Installing (purchased) Airplay app onto Fire TV

Search This thread

Adit18

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all

I'm an avid XBMC user who has been using xbmc on a variety of Android TV boxes, these being the Pivos XIOS DS, OUYA and now the Fire TV which I have had imported from the US (to the UK where I live). As you can see, my choice of Android boxes has been influenced only be the Android devices that xbmc actually sponsor, I haven;t tried to use any other Android box other than those enforced by the xbmc org themselves.

In essence I have been looking for an Android TV box that will replace my two sluggish Apple TV2's.
I've had mixed luck with the Pivos and OUYA namely because of the poor remote controls. My family have never really taken to these two boxes and thus we keep reverting to the ATV2's despite the slow performance.

Having seen fire TV I immediately ordered one from the USA, learned how to install XBMC via adb commands and I must say I'm impressed. To the point where I'm almost ready to get rid of all my current TV boxes (including the ATV2's) and replace them all with Fire TVs.

Moving on, XBMC's internal Airplay server does not work with Android devices, this is the one thing stopping me from getting rid of my ATV2's.... I need Airplay!

I have been reading around the XBMC official forum and some other users are in the same boat as me and they have actually managed to install an Airplay server App to the Fire TV, rather than waiting for XBMC to resolve their broken Android Airplay feature. If I could achieve this I'd be happily slinging my ATV2's out of the window! The app that has reportedly been installed (sideloaded) on to the Fire TV is called AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) which is a paid app.

Actual question:

I have purchased and installed the aforementioned app onto my (rooted) Galaxy S4, I have no intention whatsoever of actually using the app on my S4, I did this SOLELY to extract the app and install on the Fire TV. I have successfully found the APK file using ES File Explorer and copied it to my PC. However when trying to install the APK to the Fire TV using adb command it fails, with error message:

[INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES]

I'm guessing this is because I am trying to install the app onto a device for which it was not purchased through. Can anyone please help me overcome this problems, I'm really now desperate to have the Fire TV replace all of my current TV boxes, and I've spent a lot of time looking for the ideal device for XBMC + AIrplay. It looks like I'm very close to achieving my goal and just need some help from some of the experts on there to overcome the final hurdle (Airplay). I've messaged the guy on the XBMC forum that has claimed to have installed this app on his FIRE TV but he has not replied to me. I can;t really post this question oin the xbmc forums becuase I'm not asking for support for xbmc's Airplay server, I'm asking a question more related to sideloading an app with missing certificate that I've actually paid (albeit on a another device).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Adit - XDA newbie.

Last edited:

Adit18

Jun 25, 2014
I do not know how to fix your certificate error, but a new app released yesterday for the Fire TV claims to do AirPlay.

If that doesn't work and you can't figure out how to fix the certificate issue, you can try installing the Google Play Store onto the Fire TV and see if you can download the app directly.

Many thanks for the reply here. Many apps 'claim' to facilitate Airplay but if I'm going to pay for one I'd rather it be one that has been tested successfully on the Fire TV, and that's the reason why I went for AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO).

Moving on I have the following questions relating to your Google Play Store. I believe one of the prerequisites of installing Google Pay Store is that the Fire TV must be rooted, correct? Whilst I don't have any personal issue with rooting (after all I just rooted my Galaxy S4 earlier today) my concern is that once I root and install the Play Store and sign into it that the following will happen:

- I'll have to pay for the AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) again?
- Upon a new firmware update the root will be gone and the app will no longer work?

fireTVnews.com

Jun 6, 2014
www.fireTVnews.com
Many thanks for the reply here. Many apps 'claim' to facilitate Airplay but if I'm going to pay for one I'd rather it be one that has been tested successfully on the Fire TV, and that's the reason why I went for AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO).

Moving on I have the following questions relating to your Google Play Store. I believe one of the prerequisites of installing Google Pay Store is that the Fire TV must be rooted, correct? Whilst I don't have any personal issue with rooting (after all I just rooted my Galaxy S4 earlier today) my concern is that once I root and install the Play Store and sign into it that the following will happen:

- I'll have to pay for the AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) again?
- Upon a new firmware update the root will be gone and the app will no longer work?
Since AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) itself does not require root, you would still be able to use the app even if a future update removed root. Your only issue would be if a future update disabled root and you, for whatever reason, needed to factory reset the Fire TV. The reset would remove the app and you wouldn't be able to reinstall it because you could no longer gain root.

Adit18

Jun 25, 2014
@ JJ-KwiK
@ fireTVnews.com

Many thanks again for your suggestions, thanks has been added to you both. I'm reluctant to root the Fire TV to install the Play Store for reasons of sustainability. Exactly as stated if an update removes the root and for any reason a factory reset was required then I'd be stuck. Before I reluctantly embark on the mission to root the Fire TV and take on your suggestions I'd like to be a little cheeky and ask a few more questions to you both or anyone else out there who can answer:

1. Instead of rooting and installing Play store, if I wish to instead install and try the new Airplay app that member 'fireTVnews.com' mentions how would I do this? I appreciate you're thinking this is a ridiculous question but I can't see the link between the amazon site and my Fire TV. Maybe once I purchase the app on Amazon site will automatically push the app to my Fire TV? Also I'm in the Uk where a lot of the content is blocked (because the Fire TV hasn't been released here yet), will this cause an issue?

2. If I have success with the new Airplay app from the amazon site does anyone know if I can get a refund for the Airplay PRO app, because it will never even get used if the other app does work? I don;t know much about this because although I have an S4 it's purchase was recent and I'm still new to the world of Play Store. In fact the Airplay PRO app is the first app that I've ever purchased through the Play store and I'm kinda left feeling a little stung. Fair enough if I was going to use the app but a complete waste if I don't.

3. One thing that would solve all of this quite easily is if there is a way to install the certificates for the Airplay PRO app that I've purchased, then install it onto the Fire TV. I don't want to be breaking any forum rules here but I have paid for the app so if anyone could give me any clues / hints I'd be very grateful. Have done the usual googling but with the amount of confusing info out there I don't fancy doing several all-nighters to learn how to do it myself from scratch.

z31fanatic

Jun 22, 2014
I had some free coins I used for the AiPlay Receiver app. I tried a couple of 30 seconds home video clips from my wife's iphone and they worked fine.
Home made videos from my Android phone don't work. It says 'can't play this video'

Last edited:

Adit18

Jun 25, 2014
1- I'm in Canada, and I'm still able to download and use apps from the firetv store. I just have to change my address to a fictitious US address and the store will allow me to download apps. This doesn't work for prime video's etc... though. When I'm done downloading what I want, I just change my address back to Canada. All this is done on Amazon's website.

2- Google Play only offers refunds to app users for 15 minutes after the app was purchased I believe. So you're probably out of luck there. You could always try emailing the app developer...

Well this is a turn out for the books. I have just purchased the new AirReceiver app from the Amazon website without changing my address, I figured that if it doesn't work I'll demand a refund from Amazon. The Amazon website allowed me to make the purchase without even changing my address. Next I checked on my Fire TV and the app was showing as available to be downloaded and synced, so I did this.... and it works!
Airplay is seems to be working from my ios7 iPad. I haven;t done any exhaustive testing yet and I hope the app auto-starts when the Fire TV does and stays running in the background, rather than having to manually activate the app before airplaying something.
Now the interesting this is, this app looks exactly like 'AirReceiver' by 'felix.long' which is available in the Google Pay Store. In fact I'm certain it's the same app and it definitely hasn't been developed exclusively for Fire TV. This is obvious as the app doesn't even fit on to the screen (neither do most apps which are optimised for mobile phone displays rather than Android TV boxes). Funnily enough, this app was next on my list to try out after the Airplay (PRO) app which I purchased last night, it's a funny old world! Now I just need to email the developer of Airplay (PRO) and see if he will consider giving me a refund. After all, I have actually tested his app on my S4 and whilst Airplay for photos is ok, Airplay for videos from my iPad doesn't even work!

Once again JJ-KwiK and fireTVnews.com thank you both very much for your help. I do have a couple of minor questions tho which you'll probably know the answers to:

1. If this new AirReceiver app is updated, will I automatically be able to install the updated version? Seeing as I've purchased it I would imagine so.
2. Is there any way of getting the app to show properly on the screen? Presumably if Amazon are charging for this app exclusively for Fire TV they should at least have checked that it fits on to the screen. Any novice would be pulling his hair out trying to work out what each of the options are because so much of the text is off the screen. I'm used to this off-the-screen lark with my OUYA and Pivos but even I couldn;t figure out what some of the options say is far too much of the text has disappeared off the screen on the left-hand side. Perhaps there is a way to rectify this on the Fire Tv, which I don;t know about?
3. Lastly, if.... (as of 30 mins ago) I mean WHEN i purchase my next Fire TV, will I have to purchase the app again or can I simply log into the new Fore TV and sync apps again and, in effect get it for free on my 2nd / 3rd Fire TV?

z31fanatic

Jun 22, 2014
About the app not fitting on the screen, you need to go into the FTV settings-->system-->display-->calibrate display. I had to scale mine to 3%. Now the app fits in the screen perfectly.

Adit18

Jun 25, 2014
About the app not fitting on the screen, you need to go into the FTV settings-->system-->display-->calibrate display. I had to scale mine to 3%. Now the app fits in the screen perfectly.

Ok thanks, will try this. Adoes this adjustment have any adverse effect on other apps or even the main operating system display? What I mean is when you make this adjustment does it screw up anything else?

vi6s

Jul 16, 2012
Well this is a turn out for the books. I have just purchased the new AirReceiver app from the Amazon website without changing my address, I figured that if it doesn't work I'll demand a refund from Amazon. The Amazon website allowed me to make the purchase without even changing my address. Next I checked on my Fire TV and the app was showing as available to be downloaded and synced, so I did this.... and it works!
Airplay is seems to be working from my ios7 iPad. I haven;t done any exhaustive testing yet and I hope the app auto-starts when the Fire TV does and stays running in the background, rather than having to manually activate the app before airplaying something.
Now the interesting this is, this app looks exactly like 'AirReceiver' by 'felix.long' which is available in the Google Pay Store. In fact I'm certain it's the same app and it definitely hasn't been developed exclusively for Fire TV. This is obvious as the app doesn't even fit on to the screen (neither do most apps which are optimised for mobile phone displays rather than Android TV boxes). Funnily enough, this app was next on my list to try out after the Airplay (PRO) app which I purchased last night, it's a funny old world! Now I just need to email the developer of Airplay (PRO) and see if he will consider giving me a refund. After all, I have actually tested his app on my S4 and whilst Airplay for photos is ok, Airplay for videos from my iPad doesn't even work!

Once again JJ-KwiK and fireTVnews.com thank you both very much for your help. I do have a couple of minor questions tho which you'll probably know the answers to:

1. If this new AirReceiver app is updated, will I automatically be able to install the updated version? Seeing as I've purchased it I would imagine so.
2. Is there any way of getting the app to show properly on the screen? Presumably if Amazon are charging for this app exclusively for Fire TV they should at least have checked that it fits on to the screen. Any novice would be pulling his hair out trying to work out what each of the options are because so much of the text is off the screen. I'm used to this off-the-screen lark with my OUYA and Pivos but even I couldn;t figure out what some of the options say is far too much of the text has disappeared off the screen on the left-hand side. Perhaps there is a way to rectify this on the Fire Tv, which I don;t know about?
3. Lastly, if.... (as of 30 mins ago) I mean WHEN i purchase my next Fire TV, will I have to purchase the app again or can I simply log into the new Fore TV and sync apps again and, in effect get it for free on my 2nd / 3rd Fire TV?

1. Yes, since you download it from Amazon

2. No idea. Use the screen setting calibrate option.

3. All purchase from Amazon store grants access to all your Amazon devices (Kindle, Kindle Fire, Fire TV etc...) The next part is how many Amazon devices do you have right now or you plan to purchase in the future. For Google Play, iOS, Amazon, I think you can install a purchased app up 5 devices, some even more. This varied depend on developer and app. You are best asking the developer, but it is guarantee that you have access up to 5 devices.

Last, I am not sure about your obsession with Airplay. Since the Fire TV allows installation of XBMC, there are tons of option you can use to stream movies, photos, music over to XBMC. When I means options, I mean network protocol such as FTP, SMB, zeroconf which is designed and supported across all platforms. Airplay is an offspring of iOS system design mostly to work within the iOS ecosystem. The reason why it might not work well with Android apps or other platform is because it is not Apple's intention to bring it to other platforms. It is just because too many people have iOS devices that other 3rd parties try to bring it to other platform, albeit bugs and problems sometimes.

Hrodriguez77

May 28, 2013
Hi all

I'm an avid XBMC user who has been using xbmc on a variety of Android TV boxes, these being the Pivos XIOS DS, OUYA and now the Fire TV which I have had imported from the US (to the UK where I live). As you can see, my choice of Android boxes has been influenced only be the Android devices that xbmc actually sponsor, I haven;t tried to use any other Android box other than those enforced by the xbmc org themselves.

In essence I have been looking for an Android TV box that will replace my two sluggish Apple TV2's.
I've had mixed luck with the Pivos and OUYA namely because of the poor remote controls. My family have never really taken to these two boxes and thus we keep reverting to the ATV2's despite the slow performance.

Having seen fire TV I immediately ordered one from the USA, learned how to install XBMC via adb commands and I must say I'm impressed. To the point where I'm almost ready to get rid of all my current TV boxes (including the ATV2's) and replace them all with Fire TVs.

Moving on, XBMC's internal Airplay server does not work with Android devices, this is the one thing stopping me from getting rid of my ATV2's.... I need Airplay!

I have been reading around the XBMC official forum and some other users are in the same boat as me and they have actually managed to install an Airplay server App to the Fire TV, rather than waiting for XBMC to resolve their broken Android Airplay feature. If I could achieve this I'd be happily slinging my ATV2's out of the window! The app that has reportedly been installed (sideloaded) on to the Fire TV is called AirPlay/DLNA Receiver (PRO) which is a paid app.

Actual question:

I have purchased and installed the aforementioned app onto my (rooted) Galaxy S4, I have no intention whatsoever of actually using the app on my S4, I did this SOLELY to extract the app and install on the Fire TV. I have successfully found the APK file using ES File Explorer and copied it to my PC. However when trying to install the APK to the Fire TV using adb command it fails, with error message:

[INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES]

I'm guessing this is because I am trying to install the app onto a device for which it was not purchased through. Can anyone please help me overcome this problems, I'm really now desperate to have the Fire TV replace all of my current TV boxes, and I've spent a lot of time looking for the ideal device for XBMC + AIrplay. It looks like I'm very close to achieving my goal and just need some help from some of the experts on there to overcome the final hurdle (Airplay). I've messaged the guy on the XBMC forum that has claimed to have installed this app on his FIRE TV but he has not replied to me. I can;t really post this question oin the xbmc forums becuase I'm not asking for support for xbmc's Airplay server, I'm asking a question more related to sideloading an app with missing certificate that I've actually paid (albeit on a another device).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Adit - XDA newbie.

I had this exact problem with the same app. If you root your device, you can enable installing from unknown sources. From there you can just push the apk to your fire tv, and install it manually, bypassing the certificate error. This method worked for me, however after using the app for a few minutes, you will get a pop up saying that the app was not purchased on the device and it stops working. As a last resort, I emailed the creator of the app, and within 24 hours, he was able to activate the app using your MAC address. You just have to show him proof of purchase. Of course this was before I got the google play store installed on the FTV, which would have saved me a lot of time.

Adit18

Jun 25, 2014
@z31fanatic - Thanks, the video calibration tool worked a treat 2% for me. Now all apps show properly on the screen. I've had to stretch XBMC calibration out a bit as a result but that's fine. Thanks very much to you, thanks added.
@vi6s - Thanks for the replies, good to know the app will be auto updated if and when the original developer releases an update. I reckon I'll need to use the app on around 4-5 devices eventually, so a 5 device limit should do me just about ok.
Regarding Airplay, there isn't an obsession, just a need for non tech-savvy people in the home (wife and kids) to be easily able to beam photos and home-made videos to the big screen. Airplay hands down the easiest way to to do this I'm sure you'd agree.
@Hrodriguez77 - It is excellent that you had the idea to contact the developer in this way. I did the same but sadly just to request a refund. I didn't think the developer would be interested in what I was trying to achieve (extracting his file to use on another device). However it seems the developer is good guy (and indeed this is the case as he has refunded me). Once question though, how is your video streaming working? Meaning videos that you've shot on your phone / tablet, if you beam those videos to the Fire TV how does it cope?

moeduss

Feb 19, 2012
Install blackmart.apk and you can get those apps no cost. Haven't tried it yet on the fire tv but it works on everything else no problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

moeduss

Feb 19, 2012
Ok sorry didn't think about that, won't happen again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

WaxRain

Jul 2, 2014
Voice from the Developer

Dear all,
I am the developer of Airplay/DLNA receiver. I am sorry to see the terrible experience of side loading our app on your Fire TV.I have submitted my app to Amazon app store now. It is still under review. Several days will be gone before you can see it on Amazon app store.Before that I will provide a simpler way to try our app for 3 days.
You can download our latest apk from here: h t t p://download.waxrain.com/AirPlayer_Signed_PRO/AirPin_PRO.apk
and you can directly install it on your Fire TV .
You can try it for 3 days. 3 days later it will pop out the message of "unauthorized".
If you want to purchase it, you can find an android phone to purchase our app from Google Play ,and tell us the order number and the mac address of your fire TV(which can be found in the "about the app" part of setting in our apk)to authorize. (email: waxraindev@gmail.com) Or you can purchase it on Amazon app store in the future.

I am new on the forum, the real link format is not supported to paste.Please adjust by yourselves. Sorry.

Last edited:

evaporic

Aug 3, 2011
Detroit
Dear all,
I am the developer of Airplay/DLNA receiver. I am sorry to see the terrible experience of side loading our app on your Fire TV.I have submitted my app to Amazon app store now. It is still under review. Several days will be gone before you can see it on Amazon app store.Before that I will provide a simpler way to try our app for 3 days.
You can download our latest apk from here: h t t p://download.waxrain.com/AirPlayer_Signed_PRO/AirPin_PRO.apk
and you can directly install it on your Fire TV .
You can try it for 3 days. 3 days later it will pop out the message of "unauthorized".
If you want to purchase it, you can find an android phone to purchase our app from Google Play ,and tell us the order number and the mac address of your fire TV(which can be found in the "about the app" part of setting in our apk)to authorize. (email: waxraindev@gmail.com) Or you can purchase it on Amazon app store in the future.

I am new on the forum, the real link format is not supported to paste.Please adjust by yourselves. Sorry.

I have installed the play store on firetv and purchased your app. It works well for airplay mirroring but when I try to airplay videos from my iPhone 5s it buffers constantly even though my internet speed is up to 50 Mbps. What do you suggest?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do not know how to fix your certificate error, but a new app released yesterday for the Fire TV claims to do AirPlay. Here is the app.

If that doesn't work and you can't figure out how to fix the certificate issue, you can try installing the Google Play Store onto the Fire TV and see if you can download the app directly.