Ext4 on galaxy tab?

Search This thread

b0ricuaguerrero

Sep 30, 2007
brooklyn, N.Y
From what I read koushes clockworkmod recovery converts your system to ext4. But I think its for vzw. I tried with my tmo tab and I could of sworn I stood at rfs. Not sure. But would love to see a voodoo kernal

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

mikenicee

Jul 30, 2008
I hacked it on my epic 4g and its been great. so am I to believe that there its no ext4 hack and no voice dialer hack with 3g?

mikenicee

Jul 30, 2008
Ext4 definitely made the phone more snappy along with froyo rom

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

rmanaudio

Aug 27, 2010
GTA
Well why did samsung ditch rfs to ext4 for the nexus s?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Because it was not Samsung who was coding for the Nexus S! Nexus S has nothing to do with Samsung it is all done by Google! Only the hardware and its warrenty is related to Samsung. All firmwares/ROMs and Kernals will be released by Google and google only! This is why it is call a true google phone!

Adapt0r

Jan 17, 2009
Quadrant scores do not relate to actual phone use though.

Sent from my GT-P1000
Ext4 file system make read/write operations at least twice faster compare to RFS. It allows for file size exceeding 2GB as well. Besides it has journaling capabilty.
All this greatly reduces lags and glitches especially for video and when switching tasks that involves read/write operations.
My experience with ext4 on Vibrant is very positive.

Technomancer

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
RFS is fat16 or fat32 with a journal.
It is also proprietary to Samsung and no source code for it is released, so it is not very good for AOSP release. And in everyone's experience it performs like ****.
The RFS stack (probably storage.ko) also contains sector remapping/wear levelling module that implements stl on top of bml. So while it is easy to switch to extX on top of stl its gonna be much harder to implement it on top of raw mtd flash for .35 kernel on tab. The flash chip in Nexus S most likely has wear levelling built in. But on Tab it is done on software.

ptfdmedic

Aug 23, 2006
Quadrant scores do not relate to actual phone use though.

Sent from my GT-P1000

That is not always true. The problem is that quadrant can be "tricked" into a higher score (EXT2, EXT3). However, ext4 is a true "lag fix" and thus the performance gain is real. There is a "real world" gain after converting to EXT4. The problem as I understand it with the Tabs right now is that we don't know if it is actually working. Give it time and we will see the same progress as we see in the Galaxy S phone.....