[Q] best kernel for 4.4.2?

Search This thread

Travisholt92

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T
Just wondering in everybody else's experience which kernel they find to be the best as far as battery life and performance goes. I've only seen 3 kernels for 4.4.2 being leankernel dkp (I believe that's the name of it) and ktweaker. Also what settings you found to be the best for you (governors, undervolting settings, overclocking settings, Etc.) I do a lot of facebooking but that's about it. So I guess let the discussion begin? I'm running the latest update of cm11.

twistedillutions

Mar 7, 2013
Kernel are fone depended. Wat works for some ppl might not work for othets. Try them all out let them run couple days then u can decide which is better for you.
BMS and KT747 also have 4.4 versions

Reactions: XdrummerXboy

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
Best is subjective. Here's my subjective approach, so caveat emptor, take what I say as personal belief and not a professional benchmark testing...

For AOSP-based roms, here's what my experience is:

Lean: Easiest and simplest of the kernels. Has limited governors, but the tweaked InteractiveX is pretty effective at doing what you need. It also has a crapton of S3 specific tweaks to improve battery life. You can overclock to 1.72 (I believe...) Downside? The min frequencies are 384k, which means other kernels can go into a deeper sleep. The TCP algorythms are limited too, so choose 'reno'.

DKP: I love this kernel, but several people report it doesn't work for them. This kernel has a ton of governors, with 'freelunch' and 'asswax' being the best. There are also a lot of TCP algorythms (choose 'yeah' for best performance). You can overclock to something ridiculous like 2.1... but I keep it at 1.62; there's also deep sleep frequencies down to 54k (yes... 54000), but I tend to stay at108k. The downside? Some people can't get this kernel to work on their device and it doesn't have some of the battery saving tweaks Lean does.

KT: This is kind of the 'go to' for many people, because it has a standalone app that flashes in the process and the dev is pretty active with the S3 version here. Many of the same features of the previous two, but different governors and nothing that's a device-specific tweak; the kernel is developed for multiple devices.

BMS: This, to me, is a similar kernel to KT and was my go-to for 4.3 roms. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't speak to if it offers more governors and customization.

My take and choice?

Lean and DKP offer the best battery and performance than the rest; they seem to give the same performance, so really you can use either and be happy. I find KT and BMS to be sluggish (even with tweaking) on 4.4 roms AND they don't seem to put the device into the sleep I want it to for battery savings.

BUT... If you're flashing Gummy, give the stock kernel a try! It's the only AOSP-based rom that doesn't use the Cyanogenmod kernel and you can actually get some good performance out of it. I flash DKP over Gummy, but I also flash Lean some times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Travisholt92

Travisholt92

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T
Best is subjective. Here's my subjective approach, so caveat emptor, take what I say as personal belief and not a professional benchmark testing...

Lean: Easiest and simplest of the kernels. Has limited governors, but the tweaked InteractiveX is pretty effective at doing what you need. It also has a crapton of S3 specific tweaks to improve battery life. You can overclock to 1.72 (I believe...) Downside? The min frequencies are 384k, which means other kernels can go into a deeper sleep. The TCP algorythms are limited too, so choose 'reno'.

DKP: I love this kernel, but several people report it doesn't work for them. This kernel has a ton of governors, with 'freelunch' and 'asswax' being the best. There are also a lot of TCP algorythms (choose 'yeah' for best performance). You can overclock to something ridiculous like 2.1... but I keep it at 1.62; there's also deep sleep frequencies down to 54k (yes... 54000), but I tend to stay at108k. The downside? Some people can't get this kernel to work on their device and it doesn't have some of the battery saving tweaks Lean does.

KT: This is kind of the 'go to' for many people, because it has a standalone app that flashes in the process and the dev is pretty active with the S3 version here. Many of the same features of the previous two, but different governors and nothing that's a device-specific tweak; the kernel is developed for multiple devices.

BMS: This, to me, is a similar kernel to KT and was my go-to for 4.3 roms. I haven't used it in a while, so I can't speak to if it offers more governors and customization.

My take and choice?

Lean and DKP offer the best battery and performance than the rest; they seem to give the same performance, so really you can use either and be happy. I find KT and BMS to be sluggish (even with tweaking) on 4.4 roms AND they don't seem to put the device into the sleep I want it to for battery savings.

BUT... If you're flashing Gummy, give the stock kernel a try! It's the only AOSP-based rom that doesn't use the Cyanogenmod kernel and you can actually get some good performance out of it. I flash DKP over Gummy, but I also flash Lean some times.

By far the most in depth reply I've ever gotten on anything on any forums. I'll definitely give dkp a try with your suggestions, and I'll give that Rom a try as well when I get home on Sunday thank very much the reply

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
By far the most in depth reply I've ever gotten on anything on any forums. I'll definitely give dkp a try with your suggestions, and I'll give that Rom a try as well when I get home on Sunday thank very much the reply
Anytime, man. I'm ADD when it comes to roms and kernels, so I'm constantly changing them, but I really like the DKP/Gummy combo. FYI, if you're going to flash Gummy, get the 1/15 build... it's the one I'm on and is the most stable as of late.
I also recommend using the TricksterMOD app from the Play Store. It allows you to modify every feature the kernel will allow and can set on reboot.

Let me know if you want to know what my settings are in Trickster... I have it pretty dialed-in to solid performance and battery life.

Oh and as flyest said... nandroid, THEN flash. You should probably wipe dalvik and cache too. You don't have to, but I've had some bootloops before when I didn't.

Travisholt92

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T
Anytime, man. I'm ADD when it comes to roms and kernels, so I'm constantly changing them, but I really like the DKP/Gummy combo. FYI, if you're going to flash Gummy, get the 1/15 build... it's the one I'm on and is the most stable as of late.
I also recommend using the TricksterMOD app from the Play Store. It allows you to modify every feature the kernel will allow and can set on reboot.

Let me know if you want to know what my settings are in Trickster... I have it pretty dialed-in to solid performance and battery life.

Oh and as flyest said... nandroid, THEN flash. You should probably wipe dalvik and cache too. You don't have to, but I've had some bootloops before when I didn't.

I've only had issues like that when trying to flash anything my girlfriend's phone. However as far as trickster goes I can't afford the donation version at the moment.

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
I've only had issues like that when trying to flash anything my girlfriend's phone. However as far as trickster goes I can't afford the donation version at the moment.
Don't even bother with the donation version... you can do everything you need with the free one. :)

As for I/O... you'll hear various claims that one is better than the other, but I stick with ROW. For the memory our device has 'Read Over Write' is the best scheduler you'll get with these kernels. FIOS is really the best, if you can find it, but ROW is what I stick with.

This may help clarify... or confuse you more lol http://timos.me/tm/wiki/ioscheduler

Travisholt92

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T
Don't even bother with the donation version... you can do everything you need with the free one. :)

As for I/O... you'll hear various claims that one is better than the other, but I stick with ROW. For the memory our device has 'Read Over Write' is the best scheduler you'll get with these kernels. FIOS is really the best, if you can find it, but ROW is what I stick with.

This may help clarify... or confuse you more lol http://timos.me/tm/wiki/ioscheduler

Alright what are those settings then lol

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
Here's only stuff I tweak.

SETTINGS:
TCP: 'yeah'
CPU FREQUENCY: min - 108000 / max - 1620000
GOVERNOR: freelunch

SPECIFIC:
Force Fast charge: YES.
Multicore Power Saving: 1
MPU Voltages: Press minus once for -25. Note that this may cause a 'wake lag' with the screen, so revert to 1150 @ the 1.512 frequency if you have issues.

I also tick the box for 'kernel settings' on reboot, so the app overrides other settings that are in effect @ boot.

Travisholt92

Jun 28, 2012
Fort Wayne, Indiana
OnePlus 8
OnePlus 8T

SETTINGS:

SPECIFIC:
MPU Voltages: Press minus once for -25. Note that this may cause a 'wake lag' with the screen, so revert to 1150 @ the 1.512 frequency if you have issues.

I also tick the box for 'kernel settings' on reboot, so the app overrides other settings that are in effect @ boot.

How do I change the tcp

beepea206

Mar 18, 2011
In Trickster, TCP is at the very top of the 'Settings' window and should be a drop down menu.

jamesn2k

Mar 14, 2013
I've always used Lean Kernel for touchwiz and aosp roms. Very battery friendly and over clockable. I also like DKP for touchwiz. DKP has TricksterMod support and I believe Lean Kernel does as well. But if the rom has performance in the settings menu of the rom I use that instead.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kernel are fone depended. Wat works for some ppl might not work for othets. Try them all out let them run couple days then u can decide which is better for you.
    BMS and KT747 also have 4.4 versions

My take and choice?

SETTINGS:

SPECIFIC: