FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[APP] eInk-friendly Amazon Kindle 3.2.0.35

229 posts
Thanks Meter: 252
 
By wskelly, Senior Member on 1st December 2012, 06:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
NOOK!E
16th September 2014, 04:00 PM |#21  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverByter

Actually android 2.1 is eclair!
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, 2.1 is Éclair. Don't you ever forget about the diacritical marks!

 
 
24th September 2014, 05:04 PM |#22  
japinder's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 79
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskelly

Well, the Nook is like Android Froyo or Gingerbread, at best. I looked for the Boox M96 and it looks like it is running Android 4 which is ICS. There *might* be some sort of incompatibility, kind of doubting it, but maybe. Removing page animations would be a good thing also, I agree with you, I will look into doing that.

Hi wskelly,

Could you help to modify a new version of the Kindle app please. I'll readily test it out on my M96.

I've never meddled with apps, but if you could point me in the right direction, I could try out my hand at it as well. Thanks.
25th September 2014, 04:37 PM |#23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 252
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder

Hi wskelly,

Could you help to modify a new version of the Kindle app please. I'll readily test it out on my M96.

I've never meddled with apps, but if you could point me in the right direction, I could try out my hand at it as well. Thanks.

Yes I will do this. I hope to post something this weekend.
25th September 2014, 06:20 PM |#24  
japinder's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 79
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskelly

Yes I will do this. I hope to post something this weekend.

Thank you!
26th September 2014, 04:05 AM |#25  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 252
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by japinder

Thank you!

Try this:
http://goo.gl/gKWjv1

This is Kindle version 4.4.0.71. Anything newer than that, and aapt.exe would crash trying to rebuild it. I don't know why. I tried five or six versions, this is the latest one that worked. Anything OLDER than this will build but anything newer won't.

Note, like the app in the OP, you need to UNINSTALL your version of Kindle and install this one. The two versions can't co-exist. ...And you probably don't want them to.

Changes are the same as the app in the OP, except:
There are no reading "dots" in this version (to tell you how much of a book you've read) so I didn't need to make that change.
The library background was changed to white.

I should probably open a new thread for this, but I don't know where? Any suggestions?

And if you see something that looks like crap on eInk, I can try to change it. Just need a screenshot or photo or something like that.

--Bill

Ignore this stuff (for tracking the changes to the file when someone has the file three years from now):
The MD5 sum of this file is: fc1b250d9ca4148a93a33a9441f1a769
And the git hash on my side is: 4f0d59b97def2b64da09e2e2a43b0e94d05987ca
27th September 2014, 08:29 PM |#26  
japinder's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 79
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskelly

Try this:
http://goo.gl/gKWjv1

This is Kindle version 4.4.0.71. Anything newer than that, and aapt.exe would crash trying to rebuild it. I don't know why. I tried five or six versions, this is the latest one that worked. Anything OLDER than this will build but anything newer won't.

Note, like the app in the OP, you need to UNINSTALL your version of Kindle and install this one. The two versions can't co-exist. ...And you probably don't want them to.

Changes are the same as the app in the OP, except:
There are no reading "dots" in this version (to tell you how much of a book you've read) so I didn't need to make that change.
The library background was changed to white.

I should probably open a new thread for this, but I don't know where? Any suggestions?

And if you see something that looks like crap on eInk, I can try to change it. Just need a screenshot or photo or something like that.

Thanks a ton Bill.

No problem, v4.4 is current enough.

Yup, uninstalled v4.7 latest, cleared data from SD card for it & then installed your version.

I guess you could update the first post & maybe keep both versions.

Feedback for this version:
- The page turning black issue is gone. Perfectly usable now.
- Page turn animations aren't that much intrusive, but they're still present. That, combined with Onyx optimization of not enough refreshes, causes a lot of artifacts. There is a workaround of sorts, to long press Menu/Home key on the Boox for a manual refresh, but its not practical to do it for every page. Is there a way to disable animations altogether?
- Could you darken the intermediate grey color in Menu. The text that is supposed to be greyed out for some Menu items, its barely visible. Is it possible to darken it up a bit please.

Just posted a video at: http://youtu.be/d0DMtqYmp48

Could you take a look & advise.

Thanks again,
Jp
2nd October 2014, 05:23 PM |#27  
Member
Miami
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wskelly

Try this:
http://goo.gl/gKWjv1

This is Kindle version 4.4.0.71. Anything newer than that, and aapt.exe would crash trying to rebuild it. I don't know why. I tried five or six versions, this is the latest one that worked. Anything OLDER than this will build but anything newer won't.

Note, like the app in the OP, you need to UNINSTALL your version of Kindle and install this one. The two versions can't co-exist. ...And you probably don't want them to.

Changes are the same as the app in the OP, except:
There are no reading "dots" in this version (to tell you how much of a book you've read) so I didn't need to make that change.
The library background was changed to white.

I should probably open a new thread for this, but I don't know where? Any suggestions?

And if you see something that looks like crap on eInk, I can try to change it. Just need a screenshot or photo or something like that.

--Bill

Ignore this stuff (for tracking the changes to the file when someone has the file three years from now):
The MD5 sum of this file is: fc1b250d9ca4148a93a33a9441f1a769
And the git hash on my side is: 4f0d59b97def2b64da09e2e2a43b0e94d05987ca

Thanks for all your work Bill. I've downloaded the 4.4.0.7 package and all I get is 'There is a problem parsing the package' when attempting to install on my nstg. I assume this is a result of the ancient version on android running on the NST 1.2.1 firmware, just an FYI.
NOOK!E
2nd October 2014, 05:39 PM |#28  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchuck

Thanks for all your work Bill. I've downloaded the 4.4.0.7 package and all I get is 'There is a problem parsing the package' when attempting to install on my nstg. I assume this is a result of the ancient version on android running on the NST 1.2.1 firmware, just an FYI.

Yes, that's right - since the Nook Touch devices run Android 2.1, many apps will give the "There is a problem parsing the package" error, solely because they are made to be installed on a newer Android version.

Try the package in the OP, it works great.
31st December 2014, 12:41 PM |#29  
Finrod Paradox's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 93
 
More
Hi, I just rooted my nook. I placed the apk in my nook and when I tried to installed it, it said - NOOK can not read this file.

How to I install apps?

The Amazon appstore does not load, and I tried playstore as well but it showed me it had only 1 or 2 apps at the whole market?
16th February 2016, 05:18 PM |#30  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I can see my library but cannot download books. The download is constantly interrupted. I'm using version 3.0.3.25 Any suggestions?
16th February 2016, 11:09 PM |#31  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 108
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchafner

I can see my library but cannot download books. The download is constantly interrupted. I'm using version 3.0.3.25 Any suggestions?

Your nook is probably so old that it doesn't have new enough ssl certificates for the secure connection. You can try following these instructions, but its a little bit ugly.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=10
The Following User Says Thank You to tshoulihane For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tshoulihane Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes