portable charger, solve your battery issues once and for all!

Search This thread

mikeinaus

Oct 8, 2012
i do alot of snowboarding, which typically involves alot of battery being used for my headphones/ internet radio and gps trail maps. there are also alot of situations where i am not able to have access to an outlet when needed. the one s has fairly decent battery life for a smart phone, but lets be honest, smart phone batteries suck. rather then mess with roms and optimizing battery life to squeeze an extra hour or 2 of usage i decided to just grab an external battery. i also dont like having much bulk in my pocket so i wanted something slim that was close to the same dimensions as the one s.

what i bought is the ultra slim touch control 4000mah mobile charger by power rover off of ebay for $39.99. its roughly the same width and thickness as the one s and is about 1.5cm shorter ( 65X115.5X7.5mm). its also constructed of aluminum so it matches the phone well. its got a nice heavy weight and feels solid and not cheap in any way. it has a similar feel and shape of an ipod classic.

the charger uses the same micro usb as the one s for charging, then it uses a standard usb port for the power output. the charger comes with a small usb to micro usb cable roughly 6" or 8" long, and also comes with a few adapters for different charging ports. the great thing about the included cable is that it can be used to charge the charger, then flipped into the outlet port and plugged directly into the one s so you shouldnt need to mess with multiple cables. i wouldnt say the cable is very high quality but should get the job done for a while.

ive now had some time to play with it an get an idea of the performance. the charger will fully charge in about 4 hours, and charges the one s in a similar amount of time as using the usb adapter. after completely draining my phone to the point where it wont power on anymore then plugging in the charger i was able to get 1.56 charges with practically zero use on the phone. in real world terms id bet you could get a full charge and a little more if you had heavy usage while charging. im a little disappointed as i was hoping for 2 full charges but its still completely usable. i dont have any other experience with portable chargers so i cant really compare its claimed output and real world figures. another small problem is the battery status is completely inaccurate. the charger drained to "25%" within 45minutes of charging, however that last 25% was able to finish off that charge, then charge a 2nd time to 56% so should be taken with a grain of salt.

with the phone stacked ontop of the charger its approximately 5/8" thick, and with it stacked using my distronic case its about 3/4". not exactly thin but pretty impressive considering it can extend your use about 1.5 times and your average cell phone was that thick (or larger) not to long ago.

im not sure if im allowed to post ebay links here but it can be found fairly easily.

to sum up
great build quality
solid feel
inaccurate battery display
decent performance
IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMG_20121215_121932.jpg

IMG_20121215_121906.jpg

Last edited:
S

shadowch31

Dude cut your thumb nail! :D

Looks interesting and would like to hear how many chargers it manages. Looking at it some small plastic grips could be glued on to use it like a phone cradle which can be picked up cheap on ebay then modded for purpose. Depending on how it performs I may get myself one of these.

Roundtableprez

Jun 27, 2011
Agreed this is the way to go. I bought a 9900 mAh that has 2 usb outputs. As I also have a smartwatch.(what I really bought it for LOL) anyways glad someone else also decided to try these things out. I love my portable charger :) if people are interested ill do a review of mine ;)

Sent from my HTC One S Special Edition using xda app-developers app

S

shadowch31

Agreed this is the way to go. I bought a 9900 mAh that has 2 usb outputs. As I also have a smartwatch.(what I really bought it for LOL) anyways glad someone else also decided to try these things out. I love my portable charger :) if people are interested ill do a review of mine ;)

Yeah definately will be good to see the comparision of different models.

Roundtableprez

Jun 27, 2011
Ok say no more. I'll take pictures tomorrow before work and then the complete review will be up tomorrow night.

rcdreamer

Oct 6, 2008
These portable battery chargers are great. I had picked on up from frys after killing my battery in a half day taking and streaming pictures for an event I went to. I can't remember off the top of my head who makes it, but I can get almost 3 charges out of it. It also has the second usb port for a tablet.

I can look at the model when I get home if anyone is interested.

jgarcitr

Oct 21, 2013
The mine doesn't work

I haver recently purchased a power bank MKPBST-002. However, when I received it, I plugged it int an outlet for first charge but it apparently did not work. I tried to charge the power bank both in power and laptop but any led switched on. Could you help me to start up my power bank?

Thank you.