[MOD][ICS] Support for 720p Video Record/Playback on ICS's ROMs with BigMem Kernels.

Search This thread

F4k

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2010
Hi guys, I bring to you the files needed to support 720p video recording & playback, was compiled from source code files by myself.

Was tested on my ROM/MOD, wich it's based on ICS RC4.2 Onecosmic's/ICS SGS Team, with Icy Glitch V14-B6 Kernel and Midnight Kernel, with BigMem/HugeMem patches.

I don't know if works on other ICS ROMs, maybe yes, maybe not.

Edited:
Working fine in ICSSGS RC4.2, CM9 Nightly, CM9 Kang, Elite V9, CM9 B17, Blue Lightning 1.1.1...

Credits
CM Team for both omx & bigmem patches
Glitch Kernel Team
Mialwe for Midnight Kernel
ICS SGS Team
krarvind

Cheers!

Attachments

• 720p.recording-playback-support-by_F4k.zip
    252.7 KB · Views: 16,019
Last edited:

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
Can someone possibly direct me to some information about how these recent bigmem kernels came about? and why they didn't break hdcam etc...

I guess what I'm asking is, where did the ram come from? Is it something like, ram has been taken away from gpu and then apps/libs in the rom have been modified so that hw playback, recording require less?

Sorry if it's a bit off-topic, but I couldn't find even a simple explanation anywhere.
Thx in advance!!!

Reactions: alex999999

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
Tested on CM9 4.0.4 Kang with Semaphore 0.9.8s:

-387MB RAM
-tested 720p youtube video = OK
-tested camera 720p recording and playback = OK
-hardware acceleration in menus = OK

Thanks a lot, awesome! :D

5nickers

Sep 26, 2010
-
Can someone test it on elites v8 Rom please :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

gaurav2009

Jun 14, 2011
wow you made my day
tested with icssgs 4.1 with sempaphore 0.9.8sbm
-wiped cache and dalvik and flashed kernel played hd video doesnot play
-reboot in recovery flashed your file.
-woot its working ...
thnxx
got 399 mb ram with everything working!!!!!

Reactions: raXoN91

Faith140291

Jan 29, 2011
On Tallon IV...
i can confirm that flashing this file, with infinitum black, semaphore 0.9.8s (bigmem 399), all works in terms of playback, but 720p recording still doesn't work

Londarth

Jan 29, 2008
Zagreb
Works perfectly on Elite v8 with Midnight kernel. Downloading v9 and will report on it in an hour or more.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jifeng

Oct 12, 2010
Taipei
Great, works on BLUElightNiNg_v1.1.1 w/ MidNight-0.9.0-2-HUGERAM!!
Now I have 387Mb RAM w/o breaking 720p~;)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, I bring to you the files needed to support 720p video recording & playback, was compiled from source code files by myself.

Was tested on my ROM/MOD, wich it's based on ICS RC4.2 Onecosmic's/ICS SGS Team, with Icy Glitch V14-B6 Kernel and Midnight Kernel, with BigMem/HugeMem patches.

I don't know if works on other ICS ROMs, maybe yes, maybe not.

Edited:
    Working fine in ICSSGS RC4.2, CM9 Nightly, CM9 Kang, Elite V9, CM9 B17, Blue Lightning 1.1.1...

Credits
    CM Team for both omx & bigmem patches
    Glitch Kernel Team
    Mialwe for Midnight Kernel
    ICS SGS Team
    krarvind

Cheers!
    That's because Pawtip uses other memory reservation values than krarvinds' initially commited patch for i9000 which is used by Midnight and the other custom kernels.

Pawtips commit: ~370Mb RAM + a potential kernel panic fix, maybe more usable for high bitrate videos (don't know this one for sure), supporting kernel: CM9

Krarvind's commit: ~386Mb RAM, no serious issues reported (I think), supporting kernels: Semaphore, Midnight, not sure about Glitch but I think so.

As this commits need the kernel modified, too, this get's interesting.
    My first thought was - Midnight should switch to the CM9 version as it seems to have fixed a possible kernel panic with certain videos.
    On the other hand no other ROM besides CM9 supports the 370Mb version so this will lead to issues again as the kernel will use more reserved memory, the ROM (with the original patch for ~386+ Mb) provides less.

Edit: Please correct me if I'm wrong with the kernels, just read about a Glitch version providing 370Mb?
    Thankxx, it works. Also, u should add krarvind's name in credits.
    Thankxx, it works. Also, u should add krarvind's name in credits.

Added, yes, he was the first one ;)
    The patch does exactly what it says:
    - allows for big mem kernels - see the "s" versions of Semaphore for example.
    - it will not allow you to use HD recording on HUGE mem versions - see the "s" versions of Semaphore where the "Big MEM" is enabled in settings => a huge mem version (actually that setting breaks HD recording no matter what).

Personally I have tried this on both ICS333 (where it's actually built in, but I updated the kernel to "s" versions of Semaphore) and on AOKP (where I flashed the patch + "s" version of Semaphore).