FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Win Honor 9 Lite

PSA: Clear Google Wallet Settings Before Flashing ROM/Hard Resets!

820 posts
Thanks Meter: 675

By TaintedByte, Senior Member on 27th May 2012, 12:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th May 2012, 01:45 PM |#101  
Flag Utah
Thanks Meter: 48

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveNFC

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Firstly, the yellow unsupported device banner at the top of Google Wallet means nothing. You'll still be able to use Google Wallet. Only rooted users will see it. It's basically warning you that if you mess up, Google aren't liable.

Secondly, there are two types of secure element errors that you'll get. If you get an error saying that there are insufficient secure element privileges, this is to do with your custom ROM being crap. This error is fixable, as it's merely to do with incorrect permissions in the ROM. Using wlpywd's linked workaround could work.

The second secure element error reads as 'secure element not responding' or 'secure element not found'. This is the error that results from not clearing Wallet prior to flashing. If you get this error, there is absolutely nothing you can do other than getting a new phone. Changing build prop or anything else will have no effect - the secure element hardware is now corrupt. Restoring backups will have no effect.

Some have suggested that custom ROM developers could include Wallet wiping as part of the flashing process. This is impossible. When you wipe Wallet, you're wiping the secure element. Only Google has the ability to gain access to the secure element through software. That's why it's secure. It's impossible for ROM developers to gain access to and wipe the secure element without begging Google for the keys.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

You'll still be able to use NFC for Android beam and to scan NFC tags. The destruction of the secure element means that you'll be unable to use other NFC financial services in the future. It also means that if Google ever allows card emulation on Android in the future, you won't be able to use it for access control and ticketing.

However, there is still some hope. Phones can have multiple NFC secure elements. Rumour has it that ISIS will be using the SIM card as the secure element. If this is the case, people with messed up embedded secure elements will still be able to pay for goods with their phones via the SIM secure element.

This seems to be the best response so far. Seems, as though, as long as you don't grant Google Wallet access to SU privileges it should be okay. So really there should be two precautions, reset before flashing, and never grant it SU permissions.

Sent from my Epic Touch (Blazer ROM) using XDA

30th May 2012, 02:15 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthe1

This seems to be the best response so far. Seems, as though, as long as you don't grant Google Wallet access to SU privileges it should be okay. So really there should be two precautions, reset before flashing, and never grant it SU permissions.

I actually granted Wallet SU permissions the first time i ever set it up after rooting, before i found this thread. I revoked it later, and havent given it su since, but ive reflashed 4 times so far and never cleared the wallet app data and no issues yet.
30th May 2012, 02:15 PM |#103  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 675

More
Quote:

I will add that to the FAQ, however granting root permissions should not have any effect on bricking the secure element. Either way, it is a good practice to only allow root to things you know/intended to in the first place.
30th May 2012, 04:04 PM |#104  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 3,088

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100

Yes, it did function following the root. Doing the reset was a very slow process, took at least several minutes. And mine too got hung up at 99%. I walked away 5-10 min. When returned, the screen was blank (sleep mode). Took it out of sleep, unlocked, and was at the home screen. I couldn't get back into the GW app (nothing happened when selecting it). Now, I made an assumption earlier that it had reset successfully. Following a reboot, I tried launching it again. This time the app would launch, but with secure element not responding message. So perhaps it wasn't reset correct/properly then.

The question is, how long does this reset process take. How long does it take to count up to the 100%?

wait so you trying to do the reset process is what borked your wallet?......

While there have been many that have set it up and NOT cleared wallet and been fine.....That alone adds some confusion in this whole thing...

Need more info and testing and borked wallets to confirm anything really in stone here now...

...someone with a borked wallet could try what phandroid suggested btw to see if that fixes it....you'd need a full backup of when wallet was fully working last, and then do the following: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05...elect-devices/
Quote:

...Fixing the issue is a little more difficult. This requires someone who is experiencing the bricked secure element (after flashing a custom ROM) to restore a backed up ROM (before everything went down) and reset the Google Wallet app from inside the app’s settings. No backup? No dice.

30th May 2012, 04:06 PM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 49

More
Quote:

I didnt grant wallet SU privileges but still have warning message about using rooted rom.
30th May 2012, 05:59 PM |#106  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 607

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph33zy

Thanks. I did find it. I do have one more question (sorry if it's been asked). Will I lose my $10 GW credit if I reset and clear and data? I haven't spent any of it yet and was looking to unlock and mess with viper's custom ROM.

I'm no Wallet pro but you shouldn't lose anything. I factory reset a few times (before I knew better) and I still have my $10.
I haven't gotten Wallet to work yet but I'm not seeing the secure element error. I think I just need to try a different vendor.
30th May 2012, 07:42 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 491

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt. slaughter

wait so you trying to do the reset process is what borked your wallet?......

While there have been many that have set it up and NOT cleared wallet and been fine.....That alone adds some confusion in this whole thing...

Need more info and testing and borked wallets to confirm anything really in stone here now...

...someone with a borked wallet could try what phandroid suggested btw to see if that fixes it....you'd need a full backup of when wallet was fully working last, and then do the following: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/05...elect-devices/

At this point, i'm more than confident that the clearing wallet function is what did it in. That's why I asked how long the clearing process took for those that were able to do so successfully.

Other than imaging the phone, nothing should take more than a min or two to complete IMO.

I've gone ahead and exchanged the phone, and will not touch google wallet on the new one until there is definitive information on how to recover if it breaks.

Is the phandroid fix you're referring to the one that you edit a build.prop file (or some other file, I can't recall the exact name), and change the device mfg and model to something else? I didn't see a link in your link to their instructions.
30th May 2012, 07:54 PM |#108  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 3,088

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpz1100

At this point, i'm more than confident that the clearing wallet function is what did it in. That's why I asked how long the clearing process took for those that were able to do so successfully.

Other than imaging the phone, nothing should take more than a min or two to complete IMO.

I've gone ahead and exchanged the phone, and will not touch google wallet on the new one until there is definitive information on how to recover if it breaks.

Is the phandroid fix you're referring to the one that you edit a build.prop file (or some other file, I can't recall the exact name), and change the device mfg and model to something else? I didn't see a link in your link to their instructions.

no its what i had quoted there. it wasnt the lil trick that one person was testing...
30th May 2012, 11:04 PM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
I had just played with google wallet for the first time last night and in anticipation of flashing 1.2 of viper when I get home I went ahead and cleared my google wallet settings. After it was complete it took me back to initializing google wallet, then it force closed on me, I launched it again it seemed to work and I am at the get started or learn more screen. I just wanted to make sure if I am back at that prompt I am clean to flash a rom?

Thanks!
30th May 2012, 11:53 PM |#110  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 482

More
I posted before on this matter. My GW has worked for me after root,HTC dev and flashing viper Rom. I never reset it ever, just denied it SU. Afyet flashing the tom I had the unsupported device message but it still functioned. A couple of minutes ago I flashed viper 1.2 (full wipe) and once again I forgot to reset. Funny thing is I set up wallet again and its fine the unsupported device message is even gone. Basically I done nothing except deny SU and all is good

SENT FROM MY EVO LTE USING XDA
30th May 2012, 11:55 PM |#111  
Flag Tampa Bay, Fl.
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I'm a bit confused on when you get the Secure Element message. I've read this whole thread but can't figure it out. Do you get the message when you try to use it or when you open up GW? I'm rooted and at the top it says Unsuppported device.

I haven't tried to use it yet so that is why I was wondering when the Secure Element message shows up.

TIA
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
brick, nfc, responding, secure, wallet

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)