOX is such a great phone and it's brand new I've been using it a lot more so the most I think I've gotten is 18 or 19 hours which most people would consider fantastic in consideration of the usage.

Camera is by no means average and it absolutely smokes the iPhone 4S. I took some test shots with my wife's iPhone and the HOX just blows it away. The flash is much better, but even in low light without the flash the HOX looks better, has less grain to the photos and generally focuses better and has better color reproduction. The speed of the camera is incredible and using the burst mode to capture a moment is a stroke of genius if you have a dog or a kid that you want to take a pic of them doing something cute.

I've not had any status bar icon issues or in call volume adjustment.

My biggest complaint is not being able to turn off LTE since I'm not in an LTE area. I tried using a different APN and I didn't notice any difference and it didn't improve my battery life at all. I only had the new APN for ~2 days but I felt I may have been getting worse battery life, but certainly wasn't getting better battery life so I just went back to the stock APN.

I guess the Rogers poster was coming from an iPhone and remarked on a slight lag moving between homescreens. This is exagerated to say the least. This phone with sense 4.0 is the fastest UI I've seen on an android phone and the only phone that is more fluid is the iphone and that is due to apple putting realtime priority on UI rendering computations while Android puts industry standard normal priority on rendering. No matter how good the code is, no matter how fast the processor is, it's just never going to look like the iphone because it's never going to have realtime priority. That said, this phone responds instantly to all touches in virtually all parts of the phone. The only times I've seen lag is either app related or network related. It's a great user experience.

Another concern I saw in some other threads that I completely agree with is that the white smudges easily. In addition, the polycarbonate shell may be very durable in that it protects the phone, but it's basically the same material as a LEGO and as such can be dented with a drop as I've unfortunately experienced already. As far as the smudging the phone wipes back to a bright white easily, but probably needs to be cleaned every few days to keep it bright white and not getting dull. The white looks fantastic, best looking white phone out there, but I'd have to reluctantly recommend the grey if you aren't going to use a case in order to hide some dirt and dings more easily.

Overall, this is a fantastic phone. HTC has lived up to the hype and produced THE top android the device out right now. If you want the best in basically every area, you want an HOX right now, and it doesn't look like Samsung is going to beat it and it's going to take quite some time for the S3 to come to the US. If you've got an ATT upgrade in the next 2 months, you'd be crazy not to drop it on the HOX.

Last edited:

mattymon

Oct 6, 2010
Toronto
Hey since your on the AT & T version and you don't have the setting to turn LTE off. Type *#*#4636#*#* go to phone information and you can switch it to GSM/HSPA only. Let me know if that works for you!

Reactions: checkride

blairh

Apr 26, 2012
USA
My two biggest concerns right now are the wi-fi performance (which seems to be real and potentially fixed with a software update) and the battery life. In a few days we should see professional reviews for the AT&T model that will be able to compare the international and LTE editions under equal usage.

I know the white is harder to keep clean but I really prefer the look of it over the grey. Maybe I'd just make the effort to keep it clean.

I also think the camera lens is an issue with respect to scratches. I don't plan on using a case 95% of the time, so I'd have to find a DIY way to cover said lens while not in use. (I was thinking a small piece of electrical tape or something along those lines.)

I'm also going to wait until the WWDC keynote next month to see what Apple has in store for iOS 6.

If the wi-fi issue can get settled, battery life is solid while using LTE, iOS 6 isn't leaps and bounds better than iOS 5, then I'll probably make the jump. Some things to line up first though.

tawheed12

Apr 30, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Camera is by no means average and it absolutely smokes the iPhone 4S. I took some test shots with my wife's iPhone and the HOX just blows it away. The flash is much better, but even in low light without the flash the HOX looks better, has less grain to the photos and generally focuses better and has better color reproduction. The speed of the camera is incredible and using the burst mode to capture a moment is a stroke of genius if you have a dog or a kid that you want to take a pic of them doing something cute.

I did some more testing with the camera and no doubt it is able to create some fairly high quality shots. I just find the camera experience a bit easier overall with the i4s. We have matte grey walls at home and for some reason they always show up weird and distorted, I'll take a pic after work tonight and post it to show you what I mean.. I'll also post a comparison pic off the iPhone camera.

rambo8987

May 12, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
My two biggest concerns right now are the wi-fi performance (which seems to be real and potentially fixed with a software update) and the battery life. In a few days we should see professional reviews for the AT&T model that will be able to compare the international and LTE editions under equal usage.

I know the white is harder to keep clean but I really prefer the look of it over the grey. Maybe I'd just make the effort to keep it clean.

I also think the camera lens is an issue with respect to scratches. I don't plan on using a case 95% of the time, so I'd have to find a DIY way to cover said lens while not in use. (I was thinking a small piece of electrical tape or something along those lines.)

I'm also going to wait until the WWDC keynote next month to see what Apple has in store for iOS 6.

If the wi-fi issue can get settled, battery life is solid while using LTE, iOS 6 isn't leaps and bounds better than iOS 5, then I'll probably make the jump. Some things to line up first though.

I know a lot of user's are concerned about getting the white version dirty, eBay has some clear gel cases for 2$, figured I'd share since a clear case won't hide the beauty of this device

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

blairh

Apr 26, 2012
USA
I know a lot of user's are concerned about getting the white version dirty, eBay has some clear gel cases for 2$, figured I'd share since a clear case won't hide the beauty of this device

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

No clue if I'll end up getting the One X, but if I do, I'm only going to use a case when necessary (working around the house, etc). Love the way that polycarbonate feels in my hand. Camera lens needs to be covered with something though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well, I saw a Rogers user posting his comments after a week of use so I figured I'd post some opinion as well, especially since I disagree with several of his opinions.

First, I've noticed the wi-fi issue as well. As with some other posters my router is not known to be super reliable, so that could have some impact. Also, it seems that some folks are having success switching to G instead of N and that may also help as I believe I am on G at work and I haven't had any issue with wi-fi at work. Hopefully this can be fixed with a software update.

I first reported some disappointment with the warm hue of the screen, and either it is growing on me or it is burning in a little bit and the tans, greens, and oranges are starting to look better. The screen as a whole looks fantastic. Several people have remarked how it looks like a sticker on the phone or like the image is sitting on top of the glass. The resolution is fantastic and everything looks crisp vibrant. Reds, blues, and yellows look fine too. White seems pretty white to me. When comparing a white screen on the HOX to an AMOLED screen the HOX looks white and the AMOLED looks blue.

Battery life is about what I was expecting and seems to be on-par with the international version. I've not had any trouble making it from 8AM to 11PM even with pretty heavy usage. It's not as good as my Captivate on AOKP which could make it ~30 hrs under my normal usage which is relatively light. Because the HOX is such a great phone and it's brand new I've been using it a lot more so the most I think I've gotten is 18 or 19 hours which most people would consider fantastic in consideration of the usage.

My biggest complaint is not being able to turn off LTE since I'm not in an LTE area. I tried using a different APN and I didn't notice any difference and it didn't improve my battery life at all. I only had the new APN for ~2 days but I felt I may have been getting worse battery life, but certainly wasn't getting better battery life so I just went back to the stock APN.

I guess the Rogers poster was coming from an iPhone and remarked on a slight lag moving between homescreens. This is exagerated to say the least. This phone with sense 4.0 is the fastest UI I've seen on an android phone and the only phone that is more fluid is the iphone and that is due to apple putting realtime priority on UI rendering computations while Android puts industry standard normal priority on rendering. No matter how good the code is, no matter how fast the processor is, it's just never going to look like the iphone because it's never going to have realtime priority. That said, this phone responds instantly to all touches in virtually all parts of the phone. The only times I've seen lag is either app related or network related. It's a great user experience.

Another concern I saw in some other threads that I completely agree with is that the white smudges easily. In addition, the polycarbonate shell may be very durable in that it protects the phone, but it's basically the same material as a LEGO and as such can be dented with a drop as I've unfortunately experienced already. As far as the smudging the phone wipes back to a bright white easily, but probably needs to be cleaned every few days to keep it bright white and not getting dull. The white looks fantastic, best looking white phone out there, but I'd have to reluctantly recommend the grey if you aren't going to use a case in order to hide some dirt and dings more easily.

Overall, this is a fantastic phone. HTC has lived up to the hype and produced THE top android the device out right now. If you want the best in basically every area, you want an HOX right now, and it doesn't look like Samsung is going to beat it and it's going to take quite some time for the S3 to come to the US. If you've got an ATT upgrade in the next 2 months, you'd be crazy not to drop it on the HOX.
    Hey since your on the AT & T version and you don't have the setting to turn LTE off. Type *#*#4636#*#* go to phone information and you can switch it to GSM/HSPA only. Let me know if that works for you!