[REF] Task 29 (format) without drivers, without mtty.

Search This thread

ShaDrac

Nov 25, 2008
www.whitebirdsolutions.com
Task 28 & Task 29 both formats nand.

Task 28 formats FATFS (storage memory)
Task 29 formats BINFS (where our XIP is and the files we cooked in to a rom)

You could check with MTTY to see what clusters get formatted and notice the difference between task 28 & task 29.

Task 28 would be comparable with an hard reset.

So you need both Task 28 & Task 29!

With only using the RomUpdateUtility from a shipped rom to flash my custom rom gave me still some instabilities.
This happened most of the time when there were files in the rom (that I wanted to flash) were older than the files already on the rom of my phone.

It seems that you can only flash newer files that way.

Maybe an shipped rom starts RomUpdateUtility with some parameters?
Would be interesting (if someone had the time) to investigate.

Enjoy!

ShaDrac

cliver

Feb 11, 2010
Potton, Sandy, Bedfordshire
From your question, you are definitely not a noob :)
1.The radio is just flashed so "something gets done" as the ruu needs some activity. Its just a stubborn prerequisite at the moment, task 29 doesn't format the radio. As someone mentioned you could just go ahead and use a splash screen flash not even a radio, which takes even less time.
2. There is nothing wrong with CustonRUU, when you finish using the above tool, then upon device restart boot in bootloader and go ahead with RUU and the rom of your choice. I know what might have confused you is the people saying why doesn't it task 29 then flash "automatically". Well its just laziness talking :p, Basically they want the it as one task and not 2 as its now. Now you do two things (although the first one is very very short), so its no biggie.

So to break it down into steps, maybe easier to understand (if I have this right):
Basically you have 3 choices currently (and are wishing for a 4th one):

a With the above tool:
1. this tool will first flash radio or splash screen or even rom (all of them are actually useless, but are necessary to perform, for the next step to work, and we opt for radio or splash screen as it takes a much shorter time than a rom)
2. it will perform task 29
3. On restart, enter boot loader (Vol up/down)
4. Radio will be fine, but there will be no rom on device (due to the above task), so you flash the rom of your choice.

b With MTTY:
1. (a) On Vista/Win7: go trough the headache of installing unsigned drivers (see MTTY guide) then install MTTY (sometimes windows update might reconfigure/overwrite these driver to the new ones on its own, so might have to perform this task every time you want to MTTY)
1. (b) On XP: just run MTTY
2. input MTTY commands in consul (tesk x, task y, etc.)
3. 3. On restart, enter boot loader (Vol up/down)
4. Radio will be fine, but there will be no rom on device (due to the above task), so you flash the rom of your choice.

c With stock rom
1. Flash stock rom (it takes a long time, but task 28 is performed, which seems to be just as good and some even argue its better)
2. Flash custom rom of your choice.

d. Not yet available The tool some are asking for (obviously would be good for all of us):
Run the fully automated tool/modified RUU which will:
1. Perform task 29
then
(maybe even automatically restart itself in bootloader)
2. flash custom rom.

I hope I have all this right, so might help some folks, more easily understand what this tool actually does. I haven't actually tried this new tool (waiting for a new rom), so might have gotten some points wrong. If so, please let me know and I will edit the steps.

Many thanks Oalex, much clearer in my mind now, great explanation. As I thought this is a great tool for doing just what I want, I don't mind having to do two things, it makes me feel needed ;)

Regards
Clive

Donald24

Aug 30, 2007
Friedrichshafen
Thank U!

No need for firing up VMware-WinXP to do task29 anymore!

I've just tried to inject an customrom.nbh into an official Rom.exe. Hm, seems to be not as easy as extracting, as totalcmd and winrar won't do that :p

So fail/safe procedure is for people with HSPL is:

1. Firing up your tool to do task 29
2. Loading custom rom (does not matter if ROMUpdateUtility.exe or CustomRom.ese)
3. Hardreset after flashing.

Anything I left out?

The exe is an self extracting zip file that automatic starts task29.
Every file in this exe (zip) are the files provided by doloop in the first post except the nbh (see post above).

Instruction: run the exe and follow the onscreen instructions.

TIP: on win7 x64 remember to "run as administrator". and you of course already temporarily disabled your virus scanner :)

DaveShaw

Senior Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007
Huddersfield
www.taeguk.co.uk
:confused: i have no idea what this do still :confused: and what this task29 is

It's the task after 28 and before 30 :D

EDIT: You know, I thought that thread would have the answer and was been funny, apparently not :eek:.

It performs a format of the BINFS (Binary File System). A normal Hard Reset (task 28) removes all the user data from your phone (anything stored on the device, not the Card / IS). task 29 formats a greater area, fixing problems that some badly created ROMs can cause. It removed your OS as well, so a task 29 on it's own will leave you with a phone that cannot boot. You need to put it in bootloader mode and flash a ROM then.

This little app helps do a task 29 as part of the flashing process - so you don't need to take the steps yourself.

All in all task 29 removes some problems caused by some custom ROMs (like random Hard Resets, weird bugs, etc).

HTH,
Dave

Last edited:

giorgos25

Feb 25, 2010
sorry for this noob question.....

before running task29.exe i have to connect device in bootloader mode or simply with activesync and device turned on?

Just activesync.
But before you even connect your phone to your pc run the task29.exe and you will see that it comes with build in instructions! :)

Have fun flashing!

ClydeB1

May 6, 2009
so it means i can change my Official Stock Rom of my hd2 with this process?
No, you will still need hspl or sspl in order to flash, this just helps to "format" the memory where the rom is stored and to help with a cleaner flash. It is similar to using MTTY, just easier, especially for Vista and W7 users. (Pity I've already installed all of the drivers on my W7 Ultimate :D)

BladeKnight

Feb 3, 2010
Cebu
No, you will still need hspl or sspl in order to flash, this just helps to "format" the memory where the rom is stored and to help with a cleaner flash. It is similar to using MTTY, just easier, especially for Vista and W7 users. (Pity I've already installed all of the drivers on my W7 Ultimate :D)[/QUO

tnx sir Clyde....heheheheheh you should have wait for this :)

turborider

Dec 1, 2009
North London
cant open and wont work on my sony vista lol

Attachments

• IMAG0027.jpg
    IMAG0027.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 198

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

(To make it short, follow the red sentence to format your phone to avoid roms problem.)

I hex-edited RomUpdateUtility.exe so it runs task 29 right after flashing ruu_signed.nbh
    Task 29 formats your phone memory (=binfs). It prevents weird error appearance when you flash new Roms.
    But you stile need something to flash, it may be a radio, a splashscreen nbh or a blank nbh file (shadrack repack provide a tiny blank nbh).

Usually you don't need anything more than the file provided in the packs. so:
    Just unzip and run task29.exe .
    Eventually, you may replace ruu_signed.nbh with the radio/splashscreen of your choice.
    When update status reach 99%, press vol down button, and keep it pressed until the phone reboot to the three color bootloader.
    After the phone reset itself, your old rom will be gone, so it can't boot to winmo: binfs has been formated, your phone memory is clean.
    if you fail to press vol down key and your phone get stuck on the white screen, just remove your battery, then try again: press power, and keep vol down pressed immediatly next, until the phone get to RVB bootloader.
    When your phone is back to RVB bootloader screen, use the leocustomruu.exe provided with your favorite rom package to flash a new rom, or flash it from memory card using standard procedure.

Repack by ShaDrac (Recommended):
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=5848003&postcount=19
    No radio needed, smaller, faster.

Video tutorial by [★]
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=621930 (Video 9: How To Perform A Task 29 Without MTTY)
    direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtTDuc4V4cU

To do:
    remove the "reset" command from task29.exe, to stay into boot loader screen. Then, one should flash the new rom immediatly using their cook's flash utility.

Original files
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J3OELQ8I
    RS mirror, by Sardelisp
    http://www.rapidshare.com/files/361617741/Radio_2.08.50.05___task29.zip

Edit, distribute, repack, comment and spread these files as much as you want.
    if someone could provide me with a blank, but valid nbh, then help me to repack all this stuff into a single exe, it should be a great step ahead.

You mean something like this? :D ;)

Attached Task29 into a single exe.

Enjoy!

ShaDrac
    So with this tool you can only flash the Radio? Then we have to use the other RUU_Custom.exe to flash the ROM?
    Just remember too much task29ing ain't a good habit to get in to ...
    http://www.datafilehost.com/download-62f6c755.html
    someone please tell me I can do a task 29 of some sort with no usb port, my micro usb is whacked and after changing roms a few times starting to become a little bit dodgy now :( please.

if you flash a stock rom from sdcard, a task29 is performed automatically.
    but if you flash stock rom from sdcard, hspl will overwritten with stock spl.
    you need to reinstall hspl after installing stock rom from sdcard.

@all:

in the meantime, another RUU from barin (Advanced ROM Update Utility) will do task automatically after flashing a custom rom.
    you can also perform only task 29 with advanced ruu.