FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ANCIENT-TUTORIAL] IDIOT-PROOF Root Guide! NAND Unlock and ADB Update!!

3,573 posts
Thanks Meter: 178

By TheBiles, Senior Member on 12th June 2010, 08:37 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd June 2010, 12:55 AM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thumbs up
Thanks to those who worked on this, it works it is idiot proof.

I tried the three step root program but it didn't work for me. Actually I think that if you are going to go full root you probably should go through a more detailed step by step especially if you don't know what the hell you are doing like me.

This was a great exercise and helped me get more informed about what is actually going on when rooting and getting full nand.

23rd June 2010, 01:15 AM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshnor713

Can someone please explain what

cat /sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image
chmod 755 /data/flash_image
/data/flash_image misc /sdcard/mtd-eng.img

actually does the first time you do it?

I'm asking because I forgot to backup before doing this, so I entered this stuff and then proceeding to backing up.

Does it mess up anything if I just continue with the unlocking NAND process?

Thanks

(Chmod) 755 means read and execute access for everyone and also write access for the owner of the file. When you perform chmod 755 filename command you allow everyone to read and execute the file, owner is allowed to write to the file as well.
Thats the read/write part of unlocking nand as far as I understand it.
23rd June 2010, 01:28 AM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Scream

(Chmod) 755 means read and execute access for everyone and also write access for the owner of the file. When you perform chmod 755 filename command you allow everyone to read and execute the file, owner is allowed to write to the file as well.

Thanks for the response but you didn't really answer my main question.

I want to know if I can continue with the process, since I didn't do the first two things in order, or do I have to do

again.
23rd June 2010, 01:34 AM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:

Thanks for the response but you didn't really answer my main question.

I want to know if I can continue with the process, since I didn't do the first two things in order, or do I have to do

again.

If you got an error while running these commands, then yes, you have to do them again.
23rd June 2010, 02:10 AM |#505  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by neckface

If you got an error while running these commands, then yes, you have to do them again.

I didn't get an error when I did them.

Would it hurt to just do them again anyways?

Sorry, I don't know totally how this stuff works and am just following direction.
23rd June 2010, 02:33 AM |#506  
OP Senior Member
Flag North Carolina
Thanks Meter: 178

More
Quote:

I didn't get an error when I did them.

Would it hurt to just do them again anyways?

Sorry, I don't know totally how this stuff works and am just following direction.

Just do them again. It won't hurt.
23rd June 2010, 02:39 AM |#507  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBiles

Just do them again. It won't hurt.

I tried and when go into the bootloader it's not offering me to start the update.

So now I don't know what to do...

I'm going to try starting from stratch.
23rd June 2010, 03:40 AM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quick question does step 33a does that wipe the Dalvik-cache? Is that important to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jimmyz Ad-Free
23rd June 2010, 09:16 AM |#509  
Thanks Meter: 1,273

More
Want to say many thanks to TheBiles and the great guys maintaining this stuff all over the web!

Finally, using adb, I've removed the Sprint bloat I never wanted - and that Amazon MP3 store!

Just a suggestion - the xxx.6 software update - the main instructions has the Supersonic.xxx.1 rom and like many, I found the error that the OTA update (that fortunately failed and therefore didn't erase my progress) should be replaced with the downloaded one.

I don't mean to complain, but I suppose a lot of people won't read the thread linearly to get to post #202 to get on the right track!

Now - if only found this thread on saving my scene first!!! I've re-done that sucker some three times now - going on four!

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=667386

(New user, sorry, can't post links - put the http in front.)
23rd June 2010, 01:45 PM |#510  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon

Just a suggestion - the xxx.6 software update - the main instructions has the Supersonic.xxx.1 rom and like many, I found the error that the OTA update (that fortunately failed and therefore didn't erase my progress) should be replaced with the downloaded one.

I don't mean to complain, but I suppose a lot of people won't read the thread linearly to get to post #202 to get on the right track!

So just to be sure- first I install the rooted stock rom and then install the .6 update?
23rd June 2010, 02:02 PM |#511  
Flag Oklahoma City
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Can anyone help me I have followed this to the t but every time I try a new rom it hangs on the white evo screen and keeps rebooting. Then I have to boot back with volume down and power do wipe then it takes me back to a stock rom. I have tried damageless plus two other roms

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)