[MOD] Palm Pre Touchstone for Droid Charge (first prototype working!!!!!)

Search This thread

knyghtryda

Jan 13, 2011
Update #2:
Just ordered another touchstone to play with. They're $3 cheaper through verizon if you have a corporate discount :) I'm gonna see about adding some neodymium magnets to this mix in order to hold the phone while its in a case. This is gonna require drilling into the original magnet (yes... even though there's 4 magnet contact points, theres just one big honking magnet in the touchstone which acts as both magnet and ferrite core for the induction coil. There's some pretty cool engineering going on in this thing) which should be fun. It turns out that the phone will charge through a really thin case (like a gel case or a cheap amazon two piece case) but just not through the stock verizon or thicker case.

Update #1:
Well... it works!!!! There wasn't any strange hitches with the setup. The wireless charge ports on the back do as they're supposed to, and the pre induction pickup works through the droid charge case. The hardest part was finding the right material for the contact points (I'll post an update later with more details about how I did this... ). The only drawbacks to this mod are that your charge is now about 1mm thicker on the back and the induction charging does NOT work through a case (at least the stock verizon case with kickstand). That being said, this mod is completely reversible (unlike every other pre induction charger to X phone mod) so you don't lose your warranty (or even your back cover).
attachment.php

Parts List:
1x Palm Pre Touchstone Charging Dock, cable and power adapter
1x Palm Pre Touchstone Back Cover
some wire
a soldering iron and solder
patience

Total cost of materials comes out to ~$15

Instructions:
(0) If you don't know your way around a soldering iron or multimeter then I highly suggest you stop here and get some help doing this. The likelihood of damage to your phone is low, but doing something stupid like flipping the polarities or shorting your charge wires WILL probably fry something, either the pre induction charger, your phone, or both. I am most definitely not responsible for any mishaps or stupidity on your part. You have been warned!

1) Separate the induction coil, circult, and metal circles from the back of the Palm Pre. You're gonna have to do some digging with a screwdriver as they're stuck on pretty tight, but once you start peeling it comes off pretty easy.

2) make contacts for the Charge in order to reach the "wireless charging" port on the back. This is the hardest step by far. I ended up using some long 8mil circuit board headers that I bent, cut, and trimmed to size (see pictures for how I did the bending). I'm not sure if I recommend doing it my way as this still isn't an ideal setup, but it works. The important thing to remember is that there's about 1mm or less of clearance between the phone-side contacts and the case, so plan accordingly. Again, look at my pictures for a basic idea of how to make the contacts work, but remember that what I did IS NOT IDEAL.
attachment.php

3) place the contacts carefully on the phone in the correct position. Its easier to line them up on the phone than it is to guesstimate their position on the case.

4) put a small piece of tape on the back of the pre induction charger (see picture for tape location, it should be on the non-sticky side) and lay this CAREFULLY and STICKY SIDE UP onto the position you want on the back of the phone. Make sure you have not moved your contacts when you laid this down. At this point you don't need to press anything down yet, so just gently placing it is fine as long as its in the right position.

5) gently and without moving anything snap the cover back on. Press tightly, then carefully remove the cover. Everything you just placed (especially the contacts) should still be in the same place. If not, you're gonna have to start over at least with the contacts.

6) Press everything down tight, and permanently secure the contacts to the back of the cover (or in my case, the back of the pre induction charger sticky piece). a dab of superglue should be plenty.

7) solder the wires from the induction charger circuit to the contacts. Positive at toward the top of the phone, ground is toward the bottom of the phone. On the induction charger if you flip it like I did then positive is toward the top and ground is toward the bottom as well.

8) TEST TEST TEST. Get a volt meter and make sure you're getting ~5.5v from your contacts when you put the back cover on the touchstone. If not, then you did something wrong. My mistake the first time was not putting all the sticky layers back together in the correct order. It goes black sticky layer, silver sticky layer, then coil. The coil should be sitting directly on the plastic of the cover. The order is important! Also, make sure that your polarities are correct (positive top, gnd bottom).

9) Snap everything back together and put the phone on the touchstone. It should register immediately as wireless charging. Voila la! Wireless charging for $15 on the Droid Charge! Now go get a beer and take a nap :p

Now I need some sleep... Ask any questions you want and I'll try to be helpful, and maybe tomorrow I'll put up a proper tutorial with pictures on how to do this. Till then... take a gander at the pictures of the final product :)

Introduction:
Dunno why I haven't seen this on the droid charge forums yet, but I've just bought the parts for a palm pre induction charger grafted onto a droid charge. The way I see it, the charge (and the thunderbolt) are perfect phones for this as verizon has kindly provided us with inductive charger contact points already :) But wait you ask... why am I going through all this trouble when there's already an induction charger available for the Droid Charge? Simple. I really didn't want to pay over $50 for an induction charger, so $15 for a touchstone + pre backplate seemed like a good compromise. My only concern at this point is the rather limited spacing between the back cover and the battery. I'm gonna have to do some testing to see if I can actually wedge the charger in there (probably not... seeing as how verizon had to make a slightly thicker back for their charger) or if I'm gonna have to do some fancy cutting to the stock back. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• chargepic1.jpeg
    chargepic1.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,358
  • chargepic2.jpeg
    chargepic2.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 630
  • chargepic3.jpeg
    chargepic3.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,390
  • chargepic4.jpeg
    chargepic4.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 674
Last edited:

SigmunDroid

Aug 3, 2010
Good luck but please follow up whether or not you follow through. We will be anticipating your success!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

knyghtryda

Jan 13, 2011
Finally got all the pieces today (the back cover took FOREVER to get here). I'll be updating within the next day as to how successful this is.

Bear55

Jun 30, 2011
Will you link to your parts sources? This looks like a great project. Thanks for all of the work you put in to share it with us!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

justin94

Oct 31, 2010
I'm very busy. Don't have the time to do this sort of thing. Would u bill willing to make one for me. Just tell the the price for parts, including the charging station. Ill put it in your PayPal, when its done ill pay the labor and shipping..... what do u think?

knyghtryda

Jan 13, 2011
I'm very busy. Don't have the time to do this sort of thing. Would u bill willing to make one for me. Just tell the the price for parts, including the charging station. Ill put it in your PayPal, when its done ill pay the labor and shipping..... what do u think?

Don't think it'll be worth my time and your money for me to do that. parts alone is gonna cost $40 (gotta get a new back cover too since I just used my original on mine) and add on labor and shipping (mainly shipping...) will put it over $60. If you still REALLY want one PM me and we can come to some kind of deal.

williamn

Jun 21, 2006
New York
Nice mod. I'll probably solder the wires directly onto the contacts. Verizon has the touchstones for less than $5 right now. Free 2 day shipping.

shenanigans23

Aug 10, 2011
+1 i had totally forgoten about trying to use the touchstone charger til i saw this. i use to sell them so i picked up a few from other stores and tried this out myself and im glad to say that it worked for me as well. i had to use a pixi back though.

KrInEn

Mar 6, 2007
I was able to do this mod to my Incredible 2. I was able to plug in the charger and test the points on the back of the phone to determine polarity for my mod.

I am now trying to do this on my Droid 3. Only issue I am having is that when plugged into the charger the leads are set up like so.

1 2 3 4
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Now testing across leads 1 and 2 I get 1.6v with #2 being the positive lead. Now after more testing it seems like #2 is the only positive lead??? can this be? Am I testing it wrong?

knyghtryda

Jan 13, 2011
I was able to do this mod to my Incredible 2. I was able to plug in the charger and test the points on the back of the phone to determine polarity for my mod.

I am now trying to do this on my Droid 3. Only issue I am having is that when plugged into the charger the leads are set up like so.

1 2 3 4
[ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Now testing across leads 1 and 2 I get 1.6v with #2 being the positive lead. Now after more testing it seems like #2 is the only positive lead??? can this be? Am I testing it wrong?

Before trying to find the power lead, have you nailed down the ground? That's much easier to test for. Just find USB ground or any other ground in the phone and see which pins are grounded out. from there you might have better luck with finding power.

PS. An inductive charge back cover for your droid 3 costs $10 from verizon. Buy that, strip out the old internals, test those, then put in the palm pre ones in place of that. Problem solved, and no unslightly bulges from not having enough room in the stock case.

squid267

Mar 25, 2009
Worcester
Sorry to bump an old thread But has anyone tried the induction back cover sold by verzion for the charge and used it with any mods with the touchstone "puck" wireless charger? Thanks

u010679

Feb 5, 2007
Bump. Vzw Droid charge inductive backs are on eBay ~$14usd. If compatable would be easy fix.

Edit: ordered the pieces, will try out and update. Curious if the contact points can be removed to use for other Verizon inductive ready devices like s3.

Last edited:

u010679

Feb 5, 2007
No dice. Official verixon droid charge back and oem palm touch stone.

Have to still test it with a multi meter, so stay tuned. It might be as simple as palm has the opposite polarity then the verixon charging pad.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update #2:
    Just ordered another touchstone to play with. They're $3 cheaper through verizon if you have a corporate discount :) I'm gonna see about adding some neodymium magnets to this mix in order to hold the phone while its in a case. This is gonna require drilling into the original magnet (yes... even though there's 4 magnet contact points, theres just one big honking magnet in the touchstone which acts as both magnet and ferrite core for the induction coil. There's some pretty cool engineering going on in this thing) which should be fun. It turns out that the phone will charge through a really thin case (like a gel case or a cheap amazon two piece case) but just not through the stock verizon or thicker case.

Update #1:
    Well... it works!!!! There wasn't any strange hitches with the setup. The wireless charge ports on the back do as they're supposed to, and the pre induction pickup works through the droid charge case. The hardest part was finding the right material for the contact points (I'll post an update later with more details about how I did this... ). The only drawbacks to this mod are that your charge is now about 1mm thicker on the back and the induction charging does NOT work through a case (at least the stock verizon case with kickstand). That being said, this mod is completely reversible (unlike every other pre induction charger to X phone mod) so you don't lose your warranty (or even your back cover).
    attachment.php

Parts List:
    1x Palm Pre Touchstone Charging Dock, cable and power adapter
    1x Palm Pre Touchstone Back Cover
    some wire
    a soldering iron and solder
    patience

Total cost of materials comes out to ~$15

Instructions:
    (0) If you don't know your way around a soldering iron or multimeter then I highly suggest you stop here and get some help doing this. The likelihood of damage to your phone is low, but doing something stupid like flipping the polarities or shorting your charge wires WILL probably fry something, either the pre induction charger, your phone, or both. I am most definitely not responsible for any mishaps or stupidity on your part. You have been warned!

1) Separate the induction coil, circult, and metal circles from the back of the Palm Pre. You're gonna have to do some digging with a screwdriver as they're stuck on pretty tight, but once you start peeling it comes off pretty easy.

2) make contacts for the Charge in order to reach the "wireless charging" port on the back. This is the hardest step by far. I ended up using some long 8mil circuit board headers that I bent, cut, and trimmed to size (see pictures for how I did the bending). I'm not sure if I recommend doing it my way as this still isn't an ideal setup, but it works. The important thing to remember is that there's about 1mm or less of clearance between the phone-side contacts and the case, so plan accordingly. Again, look at my pictures for a basic idea of how to make the contacts work, but remember that what I did IS NOT IDEAL.
    attachment.php

3) place the contacts carefully on the phone in the correct position. Its easier to line them up on the phone than it is to guesstimate their position on the case.

4) put a small piece of tape on the back of the pre induction charger (see picture for tape location, it should be on the non-sticky side) and lay this CAREFULLY and STICKY SIDE UP onto the position you want on the back of the phone. Make sure you have not moved your contacts when you laid this down. At this point you don't need to press anything down yet, so just gently placing it is fine as long as its in the right position.

5) gently and without moving anything snap the cover back on. Press tightly, then carefully remove the cover. Everything you just placed (especially the contacts) should still be in the same place. If not, you're gonna have to start over at least with the contacts.

6) Press everything down tight, and permanently secure the contacts to the back of the cover (or in my case, the back of the pre induction charger sticky piece). a dab of superglue should be plenty.

7) solder the wires from the induction charger circuit to the contacts. Positive at toward the top of the phone, ground is toward the bottom of the phone. On the induction charger if you flip it like I did then positive is toward the top and ground is toward the bottom as well.

8) TEST TEST TEST. Get a volt meter and make sure you're getting ~5.5v from your contacts when you put the back cover on the touchstone. If not, then you did something wrong. My mistake the first time was not putting all the sticky layers back together in the correct order. It goes black sticky layer, silver sticky layer, then coil. The coil should be sitting directly on the plastic of the cover. The order is important! Also, make sure that your polarities are correct (positive top, gnd bottom).

9) Snap everything back together and put the phone on the touchstone. It should register immediately as wireless charging. Voila la! Wireless charging for $15 on the Droid Charge! Now go get a beer and take a nap :p

Now I need some sleep... Ask any questions you want and I'll try to be helpful, and maybe tomorrow I'll put up a proper tutorial with pictures on how to do this. Till then... take a gander at the pictures of the final product :)

Introduction:
    Dunno why I haven't seen this on the droid charge forums yet, but I've just bought the parts for a palm pre induction charger grafted onto a droid charge. The way I see it, the charge (and the thunderbolt) are perfect phones for this as verizon has kindly provided us with inductive charger contact points already :) But wait you ask... why am I going through all this trouble when there's already an induction charger available for the Droid Charge? Simple. I really didn't want to pay over $50 for an induction charger, so $15 for a touchstone + pre backplate seemed like a good compromise. My only concern at this point is the rather limited spacing between the back cover and the battery. I'm gonna have to do some testing to see if I can actually wedge the charger in there (probably not... seeing as how verizon had to make a slightly thicker back for their charger) or if I'm gonna have to do some fancy cutting to the stock back. Stay tuned...