[GUIDE] How to extract RUU & manually flash rom.zip HTC One M7

Search This thread

DigiCowboy

Apr 15, 2011
Lifesaver

I was about to give up hope - THANKS!!!!!! Revived my HTC One from the dead with your technique. I had accidentally (and stupidly) completely wiped phone. O/S and backup.

Feb 26, 2014
Tampa
Can someone post a screenshot of their command window output with a successful flash via this method? I got the output below, which I'm guessing wasn't the "correct" error. I ran the flash command again and left it for 15 - 20 min without any output or change on my phone before ctrl+c-ing.

C:\phone\platform_tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip C:\phone\platform_tools\platform-tools\RUU_M7_WL_JB43_SENSE50_VZW_MR_VERIZON_WWE_2.10.605.1_Radio_1.12.41.1112_2_NV_VZW_3.71_002_release_341019_signed_2.zip
target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
sending 'zip' (1232586 KB)...
OKAY [ 93.169s]
writing 'zip' ...
(bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
(bootloader) signature checking...
(bootloader) rom parsing start ...
(bootloader) rom parsing finish ...
(bootloader) zip header checking...
(bootloader) zip info parsing...
(bootloader) Read zipped android_info fail
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finsihed. total time: 230.993s

electronical

Aug 13, 2013
Can someone post a screenshot of their command window output with a successful flash via this method? I got the output below, which I'm guessing wasn't the "correct" error. I ran the flash command again and left it for 15 - 20 min without any output or change on my phone before ctrl+c-ing.

C:\phone\platform_tools\platform-tools>fastboot flash zip C:\phone\platform_tools\platform-tools\RUU_M7_WL_JB43_SENSE50_VZW_MR_VERIZON_WWE_2.10.605.1_Radio_1.12.41.1112_2_NV_VZW_3.71_002_release_341019_signed_2.zip
OKAY [ 93.169s]
writing 'zip' ...

I haven't personally encountered that particular error before, but that line "(bootloader) Read zipped android_info fail" seems to indicate that your zip might be corrupt or not compatible with your phone's CID and MID. Read all the steps in the guide again and verify.

Feb 26, 2014
Tampa
I haven't personally encountered that particular error before, but that line "(bootloader) Read zipped android_info fail" seems to indicate that your zip might be corrupt or not compatible with your phone's CID and MID. Read all the steps in the guide again and verify.

Yeah, I made sure that the MID and CID match my phone. I should say that I am S on and bootloader locked but figured I'd give it a try anyway to roll back from 4.4.2 Kitkat.

jefbuan

Sep 22, 2010
ruh

OKAY [ 93.169s]
writing 'zip' ...

you must use hboot 1.44...im having the same errors before but after flashing correct hboot it restore without errors..

Feb 26, 2014
Tampa
you must use hboot 1.44...im having the same errors before but after flashing correct hboot it restore without errors..

Are you saying that the RUU I try to flash needs to have hboot 1.44 or that my phone's hboot needs to be 1.44? I'm running Kitkat with hboot 1.56 (rev update 11, I believe) and the RUU I'm trying to flash says hboot rev 3.

nonnkw

Mar 8, 2014
help

Please i need help..

I tried the process and it failed.
My HTC is
cidnum: BM__001
modelid PN0712000

But the RUU i have that i am using.

cidnum: Telus001
modelid PN0712000

That is the only difference.

I'm stuck i need help

blockchord

Mar 13, 2014
I Really Need Your Help

Note that if you open the rom.zip with Winzip/Winrar said:
I have a droid incredible 4g but from a carrier in Puerto Rico that Uses The Same phones and almost everything is the same as verizon except for the "custom id" just one word in the android info txt file that changes from VZW__001 to OPENM001. The carrier's name is open mobile, my phone is next to bricked and i just bught it a few days back from a frined. The ruu process in the command prompt fails because of that tiny difference. I need to acces that zip file and change just that word in order for the ruu to work on my dvice. Please help. What steps do I follow on linux? my email is marioalbertoroman@yahoo.com i would be super grateful if you could help me out

s_rupainwar

Apr 9, 2014
Pune
Need RUU for my HTC ONE

These are my HTC One details, I tried using htc1guru.com/dld/ruu_m7_ul_k44_sense55_mr_brightstarus_wwe_4-19-1540-9_radio_4a-23-3263-28_10-38r-1157-04l_release_353887_signed_3-exe/[/url] but it gave image error. Can anyone provide me the correct RUU file

version: 0.5
version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
version-baseband: 4A.23.3263.28
version-cpld: None
version-microp: None
version-main: 4.19.1540.4
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
serialno: HT367W910917
imei: 354439059958431
meid: 00000000000000
product: m7_ul
platform: HBOOT-8064
modelid: PN0712000
cidnum: BS_US001
battery-status: good
battery-voltage: 4150mV
partition-layout: Generic
security: on
build-mode: SHIP
boot-mode: FASTBOOT
commitno-bootloader: dirty-076e0e17
hbootpreupdate: 11
gencheckpt: 0

ReeLT

Dec 22, 2010
Pyongyang
Is it possible to get out recovery.img from a official rom.zip file for OneX+?
I have a half bricked OneX+ Vodafone UK and it doesn't show the IMEI number. I want to flash it via Y Cable with latest official rom: PM35IMG_ENRC2B_U_JB_50_S_Vodafone_UK_2.17.161.2_Radio_3.1204.169D3.33_release_329050_signed.zip (got it from a friend,who works in the authorized HTC service center).
I tried relocking bootloader and flashing it,but it always fails at signature verification. So now I'm looking for stock recovery from this exact rom or for someone,who can help me extract it from this rom.
So this is the only option I have left. Any help?

shalomsa

May 4, 2014
fastboot flash zip

hello
this is what i get after fastboot flash zip , it writ that everiting OK but the devis is Black and white dots like snow
Unable to reboot or Bootloader
Any suggestions?

./fastboot flash zip /root/PN0720000.zip
sending 'zip' (1027200 KB)...
OKAY [ 35.194s]
writing 'zip'...
(bootloader) checking model ID...
(bootloader) checking custom ID...
(bootloader) start image[hboot] unzipping & flushing...
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,0
(bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,100
(bootloader) ...... Successful
OKAY [ 1.716s]
finished. total time: 36.916s
[root@localhost platform-tools]# ./fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 5.037s

Apr 27, 2014
Pls Help on RUU

Could someone pls help me find my correct RUU:

C:\Users\Anne\Desktop\onedriversfastboot>fastboot
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.25.3263.21
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.401.11
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: FA36MW908112
(bootloader) imei: 357864052846183
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__J15
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3883mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-4dab9d12
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.052s

Need Help desperately.

Thanks!!

arooni

Aug 15, 2011
I'd like to do this but...

I keep getting these error messages:

sudo fastboot flash zip rom.zip
Invalid sparse file format at header magi
error: write_sparse_skip_chunk: don't care size 41925031 is not a multiple of the block size 4096
fastboot: ../libsparse/sparse.c:143: write_all_blocks: Assertion `pad >= 0' failed.

what to do now?
thanks!

S7atem

Jun 15, 2014
HTC One
Tamperd
Relocked

S-ON
Cidnum HTC_Y13
Hboot: 1.54.0

I'm using this RUU:

RUU M7 UL K44 SENSE55 MR HTC Europe 4.19.401.9 R Radio 4A.23.3263.28 10.38r.1157.04L Release 353069 Signed 2-1

I double checked my fastboot connection, every thing seems to be working just fine.

Everytime i try to run it it get stuck at checking headers (5%)

Tried to manually flash using this guide, FAILED remote 02, data length is too large.

Any other suggested RUU ?, I'm really desperate at this

CDH81994

Jun 28, 2014
need some help

C:\android-sdk>fastboot flash zip C:/android-sdk/rom.zip
sending 'zip' (1029700 KB)...
OKAY [ 42.940s]
writing 'zip'...
finished. total time: 159.401s

I've tried putting the command again but get the some thing

These are my specs

(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.00.20.1108
(bootloader) version-main: 4.06.651.4
(bootloader) serialno: FA34XS903739
(bootloader) imei: 990001466732716
(bootloader) meid: 99000146673271
(bootloader) product: m7_wls
(bootloader) modelid: PN0720000
(bootloader) cidnum: SPCS_001
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4308mV

This is the ruu that I'm trying to use
Sprint_HTC_One_m7wls_1.29.651.7_RUU

Last edited:
D

darkarvan

Could someone pls help me find my correct RUU:

C:\Users\Anne\Desktop\onedriversfastboot>fastboot
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.25.3263.21
(bootloader) version-main: 4.19.401.11
(bootloader) serialno: FA36MW908112
(bootloader) imei: 357864052846183
(bootloader) modelid: PN0710000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__J15
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3883mV
finished. total time: 0.052s

Need Help desperately.

Thanks!!
http://androidruu.com/getdownload.p...10.38r.1157.04L_release_353069_signed_2-1.exe

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So, you may have made a bad flash, having trouble to S-OFF or just want to go back to 100% stock ROM and recovery. In that case, the easiest solution is to run your RUU (ROM Update Utility). But unlike the conventional method, this guide is about extracting the rom.zip from your RUU for a faster and more comprehensive installation. The extracted rom.zip will also allow the possibility to decrypt the RUU in order to get access to all the individual files inside the encrypted archive. So, if you want to flash, for example, only the stock recovery, you can do it without having to flash the entire RUU ROM, which will restore the phone's entire software.

Note: Your HTC One can be either S-ON or S-OFF in order to successfully flash RUU rom.zip. But if your device is S-OFF, you do not need to re/lock your bootloader.

Follow the instructions in the given order to avoid any hiccups or possible bricking of your device:
    1. You will need to know your HTC One's MID and CID. These codes will allow you to find the required RUU for your phone.
    You need adb and fastboot. Go to your Bootloader. Select Fastboot. Connect your HTC One with its original USB cable to your PC. Do:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar all
    and you should see a list of important information about your device. In particular, note the modelid (MID) and cidnum (CID). If you get nothing, there is an issue with the USB connection between your phone and PC.
    2. Find the correct RUU. Here's a thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2428276 to find the correct RUU from the filename but more importantly, make sure that both the MID and CID match exactly with your device. You also need to pay attention if you need the M7 UL or M7 U version, which is in the filename of the RUU. If you can't find your RUU from that site, just google or search on XDA. However, not all HTC One variants have RUUs. But if you are already S-OFF, you can change your MID and CID, which will allow you to use any RUU: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2322820
    3. Extract the RUU and grab the rom.zip file. This is the most important file you need from the RUU and afterwards you can delete the RUU exe if you want. To get the rom.zip from your RUU exe file, you just need to run the RUU exe file once, and then when the window is ready and waiting for you to press on the "Next" button, just leave it open and go to your temp folder. I'm using Windows XP SP3 32-bit and my temp folder is located at this path: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp
    Now, you will see several files and folders. Sort everything in that temp folder based on "Date Modified" with the most recent folder showing up above all other folders. This is the folder you want. The folder name will be bunch of letters and numbers. Inside that folder you will find several files, but what you need is rom.zip and android-info.txt. Copy both these files and paste them somewhere safe on your hard drive. The android-info.txt contains crucial information about the compatibility of that RUU for your phone. Here's the android-info.txt extracted from my RUU exe:
    Code:
    modelid: PN0711000
    cidnum: HTC__001
    cidnum: HTC__J15
    cidnum: HTC__A48
    cidnum: HTC__M27
    mainver: 1.29.401.2
    btype:1
    aareport:1
    DelCache:1
    hbootpreupdate:3
    You can then verify that you have the correct RUU if the modelid matches that of your phone and if you can see your cidnum in that list. If either (or both) of the modelid or cidnum does not match that of your phone, the RUU process will fail. The mainver is the firmware that is going to be flashed onto your phone.
    For easy reference, create a new folder and name it exactly like the RUU exe file and put the rom.zip and android-info.txt in there so you won't have trouble identifying that rom.zip file later if you need to flash it again. Now, you can close the RUU installation window and all the files in that temp folder containing rom.zip will be instantly erased. Note that if you open the rom.zip with Winzip/Winrar, you will see a list of all the files but if you try to extract or double-click to open any of these files, you will get an error saying that the file is corrupt. This warning is only due to the files being encrypted by HTC, since the RUU is an official release and is digitally signed. To access those encrypted files, you will need to decrypt them on Linux.
    4. Go to your bootloader. Do:
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    This will reboot your HTC One and you will see a black screen with a silver HTC logo.
    Now, you will need to access the rom.zip file and flash it. I have copied my rom.zip to my adb folder located at: C:/mini-sdk/rom.zip
    So, i type:
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip C:/mini-sdk/rom.zip
    Don't touch anything during the flash process. It will start and after some time, you will see FAILED error. Don't worry, it's the file preparation process if you have firmware higher than that of the RUU. Just do the same command again and the flash process will complete successfully this time. Look at the Command Prompt to know when the flash is complete. At the same time if you look at your phone, you will notice a green progress bar. When the flashing is complete on the Command Prompt, you will notice that the green bar is stuck at about 95%. This is normal. It's just a bug in the progress bar - what matters is the output from the Command Prompt window.
    5. Then, you reboot. Do:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    This will restart your phone. Let it boot up. It might take a little longer for the first boot up sequence. You will then have completely stock software (firmware & ROM). Go to your bootloader and check. Your S-ON/OFF and Bootloader lock/unlock are unchanged from before the RUU rom.zip flashing procedure. You can now also receive OTA updates.

I hope this has been helpful. Just press the THANKS button! :good:
    If you're S-OFF you do NOT need to relock the bootloader to flash an RUU - just putting that out there :)
    Hello I know this is an old thread but I am hoping someone can help me with this problem I am having, i am trying to flash my M7at&t PN0712000 cidnum: CWS__001 manualy by the command prompt
    I have all my files in a folder on C:\Android-adb
    but when I do the fastboot command to install the rom zip I am getting this error message,
    "C:\Android-adb>fastboot flash zip C:/Android-adb/rom.zip
    load_file: could not allocate 1556101543 bytes
    error: cannot load 'C:/Android-adb/rom.zip'"
    can someone tell me what I am doing wrong, thanks very much advance

The filename/location is wrong.

Try this:
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip rom.zip
    Bro I m on bootloop how will I now update my Filmfare version futher just help me to recover from boot loop please:silly:

You only need to boot in ruu mode to update the firmware.

IF your bootloader is unlocked, re-lock it:
    Code:
    fastboot oem lock
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
    fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

then flash the ruu:
    Code:
    htc_fastboot oem rebootRUU
    htc_fastboot flash zip ruu.zip
    htc_fastboot reboot

7.21.707.105 firmware:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95916177934556097

7.21.707.105 ruu and htc_fastboot:
    http://xdaforums.com/htc-one/general/lollipop-ruu-zip-small-collection-t3053944

if you want your phone to be s-off, better to do it now because it will be harder to do after updating.

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 AM ----------

can this method be used to downgrade bootloader version?

You must have s-off to downgrade hboot.

If yes, zip the desired hboot with the appropriate android-info.txt together and flash in ruuu mode.
    You will need a Windows PC to flash any lollipop ruu.zip because it must be flashed using htc_fastboot.exe (.exe = Windows only) because the fastboot version from the sdk-tools can't handle a 1.5gb file. This will solve your first problem
    Second problem to come, you need at least hboot 1.57 and the version-main to be at least 6.xx.xxx.x to flash a Lillpop (7.xx.xxx.x RUU) so you'll have to update your firmware before flashing the RUU. Flash this (Sorry I had to omit your link so that I could post. This is my first post.) and then flash your 7.xx.1540.xx RUU.

Hey All. Hey Alray I hope you are still monitoring this thread and can help me. I have had my One M7 AT&T variant for just about two years now and don't ask me why but I juuuust decided to update it. This all started with me trying to update it to the official RUU 7.23.502.4 from HTC's website. It kept failing with a 158 error message. It was completely stock 4.1.2 JB locked bootloader, unrooted and S-On. I managed to run the RUU 3.17.502.3 exe successfully, which the phone is still running. Next I tried to run the RUU 4.18.502.7 and got a 155 unknown error. Same error message also when I tried to run the RUU 7.23.502.4 exe. I have been trying to flash the rom.zip files for the KitKat and Lollipop RUUs via fastboot which keep failing with the same "Invalid sparse file format at header magi" error. However since I saw your advice that you have to use htc_fastboot to flash the large rom.zip files from htc, I tried using it with the extracted rom.zip, android-info.txt and htc_fastboot files from the KitKat 4.18.502.7 RUU but I now have a new error :eek: (See below):

C:\Users\bobby\Downloads\AndroidDT\sdk\platform-tools>htc_fastboot flash zip rom
    .zip
    sending 'zip'... (42217 KB) OKAY
    writing 'zip'... (bootloader) adopting the signature contained in this image...
    Execution time is 10(s)

Just for clarification here is my current device info:
    C:\Users\bobby\Downloads\AndroidDT\sdk\platform-tools>fastboot getvar all
    (bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.55.0000
    (bootloader) version-baseband: 4A.19.3263.13
    (bootloader) version-main: 3.17.502.3
    (bootloader) serialno: (omitted)
    (bootloader) imei: (omitted)
    (bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
    (bootloader) cidnum: CWS__001
    (bootloader) battery-voltage: 4047mV
    (bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-2da61e5e88
    finished. total time: 0.049s

Can you advise me on what to do next please? :fingers-crossed:
    You need at least hboot 1.57 (version-main 6.xx.502.x) to flash a 7.xx.502.x ruu. Best way imo is with s-off so you can convert to another version and get rid of the AT&T software and receive ota updates (dev edition or unlocked wwe)

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Labs