Apps disappearing after reboot?! [CM6]

Search This thread

donovanx3

Feb 6, 2011
Ive had a weird problem the last day or so, when I reboot my device, apps mysteriously go missing. Each time I reboot, like 5 or 6 different apps disappear. This only happens to SD card apps though. This started happening a few days ago but yesterday it got alot worse AFTER I had reformatted my card. Could there be something wrong with my SD card? The apps still appear to be installed in "manage applications" but they look like "com.aac.cachemate.demo" as the name of the app, instead of "Cachemate" and etc...?

Last edited:

donovanx3

Feb 6, 2011
did you use link2sd ?

I did not, I used the standard apps2sd built into CM6. Every time I reboot, different apps are missing and then some come back that were missing the time before...They all still appear in manage applications though so they might be intact but I'm not sure if all are, they show up with the default generic android icon, and weird names. "mobi.mgeek.tunnybrowser." (Dolphin Browser) and "net.flixter.android" (Flixter) etc...The storage sizes of the missing apps appear to be different then they are supposed to be. (Maybe)

donovanx3

Feb 6, 2011
(This might have something to do with it) Yesterday for hours (before I reformatted) the phone was stuck at "Preparing SD card, checking for errors" so I went online and followed the suggestion an xda member who suggested in another thread to delete the "fsck_msdos" file from "system /bin" which disables the SD card check to see if the SD card has been properly mounted and checked. It seemed to fix my other SD card issue for the rest of the day. could this be related?

Last edited:

nikctsh

Jan 15, 2011
Just share my experience , when I was in 2.1 , I used link2sd , and if I boot without sdcard , all my linked apps will happen like that , I think maybe this is the same case as apps2sd . So , what I do is just uninstalled all those apps , and reinstalled some of it ( it's quite annoying to reinstall over 100 apps ) . As you said , all those apps remained as it's package name , so I'm kinda sure our case is almost the same . But when I was in 2.2 , once I booted with sdcard inserted , but after boot completed , all my user apps dissapear , yes , ALL . But anyway , after scan for sdcard problem in OR , all my apps recovered , with no force close , just like nothing happen during the last boot . So also , try to scan for sdcard problem in OR .

donovanx3

Feb 6, 2011
It says my card is mounted (about half of my sd card apps show up) but when I bring up the gallery, it says "SD card unmounted or not present." When I try to unmount it in settings, it never unmounts, I just click "unmount" and nothing happens....

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
It says my card is mounted (about half of my sd card apps show up) but when I bring up the gallery, it says "SD card unmounted or not present." When I try to unmount it in settings, it never unmounts, I just click "unmount" and nothing happens....

It sounds like you have corruption in your sdcard filesystem. I would take your sdcard out, put it directly into a Windows PC and run chkdsk (alternately fsck.msdos on a linux PC).

donovanx3

Feb 6, 2011
It sounds like you have corruption in your sdcard filesystem. I would take your sdcard out, put it directly into a Windows PC and run chkdsk (alternately fsck.msdos on a linux PC).
Ok I will run a chkdsk when I get some time to sit down at the computer later. I think it probably is corruption.

kirkers

Jan 1, 2011
Moto G6 Plus
Moto G7
Fast Boot option may be the culprit

The advice about checking SD card on Windows or Linux sounds good and I will keep it in mind, but I did not need to fix this sort of problem. I am not familiar with CyanogenMod (CM) in any version, but if it has a fast boot option, read on...

CUT TO THE SOLUTION BELOW -- SEARCH FOR //// :)

Some (not all) of my apps moved to SD (all by Titanium Backup Pro) have begun to disappear and (sometimes) reappear without warning after I began to add and delete large Virtual Machines created in QEMU from my 16GB SanDisc class 10 microSD card on my HTC Droid Incredible running rooted stock Verizon Android Froyo 2.2.3. I know this thread is far from my phone's "home base", but from what I can tell this problem with disappearing apps located on an sdcard is NOT determined by hardware or even Android version.

I also happen to use LauncherPro by Federico Carnales instead of the built-in HTC Sense launcher. I noted elsewhere on XDA that a user had suggested that because at least some (maybe all) launchers start before the SD Card that this may be a problem, especially if changes are made to the sdcard that the launcher did not perform, or was not active during their performance by other apps such as Titanium Backup. That fits my situation, because I unmounted the SD, physically removed it to a PC, and added/deleted large VM files to save (lots) of time. No problems of this sort before I did this, so there must be some connection.

I noted that other users have tried reformatting SD, substituting different brands of SD, using newer/older SD etc. None of these reliably helped. So I skipped these options.

//// :) The (simple!) solution I tried that SEEMS to work (only time will tell!) is buried in the main Android Settings (accessed from the Menu button while in Home screen). Under "Applications" there is a setting "Fast Boot" that I checked long ago and forgot about (it seemed like a good thing to do at the time). The text warns "Turn off to use some Market apps" (that shows the age of my 2-yr old used phone and Android OS -- ohmygosh!-- because it refers to Market rather than Google Play Store!) Anyway, I unchecked the option and rebooted the phone.

Yes, it took a bit longer to boot (maybe a whole minute!), but after waiting about another minute ALL my home screen apps had normal icons and loaded properly. Titanium Backup Pro batch scenarios confirmed there were no apps in a forced uninstalled state (i.e. I had not done the deed, the system somehow had done it or at least rendered the apps "invisible" to Titanium, which decided they needed reinstallation).

The only odd behaviour was that auto brightness was turned off after I unchecked Fast Boot and rebooted. Going into Android Settings > Display and rechecking "auto brightness" took care of that. No other oddities or strange behaviours thus far (but it has only been about an hour).

I will report back here on this thread only (Samsung Fascinate > Fascinate Q&A > What just happend? apps on sdcard) if anything else requires reporting. Silence implies success!
link: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1873670

(I am copying this post to other relevant threads, but will not post anything further elsewhere -- only there. This is a bit arbitrary (although this thread appears to be the most recent active one on this topic), but I hope this approach pleases the XDA sysops/admins) :angel:

z2168235

Jan 8, 2014
Singapore
Sorry for opening up old thread. My HDC Note3 clone phone having the same/similar issue. The phone have 8G ROM which partition into 2 different name, internal phone (1G) and SD card (5G). Whatever Apps that I install on the SD card will disappear from home menu every-time I re-boot using the power button. However, it it still there when the phone do their own reboot due to something

I try unchecked "Fast Boot" but disappearing act still happen. Any suggestion to resolve the issue?