[ROM] OmegaEVO v1.1 [[NEW 3.30.651.3 OTA]] [[Froyo 2.2]] Updated 11/15/2010

Should I update Azrael right away to the newest 3.30 OTA?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Installation instructions & other useful information

To install on your Evo:

1. Copy OmegaEVO_v1.0_by_Ricsim78.zip to the root of your SD card.
2. Shut off your phone and boot into recovery.
3. Do a full wipe (Data, cache, Dalvik, SD Ext.) Do it twice to be sure if you want to!
4. Install OmegaEVO_v1.0_by_Ricsim78.zip. It should take a few minutes to install.
5. Reboot the phone. It should take a long time to start up the first time. Please be patient!
6. If all goes well, enjoy your new ROM!
7. If not, start over from step 2 after pulling your battery.

To install a custom kernel: Let the ROM load up first and then reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik. Then install the custom kernel and reboot.

To install a theme: Let the ROM load up first and then reboot into recovery and wipe the cache and Dalvik. Then install the theme and reboot.

How to backup and restore using Titanium backup Here is the method I use to backup my phone information before I wipe and install a new ROM
  • I backup my entire phone with a batch "Backup all user apps + system data"
  • Wipe and install the new ROM,
  • I open Titanium Backup (TB) and give it super user rights.
  • I hit "Updates?" in TB and make sure I am running the latest.
  • I hit "Problems?" in TB and make sure I am using Busybox 1.60
  • Hit menu and select batch
  • Select "Backup all new apps + newer versions of apps", if any.
  • Select "Restore missing apps with data"
  • Go over the list and make sure you are restoring only what you want
  • Hit run batch operation
  • After it completes, go back into TB and backup restore.
  • Restore contacts twice
  • Restore MMS twice
  • Restore Mail twice
  • If any of the 3 above do not take, do it again
  • Restart your phone
  • Verify mail, MMS, and contacts restored. If not, restore again.

Why Amon RA and not Clockwork recovery?

Clockwork does not wipe the Dalvik properly (if at all). I personally have had nothing but problems with both Clockwork and ROM manager

I have said countless times that if you use either of the above, it is at your own risk. Install Amon RA recovery and I bet any wiping/installing problems will go away.

If you already are using ROM manager, pick the option to install a custom recovery, choose Amon RA 1.8. If that option is greyed out, reinstall the latest Clockwork then install RA.

Note: Do not do a fix permissions with anything unless you need to, you can screw stuff up that way.

Trust me, the new ROM is devoid of problems (I have never tested a ROM this much before releasing it). If you experience any, it is either something you are doing wrong or incomplete wipes thanks to your recovery not doing it's job properly.

What is the proper method to install the ROM and other things (kernels, themes, and mods, etc.)

Lets say you want to add a kernel, a theme, and then a clock modification.

• Nandroid first!
  • ROM: Wipe data, cache, Dalvik (twice), SD:EXT.
  • Install the ROM.
  • Let the ROM load up the first time.
  • Sign into your Google account
  • Let it sync
  • When the sync icon goes away, reboot into recovery.
  • In recovery, wipe the cache and Dalvik (twice)
  • Install the theme
  • Reboot
  • Let it load all the way up again.
  • Reboot into recovery
  • In recovery, wipe the cache and Dalvik (twice)
  • Install the kernel
  • Reboot
  • Let it load all the way up again.
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Wipe the cache and Dalvik (twice)
  • Install the clock MOD
  • Reboot

This is my method and works every time without issue. Obviously, to install another item, you would repeat the process.

Hope this both helps and clarifies.

Which kernels work with this ROM?

Any that are designed for a Sense ROM. This includes:
  • Netarchy's
  • Kingclick's
  • Hero Over's
  • Ziggy's
  • HTC's

Which kernel do you recommend to use?

I cannot recommend a kernel for you because each EVO reacts different. The best for my phone can be the worse for yours.

You have to try the different ones available and pick the one that works best for you. What I do is start with their latest and work your way down until you find one that works well. Then stick with it.

This also goes for overclocking, SetCPU settings, etc.

Which themes work with this ROM?

Themes make your phone look nice but can also add problems to an otherwise smooth running ROM. You can use any theme you wish, but Nandroid first and if anything is broken, please do not blame the ROM as it is the theme that added the problem.

This includes my older modded themes and any theme made for 3.29 and 3.30 OTA updates They may work or they may work but break things.

Using my theme avoids this problem. It matches with my ROM perfectly and breaks nothing. Also, my theme is optimized for maximum speed and reduces the overhead of a theme (most themes are not optimized and add a bunch of stuff which increases system overhead, reduces battery life and speed a bit). As an added perk, it is a small download.

Hey, what gives? How come this ROM is saying it is 3.30.651.2 when I thought it was the 3.30.651.3 OTA?

3.30.651.3 is NOT a full ROM, it is a kernel and a few other minor changes. This is why the OTA is 7 MB or less instead of 160+ MB like a ROM usually is.

There is no issue, this is the 3.30.651.3 update. Hence the HTC # 17 kernel. Notice the screenshot in the first post also says that mine has 3.30.651.2? That is because basically this is a bandaid for a recently released OTA. That is why the number went up in the last decimal place. A major update would be like 3.31.XXX.X

Last edited:

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
EDIT: Replacement battery indicator included in the first post for anyone who does not like the circle battery indicator the ROM is cooked with.

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=752658 See here, download and flash whichever one you want. This is for anyone who wants to change the battery indicator.

Enjoy!

EDIT: Going to be recooking with the smooth battery with percentage indicator. I like that battery best and think it is far more useful. Thanks for your feedback jgalan14 and glad you like it!

Yeah definitely the battery looks better in the room I flash it and the motivation tray went back to white, the font is really really good in the Rom , really nice

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Yeah definitely the battery looks better in the room I flash it and the motivation tray went back to white, the font is really really good in the Rom , really nice

That is the font from the Manup theme, I like it too :)

I added a link to download a recovery flashable battery indicator (changes battery to smooth with percentage) in the first post. This way you can keep the stock circular one or switch it if you do not like it. Choice is good!

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Wow, Awesome Rom.. Is there anyway you can host your Background Wallpaper??? I really like it ;)

Thanks for the compliments and I am glad you like. There is 4 custom wallpapers included, I found them from Desktop Nexus and resized them to fit the Evo screen (960x800) using Paint.net for Windows 7.

You should also check out the custom ring tones and notifications!

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Thanks for the compliments and I am glad you like. There is 4 custom wallpapers included, I found them from Desktop Nexus and resized them to fit the Evo screen (960x800) using Paint.net for Windows 7.

You should also check out the custom ring tones and notifications!
Yeah I like the notifications ringtones and the wallpaper lol sometimes I'm lazy and hate to look for them lol

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Yeah I like the notifications intoned and the wallpaper lol sometimes I'm lazy and hate to look for them lol
That was how this ROM was born, I liked almost all of the ones on the board, but none had the ringtones, notifications, or wallpapers I wanted.

Problem solved! Glad to see it is working for everyone as well. I had no problems with this ROM, think it helps that it is based off the OTA and not a custom ROM.

I will keep this ROM updated. Future plans is to come up with a Sense removed, AOSP element version and add more customizations. I also need to update some of the apps (TB, to name one). I kept some of the stock Sprint stuff in just so no one had problems updating the Voicemail or other Sprint apps left in.

Please rate the thread and let me know if there is anything I should include, change, etc. etc.

Last edited:

jgalan14

Jul 8, 2010
Las Vegas
That was how this ROM was born, I liked almost all of the ones on the board, but none had the ringtones, notifications, or wallpapers I wanted.

Problem solved! Glad to see it is working for everyone as well. I had no problems with this ROM, think it helps that it is based off the OTA and not a custom ROM.

I will keep this ROM updated. Future plans is to come up with a Sense removed, AOSP element version and add more customizations. I also need to update some of the apps (TB, to name one). I kept some of the stock Sprint stuff in just so no one had problems updating the Voicemail or other Sprint apps left in.

Please rate the thread and let me know if there is anything I should include, change, etc. etc.

AOSP will be great too I'll keep looking at thread to see what else you'll offer

beatblaster

Jul 23, 2008
Chicagoland
Oh I gotta try this one out :) Lemme see how the SouthSide represents in this piece!! I'll be back with feedback sometime over the weekend.

ricsim78

Sep 7, 2010
Chicago Heights, IL
Oh I gotta try this one out :) Lemme see how the SouthSide represents in this piece!! I'll be back with feedback sometime over the weekend.

Sounds good man, hehe. Please let me know what you think and I hope you like this ROM.

I begin work on the next version of Azrael today, expect version 2.1 out soon, By Wednesday I should have it tested out and ready to go.

Known changes I am going to be making:

-all apps updated
-battery indicator changed to Smooth battery with percentage (far more useful than the one Azrael 2.0 is cooked with and so far the only complain heard about this ROM) *knock on wood*
-Another custom wallpaper or 3 thrown in for good measure :)

Whatever changes I make, I will of course note them in the release notes.

I also want to get some more theme options available, maybe modify some themes so they do not take out my custom wallpapers. That way you can make this ROM more how you want it to be as well.

I really hope everyone who tries this likes it, I know I am up there with some really good ROM makers here that have far more reputation, but so far everything has been positive and I hope that at least a few people find my work useful.

Lastly, I am glad to offer another ROM option and give back to a community that has given me much.

Top Liked Posts