[Kernel] [Sprint] [1.4/1.2 OC] Bauxite Kernel - 2/12/11 -V3.3

Search This thread

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
Extremely Alpha Code

Hey everyone...

I've developed what I think is the first 1.2ghz overclock for the Galaxy tab Sprint ONLY.

WARNING: THIS KERNEL MAY NOT WORK ON YOUR DEVICE, MIGHT DESTROY YOUR DEVICE, MIGHT PUNCH YOUR CHILDREN, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THIS KERNEL, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Whew... now that the warning is out of the way I present a 1.4/1.2 overclock based off of the details here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=943669

Quadrant Score: 1129
Linpack Score: 19.29

You will want to unpack the zImage and push it over with Heimdall, while in download mode (hold down power + vol-down until you get the download mode screen).

FOR OTHER DEVELOPERS
------------------------------------------
As I stated before, if you follow the link above and modify the exact same lines you can add this to you kernels as well.. however the file names are different, the files you want to modify are..
arch/arm/plat-samsung/max8998_consumer.c
arch/arm/plat-samsung/s5pc11x-dvfs.c
arch/arm/mach-s5pv210/clock.c

The last one took me forever to grep and find...

This is just the first of many versions, I will look into other CPU frequencies and voltages, lets see how far we can push this baby.

Donate!

Attachments

• zImage-2_0.7z
    4.5 MB · Views: 2,108
  • BauxiteKernV3.7z
    4.6 MB · Views: 577
  • BauxiteKernV31.7z
    4.7 MB · Views: 659
  • v33-EXT4ONLY.7z
    5.4 MB · Views: 721
Last edited:

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
V3.3 --- EXT4 ONLY Kernel... only use this if you are on ext4

V3.1 --- Fixed Ext4(?) NOPE

V3.0 --- Based on EA24 Source - untested with older software. Adds EXT4 (broken)

V2.0 --- 1.4/1.2 GHZ OC, reverted previous changes, NO EXT4 (yet..) ONLY FOR SPRINT, USB FIXED - based on koxudaxi's patch
You'll want to use the voltage control app here:

V1.2 --- 1.2 ghz OC, 1.35 Overvolt (for stability), ext2/3/4/rfs
V1.1 --- Added 1ghz back in as a choice, reset your setcpu to select it.
V1.0 --- Added 1.2ghz overclock (replaced 1.0ghz default, will fix later)

Last edited:

maxjivi05

May 28, 2009
Lexington, KY
Testing now but awesome work!! Works like a charm! I would take it it would run stable about the same speeds as the other Hummingbird processors at normal voltage ( 1200 ) and lower voltages at 1440 just fine but who knows

This is with this Kernel and OCLF.
(LinPack 17.5)
(Quad Score 2369)
(SmartBench 1469 3344)

Last edited:

Technomancer

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 15, 2010
SF Bay Area
How about just setting #define USE_1DOT2GHZ 1 in s5pc11x-dvfs.c and in linux/arch/arm/mach-s5pv210/cpu-freq.c?
That should switch everything to 1.2GHz tables that Samsung nicely prepared for us?
it seems to work for me just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeebspawnshop

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
Are you sure it works without altering clock.c? Until I changed that file my device was reporting 1.2ghz but it was still super slow.

EDIT: nvm, you're right. Changing that would change clock.c as well. I don't plan on using the default tables, but it's a good place to start if you want to stick to default values. I know this thing can do more than 1.2ghz.

Sent from my galaxy tab

Last edited:
Reactions: idumych and nzaw4

futuregerald

Jun 15, 2007
Bronx
This sounds awesome, I'm curious if it makes a big difference in performance and how it affects battery life, those of you that use it please post your experiences! Thanks! I know using custom kernels on my N1 makes a huge difference though so I'm hoping this does too...

jamiemac1977

Jan 7, 2011
London, UK
Looking forward to seeing how much difference this makes, my n900 i clock to 1.2ghz from the default 600 clock (downclocked cortex A7 @ 600mhz default). so pretty sure the tab should do 1.4 or so faultlessly?

Looking forward to GSM revisions, hopefully Roto may even include this in his roms later (well i'm wishing ^^).

Nice to see someone brave enough to start the ball rolling :)

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
This sounds awesome, I'm curious if it makes a big difference in performance and how it affects battery life, those of you that use it please post your experiences! Thanks! I know using custom kernels on my N1 makes a huge difference though so I'm hoping this does too...

Performance increase is definitely noticeable, a lot less lag all around.

Sent from my galaxy tab

maxjivi05

May 28, 2009
Lexington, KY
had my first lockup with it trying to play 1080p file in vplayer since vplayer don't use gpu to render. But basic video player plays fine just guessing voltage is a little high but who knows still awesome: )

Sent from my SPH-P100 using XDA App

TheCodeBenders

Nov 26, 2007
Washington, DC
Any word on if this will work for vzw?

I just bought a Galaxy tab and I've never built an Android Kernel before but I spent yesterday tearing through the how-to from the CM guys. I'm familiar with C pretty well, so I was glad to see that I'd be building C and not some Java I'd be totally illiterate to. I'm hoping stepping up to these crazy ARM cores from my usual embedded work with AVR's and 32mhz ARMs shouldn't have too terrible a learning curve.

Anyone who's done kernel building for android before: Is it pretty much a straight forward build process? For some of the embedded work I've done with RTOS systems I've spent days digging through memory maps, linker files and assembly code to trouble shoot issues... Just curious if those will be useful skills for android?

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
Any word on if this will work for vzw?

I just bought a Galaxy tab and I've never built an Android Kernel before but I spent yesterday tearing through the how-to from the CM guys. I'm familiar with C pretty well, so I was glad to see that I'd be building C and not some Java I'd be totally illiterate to. I'm hoping stepping up to these crazy ARM cores from my usual embedded work with AVR's and 32mhz ARMs shouldn't have too terrible a learning curve.

Anyone who's done kernel building for android before: Is it pretty much a straight forward build process? For some of the embedded work I've done with RTOS systems I've spent days digging through memory maps, linker files and assembly code to trouble shoot issues... Just curious if those will be useful skills for android?

I actually used the Verizon kernel configuration, since there is no sprint one. I think it should work on Verizon.. make a kernel backup first!

The only difference could be in the initrd but I have no way of knowing until someone tries it.

maxjivi05

May 28, 2009
Lexington, KY
I actually used the Verizon kernel configuration, since there is no sprint one. I think it should work on Verizon.. make a kernel backup first!

The only difference could be in the initrd but I have no way of knowing until someone tries it.

You used the .config file? I spent a few hours trying to get a config file setup right.. then u posted which thank you! Lol

Sent from my SPH-P100 using XDA App

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
The configuration files are stored in arch/arm/configs

There is one for every type of tab

Sent from my galaxy tab

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Extremely Alpha Code

Hey everyone...

I've developed what I think is the first 1.2ghz overclock for the Galaxy tab Sprint ONLY.

WARNING: THIS KERNEL MAY NOT WORK ON YOUR DEVICE, MIGHT DESTROY YOUR DEVICE, MIGHT PUNCH YOUR CHILDREN, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY THIS KERNEL, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Whew... now that the warning is out of the way I present a 1.4/1.2 overclock based off of the details here:

Quadrant Score: 1129
    Linpack Score: 19.29

You will want to unpack the zImage and push it over with Heimdall, while in download mode (hold down power + vol-down until you get the download mode screen).

FOR OTHER DEVELOPERS
    ------------------------------------------
    As I stated before, if you follow the link above and modify the exact same lines you can add this to you kernels as well.. however the file names are different, the files you want to modify are..
    arch/arm/plat-samsung/max8998_consumer.c
    arch/arm/plat-samsung/s5pc11x-dvfs.c
    arch/arm/mach-s5pv210/clock.c

The last one took me forever to grep and find...

This is just the first of many versions, I will look into other CPU frequencies and voltages, lets see how far we can push this baby.

Donate!
    V3.3 --- EXT4 ONLY Kernel... only use this if you are on ext4

V3.1 --- Fixed Ext4(?) NOPE

V3.0 --- Based on EA24 Source - untested with older software. Adds EXT4 (broken)

V2.0 --- 1.4/1.2 GHZ OC, reverted previous changes, NO EXT4 (yet..) ONLY FOR SPRINT, USB FIXED - based on koxudaxi's patch
    You'll want to use the voltage control app here:

V1.2 --- 1.2 ghz OC, 1.35 Overvolt (for stability), ext2/3/4/rfs
    V1.1 --- Added 1ghz back in as a choice, reset your setcpu to select it.
    V1.0 --- Added 1.2ghz overclock (replaced 1.0ghz default, will fix later)
    Are you sure it works without altering clock.c? Until I changed that file my device was reporting 1.2ghz but it was still super slow.

EDIT: nvm, you're right. Changing that would change clock.c as well. I don't plan on using the default tables, but it's a good place to start if you want to stick to default values. I know this thing can do more than 1.2ghz.

Sent from my galaxy tab
    would you be willing to do one for us gsm users if we provide kernals for you

Anyone could do it easily, but I"ll see what I can do. I've gotten ahold of roto's initrd, I just need to grab the source from Samsung. I don't get home until very late in the evening so I can't promise that someone won't beat me to it! :D
    The sensors got messed up with this kernel and the latest software upgrade..

unzip this and place it in /system/lib/hw (backup your old file just in case!)