FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ANCIENT-TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! NAND Unlock and ADB Update!!

3,573 posts
Thanks Meter: 178

By TheBiles, Senior Member on 12th June 2010, 08:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th June 2010, 11:48 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roybotnik

I think my only suggestion would be to skip the initial rom manager install to download the recovery. I couldn't get rom manager to actually download the update.zip and it probably would have saved some time to just download the update.zip in the first place and do it manually. It kept saying it was successfully downloaded when it wasn't.

2nding this.

Fantastic guide, I'm also new to Android and I couldn't have flashed without this.

13th June 2010, 12:03 AM |#22  
Flag Monroe, LA
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Good job!!!!
13th June 2010, 12:10 AM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Whats the downside to rooting? I want to make sure i can get froyo when it drops.
13th June 2010, 12:22 AM |#24  
Flag Southie
Thanks Meter: 119

More
I'm very well used to flashing roms etc etc. But I do not understand how this whole NON STICKING root thing actually works? How can it work if it resets to stock after reboot?
N'

Very nice write up thank you.
13th June 2010, 12:26 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Smile
For those asking if this will work after the OTA updates, I can confirm that it will. I wasn't thinking and updated with the OTA updates when I got my phone this morning (6/12).
13th June 2010, 12:34 AM |#26  
Flag Beltsville
Thanks Meter: 476

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by logosmonkey

For those asking if this will work after the OTA updates, I can confirm that it will. I wasn't thinking and updated with the OTA updates when I got my phone this morning (6/12).

Yes, you're right, this works even if you installed the OTA update.

I should have mentioned it earlier when I went through the process.
13th June 2010, 12:55 AM |#27  
Thumbs up
Thank you for this guide!

I am a expert in WI MO Roms and such BUT have no experience in Unix/Linux!

This helped very much. I was stuck on the Recovery installation !
13th June 2010, 01:12 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
At step 32, could you use the "Install ROM from SD Card" function of ROM Manager to install the rooted stock rom instead of the manual process?
13th June 2010, 01:34 AM |#29  

More
Not getting the "install zip from sdcard." in recovery.
13th June 2010, 01:45 AM |#30  

More
I got it. Rom manager was not working for me.
13th June 2010, 01:46 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Updated the recovery section of the guide to include a full map of the recovery menu. Hopefully that will clear things up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmjr69

I'm very well used to flashing roms etc etc. But I do not understand how this whole NON STICKING root thing actually works? How can it work if it resets to stock after reboot?
N'

Very nice write up thank you.

The non-sticking root essentially means that the unrEVOked method will only work when the unrEVOked .apk is present. It just allows you to run programs with root access through some glitch in HTC's security. The ROM itself isn't actually rooted, and you can't use it to do things like access recovery mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilStrider

Whats the downside to rooting? I want to make sure i can get froyo when it drops.

There isn't one, honestly. You will most likely get Froyo before it drops by rooting, as we already have a nearly functional build right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny75

At step 32, could you use the "Install ROM from SD Card" function of ROM Manager to install the rooted stock rom instead of the manual process?

As far as I know, the debug ROM lacks the proper reboot file to actually reboot the phone into recovery from the menu. You can find the fix for this at the end of my guide, but it requires ADB (and most custom ROMs already have it fixed). You will be able to use it in ROMs like Fresh, however. I'm guessing you could successfully install and use ROM Manager, right?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)