[FIX][SOLVED]Status 7 Error with CWM or TWRP Recovery on Rooted Android!

How U like my 1st post?

• Awesome

Votes: 208 53.7%
  • Not bad

Votes: 55 14.2%
  • Good

Votes: 80 20.7%
  • Awful

Votes: 44 11.4%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Mark Baroudy

Jun 14, 2015
Can not find those lines .

hello ,I did exactly as the steps , but when opened the text there were not script to be removed .. no assert to .....
what can I do in this situation ??

flytokamal

Aug 21, 2009
after doing the above mentioned also i am getting instalation aborted message. No it is not showing any error message.
Xperia P LT22i

piyush_v_n

Aug 15, 2015
Not able to solve status 7 message

Hi Guys,

I have samsung galaxy note n 7000. I have rooted the phone using ODIN. I try to install "cm-Resurrection_Remix_LP_v5.2.5-20141225-n7000_org" many times but it always shows status 7. I have also tried updating "updater-script" but still same error.
Please let me know how to resolve this issue.

MhikeiMPC12

Aug 18, 2015
Toronto
Thanks bro. i thought u had to rename it to d2can in build.prop

---------- Post added at 03:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 AM ----------

hello ,I did exactly as the steps , but when opened the text there were not script to be removed .. no assert to .....
what can I do in this situation ??
go to Settings>About Phone
and look for the model number for your device. for samsungs it would be something like:
d2can, or d2att. so once u find that, note it down. then, go and unzip the .zip rom and go to
System>Build.prop
open it, and open with any note editing software
MAKE SURE THE CHECKMARK ISNT CHECKED
imgur dot com/dC6TUvT

and replace the model number. heres the area u need to replace the model number:
The ones outlined in both red and brown are the most important outlines
i dot imgur dot com/UKbKblA

And just save it and rezip, and try again.

Sorry for this post; it wasnt very detailed, and its not guaranteed to work, so backup the build.prop.

dot means "." i couldnt insert it because i cant post links until i hit 10 posts

Slimegod

Mar 12, 2011
I'm getting a "E: Error executing updater binary in zip" error. Anyone know of a fix? I'm on TWRP 2.8.6.0. Downgrading recoveries didn't help either. Kinda made it worse cause I couldn't install my backup.

droyd.014

Oct 31, 2015
Works!

Thanks for the detailed guide! It works!
though i followed also some setup in cwm before flashing.
here what i did before flashing the modified zip:

WIPE
data
cache
dalvik cache

FORMAT
system
data
cache
data and /data/media

MOUNT
system
data
sdcard1

Install the ROM and gapps zip files

UNMOUNT
data
system
sdcard1

Reboot

DONE :good:​

Abdur Desai

Feb 21, 2014
Guys this is still not working for me :( Ive tried moving to philz recovery but it still doesnt work. Same status 7 error.

kvino55

Apr 10, 2015
force windows explorer to show all extensions

Open up the txt file that you made. Then go to Save As and then for File Type select "All Files" and then for the File Name remove the .TXT so its just updater-script and not updater-script.txt then repack

Go to file explorer settings, under tools, go and deselect hide formats and extensions.

shayo

Mar 15, 2016
Not sure if i should bump this thread but since i had issues with it this might be a huge help for people...
i got an LG G3 and i had problems with error 7 and i tried this method which didnt work.. BUT after installing a new kernel through TWRP it did let me install the unedited version of the rom as if nothing happened. now it still says zip files might not be compatible BUT they do install without a problem. SO kernel people... KERNEL!

Reactions: k3holic

Sago7

Oct 21, 2009
For the record.

This didn't work for me.

I was trying to flash AICP (aicp_peregrine_mm-11.0-NIGHTLY-20160620) with TRWP 3.
Solved after wipe cache , dalvik cache and system. Without modifications to the rom files.

noxx2

Dec 7, 2011
cant flash samsung s4 mini with CM 13 and TWRP 3.0.2.1.

--> Error 7

wipe cache, dalvik and system dont solve this problem, to edit the rom works. thx

Annu101

Nov 2, 2015
One error gone another came

I did all steps carefully, and when i try to flash the rom, it comes up with error 6, error in updating binary zip
Please help out.

jayjay2288

Jun 9, 2016
atlanta
i have a tablet 4 8.0 t337a (t337azwa) rooted it and now will not boot all the way up gets stuck at the AT&T logo, fond rom for it and while installing gave me the status 7 error before it gave the status 7 message, now after i took out the assert and along with the other steps when i go to load it on to the device it says fingerprint is wrong do you think i can send you the file /rom for my device and you change it and send it back to me I'm screwing up some how or something can you please help me out

jayjay2288

Jun 9, 2016
atlanta
Thanks for the detailed guide! It works!
though i followed also some setup in cwm before flashing.
here what i did before flashing the modified zip:

WIPE
cache
dalvik cache

FORMAT
system
data
cache
data and /data/media

MOUNT
system
data
sdcard1

Install the ROM and gapps zip files

UNMOUNT
data
system
sdcard1

Reboot

DONE :good:​
it started to install then status 7 popped back up any other ideas i'v been trying to get this working for bout 3 months and thank u for the reply

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    When installing certain custom ROMs on rooted Android smartphones or tablets, you will encounter “Status 7″ error issues once in awhile with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.

Status 7 error is caused while the ROM’s updater script file checks to see if the phone model of your phone is compatible with the ROM you are installing, called “asserts”.

“Asserts” is a safety mechanism so you don’t accidentally install another phone model ROM on your phone. E.g. You tried to install Galaxy S2 ROM on a Galaxy S3 and ending up hard-bricking your phone but you got Status 7 error which saved you.

Now, this safety mechanism is great but there are times where even if you have the correct ROM for your phone, you will get Status 7 error.

This is due to an error by the developer of the ROM in the updater script, causing havoc, making people install another custom recovery like TWRP recovery for no reason.

You can fix the issue by installing TWRP recovery but if you need to restore your CWM backups later down the line, you will have to re-install CWM recovery, causing a big hassle.

Also, if you update to the latest CWM Recovery using ROM Manager, usually this problem is fixed.

But what if you did update to the latest CWM Recovery and still happens? And yes, it does happen even when you update your CWM recovery.

If you simply don’t want to change your recovery (because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) or you still get Status 7 error after changing recovery, you can simply edit the updater script yourself to get rid of the asserts.

All you need is a computer and a zipping program! (You might be able to even do it on your Android device with AndroZip and text editor but I haven’t tried yet.)
    MAKE SURE THE ROM YOU ARE INSTALLING IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR ANDROID DEVICE AS INSTALLING WRONG ROM CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

Before we begin, e.g. Make sure if you are installing a ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3, the ROM zip file you downloaded is for AT&T Galaxy S3 not for Verizon Galaxy S3.

Step 1. Copy the ROM zip file to your computer and extract it using your favorite unzipping software.
    71.PNG

72.PNG

Step 2. Once unzipped, browse to the META-INF/com/google/android directory. You will find two files called “update-binary” and “updater-script”.
    73.PNG

Step 3. Rename “updater-script” to “updater-script.txt” and open with your favorite text file editor.
    74.PNG

Step 4. Get rid of the line starting with “assert” to next semi-colon. Usually this is the first line or one of the first lines at the top of the text file. Just delete them.
    5e70c76242c3.png

Step 5. Save file.
    8c44068ac2f4.png

Step 6. Rename “updater-script.txt” back to “updater-script”.
    200ad781582f.png

Step 7. Rezip all the files you’ve unzipped.
    1859ac5f5f29.png

bd453c44dcc8.png

Step 8. Copy the new, edited zip file to your phone.
    c2fa6516847c.png

Step 9. Try re-installing ROM, now it should install fine without Status 7 error.

When I tried to rename it, it stayed as a text file. It didn't revert back to the original file.
    A
    AndroTix
    When installing certain custom ROMs on rooted Android smartphones or tablets, you will encounter “Status 7″ error issues once in awhile with ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery.

Status 7 error is caused while the ROM’s updater script file checks to see if the phone model of your phone is compatible with the ROM you are installing, called “asserts”.

“Asserts” is a safety mechanism so you don’t accidentally install another phone model ROM on your phone. E.g. You tried to install Galaxy S2 ROM on a Galaxy S3 and ending up hard-bricking your phone but you got Status 7 error which saved you.

Now, this safety mechanism is great but there are times where even if you have the correct ROM for your phone, you will get Status 7 error.

This is due to an error by the developer of the ROM in the updater script, causing havoc, making people install another custom recovery like TWRP recovery for no reason.

You can fix the issue by installing TWRP recovery but if you need to restore your CWM backups later down the line, you will have to re-install CWM recovery, causing a big hassle.

Also, if you update to the latest CWM Recovery using ROM Manager, usually this problem is fixed.

But what if you did update to the latest CWM Recovery and still happens? And yes, it does happen even when you update your CWM recovery.

If you simply don’t want to change your recovery (because if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it) or you still get Status 7 error after changing recovery, you can simply edit the updater script yourself to get rid of the asserts.

All you need is a computer and a zipping program! (You might be able to even do it on your Android device with AndroZip and text editor but I haven’t tried yet.)
    MAKE SURE THE ROM YOU ARE INSTALLING IS COMPATIBLE WITH YOUR ANDROID DEVICE AS INSTALLING WRONG ROM CAN BRICK YOUR DEVICE!

Before we begin, e.g. Make sure if you are installing a ROM on AT&T Galaxy S3, the ROM zip file you downloaded is for AT&T Galaxy S3 not for Verizon Galaxy S3.

Step 1. Copy the ROM zip file to your computer and extract it using your favorite unzipping software.
    71.PNG

72.PNG

Step 2. Once unzipped, browse to the META-INF/com/google/android directory. You will find two files called “update-binary” and “updater-script”.
    73.PNG

Step 3. Rename “updater-script” to “updater-script.txt” and open with your favorite text file editor.
    74.PNG

Step 4. Get rid of the line starting with “assert” to next semi-colon. Usually this is the first line or one of the first lines at the top of the text file. Just delete them.
    5e70c76242c3.png

Step 5. Save file.
    8c44068ac2f4.png

Step 6. Rename “updater-script.txt” back to “updater-script”.
    200ad781582f.png

Step 7. Rezip all the files you’ve unzipped.
    1859ac5f5f29.png

bd453c44dcc8.png

Step 8. Copy the new, edited zip file to your phone.
    c2fa6516847c.png

Step 9. Try re-installing ROM, now it should install fine without Status 7 error.
    When I tried to rename it, it stayed as a text file. It didn't revert back to the original file.

Open up the txt file that you made. Then go to Save As and then for File Type select "All Files" and then for the File Name remove the .TXT so its just updater-script and not updater-script.txt then repack
    Thank you very much for the reply!! However, that didn't work. When I removed what you suggested, and removed the .txt extension I'm getting another error as shown in the photo. Any other suggestions?

Please check your zip file. The META-INF, system and boot.img file should be in the root of the zip and not in a folder

The structure should be

XXX.zip
    -> META-INF
    -> system
    ->boot.img
    ->other files and folder

and not like this

XXX.zip
    ->XXX
    ->META-INF
    ->system
    ->boot.img
    ->other files and folder
    No assert found in rom

I have tried 5 different roms and twrp and cwm and noting will install. Can't find assert in any of the row either.

Dead phone and don't know what to do but have been trying to fix it for 6 hours.

Please help!

Thanks.