Dell Stops Making Venue Pro

Search This thread

Joelh1

Jun 6, 2007
Dell announced today that is has stopped making the Venue and Venue Pro.

Wonder what is next for Dell.

AnyMal

Apr 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
There is no "next" for Dell. They don't know how to market or support their phones. I have owned every single one of them except for Aero and will never buy another Dell phone, ever.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Do you still have your aero?
(Edit: read it wrong)

I have every 2nd gen device and 1/2 of the 3rd gen ones.

The 1st gen ones arent easy to get as the aero was the only one released outside china.

The only releaseable device left is the StreakPro as the Streak10 is obsolete as a new device release.

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
Looks like Dell's web site is not selling Dell Venue now either.
Wow I guess this means we own an obsolete phone with no compass. Atleast the many of the other aspects of Windows Phone still make it appealing along with the keyboard.

weatherx

Feb 28, 2011
i think the more important question for those who still have warranty left: what can you/dell do when your DVP has a problem?

Neo XL

Feb 24, 2006
Kassel
OPPO Reno 10x Zoom
The problem of dell aren´t their phones... i think, DVP is the most attractive windows phone... they don´t work together with the providers, only sell over their website or shops. And another big mistake is, that they require so high shipping costs... the shipping for the DVP are 29 €/ 38 $ in Germany... really inadequate. Normally it´s around 6 €/ 8 $.

Here you have to go a long way, before you find this device. There are many phones with less quality, but you can see them on every poster, in the tv and in many shops. They only have to do a better marketing and the phones would be sold.

Last edited:

neftv

Jan 6, 2012
i think the more important question for those who still have warranty left: what can you/dell do when your DVP has a problem?

Oh I should hope Dell will support any outstanding warranties because its good business for repeat customers. It will be interesting to see in reality what comes of it. What I can't understand is they have an almost outstanding phone why they want to get out of it? Certainly better audio quality that the 3 Titans I had my hands on.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Oh I should hope Dell will support any outstanding warranties because its good business for repeat customers.

This is generally how most companies work, they'll support outstanding ones until they all expire (unless it's like HP and the touchpad where they basically shut everything down)

They'll have some leftover new devices and once those run out will offer refurbs and finally offer credit or something when even the refurbs run out. That's basically what they did when the streak5 and 7 stopped being sold.

There's no reason to not think this since the VP is EOLing because it's a year old now (and excluding the fact WP7 is always a year behind on top of that), it's internals are old enough that it realistically shouldnt be sold any more. (WP7 launched with 1st gen snapdragons around when 2nd gen ones were starting to roll out, 4th gen ones are starting to roll out now so yea)

The V/VP were one of the last (non-bottom end) devices still being manufactured with S1's, the fabs/everyone involved are likely happy they can finally stop manufacturing them and make something newer (or they stopped and dell soaked up the last of the stock or whatever)

magicsquid

Jun 17, 2011
London
Also, there's probably around 20,000 DVPs inside Dell itself in use by employees.
http://www.winsupersite.com/blog/su...es-blackberries-windows-phone-handsets-141361

I'm sure Dell would have thought about spares / warranties etc.

If Dell now sees itself as focused on Enterprise IT rather than consumers, I wonder whether they might release some WP8 devices. An updated VP and smaller device using the leaked Blackberry-like chassis might appeal to business users.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
Dell has demonistrated that it's definitely capable of turning it's devices into business devices. But just the same who knows if they'll follow though or half-ass it as they've consistantly shown.

Supporting facts:
  1. S5 and V are DISA certified so the US military can use them (dunno if they actually do though, but it's the first ones to do so and the only ones still(?))
  2. S10 and SP have Dell divide integrated into the roms, which pretty much targets business users
  3. Dell internally uses VP's as their business phone (like mentioned)
  4. Dell JUST RELEASED the V in japan a couple months back as a business phone with an associated business carrier

If Dell had an organized and focused strategy, they could be a legimiate threat to blackberry.
As BB is stereotypically shown as being:
  • Very strong enterprise support (mainly due to BBM)
  • Good hardware keypads
  • Not much besides that

The V/VP/SP/S10 (hell if you toss in the Latitude ST and installed win8 on it) gives dell potentially a complete ecosystem of mobile devices and pure tablets that COULD be worth using as enterprise level devices.
None of them (bar the SP, and possibly the S10 for a little longer) are based on the latest hardware, given the way they're used that's not really relevent, they only need as fast as devices as whatever their use demands. Sure they could play games and stuff but that's not really the point.

Not that I expect much out of dell, they've consistantly demonstrated that they put in near minimal effort on the software side of their devices. Bar how easily the keys on the VP stop working, the HW on dell devices is pretty good in build quality.
Dell's obviously already a huge company in enterprise markets with their PCs and everything (at least in workstations it's almost universally dell's where I am), so it's not like it's a new market for them. The mobility division is pretty much just a pet project in comparison to the rest of the company.

TheManii

Wiki Admin / Inactive RC
Dec 8, 2010
I am looking forward to seeing the new Dell phones that come out late 2012.

Dell hasnt leaked/have someone leak their 2012 roadmap yet. If they do have anything in the works we at this point have no idea about it.

They've canceled the majority of their Q411 and Q112 devices and already released the rest.