FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Firmware][SGH-I777][JB][4.1.1] CyanogenMod 10 | DEV THREAD

14,097 posts
Thanks Meter: 25,477

By Entropy512, Senior Recognized Developer on 26th July 2012, 02:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
DEVELOPMENT ONLY. USER DISCUSSION IS IN THE USER THREAD IN SGH-I777 GENERAL
Have you noticed how angry Cid looks after the white burst? Don't make us tell him YOU are the cause of all the problems in his life!
CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.1 (JB), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
#include 
/*
 * Your warranty is now void.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
 * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
 * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 * Submitting bug reports on nightly builds is the leading 
 * cause of male impotence.
 */
CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review. You can also view the Changelog for a full list of changes & features.

Device: https://github.com/teamhacksung/andr...e_samsung_i777
Common: https://github.com/teamhacksung/andr...alaxys2-common
Kernel: https://github.com/teamhacksung/andr...msung_smdk4210
CyanogenMod: http://github.com/CyanogenMod

http://teamhacksung.org/wiki/index.p...0:How_to_build

If you're going to reuse our work, which we're doing for free, be fair and give proper credits.
This is the only payment we're really demanding and we deserve it to be mentioned because of the countless hours we've put into this project.
Open-Source doesn't meant Out-of-Respect!!!

USER DISCUSSION THREAD: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1796733
- Unless it is discussing patches or how to build from source, it almost surely belongs there.

To be clear, posts without detailed instructions on how to reproduce a problem and without attached logs will be ignored.
Always provide android (adb logcat) and kernel logs (adb shell dmesg).
If it's a RIL problem we would need a radio log (adb logcat -b radio), too.
The Following 60 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2012, 02:44 PM |#2  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,477

Donate to Me
More
Now, how were any of the above posts development-related?

Looks like we're gonna have to send Cid on a little hunting trip.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2012, 03:02 PM |#3  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag USA
Thanks Meter: 2,674

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Now, how were any of the above posts development-related?

Looks like we're gonna have to send Cid on a little hunting trip.

They were not.

Reminder to people - this is a development thread. Useless comments like "Sweet!" and "Thanks" are not dev related. From here on out, Red and I will delete ANY non dev related posts, without warning or notice. Entropy has mentioned the general discussion thread - USE IT.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Divine_Madcat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Divine_Madcat Ad-Free
27th July 2012, 02:18 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
I'd like to give building from source a shot in order to learn something. I'm looking at the instructions posted here:

But that specifies the build target as the i9100. Should I be doing that, and then pulling your kernel git, building that, and replacing the i9100 kernel with the i777 binary?

Is this an appropriate question for this thread?
27th July 2012, 04:44 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 885

More
Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjwaste

I'd like to give building from source a shot in order to learn something. I'm looking at the instructions posted here:

But that specifies the build target as the i9100. Should I be doing that, and then pulling your kernel git, building that, and replacing the i9100 kernel with the i777 binary?

Is this an appropriate question for this thread?

Use
Code:
./build.sh i777
and you should be fine.

A general and very hastily made guide if you want to compile CM10 for i777 yourself:

The easy but experimental way will be all good for JB, follow it up to the point where it asks you
Quote:

Do you want us to get android sources for you? (y/n)

Say n. Why? Because it has not been updated to use the jellybean branch. It will only display GB and ICS. We do not want that.

Then do this manually:
Code:
mkdir ~/bin
export PATH=~/bin:$PATH
curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo
chmod a+x ~/bin/repo
After that, go to your working dir (~/android/system as default), initialize the repo and sync.
Code:
repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b jellybean
repo sync
After it's done (it will take a long while), you need to copy the propietary binaries from your device (make sure it has a CM9-10 build installed!).
With the android-sdk and platform-tools installed (we need adb for this to work, refer to Teamhacksung's and CM's wiki), run:
Code:
cd ~/android/system/device/samsung/i777/ 
./proprietary-files.sh
Go back to your working dir (~/android/system/) and then you can start the build with ./build.sh i777
After xy minutes you'll have your own kang of CM10.

Hope it helps getting your build going.
Remember: if you kang don't forget the guys who made it possible in the first place. Give CM team some credit.

Edit: Added on 27 Jul, IFyou have issues building, such as the ones reported below regarding missing repos or such.

Create a file inside .repo of your working dir (~/android/system/.repo/) called local_manifest.xml

Paste the following inside:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="teamhacksung/buildscripts" path="buildscripts" remote="github" revision="jellybean">
    <copyfile dest="build.sh" src="samsung/build.sh" />
  </project>
  <project name="teamhacksung/android_device_samsung_i777" path="device/samsung/i777" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="teamhacksung/android_device_samsung_galaxys2-common" path="device/samsung/galaxys2-common" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="teamhacksung/android_kernel_samsung_smdk4210" path="kernel/samsung/smdk4210" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="TheMuppets/proprietary_vendor_samsung" path="vendor/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="jellybean" />
  <project name="CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_SamsungServiceMode" path="packages/apps/SamsungServiceMode" remote="github" revision="ics" />
</manifest>
This only applies while the SGS2 family device trees have not been added to the CM mainline repo. Once it's there, DO NOT use these. They will be outdated by then.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to drakester09 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drakester09 Ad-Free
27th July 2012, 06:30 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Im on Mac OS X so Ive basically gone through the Cyanogen wikis instructions for setting up the workspace and compiling, and Im just substituting your commands where I need to.
So far all is well but Im still syncing the repo and it says its going to take awhile..

Now on the Team Hacksung wiki instructions, where I initially started, I got as far as downloading and chmoding the build.sh file, but couldnt run the 'prepare' step because it looks like its only for Ubuntu or Arch Linux. Since you didnt make any mention of it, am I safe to assume I can skip this step?
Im guessing the prepare flag just runs the steps that setup and install the repo which I did manually??

Let me tell ya this sure aint as easy as compiling MAME!!
27th July 2012, 06:34 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 885

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavestate

Im on Mac OS X so Ive basically gone through the Cyanogen wikis instructions for setting up the workspace and compiling, and Im just substituting your commands where I need to.
So far all is well but Im still syncing the repo and it says its going to take awhile..

Now on the Team Hacksung wiki instructions, where I initially started, I got as far as downloading and chmoding the build.sh file, but couldnt run the 'prepare' step because it looks like its only for Ubuntu or Arch Linux. Since you didnt make any mention of it, am I safe to assume I can skip this step?
Im guessing the prepare flag just runs the steps that setup and install the repo which I did manually??

You are correct. The prepare just does all the environment setup for Ubuntu/Mint and Arch (running Mint myself, I'm a casual).

Best of luck mate!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drakester09 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drakester09 Ad-Free
27th July 2012, 11:40 AM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavestate

I've had issues compiling AOSP on OSX. Are you on 10.6 or 10.7? If on Lion, make sure and comment out those QEMU targets like the Wiki says. On 10.6, I've had other issues, having more to do with getting a working version of GCC. For some reason I had GCC 4.2 on this machine under 10.6.8 and the latest XCode, so I had to use Ports to install something newer AND THEN MAKE SURE it either had priority in the PATH or the symlink pointing at 4.2 was repurposed to the correct one.

FWIW, this was for CM9 and the Nook Color - not sure how CM10 and the i777 will behave, but to be honest, I've just decided not to hassle with OSX again and I set up a Ubuntu VM.
27th July 2012, 02:11 PM |#9  
Flag Wolcott, CT
Thanks Meter: 43

Donate to Me
More
I'm logged into my Ubuntu machine through citrix from work. Is there a way to get the prop files from windows?
27th July 2012, 02:17 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakester09

... snip!

Thanks for the help. I'll be giving that a shot. No kanging intended, you guys will build a better ROM than I will, so I don't really even intend to modify anything aesthetically. I have a bluetooth issue very specific to the head unit in my car, so I'm hoping to fix that and submit a patch. That and curiosity are about as much as is motivating me right now.

Step 1 is to reproduce it in JB, and beyond that, figure out how to fix it. Off hand, is the bluetooth stack in JB significantly different than ICS, or just a newer version of BlueZ?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool2zero

I'm logged into my Ubuntu machine through citrix from work. Is there a way to get the prop files from windows?

Not easily, but here is the shell script that extracts them:

https://github.com/teamhacksung/andr...etary-files.sh

You can have a look through and do some of the steps manually, but it looks like a pain. Maybe with cygwin? I don't think I'd try it.
27th July 2012, 03:20 PM |#11  
Flag Bogota
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Entropy, I'm from Colombia, I have successfully translated several ROMS to Spanish, I have free time on holiday from college, I want to help translate the Spanish ROM. thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to alejobog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift alejobog Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)