Diztronic Matte Black TPU case Review and Picture

Search This thread

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
So I just got he Diztronic Case for my new Nexus 5 today and here's my thoughts on it. I've been a Diztronic case user for sometime now; had it on previous devices such as my S3. One thing I love about Diztronic is that they are more substance than flash when it comes to their cases.

Packaging:

One thing you will notice when you get the packaging is that, well there isn't much to say as its in a plastic wrap, with a cardboard cutout placeholder for your phone. They spent the money were it needs to go; on the case itself.

attachment.php

Build Quality/Design

As expected from Diztronic, the case is a built top notch using a soft but firm flexible TPU material. It has a two tone appearance where the edge/frame is a shiny glossy black (along with the Diztronic logo on the back) where the rest of the case is a soft grippy matte black on the back and sides. A thing to point out is the nice feel the matte finish has. It almost feels like the Nexus 5 back without a case. It just feels good. One thing I like is that Diztronic did not plaster their name all over the case like some case manufacturers do. Just one simply logo at the back near the bottom.

attachment.php

The cutouts are all in the perfect location and aligned right. The cutouts for all ports/mics/speakers are spot on. One thing I would like to point out is the cutout for the headphone jack. It's bigger than other cases I've seen and I like that. It allows for headphone plugs off varying sizes to be used with our phone. Many times a plug will be too big to be used with certain cases and the phone would have to removed from the case to use said plug. The cutout is a large nice square cutout. So thumbs up to Diztronic for that. Also, the microusb port cutout is large also, allowing for oem and aftermarket micro usb plugs to be used. Which is really like as I have plugs and charges of all sorts of sizes around the house, bag and car.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

One thing that did differ from the S3 Diztronic case is that there is no cutouts for the buttons; volume and power. I'm sure a lot of us went the super cheap route before and got a tpu case off of ebay with no cutouts and it was just plain misery trying to press the buttons. That was one of the big pluses for me on the S3 case and was doubtful and wary about no cutouts on the Nexus 5 case. Yet, Diztronic has pulled through and made pressing the buttons easy and nice even without the cutouts. The fake buttons on the case to mimic the buttons on the phone are very nicely designed and implemented. They actually look and feel like real buttons and not just some bump on the case like the cheaper tpu cases.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another thing I liked is that the edges are raised to protect the phone if you place it face down on the table. So no scratching the screen when doing so.

attachment.php

Also, unlike the slim cases from Spigen and Ringke (other cases I considered) is that it has decent protection all the way around the phone. The slim cases protect the sides but not so much the top and bottom. Sure its a little bulkier and thicker but my mind is a little more at ease with the added protection.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1040611.jpg
    P1040611.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 1,700
  • P1040610.jpg
    P1040610.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 10,566
  • P1040613.jpg
    P1040613.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 1,477
  • P1040609.jpg
    P1040609.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 10,478
  • P1040607.jpg
    P1040607.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 10,506
  • P1040606.jpg
    P1040606.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 10,506
  • P1040605.jpg
    P1040605.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 10,604
  • P1040614.jpg
    P1040614.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 12,953
  • P1040602.jpg
    P1040602.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 10,398
  • P1040616.jpg
    P1040616.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 10,376
  • P1040615.jpg
    P1040615.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 10,358
  • IMG_20131216_175813.jpg
    IMG_20131216_175813.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_20131216_175823.jpg
    IMG_20131216_175823.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_20131216_180017.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180017.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_20131216_180026.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180026.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_20131216_180031.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180031.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_20131216_180106.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180106.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_20131216_180122.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180122.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_20131216_180142.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180142.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_20131216_180211.jpg
    IMG_20131216_180211.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 625
Last edited by a moderator:

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Got the same case on my N5 as well. Had one on my EVO 4G LTE as well. Decent case all around. Nice review.

Thanks I appreciate it!

Yeah one of the better cases I've used on any device. Great customer support too, anytime I had an issue they always were quick and courteous.

ComposMentis

Sep 12, 2007
Thanks for the review. My phone slipped out of my hand today and I was able to catch it with my foot before it fell the rest of the approx. 6 inches to a tile floor. The back cover popped open a little bit, but it was otherwise unscathed. I took that as my first and only warning from the phone Gods to put a case on it so I just bought one of these based on your review.

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Thanks for the review. My phone slipped out of my hand today and I was able to catch it with my foot before it fell the rest of the approx. 6 inches to a tile floor. The back cover popped open a little bit, but it was otherwise unscathed. I took that as my first and only warning from the phone Gods to put a case on it so I just bought one of these based on your review.

yeah I always recommend a case. I don't like otter boxes or tank sized cases but I do like a medium between super slim and otterbox. I'm sure you'll like the case!

funky_snowman

Jul 3, 2011
Covers very little of the screen. I am using with with the spigen ultra crystal with no problems. I think it's a much more functional case than the official bumper.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
Yeah, if you can't tell my phone has a screen protector on it. I'm using the xtremeguard protector on it

rayray27

Oct 4, 2012
Does anyone have any pictures of this case (either black or clear, both would be nice though) on a white Nexus 5? Looking to purchase this case just not sure in which color :D

Momotani-Hitoshi

Nov 23, 2013
Covers very little of the screen. I am using with with the spigen ultra crystal with no problems. I think it's a much more functional case than the official bumper.

The skinomi screen protector I got has 1mm margin to the edge of the screen so any case lip that covers more than 1mm will start to push on the protector.

Would you say the it covers 1mm or less of the screen?

unciviilized

Sep 27, 2011
TEXAS
Does this case feels like the soft black of the phone? How is it with fingerprints?

rsa 329

Mar 26, 2013
The skinomi screen protector I got has 1mm margin to the edge of the screen so any case lip that covers more than 1mm will start to push on the protector.

Would you say the it covers 1mm or less of the screen?
I'm curious as well about the case pushing against the screen protector. I would like to know if the case causes the screen protector to lift away from the screen. This is a problem I have with the spigen.
Thanks

thfreedumb

Aug 27, 2012
Amazon has the black with prime shipping, I'll make sure to post my thoughts

Sent from my Nexus 10 using xda app-developers app

LuBi

Jul 17, 2007
South Florida
Looks like you lucked out and got the second revision, seems like a lottery at Amazon right now but good to see they started shipping them. Nice big photos and thanks for taking the time. I personally decided to pass on Diz this time due to the QC issues and covered up buttons.

FYI there's a thread a few pages long dedicated to the progression of this case including other pics and reviews: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2490294 :good:

Atticustrd

Aug 2, 2010
After using a spigen neo hybrid for a few days I've gone back to the diztronic, fits like a glove. And almost feels like there's no case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
Is it hard to take off? I've read that some people actually damaged the exterior back and edges by taking off their cases...

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
No its not hard to take off... I don't go side to side... I go from bottom to top. So insert the bottom of the phone first then the top. Yeah i was worried about the revisions but Diztronic emailed me that all new cases should be the revised version

tylerdurden83

May 28, 2011
Sucks that from Italy apparently there is no way to get my hands on one since no euro amazon sells it and they directly also dont mail it to Italy or other european countries....

th3xeroeagle

Sep 4, 2011
Montreal
No its not hard to take off... I don't go side to side... I go from bottom to top. So insert the bottom of the phone first then the top. Yeah i was worried about the revisions but Diztronic emailed me that all new cases should be the revised version

Have you tried eBay through the seller "post3rs" ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I just got he Diztronic Case for my new Nexus 5 today and here's my thoughts on it. I've been a Diztronic case user for sometime now; had it on previous devices such as my S3. One thing I love about Diztronic is that they are more substance than flash when it comes to their cases.

Packaging:

One thing you will notice when you get the packaging is that, well there isn't much to say as its in a plastic wrap, with a cardboard cutout placeholder for your phone. They spent the money were it needs to go; on the case itself.

attachment.php

Build Quality/Design

As expected from Diztronic, the case is a built top notch using a soft but firm flexible TPU material. It has a two tone appearance where the edge/frame is a shiny glossy black (along with the Diztronic logo on the back) where the rest of the case is a soft grippy matte black on the back and sides. A thing to point out is the nice feel the matte finish has. It almost feels like the Nexus 5 back without a case. It just feels good. One thing I like is that Diztronic did not plaster their name all over the case like some case manufacturers do. Just one simply logo at the back near the bottom.

attachment.php

The cutouts are all in the perfect location and aligned right. The cutouts for all ports/mics/speakers are spot on. One thing I would like to point out is the cutout for the headphone jack. It's bigger than other cases I've seen and I like that. It allows for headphone plugs off varying sizes to be used with our phone. Many times a plug will be too big to be used with certain cases and the phone would have to removed from the case to use said plug. The cutout is a large nice square cutout. So thumbs up to Diztronic for that. Also, the microusb port cutout is large also, allowing for oem and aftermarket micro usb plugs to be used. Which is really like as I have plugs and charges of all sorts of sizes around the house, bag and car.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

One thing that did differ from the S3 Diztronic case is that there is no cutouts for the buttons; volume and power. I'm sure a lot of us went the super cheap route before and got a tpu case off of ebay with no cutouts and it was just plain misery trying to press the buttons. That was one of the big pluses for me on the S3 case and was doubtful and wary about no cutouts on the Nexus 5 case. Yet, Diztronic has pulled through and made pressing the buttons easy and nice even without the cutouts. The fake buttons on the case to mimic the buttons on the phone are very nicely designed and implemented. They actually look and feel like real buttons and not just some bump on the case like the cheaper tpu cases.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Another thing I liked is that the edges are raised to protect the phone if you place it face down on the table. So no scratching the screen when doing so.

attachment.php

Also, unlike the slim cases from Spigen and Ringke (other cases I considered) is that it has decent protection all the way around the phone. The slim cases protect the sides but not so much the top and bottom. Sure its a little bulkier and thicker but my mind is a little more at ease with the added protection.

attachment.php
    Does this case feels like the soft black of the phone? How is it with fingerprints?

The phone matches the soft black fairly well, fits like a glove, and compared to other cases almost seems as though nothing is on it (although haven't tried them all).

I have picked this case up with olive oil on my hands from prepping food, and I felt like it did fairly well at hiding the oils until I got a wet cloth to wipe it down. Minimal shine to the oily fingerprints, and regular fingerprints rarely show up and are barely there when they do.
    Does anyone have any pictures of this case (either black or clear, both would be nice though) on a white Nexus 5? Looking to purchase this case just not sure in which color :D

Don't think anyone has given photos of the case on a white Nexus 5 so have taken a few!
    I took some pics of my diztronic vs a neo hybrid case, here they are!