[UPDATE] [PACK] System Apps Update Pack for CyanogenMod 6 [SIGNED]

Search This thread

unforgiven512

Oct 28, 2008
Erie, PA
unforgivendevelopment.com
I've put together an update.zip with the latest versions of all the System Apps that come with CyanogenMod 6.

This solves multiple problems:
  1. Allows you to update those apps that just don't want to (Street View, Superuser, etc)
  2. Updates to system apps are stored on the "data" partition. This uses up your available space. By flashing this update, the updated files will be stored on your "system" partition -- where they belong, instead of your "data" partitions, where the files get placed when you update from the Market.
  3. I'm not 100% sure, but I have a good feeling this is the final fix to problem #1. I believe this causes Android to update the signature associated with the app, "correcting" itself.

The updated apps
  • Amazon MP3
  • Chrome-to-Phone
  • Gmail
  • Google Maps
  • Google Search
  • Google Voice
  • ROM Manager
  • Street View
  • Superuser
  • TalkBack
  • Twitter
  • Voice Search

You can go ahead and download the file here: http://www.unforgivendevelopment.com/2010/09/25/cyanogenmod-6-system-apps-update-pack-09252010/

If you encounter any issues, or have any comments or anything, let me know.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

jimskie

May 10, 2010
flashed this update on kang o rama/cm6 it says no signature, installation aborted..

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Gilg@mesh

Jan 15, 2009
Stockholm
so if I have understand this correct, every time a update is available we should not update through market instead wait for you to update the pack and then flash through recovery? because when I checked market now, I don't see Maps or Voice Search installed even if they are installed and latest versions, if I update they will get into the data directory right?

underamoon

May 11, 2009
Thanks. Flashed clockwork now works. Newer updates from market still fail.

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

mtw4991

Mar 10, 2010
Orlando, FL
I have a 2-fold question for you guys:

I have apps on the /data/app partition such as Vlingo, SetCPU, Calibration Settings, MusicMod, Twitter, etc. Many of these are root apps and some are widgets that I use. The phone shows 152.61mb used and 43.64mb free in this partition, fyi.

I also have a most of my apps on the /system/app such as Camera, Browser, Email, Gallery etc. All of these are the core system apps. The phone shows 110.55mb used and 34.45mb free.

(1) If I move all of the apps from /data/app to /system/app can I?
Looks obvious that I wouldn't have enough space on the /system/app partition!

(2) If I move just a couple of widgets from /data/app to /system/app to free up space, would the widgets still boot up normally when the phone reboots or would they have to be re-installed?

rori~

Aug 21, 2009
Vienna
(2) If I move just a couple of widgets from /data/app to /system/app to free up space, would the widgets still boot up normally when the phone reboots or would they have to be re-installed?

This is no prob...I got couple of apps with widgets (smoked widgets) in /system/app..no problemo :)

mtw4991

Mar 10, 2010
Orlando, FL
This is no prob...I got couple of apps with widgets (smoked widgets) in /system/app..no problemo :)

Thanks for the quick response Rori!
So I can move what I want to move to the /system/app and they will boot right along with the phone, however, the Market will no longer "see" them as installed on my phone, correct?

tutech

Mar 1, 2009
Boca Raton, FL
I understand that Clockwork is set to ignore signature checks. So, this zip should flash through Clockwork no matter what, but will only flash through Amon_RA's recovery with a proper signature.

applejosh

Jan 11, 2007
There is an updated gapps over at cyanogenmod (Nexus One, Stable forum, downloads section) that is the full gapps bundle. Not sure about the signature situation, but if it's like the previous files, then it should be fine.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would - at least GenieWidget and CarHome aren't in the market, so I'd like to be able to generate a package with them with minimal effort.

Im just working on a shell/command line java app for linux at the moment. The plan is for you to plug your phone in run the app selecter from the command line and choose what apps you want in the update.zip Flash the file and it will remove the apps from the /data partition to the /system partition saving you memory.

Its going to be a hacky way of doing things but im gong to give it a shot, just for the sake of learning.

If I do get this working well enough I will try port it to windows.
    Almost there with this program, got the main parts done. It now creates a signed working update.zip which removes the old apps off the /data/app/

any apps you would like me to add to the options?
    so far I have given the options to update;

Android market
    Rom manager
    Twitter
    Gmail
    Facebook
    Maps
    Amazon mp3

shouldn't be long now just some fine tuning to do.