[HOW TO] Unbrick your Sprint phone from flashing an International gsm boot image

Search This thread

Laterz.iphone

Oct 6, 2010
What did you do to brick the phone?

You could try getting a usb jig from ebay which may help you get into Download Mode. They only cost a few pounds so its worth a go.

What happens when you hold volume down + Home + Power button to try and get into Download Mode.

Do you get any lights on the phone at all?

Does your phone have any charge in it? Have you tried with the charger cable plugged in?

Mark.

I didnt get anything on it.. definitely bricked my phone. I took my phone back to best buy, and they gave me a new one. I lucked out big time.

Reactions: shaldi

adeyo

Mar 31, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
If you flashed over the bootloader I really dont know what you can try as I doubt the phone will be recognised. Do you get any lights or anything on the screen when you try to enter recovery, download or just power up?

If you have truly hard bricked it your only option is to take the phone back to where you bought it.

Mark.

same problem here...seems like no power...no download mode. flashed an international version as well and bricked. ALTHOUGH, when i plug the phone into a charger no lights, BUT if i plug phone into a charger w/o the battery, i get the red charging light. then i can put the battery in. if i put the battery in or not, the red light goes out after 5 min.

funny thing though, my computer recognizes something when i plug my phone into a usb cable connected to my computer. it does the ba-ding noise and says can't recognize device. i have a jig and used it then tried going the odin route, but odin is still not recognizing it. Any thoughts or tips to get odin to see it????

Thanks!

punwik

Jan 9, 2011
Dallas
I tried flashing cm10 last night and it erased my internal memory so now when i try to restore a back up or flash l get data log not found. so the phone cant bring up data that was erased! when I try an flash a new rom or odin to a stock rom the same thing occurrs and I get to the boot animation and its stuck!

What can I do to put the data back on the internal sd?

loaferkan

Oct 16, 2007
New York
lol I loaded the file into the bootloader, am I 100% screwed? seem like the Samsung Galaxy SIII logo is sticking there forever?

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

okay my phone was not brick, but here is what happen, so the situation I'm in, maybe someone can help?

First see where I'm standing...My phone is at the Samsung GALAXY SIII, it wouldn't move from here...

Now how I got here, where I was flashing and flashing, and I did some more flashing....and then decided that I think I need to format everything so I can get all the bugs out...so First I made a back up of everything to my External SD card, still has all the files there...

then I formatted the Phone Memory, the SD Card, that came with the phone, the 16GB internal memory, the whole system etc...any place i found format in the recovery I did it...I didn't format the External SD card, because I knew I had back up there...

I even did your thing, and kind of downloaded it, and even flash it as you instructed, but still standing on the Galaxy SIII...anyway I can get mount the system or something, where I can put the ROM file into the main SD card, instead of the external SD CARD?

thanks...

imbadmin

Jun 19, 2008
have a sprint galaxy s 3 here.
someone tried to flash an international rom therefor flashing the gsm stuff.

i cant access download mode at all however i did install the QHSUSB_drivers.

now with odin 3.07 the .com box will not light up however on previous versions of odin for ex odin v1.85 the .com box will light. im trying to flash the cdma bootloader for the sprint version and it doesnt fail just hangs at setup connection.

any ideas?

Where did you find the drivers? I am having the same issue. You mind posting the link here, please?

Triskite

Where did you find the drivers? I am having the same issue. You mind posting the link here, please?

I had the same issue (gsm img flashed... lol) and thought I couldn't get into download mode - thought I had tried everything - but got it working holding vol down // home and power for a few seconds (timing seems to have mattered)

It's possible that my battery was fully dead before - I stopped in a TMobile store and talked the guy into trading me a new battery for my old one.

m20120

Oct 31, 2008
Northern VA
I searched the internet and found the drivers, ODIN still doesn't recognize my S3.

Wonder if anyone found a fix for this yet?

Are you able to get your phone to boot into Download Mode? Odin will not connect to your phone unless you are in download mode. What happens when you try to power on the phone? Or if you connect it to your PC? Do you see the phone (or any device in Device Manager)?

If you flashed an international ROM then it is likely that you are hard bricked and you can not get into download mode. If that is the case you will have to get the phone replaced or send it off to a service that does "brick repair".

tenebrion

Jul 8, 2008
www.tmdrake.com
Are you able to get your phone to boot into Download Mode? Odin will not connect to your phone unless you are in download mode. What happens when you try to power on the phone? Or if you connect it to your PC? Do you see the phone (or any device in Device Manager)?

If you flashed an international ROM then it is likely that you are hard bricked and you can not get into download mode. If that is the case you will have to get the phone replaced or send it off to a service that does "brick repair".

I think your second option may be my only option atm....I believe i did the unthinkable (after all years of loading custom roms), loaded the international version...I did research the image i loaded was 9300 not 710 (oops).

I do see:
Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008 in the device manager......

Last edited:

thanhxvo

Oct 12, 2011
I think your second option may be my only option atm....I believe i did the unthinkable (after all years of loading custom roms), loaded the international version...I did research the image i loaded was 9300 not 710 (oops).

I do see:
Qualcomm HS-USB QDloader 9008 in the device manager......

lol well my friend you are not alone. I just did the unthinkable today too. I am still kicking myself for it. How can i be so careless? I think I might just need to buy a new phone sigh lol

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
lol well my friend you are not alone. I just did the unthinkable today too. I am still kicking myself for it. How can i be so careless? I think I might just need to buy a new phone sigh lol
Can you not get into Download Mode or do you not get any life from your phone?

Mark.

guitarman4535

Apr 9, 2010
Can you not get into Download Mode or do you not get any life from your phone?

Mark.

Hey Mark,
I have read this entire post. I have the Sprint S3. I flash an international i9300 rom. Now I get no lights at all. I had 73% on my phone battery when it was last alive.

I was hoping someone found some magic fix for this as I have the 32gb version which means I may need to Sprint to fix this... unless anyone has come up with a fix.

BubZX

Jul 5, 2011
Hey Mark,
I have read this entire post. I have the Sprint S3. I flash an international i9300 rom. Now I get no lights at all. I had 73% on my phone battery when it was last alive.

I was hoping someone found some magic fix for this as I have the 32gb version which means I may need to Sprint to fix this... unless anyone has come up with a fix.

Flashing an international Rom on a Sprint gs3 equals hard brick.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium

mskip

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 20, 2008
Norfolk
if only this were to work when you have a Hard bricked GS3. :(
This will only work if you have soft bricked your device (flashing an incorrect boot image). If you flashed a complete firmware image and the bootloader was overwritten then you will not be able to enter download mode to relfash any images. If you can enter download mode then there is still hope.

This is why there are warning posted all over the development forums stating not to flash anything that isnt made specifically for your model as it can lead to an expensive paper weight.

Mark.

Reactions: black2rob

smartbeatz

Aug 31, 2008
Tampa
I woke up this morning and checked for a new version of cyanogen 10 and when it went to reboot it got stuck in reboot. The phone will not go into recovery and I can only get it in download mode... I assume that I would only be able to use Odin at this point but what files and will I lose my backups?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone with a bricked phone from flashing the gsm boot image, flash this via Odin as a PDA.

It will flash a stock boot image back to your device.

1. Extract Odin files to a folder from the attachment.

How to get into Download Mode (For Odin)
    1. Unplug the USB cable.
    2. Shut down the phone.
    3. Hold down the 'HOME' + 'VOLUME DOWN' buttons and press the 'POWER' button for about 2 seconds until a WARNING! Screen appears. Press the 'VOLUME UP' button to enter Download Mode.

2. Tick 'Auto Reboot' and 'F. Reset Time' in Odin and nothing else.

3. Download the boot image and load into Odin as a PDA.

4. Click on Start to flash the image.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?46fwjutr74j3v6a

DO NOT UNZIP THE BOOT TAR FILE, FLASH IT AS IT IS.

Mark.
    Now if we can get your toolkit........

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm working on it I should have adb root done tonight and will post that before starting work on a cross platform toolkit.

Mark.
    This is going to help a bunch of people out I am sure :)

Great contribution. :)

Thanks.
    Myn,

Are you on board with the SGS3? If so, then bro that just made me even happier I purchased this device! :D

Can't wait to see a Warm rom you cook up for this bad boy. :fingers-crossed:

I really appreciate your work, Thanks man..

Yes sir.

Jeff (Incubus) is getting one as well.

We're ridiculously anxious to get going on the next Warm ROM :)
    This is going to help a bunch of people out I am sure :)

Great contribution. :)

Thanks.

Myn,

Are you on board with the SGS3? If so, then bro that just made me even happier I purchased this device! :D

Can't wait to see a Warm rom you cook up for this bad boy. :fingers-crossed:

I really appreciate your work, Thanks man..