FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ANCIENT-TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! NAND Unlock and ADB Update!!

3,573 posts
Thanks Meter: 178
 
By TheBiles, Senior Member on 12th June 2010, 08:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th June 2010, 09:52 PM |#11  
Account currently disabled
Flag Athol
Thanks Meter: 82
 
More
I love how you have your Drives named.....especially the one for Pirated Stuff. I laughed.
 
 
12th June 2010, 09:53 PM |#12  
Account currently disabled
Flag Athol
Thanks Meter: 82
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strung

How do you go from Clockwork recovery back to stock?

You can't permanently flash clockwork yet, it's just temporary until you reboot then the stock recovery goes back. Unless there have been some major developments today.
12th June 2010, 09:58 PM |#13  
TheBiles's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by logosmonkey

You might add in on step 26 that you need to switch back to 'charge only' mode for Rom Manager to work, otherwise you get a 'SD card not mounted' error. (at least I did )

Otherwise, great post!

Oh yes! Good post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strung

How do you go from Clockwork recovery back to stock?

ClockworkMod recovery is actually just that file named update.zip in the root of your memory stick. We can't actually flash a real recovery image yet, so it is tricked into thinking we are flashing an update when we are really going into a recovery image.
12th June 2010, 09:59 PM |#14  
Senior Member
Flag Beltsville
Thanks Meter: 476
 
Donate to Me
More
worked like a charm; installed damagecontrol .v3 rom
12th June 2010, 10:02 PM |#15  
TheBiles's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblazea50

worked like a charm; installed damagecontrol .v3 rom

Happy to hear it! Did you do the unrEVOked bit, by chance? I actually never tested that out personally because I was already rooted when I wrote this.
12th June 2010, 10:22 PM |#16  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Thanks so much for this. I'm new to android and didn't understand any of the terminology people were using. This is good.

I think my only suggestion would be to skip the initial rom manager install to download the recovery. I couldn't get rom manager to actually download the update.zip and it probably would have saved some time to just download the update.zip in the first place and do it manually. It kept saying it was successfully downloaded when it wasn't.
12th June 2010, 10:28 PM |#17  
TheBiles's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik

Thanks so much for this. I'm new to android and didn't understand any of the terminology people were using. This is good.

I think my only suggestion would be to skip the initial rom manager install to download the recovery. I couldn't get rom manager to actually download the update.zip and it probably would have saved some time to just download the update.zip in the first place and do it manually. It kept saying it was successfully downloaded when it wasn't.

Thanks for the input. Please let me know if anyone else is having problems with ROM manager on the debug ROM, and I will switch it around.
12th June 2010, 10:33 PM |#18  
Senior Member
Flag Beltsville
Thanks Meter: 476
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiles

Happy to hear it! Did you do the unrEVOked bit, by chance? I actually never tested that out personally because I was already rooted when I wrote this.

i went from step 1 to 34, followed all of it; the only thing is i installed a different custom rom; had to install the recovery image as an update.zip

also, i don't think you mentioned in your guide to wipe data/factory reset prior to installing custom rom because when i did it the 1st time, got stuck in a boot loop; then i realized i had to wipe and it worked fine;

oh, also, after the boot loop, i had to do flash the recovery image as update.zip again because it wasn't there when i went back to recovery
12th June 2010, 11:05 PM |#19  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I know this a noob question but will this work after the htc update?

I keep hearing mixed things!!!!

Thanks and OMG that was beautiful
12th June 2010, 11:05 PM |#20  
TheBiles's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblazea50

i went from step 1 to 34, followed all of it; the only thing is i installed a different custom rom; had to install the recovery image as an update.zip

also, i don't think you mentioned in your guide to wipe data/factory reset prior to installing custom rom because when i did it the 1st time, got stuck in a boot loop; then i realized i had to wipe and it worked fine;

oh, also, after the boot loop, i had to do flash the recovery image as update.zip again because it wasn't there when i went back to recovery

Yeah, I added in that data wipe bit not long ago because I forgot to. I wonder why the ROM Manager doesn't work in the debug ROM... I'll definitely just remove that later tonight.
12th June 2010, 11:48 PM |#21  
strung's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik

I think my only suggestion would be to skip the initial rom manager install to download the recovery. I couldn't get rom manager to actually download the update.zip and it probably would have saved some time to just download the update.zip in the first place and do it manually. It kept saying it was successfully downloaded when it wasn't.

2nding this.

Fantastic guide, I'm also new to Android and I couldn't have flashed without this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes