Battery drain after 4.4 OTA...

Search This thread

whpsnp

Dec 9, 2010
No root needed for app ops, its not really an app, more of a shortcut to the feature which Google don't want to make official yet. But it's a part of android and with 4.4 they have included the ability to disable keep awake for almost every app. It does wonders for battery life. I got 3,5 days with 11 hours screen on time. The development of android has become too fragmented so there's no consistency any longer, that's why most battery drainage nowadays is caused by Google's own apps. And if you disable keep awake for eg Facebook messenger you will still get notifications, even if the tablet is in deep sleep. So i honestly don't understand what the keep awake function is for. I have disabled it for all apps, Google services, Google play store + the sub stores like play books, games etc and android system. I haven't had any problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mind pointing me to the correct App Ops? There are a number of apps with that name in Play Store.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Nevermind. This one seems to be just fine:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schurich.android.tools.appopsstarter

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
Mind pointing me to the correct App Ops? There are a number of apps with that name in Play Store.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Nevermind. This one seems to be just fine:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schurich.android.tools.appopsstarter

I use this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.findsdk.apppermission
Have you converted your One to GPe or custom rom? With 4.4.2 google completely removed app ops so now you do need root to install app ops again.

Reactions: whpsnp

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
My One is rooted and S-off but this question was in regard to the Nexus 7 2013. Thanks!

OK! Be aware when 4.4.3 gets official that Google may have removed the possibility to use app ops completely, even with root. Personally I am going to wait for reports because app ops is more important to me than whatever bug fixes are in 4.4.3 (4.4.2 is working great for me). If you're after more battery savings than what you already get from disabling "keep awake" in app ops you should also try greenify. This combination does wonders for battery. My nexus 7 2012 gets 14 days standby time. I use my N7 2013 too much to be able to evaluate maximum standby time but last charge cycle I got 4 days with 10h screen on time, wi-fi always on.

ram130

Mar 4, 2010
New York, NY
www.everythinglegit.com
OK! Be aware when 4.4.3 gets official that Google may have removed the possibility to use app ops completely, even with root. Personally I am going to wait for reports because app ops is more important to me than whatever bug fixes are in 4.4.3 (4.4.2 is working great for me). If you're after more battery savings than what you already get from disabling "keep awake" in app ops you should also try greenify. This combination does wonders for battery. My nexus 7 2012 gets 14 days standby time. I use my N7 2013 too much to be able to evaluate maximum standby time but last charge cycle I got 4 days with 10h screen on time, wi-fi always on.

Damn. Your stand by battery life must be 0.1%/hr!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
Damn. Your stand by battery life must be 0.1%/hr!

I checked the screenshot of my last record and it says 15d 10hours, true story! Worth mentioning is that I don't have wi-fi always on because my N7 2012 is rarely used but sits on my dinner table being used as a remote controller when I eat. But that's 0.27% per hour so you weren't far off.

ram130

Mar 4, 2010
New York, NY
www.everythinglegit.com
I checked the screenshot of my last record and it says 15d 10hours, true story! Worth mentioning is that I don't have wi-fi always on because my N7 2012 is rarely used but sits on my dinner table being used as a remote controller when I eat. But that's 0.27% per hour so you weren't far off.

Amazing. That's exactly what my mother's N10 gets. 0.1/hr. Easily. Lol. But Android OS being hell on it at times.

On your N7 2013, I'm guessing it's rooted and location off?

mertzi

Jul 8, 2011
Amazing. That's exactly what my mother's N10 gets. 0.1/hr. Easily. Lol. But Android OS being hell on it at times.

On your N7 2013, I'm guessing it's rooted and location off?

The Android OS stay awake forever bug happens from time to time, I've long suspected that the cause is when updates for google play services are being pushed but I haven't been able to confirm it.

On my N7 2013 (rooted) I have location off, well actually everything off with these exceptions:

wifi always on
facebook messenger notifications
hangouts notifications
mighty text notifications

And as said earlier "keep awake" is disabled for almost all apps via app ops, and I've had to greenify some apps that insists on running in background with no legit reasons.

ram130

Mar 4, 2010
New York, NY
www.everythinglegit.com
The Android OS stay awake forever bug happens from time to time, I've long suspected that the cause is when updates for google play services are being pushed but I haven't been able to confirm it.

On my N7 2013 (rooted) I have location off, well actually everything off with these exceptions:

wifi always on
facebook messenger notifications
hangouts notifications
mighty text notifications

And as said earlier "keep awake" is disabled for almost all apps via app ops, and I've had to greenify some apps that insists on running in background with no legit reasons.

We have similar notifications. I'm not rooted so I can't do the disable keep awake thing. I also have two gmail accounts syncing. I tend to get a good amount of notifications during the days I leave my N7 at home. I usually average 0.5%/hr stand by drain. And other days it's 0.3%/hr. With location on, nearly 0.7%/hr most times. I've hit 9hr screen on a few times but mainly avg 7-8hrs now with 2 Day stand by.

WiFi always on along with WiFi scanning always available (you too?) as well. Some how I fixed the high Android OS issues on my N7. Even with Google Play Services updates it remains low. On the N10 and Moto X I haven't got it low yet. But I won't give up. I'm close.

whpsnp

Dec 9, 2010
I read somewhere that a bug in Android is causing Skype to continously activate the camera which in turn never lets the tablet sleep.
Tried uninstalling Skype and the stand by time instantly increased dramatically! I mean from 30-40% to only 5% down in almost 24 hours.

Top Liked Posts