[KERNEL] 5/4/12: Stock Asus ICS Kernels, CWM Flashable

Search This thread

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Sure, as soon as Asus posts the firmware files then I'll get on it when I get the chance. The last I looked they weren't posted yet.

Bump.

SydneyK, did they ever uploaded these to the Asus site? I'm at work now and for some reason they have Asus firewalled but not XDA, HA!!

I'm already using G's kernel and going to try out Harmony later on this week. But my real question is if/when they do drop JellyBean to us, does the OTA check for kernels or is it just the standard stuff like /system/app and stock recovery (both of which I have either frozen [apps] or flashable [recovery]). I know there will be a flashable package for JB shortly after it comes out but I am just wondering if it checks out the kernel before throwing an error.

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Bump.

SydneyK, did they ever uploaded these to the Asus site? I'm at work now and for some reason they have Asus firewalled but not XDA, HA!!

I'm already using G's kernel and going to try out Harmony later on this week. But my real question is if/when they do drop JellyBean to us, does the OTA check for kernels or is it just the standard stuff like /system/app and stock recovery (both of which I have either frozen [apps] or flashable [recovery]). I know there will be a flashable package for JB shortly after it comes out but I am just wondering if it checks out the kernel before throwing an error.

When I checked this morning, they were still not there. I don't really know about the OTA's. I only ever got the one after first turning the tab on and was rooted soon after that. If you are using the insecure kernel then the OTA may check for that. I think it looks for the presence of su and superuser also and, like you said, what recovery you have and any customizations, apps, or mods that would not normally be allowed on stock. In other words, stock OTA is looking for an existing stock system.

Reactions: Woody

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
When I checked this morning, they were still not there. I don't really know about the OTA's. I only ever got the one after first turning the tab on and was rooted soon after that. If you are using the insecure kernel then the OTA may check for that. I think it looks for the presence of su and superuser also and, like you said, what recovery you have and any customizations, apps, or mods that would not normally be allowed on stock. In other words, stock OTA is looking for an existing stock system.

Yea, it looks for SU stock recovery, all the Asus Bloat apps and if you have changed something in the framework or system-ui (like custom status bar icons or something like that). I just wasn't sure about the kernel checks.

Thanks for checking for me

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Yea, it looks for SU stock recovery, all the Asus Bloat apps and if you have changed something in the framework or system-ui (like custom status bar icons or something like that). I just wasn't sure about the kernel checks.

Thanks for checking for me

I just checked and Asus has finally posted the .27 firmwares, so I'll get to these as soon as I can. My wife is monopolizing my desktop at the moment where I have my linux and tools setup. Facebook games make her world go around.

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
2.6.39.4 / Android @ Mars #1

I'm trying to identify and download a stock kernel. I just installed Revolution, and in that thread it indicates it is using a stock kernel. But the version I see when I go into settings/About, is as per the title of this post.

That is not anywhere near what is posted as kernels in this thread.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
I'm trying to identify and download a stock kernel. I just installed Revolution, and in that thread it indicates it is using a stock kernel. But the version I see when I go into settings/About, is as per the title of this post.

That is not anywhere near what is posted as kernels in this thread.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

What you are seeing, as indicated in your post title, is the actual kernel build info that was generated from whatever user and machine it was built on (i.e. user Android on machine designated as Mars#1). The kernels I've posted here are listed according to the firmware versions they came from. They are built by Asus, I just extract them and repackage them in a flashable zip file. I don't know which ARHD version you are using, but there should be a corresponding changelog saying what firmware version it is based on. If it also says he used the stock kernel, then assuming he means the stock kernel from the firmware he's based on, then it should correspond to the kernel from the the same stock firmware version posted here and, if you install it, then you should see matching kernel build information. If I had rebuilt from source then you would see info related to my build environment. Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: ewingr

ewingr

Dec 1, 2007
What you are seeing, as indicated in your post title, is the actual kernel build info that was generated from whatever user and machine it was built on (i.e. user Android on machine designated as Mars#1). The kernels I've posted here are listed according to the firmware versions they came from. They are built by Asus, I just extract them and repackage them in a flashable zip file. I don't know which ARHD version you are using, but there should be a corresponding changelog saying what firmware version it is based on. If it also says he used the stock kernel, then assuming he means the stock kernel from the firmware he's based on, then it should correspond to the kernel from the the same stock firmware version posted here and, if you install it, then you should see matching kernel build information. If I had rebuilt from source then you would see info related to my build environment. Hope that makes sense.

Thankyou for the quick and detailed response. It does make sense.

Top Liked Posts