229 posts
Thanks Meter: 252

By wskelly, Senior Member on 1st December 2012, 05:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
31st March 2014, 04:59 AM |#11  
Flag Almaty, Kazakhstan
Thanks Meter: 3

More
failed to figure out how to use it, meaning, how to open my books on mini SD-card, buying books is not an option for me, sorry. Had to remove it.

3rd April 2014, 03:16 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Does this support delivery via @kindle.com or @FREE.kindle.com? Thanks
28th April 2014, 11:27 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Hi,
I had installed kindle from the store directly, and when i came across your modified app, i renamed the installed kindle app to .bak and copied your apk to /system/apps ... i rebooted but kindle app not showing in the app drawer.
All this on my Nook Simple Touch (with Glowlight) ...

did i do anything differently ?

Thanks & Cheers.
28th July 2014, 05:08 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Just found this ... cool stuff!
Works great on my rooted Sony PRS-T1 and my ImcoSys V6L

Thanks for your effort!
29th July 2014, 12:17 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
You need to uninstall the existing Kindle app and install this one. And it doesn't need to be in the system folder. Just tap on the apk file to install from any file manager.
29th July 2014, 12:18 AM |#16  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
@salinok, awesome to know it worked on another platform!
14th September 2014, 02:34 PM |#17  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 79

Donate to Me
More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskelly

I've modded the Kindle app to make it more eInk friendly (especially for Nook Simple Touch (NST)). The changes include:

• White mode background is really white, not light gray. White mode text is really black, not something close to black.
  • Black mode background/text same as above.
  • Sepia mode unchanged.
  • Reading progress bar changed from shaded spheres (barely visible on eInk) to empty and filled squares.
  • Library background now white with black text.
  • Other text(s) changed to black.

I've signed this app and the signature is different from the original app, so you will need to uninstall your existing Kindle app and install this one.

Hi wskelly,

I tried it on the Onyx Boox M96, the 9.7" e-ink ereader. Another user on mobileread forums tried it on the Onyx Boox T68. We both find that when we open a book, the first page is displayed fine, although with some artifacts from the previous page (bookshelf). However, the next page & all subsequent pages after loading, turn totally black. If I click on the middle of the page, click on contrast button & click on 'white' (although already seleted), the page displays fine. but on turning the page the same black page is displayed. Can't just keep on doing this manually for all pages.

There still are a lot of page turn animations. Need a way to disable them, since they just leave artifacts.

There doesn't seem to be a way to open books from local storage.

Is it possible to port the modification to one of the current Kindle for Android builds, for example 4.6.0.114.

Thanks.
16th September 2014, 01:29 AM |#18  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Well, the Nook is like Android Froyo or Gingerbread, at best. I looked for the Boox M96 and it looks like it is running Android 4 which is ICS. There *might* be some sort of incompatibility, kind of doubting it, but maybe. Removing page animations would be a good thing also, I agree with you, I will look into doing that.

And just to note for everyone -- this is just the Android Kindle app but modified so that the background color is white. The eInk display doesn't need to render some sort of gray-ish background when it already is sort of gray, I wanted a true white background. So that essentially is involved finding the suspect color and changing it to 0xFFFFFF. The other change was to make some little ball graphics into squares -- which are higher contrast on eInk.

If you can't open a book from local storage, then this is an issue with the original Amazon app.

For a newer Kindle for Android version, I might be able to make the changes but can't test them, since my Nook is probably not going to support the most recent Kindle app. I will check though...

Does the latest Kindle version work fine on your Boox, without the black screen issue?
16th September 2014, 06:41 AM |#19  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 79

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Well, the Nook is like Android Froyo or Gingerbread, at best. I looked for the Boox M96 and it looks like it is running Android 4 which is ICS. There *might* be some sort of incompatibility, kind of doubting it, but maybe. Removing page animations would be a good thing also, I agree with you, I will look into doing that.

And just to note for everyone -- this is just the Android Kindle app but modified so that the background color is white. The eInk display doesn't need to render some sort of gray-ish background when it already is sort of gray, I wanted a true white background. So that essentially is involved finding the suspect color and changing it to 0xFFFFFF. The other change was to make some little ball graphics into squares -- which are higher contrast on eInk.

If you can't open a book from local storage, then this is an issue with the original Amazon app.

For a newer Kindle for Android version, I might be able to make the changes but can't test them, since my Nook is probably not going to support the most recent Kindle app. I will check though...

Does the latest Kindle version work fine on your Boox, without the black screen issue?

Thanks.

I hereby submit my M96 as a guinea pig for your modified app, when you want it. .

The official Kindle app version 4.6.0.114 works fine, & displays the book pages ok, either downloaded from Amazon, or the ones on local storage.
The issue is that Onyx, due to their 'optimization', do not refresh the screen on my M96 all that often, so due to the page turn animations, it leaves behind those horrible artifacts. I would just like it to include your modifications, so that it displays proper black on white text & forgets to do these unwanted animations.

The main problem we M96 & T68 users are facing with your modded app is the page turning black (even though it has a workaround - settings -> contrast -> white - but needs to be done for each page). Otherwise its is working. Requesting you to modify a new version of the app is just a bonus.
16th September 2014, 12:44 PM |#20  
Flag West Haven
Thanks Meter: 34

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Actually android 2.1 is eclair!
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2
NOOK!E
16th September 2014, 03:00 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverByter

Actually android 2.1 is eclair!
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, 2.1 is Éclair. Don't you ever forget about the diacritical marks!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)